A Mistake || Takuoto of the East - Knight

Dark Souls

Prepare to Die Edition

It took a great amount of time for Takuoto to really digest his current situation. He was laid upon the stone floor of a cell that, under normal circumstances, he'd have sent someone else to. It occured to him that, some time ago, a neighbor had spoken to him, asking why he was there. "I hurt someone," he finally thought to say. without thinking to wait for a reply, he continued recounting his story, moreso for his own benefit than that of anyone else. "I was in the same place I always was..."

-=+=-

That day, he had been placed among a group of Warriors at the front gates of the castle plaza, appointed with guiding them in keeping all citizens outside and all authorized inside. He stood in the center in a suit of shining plate armor, with the tip of his trusted greatsword buried between the pavestones before his polished sabatons. His steelen hands rested on the crossbar of the weapon's hilt, which flew in line with his shoulders. From his all-covering helmet spread two great plumes of curved white feathers, likely stripped from some rare bird in a foreign wilderness. Every bit of his attire was a trophy in his own right, placed upon his body not to represent him, but the King whose property he protected. As was his duty, and he responsibility shone brightly through the light reflected off his plate, which served to further dull the leather of the Warriors beside him who, though probably equally talented and with equipment just as well maintained, were not blessed with his rank, nor were they burdened with his responsibilities. As it was, they were the two extra swords at his side, just as important but nowhere near as present. Of course, none of the three there envied each other, as they understood their duties and were willing to put aside their personal ambition at the time. Theirs was a contentment which transcended things like envy or want.

Takuoto was once in their position, lowly Warriors who were proud to be given such a duty like walking the walls for hours at a time or standing guard in a hallway nobody used. Being an immigrant in his youth, employment alone was a grand thing to be given, and a wondrous achievement to earn. It had taken many a year's worth of extraneous work and combating prejudice in the workplace on top of the typical dose of difficult-to-tolerate human beings to make any progress at all. Nonetheless, he eventually stood as he did now, one of the primary figureheads of the kingdom, and he was thankful to be there with the respect of almost all around him.

"Step back from the gate," Takuoto called for the third time since their shift had begun. Occasionally, a citizen would be curious and stray a tad bit too close to the gates, and needed to be told away. "The following area is off-limits." His already-deep voice was muffled and reflected as it traveled through his helm, giving the resulting noise a ring that ensured even the blind would be aware of just who they were talking to, and the authority that was commanded. However, it was clear that the person he spoke to, a raggedy individual who seemed beyond poor in income judging by how he carried himself in a torn cloak to the castle plaza's gates, must have been deaf as well, as they continued their approach without hesitation. "Do not worry," the man informed them. "I come bearing a gift for you."

Takuoto merely repeated his warning, this time wrapping a hand around the handle of his greatsword for emphasis. Gifts or no, he had orders to allow no one close, and he would see them through completely. Perhaps his mindset was cruel, but it was effective, as the man finally paused. With a bit of a sad look upon his face, he reached into the folds of his cloak to bring something out of them. Takuoto waited to see what it was, and as it passed the edge of the stranger's cloak he witnessed coming from it a bright orange glow, and he acted. In a swift motion he took off at a sprint, carrying his greatsword along through the pavement until he had closed enough distance, where he brought it upward through the stranger, the honed blade cutting ruthlessly and tearing through his chest with no trouble at all. The man was brought upward slightly, and then fell backward onto the roadspace.

The Warriors had caught up with swords drawn, but unlike what Takuoto had expected, they were pointed to him, rather than the stranger. Similarly, archers on the wall had begun zeroing crossbows. Outraged, he questioned why they directed weapons to him, to which they explained he had struck down an innocent civilian. "He had drawn flame!" Takuoto insisted, referencing the orange-glowing magic he'd seen. When he turned to look upon the fallen man again, however, he saw that it was not flame, but rather a brightly shining gem set into a masterfully crafted golden ring, which emitted an orange light when the sun touched it. The ring was a gift, from a goldsmith who had poured the whole of his gratitude for the Kingdom into it, and who now lay dead at the ricipient's feet.

-=+=-

"I made a mistake, and I was punished." Takuoto felt the cold of interior stone against his skin, which bore the proud plate armor of a knight no longer, and instead was covered only in the most essential places by cloth even less flattering than the cloak of the man he'd killed. His bare form was that which would be expected of someone bearing such a responsibility, with a broad frame filled in with flesh fit for a defender of Wyrcolm. His smooth face and narrow eyes, the most out-of-place traits for a human being to bear in a western kingdom, melded back into black hair which was braided away to preserve space for whatever helm he may wear. Whether that braid would ever be necessary again was purely up to chance.

There, laying against the floor of the cell and staring up at the ceiling that was barely lit by the sconce in the hall, he imagined a pleasant scenario in his head, where the Gods had forseen something he couldn't. Perhaps the man had some ulterior motive, and Inrus had enraged the knight so as to prevent later disaster while Voluna, who he normally trusted to guide his hand, averted her eyes for but a moment. And if the man was innocent after all, then maybe lord Urbain could save him, and if not, give him a good home in whatever realm the dead go to. These thoughts gave him some solace, but above all he wished that such a thing didn't have to happen to begin with.

However, he remembered his environment proper, and that there was someone attempting to speak with him. He recalled some of what she'd said, and felt a bit bad for having ranted on about himself. "I'm sorry for what happened to you," he offered. "You wanted something else, and were punished for pursuing it. I can't say if I know the feeling, but I don't agree with how it was handled." Takuoto began wondering how things might have changed for her if he was placed on her case. If he'd been aware, he probably could have played it out differently.

She seemed to understand his current state, as her face didn't show much anger. Then again, it didn't show much of anything other than an expression of neutral fatigue. Whether she was bothered was actually rather difficult to figure out. Eventually she did speak up, saying simply, "At least you try," and leaving it there. There was some semblance of a smile breaking her lips before she turned away and moved to lay upon the ground herself. With his thought having focused on her for even so little time, he couldn't help but think more. According to her words, this person had been sworn to someone, but found love somewhere else and acted on it. True, her husband may have been offended, but Takuoto couldn't find much else wrong with it. She judged her actions as a mistake, and tried to fix it. He knew that he'd made an error himself, guided or otherwise, but what had he done to atone? Sit in a slightly uncomfortable room? What's worse is that her change wasn't very different from his decision to travel here in the first place, and yet he was rewarded beyond measure, albeit a bit roughly. How was that fair?

Clearly, he hadn't done enough, and here was someone else calling for his support. He could do right, if he wanted to, even in a place like this. He rose from the stone and approached the bars at a kneel, wrapping his hands about the iron. "How can I help?" he asked.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accepted

The woman glanced up a him through the bars with a sad look in her eyes that was only amplified by the expression upon her lips. "W-what could you do..." she whispered helplessly before averting her gaze once more, wrapping her arms around herself.

"I could-" Takuoto stopped himself from offering to free her. For all the pity in the world, he had no such power anymore. Behind these bars, his history meant nothing, and naked on the floor he had no armor to represent him, nor a weapon to speak for him. Just what did he count for here? He hadn't thought much of it before, but he began to grow angry that his fate could lead him to such an unfitting end. His actions were erroneous, but he still had some pride of his own left.

He spoke again, finishing his statement. "I could free you," he said. He nodded toward a nearby wall of stone. "Tell me to break apart this wall, and I will. Tell me to bring down these bars, and I will." A great deal of his new motivation came from how the situation personally offended him, but even then, much more of it was a result of his remnant dedication to what was now a previous duty. As a knight, his duty was to defend the others within Majula, from each other if necessary, and ensure that right was done by them. Perhaps he wasn't truly capable of tearing down the walls, but he'd certainly try if it meant freeing either of them. From where he now stood, he could see that, in truth, this was not the place they belonged. These walls of stone and steel did not compliment them at all.

"I admire how willing you are to help me..." She replied with faint gratitude before shifting once more and falling silent. Clearly not interested in talking any longer.

Soon the minutes turned to hours, and hours into and unknown length of time. But you begin to feel drowsy despite the sheer lack of physical activity. Maybe it was mental exhaustion, or a way to pass the time for you then closed your eyes either by your own will or threat of passing out. But the blissful sensation didn't last log as you were soon able to feel that something was wrong. Dearly so. A foreign feeling welling up inside of yourself, it being cold and empty as if you had lost something that had been apart of you. Should you open your eyes and look around, you would be greeted with the majestic sight of a grand hall fit for royalty. The walls and floor made of the purest, darkest obision as for the monstrous stained glass windows a pure white in contrast. A voice would then sound behind you. Feminine and firm and gentle all at the same time. "I'm happy to see that you have awoken. Mortals are more difficult to bring here considering I am not already in possession of their soul." Surprised you turn and stand, a throne with a woman sitting upon it before you. She was leaned back and appeared to be middle aged, dark hair spilling off her shoulders as violet eyes examined you carefully. Her right hand, the skin pale, seemed to nonchalantly play with an imperfect orb of light that you felt drawn to. "But first, I am quite curious. Do you know who I am?"

He awoke. He couldn't recall lying down, let alone falling asleep, but he awoke regardless. He found himself in halls unfamiliar, and sprung from the floor as swiftly as he could manage in his tired state. A hand went for the sword he no longer bore, to test its presence, only to be sorely disappointed by empty air at his hip. Memory of recent events returned to him, and he recalled that he'd been stripped to almost nothing. In addition, there was not just a chill at his skin, but one deeper as well, as if his blood had somehow been cooled, and his heart had gone to ice. Takuoto responded to a voice behind by turning toward it, and found himself witnessing the form of an unknown woman, seated atop a blackened throne and wrapped in skin of white. In her hands shimmered a poor-formed orb of solid light, glowing faintly as if to beckon him.

There was a question of whether he knew her. "No," he replied once he could shake off a mighty newfound fatigue. "I've not seen your face, nor your form." Obviously, she had some mystical capabilities, judging by how she could hold something so untouchable as light within her fingers, and he recalled that there were gods who allowed such abilities to those who worshiped them. He never asked such great things of them, instead only praying they guide him away from stupid decisions. "Are you a priest?" he asked, believing that she might have been faithful to Valuna, the god from whom he asked the most of. There remained the matter of where they were and why, but he would not insist all questions be answered in one.

At the mention of a priest, she chuckled. "A priest? Would my husband and children allow one to manipulate the souls of mortals as I am doing with you? Although I must admit... Voluna did have quite the grip on you." Emotion entered her voice for a brief moment as she said the last phrase but it was quickly hidden alway. "With what I just told you, are you any more clear?"

The pale woman spoke of a family, and how they wouldn't allow her to manipulate souls if they knew. She also spoke of Voluna as if she knew the deity on a personal level. By her behavior and her words, it would have been easy to assume she were among the ranks in Solus, but Takuoto did not think himself a fool, and believed he was not worthy to witness the form of a God, let alone speak with them. "You cannot be a God," he claimed of her, adamant of that fact at the very least. "No lord of Solus would tolerate my feet upon their sacred tile, nor my voice against their ears." He regretted that he was pulled from his place while lacking even some modest clothing. Alone with this strange woman and bearing naught but a scrap of cloth more fit to censor than protect him, he began to grow paranoid. Who did he speak to, who refuted the title of Priest, but could not be a God?

Sighing she continued. "A lord I was, but how are you so blind? Who was it that was cast out of Solus by her very children? Who allows undead to walk the earth with extraordinary abilities? You are not in Solus, mortal, but the exact opposite. Therefore I am a goddess, for that title cannot be taken from me, but it can be reassigned. As you are not one of the Children and worship my daughter, you may know me as Sirris the Exiled. Wed to Urbain the heavenly king until I apparently betrayed him when it was my own kin that did so to me." Her voice remained level although notes of anger were partially clear.

She spoke nonsense, he was sure. But yet, brought to a place such as this and witnessing acts he would otherwise deem impossible, Takuoto wondered if he had any right to be skeptical anymore. Regardless of whether she was precisely who she said to be, it was clear she had some similar presence, and he wouldn't so heavily deny such a blatant thing. Still, that left other questions that he felt needed to be answered. "I was a sword of the King, and am now but a criminal. If you speak truth, and you are lady Sirris, formerly of Solus, then for what reason have you brought me to audience? I'm not sure what any immortal would seek from me."

"I do not need anything of you but an answer to a simple question. The prison in which you reside is full of undead. Children of the Abyss. A few have been in my presence before, but most deny any claims. Calling it blasphemous. I plan on freeing as many as possible within the coming days, removing them from the torment of rotting in a cell for eternity. Mortals such as yourself may get caught up in the ruckus and escape along with them. But how long would a human among waves of enraged undead last? A day or two if you're quick?" Pausing a moment as if considering her words, the woman leaned forward in her throne and looked the man in the eye. "No matter your answer I'm not going to steal your soul that I currently am in possession of." Her hest gestured to the small ball of light she held. "You are of your own free will and I respect that. But I will give you a choice. Return to your cell with the hope of eventual escape, or..." A faint smile played upon her lips. "Become a Child of the Abyss. Although hated by man, they did turn their back on you, didn't they? We've both been forsaken. So why not use that against them, hm?" Sirris leaned back. "The choice is yours to decide. Take as long as you need while you remain here for I doubt Voluna would allow me to take hold of you again."

Sirris gave to him two things: A warning and a choice. She told him that among the prisoners in Wyrcolm were a number of Undead, the immortal sub-humans who had been the subject of recent scorn and arrested en masse. It was a topic Takuoto had averted his eyes from. He never claimed to know much about them, and so he avoided speaking for or against the action. It was not the most proud decision he'd ever made.

On the subject of decisions, he was given one to make then. He could return to his previous state, and use his knowledge of the Undead to escape alongside them. Perhaps he could even bring the other prisoner as well, who he'd already promised to assist. On the other hand, he was offered a chance to be reborn through the 'Abyss', and turn back the hatred other men already felt for him. Sirris made it clear that his soul would be hers regardless of her choice, and he couldn't find any ground to argue. A being with the power to take his soul on a whim was not one he could barter much with. Still, he did have something more he wanted out of this supposed deal.

"I will accept your offer," he began, knowing full well that the plan of escape would certainly bear little fruit, if any. "Only, first I want to ask something in return. I ask that I be allowed the strength to defend what bit of humanity deserves to yet live." Thus was his barter. Enemy or ally, he would not swear himself against humanity as a whole, not so soon after being reminded of the ones he lived to protect.

Nodding slowly, her eyes flicked from the man, his soul, and back again. "I think you'll be pleased with the school and power you are going to have access to. In other words, yes. I am not a dictator of your actions nor what you choose to do with your ability so if it is you wish to defend those of humanity that are worth it, so be it. Now then, my Child this is hardly going to be pleasant as dying never is but it shouldn't take all that long. Your soul stone, the gem undead use to change their appearance, will be generated by me for you never went through the ritual to have it formed of your own blood. It should be lying next to you in the form of a ring when you wake." With that she then took his soul in her hand and allowed it to seemingly be absorbed into her palm.

You would soon begin to feel an immense pain as if your heart had abruptly quit functioning. Gasping for breath, you would also be greeted with the horrid sight of your limbs withering, but not more than a moment later, your vision would fade to nothingness.

"Sir? Oh the only person I could converse with is dead..." The woman from the other cell moaned as you stirred, feeling weak and less than you had before. As you did, the other person gasped. "You're alive! But... o-oh my...." The rest of her words died in her throat as her eyes met the black sockets that used to contain yours. She shifted back from the bars a bit, slightly taken aback by fear. "I d-didn't think you were undead..."

What magic will he be learning? 

She didn't fight his suggestion, nor did she display any offense. Rather, it seemed to work alongside whatever she had in plan to begin with. But by her words, she wouldn't control him at all. Even as his very body withered before his eyes, and he collapsed to the ground from legs robbed of their strength, she asked nothing of him in return.

When he awoke once again, he was greeted by a more familiar voice. His prisonmate lamented over his apparent death, only to show surprise a moment later as he moved once again. His eyes blinked open slowly, locking onto a bright light on the ground next to him. A now-weakened arm reached for it, and the light dissipated as his hands wrapped around a rather simple ring. It was the one Sirris had spoken of, and the face was set with an abnormally large rock of a gem, which looked more suited for the spoils of a mine than that of a jeweler. Offensive as it was for anyone with a sane sense of fashion to look at, he still felt that same draw to it that he did for the light which Sirris held before.

The woman in the other cell spoke of him being Undead, and he took a moment to adjust to the feeling before responding. Much like his appearance suggested, much of his strength was gone. He no longer drew breath, nor did he feel the beat of his heart. It was uncomfortable cold, moreso than it had been at the start. Still, his looks did seem a bit deceptive, as his muscles weren't entirely stripped of their abilities. He could still stand, as much as his form implied otherwise, and he could still lift the ring without much trouble. He remembered her remark about his being undead, and replied, "I didn't think as much either." To his surprise, his voice seemed unaffected by the transformation. Still, he chose not to speak of his meeting with the God of the Abyss who changed his body so. He brought the ring upward, slipping it onto a finger and finding it fit perfectly...

Soulstone Ring equipped.

That last bit made me chuckle. You don't need specify what your character puts on again. X3

As it fit, another painful fit would envelope you as your body began to revert to its original form. Fleshing out of the limbs, forming of the eyes, thickening of the hair. It didn't take long before you were almost back to normal albeit extremely sore. The woman in the other cell was still, however, somewhat skeptical and fearful. "How did you hide it? F-from the guards? Surely they would've put you in one of the further cells...."

I'm just the kind of person who feels stuff like this isn't quite complete without a few gamey aspects here and there.

The new pain was not quite as intense, nor was it as sudden, as this time Takuoto was more prepared for such a change to occur. It remained uncomfortable beyond anything he was truly accustomed to, however, though he was thankful to have his strength returned to him. "It's not something I've had to worry about until now," he admitted once his body had finished shifting about. "Thankfully, I never died before." Silently, he hoped that it wouldn't be a recurring theme. He turned back to his friend and spoke again. "When it happened, I was given a prediction," he confessed quietly to her. "There will be an exodus here, driven by the Undead. If you would so choose, you may join and leave during the confusion."

Users who are viewing this thread