• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Motley Crew [Doctor Who RP for WhipDing]

DaffodilsAndDragons

you are the one true king
This roleplay is for WhipDing WhipDing

Rhian Kendrick was caught up in the early morning crowd as she stepped onto the tube platform, having just exited her train. It swept her along towards the escalators leading out of the station as if it were a powerful current amidst an ocean. After almost a year living in the city, she was still not used to the morning rush on the Underground. If she were to sit and think about it, Rhian would say that it wasn’t so much the small spaces and overcrowded feeling that made her dislike the experience, it was more the feeling of being one among thousands – feeling about as mechanical as the way in which London ran itself.

That was far too philosophical for her to dwell on for too long. She had somewhere to be! Rhian pressed her Oyster card against the snapping barrier door and glided through onto the street. She quickly crossed the road, just catching the lights at the right time, and stood looking over the Thames. It was a bright, summer morning – the sun wasn’t high enough in the sky to cause too much warmth just yet. Rhian had tried to dress appropriately, shorts and a comfy pair of trainers that were smart enough for job for the day. She straightened her red King’s College London student ambassador t-shirt, re-tying the matching hoody around her waist, though she doubted the weather would call for it.

She checked her phone for the time – 9:05, she had enough time to grab a drink. She walked over to a street cart that she had visited a few times that week. The man, with an accent she still couldn’t pinpoint, greeted her with a friendly good morning as she picked up two bottles of water that sat in his mini fridge. “Could I grab these and a copy of the Guardian please?” she asked, her Welsh accent always sounding thicker when she asked a question.

“Yes Miss!” the man retorted with a smile. “No sweet treat for you this morning?” he asked, having remembered that Rhian normally eyed up the chocolate selection.

“I can’t make a habit of these early morning treats…” she mumbled, handing him her money and pulling her backpack to the front of her to put her water inside, keeping the newspaper in her hand. “Uh, keep the change” she said, waving a hand as she zipped up her bag.

“I will keep it, and you will come back and use it to get a treat when you leave that university this evening!” he said with a wink, tapping the change that was now in his pocket.

“I might need a bit of chocolate after today” she replied with a laugh, saying goodbye and crossing the road.

She opened the paper, startled to find her university among the headlines. ‘King’s College London making leaps and bounds! Scientific research is going through the roof, literally!’ Rhian raised a curious eyebrow at the headline. She was a student of Politics, and a prominent member of the Journalism society – she helped run the university paper. It was fair to say she had taken all the opportunities thrown at her during her first year. Maybe she could ask the student ambassador supervisors if she could pay a visit to the Science department as part of her day’s work to get ideas for some articles. They wouldn’t say no, maybe they’d just deduct her pay slightly.

Rhian was still walking, flicking through the paper as entered the university grounds, the whole area decked out with open day sign boards. It already looked busy, with nervous soon-to-be students, probably already with offers from the university, and equally nervous parents alike. She suddenly bumped straight into someone with a thud, dropping the paper. Slightly winded, she took a step back and watched as the man she had bumped into bent down to pick the paper up, looking at the front page. “Sorry! I should really look where I’m going” she exclaimed, embarrassed at herself. She stared at the man who still hadn’t responded, he was just thumbing through the paper now.

“Any chance I could keep this?” he asked.

“No problem” Rhian responded, she had managed to read the stories she was interested in anyway. She might’ve said no, but she noticed he looked official, he wore a full suit though his hair looked a little untidy. She was about to walk away to register herself in the admin block when he rounded back on her.

“You’re a student ambassador, correct?” he queried, to which she responded with a nod. “Will there be a lot of you walking around, giving tours? I’m especially interested in the physics and engineering department, given all this research going on” he continued with a curious tone.

“There’ll be a bunch of us providing both general and course specific tours throughout the day. Though I’ve heard that its now compulsory to show visitors that department due to its recent successes, I guess it encourages more students to study a scientific subject here! Tours begin at 10AM, follow those signs in that direction” she explained with a smile, pointing towards a pathway.

“Do you know if there’s any chance of a peek behind the scenes?” he wondered. “For a professor like myself” he added, pulling out his identification. It read ‘Doctor John Smith, PhD Physics at University of Cambridge’. Rhian immediately straightened up, a little journalistic switch went off in her brain.

“That could probably be arranged, Sir” she said curtly and with a sweeter smile than before. “I’m not the right person for this tour because I study BA Politics and IR, but if you follow me I can get someone on admin to sort something out”. The man grinned as the pair walked towards the admin building.

“What are the requirements like to study here?” he asked as they climbed some stairs.

“For my course, it was three A grades, for the sciences I think its slightly lower – though I’ve heard rumours that the requirements are being raised in the next year. I think the university is trying to get the best of the best”

“I think students who can achieve what you achieved are pretty much the cream of the crop” he said with a shrug. Rhian’s lips curled into a smile at the professor’s compliment.

“I don’t know, there are a lot of people here who got three A*s. Thank you though” she replied as they entered the building. She quickly darted towards some boards that had lists of names on, putting a signature next to hers as the professor trailed after her. He looked down at the newspaper in his hands.

“You bought a newspaper earlier” he commented, to which Rhian gave him a confused smile. “Not many people, or students, actually buy a newspaper any more”.

“I’m part of the writing team for the university newspaper, which is the responsibility of the Journalism society” she explained, his face split into a wide grin.

“Ah, a journalist!” he exclaimed. “If I manage to get this behind the scenes tour, maybe I could ask after you to join me?” he queried. “Might be a good little column in your paper”. Rhian let out a small laugh, it’s as if he had read her mind earlier – she showed him to the desks where the administrative staff sat behind, talking to a few of the visitors.

“That would be great if you can! My name is Rhian Kendrick, someone will chase me down if you give them my name. Thank you so much, Sir!” she said excitedly, checking the time before rushing back out of the building.

‘John Smith’, The Doctor, gave her a little wave before turning towards the desk, his face turning slightly serious as he approached a woman who was free at the desk. There was something going on at the university, something to do with this new research they kept pumping out. He might need someone like Rhian to provide a bit of context about the university, but he needed that tour first.

“Hello!” he said merrily to the receptionist, explaining who he was and what he wanted at breakneck speed to the seated woman.

Rhian on the other hand, had exited the building and was back out onto the grounds. She was told she'd be on 'general' tours today, which she was pleased about - it'd be easy to break away from if that professor managed to get her on this tour. It might even make her own tours better. It was getting close to 10AM and visitors were starting to gather, she clapped her hands together, motivating herself for what was the start of a long day.

Alden squirmed his way through the crowded carriage, his ticket hastily stuffed into his pocket. So far, this little trip had not gone well.

The train ride here from his home city had been largely uneventful, to be fair, but it'd really gone downhill from there. As soon he'd stepped off, and the train had started pulling off to its next destination, he had immediately realized that the backpack with everything he'd needed for the night, that he'd lugged all the way here, was, of course, still on the train. A quick conversation with the station-master later, and he was stuck in London for the night without anything but the clothes on his back.

Well, and money. Enough to afford a toothbrush and a change of clothes, as it turned out, and more than enough to afford the ticket he needed for his day-pass on the tube. As it turned out though, having money did nothing to improve his sense of direction. He'd transferred from line-to-line, most likely choosing the longest possible route, eventually finding his way to the station he needed to be at. Upon surfacing, however, he'd found himself in totally the wrong place, his journey misguided from the beginning. Another half-an-hour later, and he had finally arrived at the right place.

Thankfully, he'd had the foresight to have arrived in London a little early, so he reckoned he could still make the first tour of the day, hopefully avoiding the worst of the crowds in Kings College. What he couldn't avoid was the crowds outside of it, swarming around in every direction. He sighed inwardly - even if he did get into this university, maybe London just wasn't for him. His parents had suggested that he attend this open day alone, to build "independence" or whatever, and perhaps they right.

He squinted his eyes as he stepped out into the light, leaving the shaded metro station behind. He'd managed to dress pretty well for the weather, donning a simple t-shirt and jeans, but he felt pretty under-prepared after losing most of his stuff. It could turn chilly or rain at any moment, and he didn't even have a hoodie to keep his arms warm, let alone a raincoat. Perhaps he was just being paranoid, but it still didn't feel good.

Trying to weave his way through the unrelenting flood of people (and getting the occasional push for his troubles), he moved in the general direction of the university, eventually making it through. He supposed the crowds were just temporary - people were likely making their way to work around this time, he guessed - but he couldn't really imagine this place ever being empty. Still, things seemed a little more docile on the university grounds, presumably because these people had actually reached their destination, rather than being in the process of rushing over there. Even so, the sheer number of bodies was suffocating.

But now where to? He was clearly in the right place, with everyone else here having the same slightly bewildered look on their faces. He stood on his tip-toes, trying to get a better view of the area around him. A quick glance gave him everything he needed - he spotted a girl wearing a bright red t-shirt, the "Kings College Student Ambassador" emblem emblazened proudly across the front of it. He once again pushed his way through the sea of people, his small frame actually working to his advantage, and joined the small group that had coagulated around the ambassador. Not wanting to draw any unnecessary attention to himself, he hung towards the back of the group.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vivian listened to the suited man, a forced smile etched onto her face. He sure talked a lot, huh? Most of the time, she got away with just waving a sign-in sheet in the faces of the visitors, or just giving them the directions they needed and not-so-subtly shooing them off. But this guy, he just wouldn't stop talking, a fact she would have made bluntly clear to him if she wasn't being all 'professional' right now. He eventually got around to flashing her his ID, and...yeah, that made a lot of sense. He was one of those eccentric professor types. Typical.

His request was a little bizarre, though. A private tour? She'd known that the science department had been doing pretty well lately, but geez, did he really need to see it today of all days? Getting all the people organized for the open day was already a logistical nightmare, and they were running pretty short-staffed as it was. Yet another thing she'd love to tell him right this moment. But, of course, all she could be do was give him a nice, wide smile and well, accommodate him.

"Hold on one second, please," she said, smile now threatening to rip her face in half. She picked up the phone receiver to her right, and dialed a number with practiced ease. As she spoke to whoever was on the other end, her other hand unconsciously grasped her ball-point pen, gently and rhythmically tapping it off the tabletop.

"A Dr. Smith, from Cambridge, sir," she replied, crossing her legs over, her eyes glazing over slightly as she listened. Ugh. The knee-length pinstripe skirt she'd ended up wearing had proven to be horrendously uncomfortable, something that had plagued her already through this morning. But, if she wanted to keep this job, she'd have to get used to it - it was either this, or go back to stocking shelves in Tesco. Didn't mean she had to be happy about it, though.

"Okay, sir. Thank you." Hanging up, she looked back up at the young professor. Really young, now that she thought about it. "Looks like you're in luck, Dr. Smith. There's a more in-depth tour of our science facilities starting in five minutes with one of our very own professors, Dr. Kang. It's more for potential investors, but he has said that he'd be happy to have you along."

She stood up, still grasping her pen in one hand. "Right this way, sir." Motioning with her free hand for the professor to follow, she walked out and around from her desk, another woman taking her place only a few seconds later. Her smile persevered, but her professional working attitude began to slip somewhat. She just had to say something. "Um, between you and me... Dr. Kang is a little... um, odd. So don't be surprised if he gets a little, well... you'll see."

DaffodilsAndDragons DaffodilsAndDragons

The Doctor had a gleeful smile painted across his face. That psychic paper always did wonders getting him where he needed to be - it only failed on the best of the best. What a helpful woman, he thought - lacking the intuition in that present moment to read her smile as a largely false one. He followed the woman down a hallway, starting at her with sudden fascination upon her warning about this Dr. Kang. A potential lead? Perhaps.

"How do you mean o-" he began, cut off by the sudden sound of footsteps hurtling towards him. The Doctor turned towards the sound, and bustling down the corridor came Dr. Kang. He looked, well, average. He was from some sort of Asian descent, bit shorter than the Doctor and the receptionist - a tiny bit tubby but who wasn't in this day and age.

"Dr. Smith, from Cambridge! How wonderful!" he exclaimed in what turned out to be a pretty standard London accent, thrusting his hand towards the Doctor for a handshake. The Doctor complied, but made a slight grimace. Dr. Kang was a bit...clammy. He must've noticed the Doctor's face and he smiled apologetically. "Sorry about that, it's a bit warm today, don't you think? Very warm" he bumbled, taking a handkerchief from his pocket and wiping his brow. The Doctor shrugged, the temperatures were in the highs for the day, some people were more prone to it he guessed. "I'll take you to the guest lounge first"

"I thought the tour was in five minutes?" he questioned, looking back at the receptionist. Dr. Kang smiled,
"Yes, yes - not a real private tour without an introduction and some complimentary drinks? Need to impress our esteemed guests after all, spread the word about this fantastic research!" he explained, to which the Doctor raised a brow to. "Uh, you - desk girl, make sure you sign Dr. Smith on the register of today's important guests. Don't dawdle about it" Dr. Kang said, waving his hand in a dismissive manner starting to walk down the corridor. The Doctor scoffed to himself and the woman under his breath.

"Desk girl? The cheek of it!" he exclaimed under his breath. "Thanks for your help, uh?" he looked at the tiny name badge. "Vivian, or Viv - can I call you Viv?" he said quickly, starting to chase after the excitable Dr. Kang. "Sorry, go to go!" he called, disappearing from the view of Vivian and down a different corridor. He arrived in an executive lounge, full to the brim of posh-looking folks. A glass of some sort of alcohol was thrust into his hand by Dr. Kang, who made a beeline for some other important looking guests, leaving the Doctor staring around in wait.

-------------------------------

Rhian watched as a group of people slowly came to form around her, she wore a smile just as bright as her t-shirt. There was a way to act and behave around people, and she knew how to do it. If she knew anything about her own university experience, having a half-arsed student give you a lousy tour did not give the best impression. She swung her backpack to her front and took a swig of water, before grabbing some thin brochures off the side of a wall, handing them to a person at the front to give to the people behind.

"Hello everyone! My name's Rhian, I'm a first year Politics and International Relations student. If you can't tell by now, I'm about as Welsh as they come. Anyone from across the border here?" she asked cheerily, received a couple of jeers of agreement. "Don't worry though the rest of you, I'm not prejudice against any of the other nations - except when it comes the the rugby" she continued. She felt like she had repeated this shtick too much, but it got her a few laughs and without a few laughs she might've gone nuts by now.

"I'm going to be giving you a general tour of the campus, it'll take about twenty to thirty minutes, depending on the amount of questions, so if at any point you want to wonder off and explore for yourself, please feel free" she explained. As she was about to head off, she turned back to the group with a kinder smile. "If you do have any questions, even if you think they're silly, please don't be afraid to ask - I wish I had asked more. I bet someone in the group is probably thinking the same thing anyway!"

WhipDing WhipDing

Vivian didn't have time to reply to either of the two men before they both disappeared, but the look of disapproval and mild disgust was something she couldn't hide. She hadn't had many encounters with Dr. Kang before, but they'd all been equally unpleasant. It didn't seem to matter when or why she'd needed to talk to him, he'd always managed to say something rude, or creepy, or just downright offensive... Yuck. Just the thought of him made her feel violated.

As she walked back down to the front desk, though, she couldn't help but wonder about that Dr. Smith. She hadn't really thought about it before, but was pretty weird to just walk into a London university and just ask for a private tour. Especially if he'd come all the way from Cambridge - wouldn't he have at least phoned ahead, just to make sure it was even worth coming over? It didn't make much sense, really. Then again, she was still pretty new around here, so maybe that's just how they did things.

She took the closest free seat when she reached the desk, scribbling down the name of the professor on the guest sheet, before hastily getting the sign-in sheets together. The public tours were about to begin in a minute, and when they did, things were going to get really, really hectic. It was going to take all her focus just to keep things even remotely sane.

...But still, she was curious. It really wasn't the time, but she pulled out her phone and googled her way to the University of Cambridge website. As it turned out, there was a Dr. Smith teaching at Cambridge. A 73 year-old Dr. Smith. Who looked nothing like the man who she'd just let in.

Before she could figure out exactly what to do about it, the front doors were propped open, and people began flooding in. But as she hurriedly began signing people in, fake smile plastered on again, she became increasingly worried. Depending on who this man was, her job could be in danger - or worse. There was nothing she could do right now though; she'd have to wait until things died down out here.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alden took a glance at the brochure that'd made its way to him, noting how colourful it was, before folding it up and sliding it into his pocket to be forgotten about until later. After a minute or two, the girl giving the tour started talking, although the crowd of people made it difficult to see anything but the top of her head. She actually sounded pretty enthusiastic, something he was thankful for -the last open day he'd been on had been full of dull, most likely unwilling student guides who were clearly just been trying to get things finished as soon as possible, which wasn't great for anyone involved.

Eventually, she started moving off, but in such a way that she almost walked around the group to get to the entrance of the main building. As a result, Alden now found himself much closer to the front of the crowd, gently being forced along by the people now behind him. Not the most comfortable of places to be, but he stuck with it for now, keeping his hands tucked into his pockets to avoid knocking into anybody.

At was at this point that the girl - Rhian, was it? - mentioned questions, and well, he actually had one, so he raised his arm into the air somewhat instinctively. He held it there for a second or two before realizing that she was already looking straight at him, clearly waiting for him to say something.

"Oh, um... I was just wondering, uh... how many people are usually in each lecture?" This was actually something that'd been playing on his mind for a while now - he had this image of hundreds of people stuffed into one room, something that seemed incredibly unappealing to him. Still, he probably could have found a better time to ask than immediately before the tour.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dr. Kang continued to bumble around the executive suit, giving the same over-enthusiastic, slightly awkward handshake and greeting to everyone in the room. As he did so, he studied each person from head to toe, nodding and mumbling under his breath. And then, upon finishing, he gave a distracted bow and moved on to the next person.

Within a few minutes, he'd introduced himself to everyone, and was back to where he'd started. He glanced around the suite, taking a second look at everyone, whilst pulling out his handkerchief once again and heavily dabbing his forehead. His eyes eventually locked gaze with the Doctor, upon which he gave a bombastic smile. He held this gaze for just a fraction of a second too long, before looking away and clearing his throat.

"Hello, hello, everyone! I'd just like to thank you all for accepting your invitations, we're so, so glad that you could make it here today!" He wiped his forehead yet again. "It really is quite hot in here, isn't it? Must be a heating malfunction, hmm? Anyway, the tour is about to begin, so if you'd all like to follow me, we'll be starting with our physics department..."

And with that, he gave another over-exaggerated bow, before motioning to the group to move through an open set of double doors.

Last edited:
"For a humanities or social science course, I'd say there's probably around 80-100, it all depends on the popularity of the module as well. Hard sciences tend to have double that. I've been lucky enough this year to sit in a few that only had about 60. A lot of your contact hours will be seminars too, of course, which is in a group of around 15" she explained kindly, looking at him and the rest of the group accordingly. She had hoped a question like this would come up.

There were a couple of follow up questions after the initial one, which proved her statement on how everyone usually thought the same things when they came to open days. Not before long, she was giving the tour properly; walking around and pointing things out, answering questions and generally trying to be as positive but as honest as she could. A bit of honesty went a long way.

Soon the tour was coming to an end, arriving in a large square that had a number of facilities dotted around - toilets, cafes, that kind of stuff. "Thank you so much for sticking around guys" she said to the group, who had mostly stayed in tact. "Most of you were humanities students so I didn't bother to take you around by the science departments, but if anyone is curious please let me know, I'm going to be having a really quick drink break and we can shoot off after that!" she explained. A few people drifted away, but a number stayed; the news about the work physics and engineering were doing must be spreading fast.

Rhian turned to the boy who had asked the first question, now standing off to the side on his own, and gave him a small smile as she got her bottle of water out of her bag. "Do you fancy sticking around?" she asked him. "I know you're doing Philosophy" she said, pointing at the brochure about the course in his hand "But all the same, it's hard not to be interested by the 'leaps and bounds' they are making here" she said, putting a joking emphasis on the 'leaps and bounds'.

------------------------------

The Doctor couldn't help but feel a sense of unease about the way Dr. Kang was acting; his energetic enthusiasm over the research might've been appreciated if it felt, well, more genuine. It felt like he was looking for something in particular from the people in the room; recognition and money. That being said, he thought, isn't that exactly what universities want?

Dr. Kang showed them through the double doors into a large laboratory, slightly tinted windows hiding it from the brightness of the sun. The air conditioning was pretty immense in this room, the Doctor almost reached to pull his trench coat around him, forgetting it wasn't there. There were a couple of scientists dotted around, presumably professors like Dr. Kang, as well as around 2-3 students at each station, fiddling with mechanics.

The group of visitors were given free reign of the room, and the Doctor wandered up to one of the tables without a professor, hands in his pockets. The students, who by their identification cards were all Psychics third years, greeted him with a friendly hello. The Doctor cocked his head to one side as he examined the mechanics they were working with, a sudden concern washed across his face.

"Can you explain to me how you accomplished the processing on these parts?" he said, pointing to the magnificently worked pieces of metal. Slowly, but surely, the students explained proudly the calculations behind their work. The Doctor couldn't believe it, it was genius. Far more genius than they should be at that level of their education...or any level of education on Earth. He thanked them, wishing them luck on their dissertations, before slowly making his way around the room, hearing the same sort of madness each time.

Alden was satisfied by Rhian's answer, giving a small nod of thanks, even if he was not particularly thrilled by it. Really, he was a lot more comfortable with smaller groups - maybe this university wasn't for him after all.

...No, he was just making excuses again. It was pretty likely that any uni he went to would be similar, and even if it wasn't, it was a pretty crap reason to pick one over another. It was just a hurdle that he'd have to get over, one way or another.

He continued with the rest of the group as they moved through the building, taking in as much detail as he could. It was... quite nice, actually. The facilities were definitely impressive, and the various departments they briefly wondered through seemed to know what they were doing, which was better than some he'd seen before. The humanities areas in particular really did appeal to him, the large collections of books and materials looking actually useful, rather than token. What sold him most though, was Rhian's attitude to it all - she portrayed it pretty well, but was pretty open about the drawbacks too. It was a welcome change from the 'this is the best place ever' tours he'd had before.

Of course, he still had his reservations. It just all seemed so... different. So busy and complicated. Was he really ready for something like this?

But even so, when Rhian came over and asked if he'd be sticking around, he simply gave a nonchalant shrug.

"Sure, why not? I guess it be nice to see what everyone making such a fuss over..."

And really, why not? Maybe it wasn't a good use of his time, and maybe he shouldn't be caring about things that didn't involve him, but... well, he was here all day anyway. Having a nice tour guide was pretty swaying too. And besides, if he did end up going here, wouldn't it be best to know as much as he could about it?

And so, as they moved off again, he quite happily followed through, this time a little more confidently.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Vivian rushed through each of the visitors who came up to her desk, hurriedly scribbling down their names and shooing them through. She was probably coming across as a little rude (although apparently not quite enough for people to comment on it), but she really didn't care right now. She'd just let some randomer who'd pretended to be someone else into the building, who could be here for who knows what, and delivered him straight to Dr. Kang of all people, and of course, she'd been the only one to 'check' his ID. Her already fragile job seemed to be in pretty bad position.

After a few more crowds of people flooded in, things finally started to slow down, the early morning backlog mostly worked through. This was good, but it'd been almost half an hour since she'd made her mistake. A lot of bad things could have happened in that time. She looked around for a way out of here - all needed was someone to...

"Hey, Karen, take over for me, would ya? I need to go take a leak."

The woman nodded, walking over so they could swap seats. Vivian simultaneously stood up and zipped off into a corridor, gripping the pen in hand tighter as she became more and more nervous. What was she even going to do when she found this guy? She'd looove to just march right up to him and demand some answers, but was that really the best idea? Any other time maybe, but even in a situation like this, dropping her professionalism seemed risky, especially in front of Dr. Kang.

Ugh, this day was really not going well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back