• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic A High Stakes Road Trip

rainywrites

Rainy writes but dislikes fights
AliceNWeb AliceNWeb (i posted the old thread in the wrong place.... i'm going to put all the replies here. keep going from where we left off, sorry!)

LACY
They were gone.

they were gone. everybody was gone. well... not gone. she'd seen blood, when she'd went into the front room. a whole lot of blood. it looked like someone had been murdered there, and then the bodies had just... got up and walked away. it was that day exactly that Lacey decided she was avoiding the house. she'd slept in the barn, with the chickens, on a haystack. she could do that again. but she couldn't go in the house, because if she went into the house again she would see the blood again and... she just couldn't bear that.

so she stayed outside.

she stayed outside and she kept to her normal routines. muck the stalls, milk the cow, get eggs, put them in the holders. go to the garden, grab some vegetables, feed the animals with what she could. she was scared. but she had to keep busy, or else she'd think of all the blood and how she'd heard in school that in other places there was a plauge spreading that turned people...

into...

so she kept busy. and every night she locked the door real tight to the barn. and every time she had to open it, she did so armed with a rake. like now, for instance. now, she'd heard a noise, outside. a part of her hoped there was someone out there, someone human. so she opened the door, ever so slightly, and peeked out. she hadn't changed her overalls in three days, and she hadn't taken a bath in that time either. there was a smudge of dirt on her cheek, but that wasn't really what mattered to the kid. she was worried about whoever - or whatever- was out there. "s-say something if you're human!" she called. in all the movies, zombies could only groan.

ALICE
Alice just got done combing the interior of her parents place. Everything was a wreck but there was no sign of anyone left. Almost as if they had vanished into thin-air. She opened some of the cupboards and there was still food in there, she checked the fridge - amazingly the electric had stayed on and the food in the fridge was untouched. Where had everyone gone, what was happening? There were so many questions buzzing around in her head but-

*Gerrrrrrrwwwwwah*

She clutched her stomach, all she had while she was trapped in that car for 3 days were some potato chips and a giant bottle of water. She pulled a piece of meatloaf out of the fridge her family had made only a few days earlier, and scarfed it down. She sat on the couch in her living room for what felt like an eternity. The silence was so loud it hurt her ears. She couldn't think of what to do or where to go so she just sat. Forever.

Suddenly an idea struck her though, she had recently met a girl named Lacy. She lived on a farm not too far away and her family might still be around. Alice got up and went down the road to Lacy's place. When she looked inside it was like a crime scene. It made the hair on her neck stand up, and she could feel waves of heat up and down her body. She quietly whispered "Laaaacy!"

No response.

*BANG*

"AH!"

She snapped her vision in the direction she had heard the noise, it was just a portrait that had fallen off the wall. Alice got out of the house quickly and stood staring around wondering where everyone had gone. Lacy's family barn was in sight so she made her way through the long-grains growing in the field out in front. As she got closer she heard a small voice, it had to be Lacy!

"Yo! Lacy, it's me! Alice!"

LACY
Lacy heard the voice, and cocked her head, mostly out of confusion. why was Alice here? what was she doing at her house? why wasn't she at her own house? but most importantly, why couldn't it be one of her siblings? or her parents? somebody to help her vaugely understand what was going on. she needed her family. but they were... well...

"Alice!" she grinned, happy to see the girl, regardless of her not being what Lacy had hoped. she'd wanted her family. but at least she had someone. right? at least she wasn't alone... "come on! quick!" she opened the door, just slightly. she didn't want to leave any room for any unwanted intruders. the minute they were both inside, Lacy locked the door. quickly.

"you're okay... you're okay! I thought..." she'd thought she was all alone, now. and she wasn't. but this was still... surprising. "why did you come here? why arent you hiding?" how had she made it all the way to lacy's house without getting hurt or caught??? every trip she made to the garden just thirty feet away had her sweating. then again, Alice was older and practically fearless at their high school. if anyone would come all this way to check on a girl she'd met just months prior... perhaps it would be her. "I... I can't believe you're here." that was all she could settle on. with everything going on... she couldn't believe she had someone else, now.

ALICE
"Hey!"

She returned the smile once they were inside and wrapped an arm around Lacy who was a lot shorter in a sort of half-hug fashion.

"Uh well... I'm not really sure..."

She stared back at the locked door for a few moments and wondered why she hadn't gone to look for her own family. It was simple though, she knew that wherever her family was they were either dead or long gone.

"I didn't know what else to do, I got caught at work when everything happened and it happened so quickly..."

Her words trailed off not exactly knowing how to describe the carnage she saw.

"I was in a car for like... 3 days and I got pretty hungry. When I left my work there were hardly any infected where I was. So I just went home to see if my family was okay but... they must've left."

She looked down at Lacy covered in dirt with muddy hands, dirt caked under her nails and her hair a knotted mess with pieces of hay sticking out here and there.

"Do you uh... wanna take a shower and get something to eat at my place? No one is there and the appliances still work. We can come back here later tonight if you want?"

LACY
when she felt the half-hug, she immediately buried her face in the older girl's side, hugging her full on. she hadn't had a moment where she'd touched a human in a few days, and even though she didn't know much about the girl she knew she was safe. and safe was all Lacy needed, for the moment. just for a moment. she wanted to know she was safe, cared for, just... to feel human, for a second. it felt good.

"i'm glad you're here. you came from the house... you probably saw..." well, saw exactly what she'd seen. the blood coating every bit of her living room, kitchen... the whole floor, from what one could see from the front door. which wasn't the whole house, but it was enough blood to rattle Lacy very very much.

the offer of food and a shower was honestly tempting. it truely was. but Lacy took one look back at her horse, and the chicks, and she shook her head. "I can't leave the animals. what if something happened while we were gone?" unless she could take them with her, she wasn't going anywhere. "I... I can't believe you're alive." that was all she could figure out to say, even now. she couldn't believe anyone in the world was still alive but her. it was a good feeling, though. a sense of not aloneness.

ALICE
"I honestly think the animals will be fine, the... infected... only seem to be interested in other people."

She paused looking down at Lacy embracing her. Which caught Alice off-guard.

"Hey... it's gonna be okay. I'm sorry... about your family. I saw the house... but you really should shower and eat something, how long have you been cooped up in here?"

She picked a few pieces of hay out of Lacy's hair and rubbed her back a bit. Alice could tell Lacy was feeling lonely.

LACY
Lacy clutched onto Alice, tears beginning to fall as she felt the arm rubbing her back. her mom had used to do that to her, when she'd had nightmeres. and now her mom was gone... this was really scary. "three days? I think? Maybe four." she didn't honestly know how long she'd spent down here. it was just one long haze of fear.

but Alice seemed set on getting her cleaned up. and really, Lacy wanted a shower. "we're bringing them with us, or i'm not going." it was an odd hill to die on, but Lacy didn't want to leave the only creatures she still had from home. "I've got... I've got a carrige. we can hook Shadow and Milly to pull." the horse and the cow. "all the others can stay in the carrige and we can drive."

Alice looked down at Lacy, putting her hands on Lacy's shoulders and kneeling down so they were eye level. Alice really wanted to give Lacy what she wanted since they both had lost so much already but the reality of it was...

"Lacy, I know everything is really tough right now but it's going to be ok. I don't think we can take all of the animals with us, and they'd probably have a better chance of surviving if they don't come with us..."

She paused for a moment knowing it was going to hurt Lacy's feeling to hear it.

"I think we can take your horse at the very least... do you have a harness for them?"

hearing that she wouldn't be able to take her animals hurt. it just. it hurt. she knew she was thirteen, and she was a big girl, and that the girl in front of her probably had a lot on her plate too. but when she heard she couldn't take them, she just started sobbing. she loved her animals. and maybe they would be okay. but she was supposed to look after them.

"I can't... I can't leave them!" she was blubbering, quietly, but she was trying to pull it together. she couldn't. she couldn't let her animals go. not when they'd been there through everything else. she'd lost her family... did she have to lose them too? "please don't make me..."

Alice's eyes filled with pain for a brief moment before she buried the feelings in an attempt to look brave for Lacy. "I know you care for them a lot. I'm just more worried about what would happen if we brought them with us. I don't want you to see them get hurt. If they stay here they're more likely to be alive right where we found them when we come back. And... to be honest..."

She stood up and looked at all the animals.

"I'm not sure what we'd do with them..."

Alice wasn't sure what to do. She wanted the animals to come with for Lacy's sake but also knew that if something happened and any of the animals were killed it would scar Lacy for life... not to mention Milly was a cow, and she knew from experience that they were stubborn and refused to move sometimes. Alice shook her head and looked down at Lacy.

"I know you care for them, I know they're your friends... but we can't afford to take them all, They will be much safer and happier if we let them out to graze. They're animals after all... they know how to take care of themselves."

Lacy didn't want to leave them. she really really didn't. "but they're domestic. they need me to take care of them. we'll... we'll be back tonight, right? you swear?" she didn't want to leave her animals. she really didn't. "I... I need to say goodbye." she didn't want to go without ensuring they were clean, had food in the proper places, and a warm blanket for if they got caught up. but they wouldn't get caught up. if Lacy thought they might, she wouldn't agree to go.

"we'll be back tonight, and i'll make dinner then. it'll be a little late... but that's alright, we've all eaten dinner a little later once or twice. and then it won't happen for a couple more days." then she could stay with the ducklings and the goat and the cow and the chickens and her horse and dog and cat.

"We'll come back tonight, I'll let you say goodbye to them, I'm going to go look for anything that we could use"

She paused noticing the glimmer of hope in Lacy's eyes as she mentioned coming back.

"Do... you know if your father has any firearms in the house?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back