Story A Heavenly Voice

Noct

Stargazer
I could hear the abhorrent sounds grow nearer to our caravan. The sounds eclipsing all others within miles. The others also heard these noises. My Father let out a sigh as he placed his hand on me. Through his voice I could hear an ever growing mixture of fear and sorrow. "Octavius… Son, those fiends are hard on our trail, you know I wouldn't ask this of you if it wasn't absolutely necessary."

My heart sank but I knew he was right. After all, I would only be a burden if I had to keep living with them. Maybe my pitiful life could end with me accomplishing something great, something heroic. The grotesque screams coming from the nightly forest outside of our caravan rumbled the ground. I could hear my younger brothers crying softly in fear. I knew I had to do it. I walked towards the sound, I reached out and felt for the soft arm of one of my brothers. "Stay strong for me, ok?" This stopped the whimpering. "Father, see me out, before it is too late please." He obliged, grabbing me and leading me to a place where I could feel the nightly wind blow through my hair.

"Well father," I began, looking towards his hand. "Sorry I couldn't have been more help." I could feel his arms embrace me, his rough beard roughly rubbing against my barren shoulder. A wet feeling dripped down from near the beard and onto my shoulder. In a tearful voice, a seldom occurrence for him, he softly spoke. "You did all you could do with what Lady Fate gave you." With that, he pushed me from the caravan. I could feel the warmth of the lanterns quickly be replaced by the thicker wooden breeze as I felt my body leave the ground and accelerate to the cold foliage of the forest. The landing was softer than I expected, but I was unsure of how high up the caravan was anyways. It didn't matter anyways, I laid on the ground hearing the horrific sounds grow nearer to me. I accepted my fate at this point. As the sounds grew nearer I was so ready to accept that this is what Lady Fate had in store for my life. I was to be born, carefully watched over, and die prematurely as a hero in the eyes of my family. I was content with that, I smiled as I could hear my imminent death approach at a rapid pace. But then

Silence

I could hear the sound of bells moving rather quickly, a truly unnatural occurrence in the forrest. Through the willowed wind I could make out the swift moving of metal and slight grunts and screams of the monsters I feared most. The noises all subsided. I sat there for what felt like an eternity, in utter bewilderment if what was occuring. I only wish I could have seen what happened there. I could hear the footsteps growing ever nearer to me as I began to once more accept death. The footsteps stopped mere inches before me and I heard more or the bells ringing. A soft hand touched my quivering leg and I heard an angelic voice come from the savior in front of me. With a bit of confusion in her voice the owner of this lovely voice began. "Human…why…" unsure of what she was asking I slightly tilted my head in bewilderment.

"Why aren't you afraid of me" The girl clarified.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back