A Letter From Those Lost to Fantasy... (Prologue)

"I know but at least I can say that I tried, even if the machine is rigged ninety-nine percent of the time." Koharu then stared at the stuffed animal she wanted and put in her coin and tried again. I only have two more tokens left, better make them count or else I'm going back to my room empty-handed and that will be no fun. 

This time, Koharu went for a white-rabbit plushie. At least someone could tell what animal this one was supposed to look like.

The claw moved slowly down in a straight horizontal line, lining itself up for the next move, the four-pronged claw dangling around as it stopped for a moment.

With another movement of her fingers, Koharu sent the claw back vertcially across the clumps of plushies to find the one she was looking for—the white rabbit with a carrot in its mouth. 

The claw stopped dramatically over the stuffed animal, waiting for the final button press.

As the button was pressed, the claw slowly descended, opening its grasp to recive the incoming prize.

Success! The claw had it secured. So far, so good...

This was it. 

The claw rose up at a snail's pace, wobbling violently as it did so. 

That worked, too!

OK, it was coming back now, closer and closer to the drop-off point...

The rabbit started drooping from the claw's grip, as if the claw itself was getting weaker as it went along.

Suddenly, the plushie fell through.

However! Its long ear was clinging onto the middle clamp of the claw for dear life!

This was it! It was almost there!

Thump.

The stuffed animal finally lost its grip and plummeted onto the top of the glass pane surrounding the drop-off point. It was just sitting there now...

Slowly, surely, the white rabbit tipped over the right side of the glass pane, dropping into the drop-off point.

@CrystalYoshi

"Oh... hey," I say, still managing to be a bit surprised this room isn't empty. Though, there's really no good reason for me to be surprised, it's getting closer to curfew after all. It's a bit strange that he's here by himself though. I thought he was close friends with our other roommate, but I could be wrong about that.

"Kiyotaka isn't with you?" I ask as I start to roll out my futon.

@Captain Gensokyo

"Nah. I decided I just wanted to stay here after a while of walking around. Sure, I'm tired, but I don't ever know when to go to sleep." He admitted, mashing one of the buttons on the side of the handheld. "Hope he doesn't do anything stupid..."

@Venom Adhamm

Last edited by a moderator:
(Think I'll start quoting now since everybody else seems to be doing it)

Kira Kujo

"Nah. I decided I just wanted to stay here after a while of walking around. Sure, I'm tired, but I don't ever know when to go to sleep." He admitted, mashing one of the buttons on the side of the handheld. "Hope he doesn't do anything stupid..."

I don't think staring at a screen, or two, is going to help you with sleeping. I should know, I've spent countless nights playing video games and not being able to sleep because of it. Nevertheless, I nod to Yutaka as I curl up inside my futon.

"Um... feel free to wake me up, if you need anything," I tell my roommate just as I fall asleep.

@Captain Gensokyo

This time, Koharu went for a white-rabbit plushie. At least someone could tell what animal this one was supposed to look like.

The claw moved slowly down in a straight horizontal line, lining itself up for the next move, the four-pronged claw dangling around as it stopped for a moment.

With another movement of her fingers, Koharu sent the claw back vertcially across the clumps of plushies to find the one she was looking for—the white rabbit with a carrot in its mouth. 

The claw stopped dramatically over the stuffed animal, waiting for the final button press.

As the button was pressed, the claw slowly descended, opening its grasp to recive the incoming prize.

Success! The claw had it secured. So far, so good...

This was it. 

The claw rose up at a snail's pace, wobbling violently as it did so. 

That worked, too!

OK, it was coming back now, closer and closer to the drop-off point...

The rabbit started drooping from the claw's grip, as if the claw itself was getting weaker as it went along.

Suddenly, the plushie fell through.

However! Its long ear was clinging onto the middle clamp of the claw for dear life!

This was it! It was almost there!

Thump.

The stuffed animal finally lost its grip and plummeted onto the top of the glass pane surrounding the drop-off point. It was just sitting there now...

Slowly, surely, the white rabbit tipped over the right side of the glass pane, dropping into the drop-off point.

@CrystalYoshi

Koharu looked absolutely star-struck and she opened the flap that held her prize and she held it before smiling at her homeroom teacher before looking at the clock at the wall. "Well, it's getting late so I should get back to my room before curfew, I'll see you tomorrow Ms. Ebina." Koharu gave her teacher a short bow before making her way back to her room and opening the door before going over to the bed she claimed and sitting on it, looking down at the cute rabbit she won.

Around Taiga was a handful of machines—a vending machine, a claw game that the other homeroom teacher and some other student were talking at, an air hockey table in the middle, and a couple of those big arcade machines that looked like capsules that house players when they play the game. There was a screen full of bright colors on the inside of each of the capsule-like machines, but it wasn't easy to discern what this game was actually about from the outside. The sign on the side of the machine said Tsuyoi Gundham.

@Konpaku Youmu

Those sorts of machines always did interest Taiga to some extent. She wasn't sure if it was the sense of immersion that came along with using that sort of interface, or the way she could relax while she played on one, but whatever the case, she decided to try her luck with it. Sure, she had no idea what the game was, or how it played, but the worst that could happen would be that she blew a portion of her trip allowance on it - not much of a big deal, really. With that in mind she set about the task of turning cash into tokens and entering the capsule, waiting for a moment without paying to get a look at the game's demo screen. Surely, that would give her an idea of what she'd be playing.

@Captain Gensokyo

Koharu looked absolutely star-struck and she opened the flap that held her prize and she held it before smiling at her homeroom teacher before looking at the clock at the wall.

"Wow, I guess you're lucky! Hm...a white rabbit...that's completely something you'd expect. Maybe they're just inherently lucky..." Ms. Ebina pondered.

"Well, it's getting late so I should get back to my room before curfew, I'll see you tomorrow Ms. Ebina."

"Oh, alright. Go ahead and get some rest, then!" She advised.

Koharu gave her teacher a short bow before making her way back to her room and opening the door before going over to the bed she claimed and sitting on it, looking down at the cute rabbit she won.

It was fluffy and soft to the touch, despite being a little unkempt overall. It held a little stuffed carrot in its mouth.

"Hey, what'd you get there?" Nanase asked from across the room.

@CrystalYoshi

Those sorts of machines always did interest Taiga to some extent. She wasn't sure if it was the sense of immersion that came along with using that sort of interface, or the way she could relax while she played on one, but whatever the case, she decided to try her luck with it. Sure, she had no idea what the game was, or how it played, but the worst that could happen would be that she blew a portion of her trip allowance on it - not much of a big deal, really. With that in mind she set about the task of turning cash into tokens and entering the capsule, waiting for a moment without paying to get a look at the game's demo screen. Surely, that would give her an idea of what she'd be playing.

The game's demo screen displayed a third-person battle between two teams of gundham in a canyon-like arena stage. There were plenty of colorful lasers, laser sabers, and quick dashes and jump-pack jumps through the air as gundham fought against gundham in a "king of the hill" game-mode. 

@Konpaku Youmu

It was fluffy and soft to the touch, despite being a little unkempt overall. It held a little stuffed carrot in its mouth.

"Hey, what'd you get there?" Nanase asked from across the room.

@CrystalYoshi

Koharu smoothed out the unkempt fur and she held it up to show it to Nanase before smiling. "I won it at the claw machine, it is a cute rabbit, but guess who I saw while I was down there!" She turned the rabbit around to look at it and she set it on the bed before looking at Nanase. They were friends so that was the only reason that Koharu was so peppy around the other girl, strangers or people she barely knew got a very shy Koharu but her friends got a peppy and upbeat Koharu.

Koharu smoothed out the unkempt fur and she held it up to show it to Nanase before smiling. "I won it at the claw machine, it is a cute rabbit, but guess who I saw while I was down there!" She turned the rabbit around to look at it and she set it on the bed before looking at Nanase. They were friends so that was the only reason that Koharu was so peppy around the other girl, strangers or people she barely knew got a very shy Koharu but her friends got a peppy and upbeat Koharu.

"Well? Who'd you see?" Nanase asked as she sat up from where she was laying on the bed.

@CrystalYoshi

"Well? Who'd you see?" Nanase asked as she sat up from where she was laying on the bed.

@CrystalYoshi

"I saw Ms. Ebina while I was playing, she was down there to get tea but then another girl our age came down, she must have been from the other class since I didn't recognize her." Koharu ran her fingers through her silky hair before picking up her new rabbit friends and placing it in her lap. "It needs a name, what should I name it?"

The game's demo screen displayed a third-person battle between two teams of gundham in a canyon-like arena stage. There were plenty of colorful lasers, laser sabers, and quick dashes and jump-pack jumps through the air as gundham fought against gundham in a "king of the hill" game-mode. 

@Konpaku Youmu

Taiga was interested. This would make for a fine waste of time before curfew, she supposed. Her tokens were inserted, her hands went for the controls, and off she went to have a shot at the flashy game.

"I saw Ms. Ebina while I was playing, she was down there to get tea but then another girl our age came down, she must have been from the other class since I didn't recognize her." 

"Woah, really? I wonder if she was bored or anything..." Nanase pondered.

Koharu ran her fingers through her silky hair before picking up her new rabbit friends and placing it in her lap. "It needs a name, what should I name it?"

Nanase laughed for a moment. "No, I mean, I though of 'Inaba', but that's way too generic," she said. "It literally means 'rabbit', after all. How unoriginal am I?"

@CrystalYoshi

Taiga was interested. This would make for a fine waste of time before curfew, she supposed. Her tokens were inserted, her hands went for the controls, and off she went to have a shot at the flashy game.

As the main menu booted up, a few options came up: "One Player," "Two Players," and "Team Battle." Someone squealed from beyond the confines of the arcade machine. Suddenly, someone else seemed to have joined the session, making the previously greyed-out "Two Players" and "Team Battle" options colorize, indicating they were selectable now. Did someone get inside the machine next door?

@Konpaku Youmu

"Woah, really? I wonder if she was bored or anything..." Nanase pondered.

Nanase laughed for a moment. "No, I mean, I though of 'Inaba', but that's way too generic," she said. "It literally means 'rabbit', after all. How unoriginal am I?"

@CrystalYoshi

"She was down there getting tea so it was a total coincidence that I saw her down there." Koharu laid down on the bed and stared up at her rabbit, which she was holding above her head, and she placed the rabbit on her chest. "I think no one names their rabbits Inaba anymore because it is so generic so yeah, very unoriginal there Nanase, but how about Yuki?" Koharu looked at the rabbit again and nodded before looking sharply over at Nanase. "But we have a long day tomorrow so we should get some sleep so that we don't fall asleep while on the hike, and I know you will stay up all night long if you could so you need to go to sleep as soon as possible."

"She was down there getting tea so it was a total coincidence that I saw her down there." Koharu laid down on the bed and stared up at her rabbit, which she was holding above her head, and she placed the rabbit on her chest. "I think no one names their rabbits Inaba anymore because it is so generic so yeah, very unoriginal there Nanase, but how about Yuki?" Koharu looked at the rabbit again and nodded before looking sharply over at Nanase. "But we have a long day tomorrow so we should get some sleep so that we don't fall asleep while on the hike, and I know you will stay up all night long if you could so you need to go to sleep as soon as possible."

"Yeah, yeah, you're right," Nanase said dismissively as she sank back onto her bed again. "I'll do that soon."

@CrystalYoshi

"Yeah, yeah, you're right," Nanase said dismissively as she sank back onto her bed again. "I'll do that soon."

@CrystalYoshi

"I usually am but don't sound so sad, we will have fun tomorrow, but just don't stay up all night." Koharu then went to go and get ready for bed and she came back only to look at her rabbit toy before smiling and getting warm underneath and falling asleep, snuggling Yuki close to her chest.

@Captain Gensokyo

Ten Hours Later...

8eaccc1a41091922ef3566951f596228.jpg

Aside from the occasional chit-chat from different clumps of students, all was quiet in the Yatsugatake mountains at 8:00 AM. The hiking had been going on for about an hour now, and some people were already getting tired. However, one might say that the cool mountain air more than made up for the arduous work of walking up dirt-covered mountain trails and cliff faces.  You'd been forced awake at a time that almost any teenager would hate to wake up at: 6:30 AM. Whether it was through your alarm clock, your friends, or a random classmate forcing you awake right before everyone left, you lugged your sleepy self out of bed and got ready. Now, here you were, already having hiked an hour through the mountains. At least the scenery was nice, but not everyone could easily appreciate that. The next stop was going to be a clearing full of identifiable sedimentary rock layers--not the most thrilling thing in the world for anyone except those who wanted to study rocks their whole lives. 

What did you think about all this? Knowing the different geological and historical stops everyone would take ahead of time, was there going to be anything that made this trip "worth it" to you? Were you enjoying it? Tired? Hungry? As the whole class rounded another broad rocky cliff-face, people continued to talk in their groups and think amongst themselves.

@Venom Adhamm @CrystalYoshi @Konpaku Youmu @Garuda @Aya Takamitsu

Kira Kujo

Aside from the occasional chit-chat from different clumps of students, all was quiet in the Yatsugatake mountains at 8:00 AM. The hiking had been going on for about an hour now, and some people were already getting tired. However, one might say that the cool mountain air more than made up for the arduous work of walking up dirt-covered mountain trails and cliff faces.  You'd been forced awake at a time that almost any teenager would hate to wake up at: 6:30 AM. Whether it was through your alarm clock, your friends, or a random classmate forcing you awake right before everyone left, you lugged your sleepy self out of bed and got ready. Now, here you were, already having hiked an hour through the mountains. At least the scenery was nice, but not everyone could easily appreciate that. The next stop was going to be a clearing full of identifiable sedimentary rock layers--not the most thrilling thing in the world for anyone except those who wanted to study rocks their whole lives. 

What did you think about all this? Knowing the different geological and historical stops everyone would take ahead of time, was there going to be anything that made this trip "worth it" to you? Were you enjoying it? Tired? Hungry? As the whole class rounded another broad rocky cliff-face, people continued to talk in their groups and think amongst themselves.

I had been woken up that morning by my roommates' alarm, which they must've set while I was already asleep. I remember a great deal of confusion as the unfamiliar alarm rang louder and louder. Even though I spend much of my days sleeping and get more than enough rest, it's still not easy for me to crawl out of my comfortable position to face the day. By the time I had taken a shower and gotten dressed, there was only time for a small breakfast. I should've smuggled some snacks with me. Too late now though. The only things I brought with me out here are the clothes on my back, my wallet, and my towel (folded nicely and put away in my pocket).

I put a hand to my stomach as I hear it growl. Right now, I'm looking forward to finding a place to eat. But besides that and looking at the nice scenery, I'm looking forward to reaching that shrine I heard some of the students talking about. I think someone said you can make wishes there, and someone else said the place is cursed. I don't believe in wishes or curses, but they're still fun to think about. Shrines are interesting to look at too, far more interesting than sedimentary rock layers. Plus, if I'm lucky, there might be food at or near the shrine, but probably not.

@Captain Gensokyo

Koharu rubbed her eyes as she stared at rocks in front of her before sighing and looking at the back of other student's heads, some really excited to look at rocks. She had to wake up early in order to get Nanase up and she was kinda tired but Yuki was in her backpack that she brought so it was okay. She also brought a change of clothes and some small snacks, since she would probably get hungry later, and some money for the shrine that everyone was talking about. Koharu looked away from the boring rocks and instead looked at the gorgeous view that they had of the forests before looking back at some of the other straggler students that weren't in any sort of group. I don't really blame any of you for not wanting to be in a group that won't shut-up about rocks, not that I'm in any sort of group either.

Calling it experience toward living on her own and providing for herself (Taiga had no real idea how living like a normal person actually worked, obviously), Taiga approached the first half hour of the hike with enthusiasm. She took in the sights with glee, tried her best to keep up with a particularly enthusiastic group to talk about the gorgeous view they had, and generally made herself a beacon of sunshine.

That was the first half hour. By now, she'd run that enthusiasm down to fumes and fallen behind, keeping quiet about the faint ache starting in her feet. She could endure something like this, surely. She couldn't pretend she was having fun staring at rocks and walking around, but she could at least not openly complain. For now.

Users who are viewing this thread