• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Guild of Heroes: Requiem

"I've always known of their presence... I often speak aloud to myself when I'm alone. They listen, but never return conversation. I wish I'd known they could speak in return."

"Any wisdom-granting proverbs, old man?"
"What kind of magic can you do?"
"Would it be possible to teach me some magic?"
"Do you do this kind of thing often? Get a man off the street to travel with you?"

Last edited:
Response
[x] "I've always known of their presence... I often speak aloud to myself when I'm alone. They listen, but never return conversation. I wish I'd known they could speak in return."
Questions
[x] "What kind of magic can you do?"
[x] "Will we visit many pubs on the way?"
[x] "Would it be possible to teach me some magic?"

[x] Write-in.
"I've always known of their presence... I often speak aloud to myself when I'm alone. They listen, but never return conversation. I wish I'd known they could speak in return."
Sounds good enough, Rheynn.

[x] "What kind of magic can you do?"

I'm content with this one question.

Any idea why that could be?
me likey this one

Questions
"What kind of magic can you do?"
"Would it be possible to teach me some magic?"
"Will we visit many pubs on the way?"
Simple and straightforward. Magic is cool and we can't finish this journey completely sober. The other questions are just... no thanks.

"Any idea why that could be?"
"Little shits are probably haunting me."

"Do you usually dress this fancy?"
or
"Will we visit many pubs on the way?"

Chapter 3
[AN: 1.4k words or 5.4 minutes reading time average]

Vote Tally

Winning Votes:
[X] "I've always known of their presence... I often speak aloud to myself when I'm alone. They listen, but never return conversation. I wish I'd known they could speak in return."
[X] A bunch of questions.

*~*~*~*~*​

"Any wisdom-granting proverbs, old man?"

Elmanthir smiled, not revealing his teeth, but letting his lips twist into a friendly arc as his brows elevated. The question clearly pleased him, but if it surprised him, he did not show it. "Proverbs, you ask? Usually, we, old mysterious wizards, don't give proverbs unless a special situation has arisen to give one, but... there is one I can offer at this time. It is a pearl of common wisdom; some people have it inherently, and others have to be taught."

He took his refilled cup and took a long sip as if trying to insert a break in the conversation; to make Stonesnout anticipate the proverb. Stonesnout lifted an eyebrow, just as Elman opened his mouth and curtly said, "Love your fate."

Stonesnout incredulously narrowed his eyes. "What?"

"Love your fate. Mel tye umbart. Nogazen othok nexlakh. Slop unm sheapsip. Amor fati. My master, when we were having philosophy lessons, called it a 'crucial ingredient in the formula for all greatness.' If you don't understand, I can explain it."

"... Sure," Stonesnout grumbled, unconvinced just by the name of the idea, as well as the foreign languages.

"What is the best day you've had? The best feeling? A friend? A best memory, perhaps? Anything that makes you happy will work, but I need it for comparison."

Stonesnout pondered momentarily, before saying, "There was a bakery, once. Not far from here, in Kag-Leihwaz. It's closed now, but... the owners were very nice people. They knew I didn't have money, so they left little things. Sometimes a bit of leftover bread that wouldn't be good for sale, but still good for eating. Sometimes, some other things. Little things, like an old mirror they didn't need that I could take and put in my house, or... well, you know: little things that made life easier."

The wizard nodded. "Anything that stands out?"

"They let me work there, before it closed," Stonesnout said. "I'm not good at math, or at baking, but they knew I needed a job. I could move crates, or stock the shelves, or even just advertise the business... It was nice."

"And why do you appreciate it?"

"What do you mean, 'why?' Isn't it obvious? Because I needed the job."

"Now, imagine that life was perfect, and you didn't need the job. You didn't need the little things that made life easier. You didn't need a bakery with nice people," Elman started his explanation. "You don't need to eat, pay taxes, and say that you have an ability to just magic up any object you need from thin air. You no longer have any need or want, because they are fulfilled."

"That would be boring."

"Indeed, it would make life meaningless, one could say. To make life interesting, we, mortals, need opposition. A goal, a need, or a want. If you didn't want anything, you would be bored forever. But you want a job, because you need a job, and getting it makes you happy. Do you see the correlation? Sadness makes happiness. When you're sad, you have context for any happiness you can obtain later on."

"So, what you're saying is... when life sucks, that's good, because then life will suck less when I'm happy because it stopped sucking so much?"

The wizard's mouth formed a circle and his eyebrows lowered, as his eyes raced across the various directions as he tried to dissect the statement. "Uh... yes? I think so?"

Stonesnout let that sink into his mind. "Enough philosophy, I have another question. What kind of magic can you do?"

Elmanthir grinned, then held his head high smugly as he said, "Divination."

"Divination? Like, seeing the future? Is that all you can do?"

"I am taught in several schools, but divination is my specialty. And it's not limited to seeing the future, dear Stonesnout," Elmanthir said, practically purring with pride. "Divination is the art of understanding, of seeing the world around yourself and comprehending it at a deeper level. Very cost-effective, too." He sipped the lager.

"Is that how you knew I have travel items in my backpack?"

"Yes," said the wizard curtly, already taking another gulp of the foamy drink.

Stonesnout tried not to smile as he frowned, forming a sort of nervous twitch on his face. He sighed, then sipped his own lager, before asking somewhat incredulously, "Do you do this kind of thing often? Get a man off the street to travel with you?"

"It was a whim, both my own and of fate," Elmanthir replied neutrally with a shrug.

Stonesnout pondered his next question for a moment. He figured he might as well ask it now, rather than hope and be disappointed later on. He took a deep breath, then asked, "Would it be possible to teach me some magic?"

The wizard's eyes widened as he looked at Stonesnout. "You already have magic. Do you wish to know my art as well?"

Stonesnout's eyebrows met his hairline in disbelief, as he sputtered, "Wait, what?"

The wizard's bushy eyebrows lifted almost as high as Stonesnout's, before settling down once again. "Have you... ah, I see... It makes sense. You must not have noticed, having grown up with it," the wizard said with a slow, repetitive nod of thoughtful affirmation.

Stonesnout waggled his head a little, mouthing, 'What?'

Elmanthir directed his gaze to the clueless and befuddled Stonesnout, promptly explaining, "Yes, simply put, no matter how strong you are, it is questionable at best that you can fight four other dwarves at once, mildly inebriated, and win the encounter with them losing and yourself relatively unharmed. At least not without some kind of advantage, like magic, armor or a weapon."

Stonesnout crossed his arms.

"I had a glass cup."

"One of them had a stool."

"Point taken," Stonesnout conceded. "So what kind of magic am I using? Because I don't feel very magical."

"I am not certain. The end result is that you win fights that are impossible to win under normal conditions. Perhaps the effect, despite being extraordinary, is a cumulative result of smaller effects? Your reflexes are a bit sharper, you are a bit stronger and faster, make better choice instinctively - they don't. I've seen you make some pretty impressive dodges in that brawl... Anyways, the end result is that you win with barely a bruise, and they're unconscious. It's a very common form of magic, really. Every one of those legendary 'heroes possessing the strength of ten men' have it," he explained.

"Maybe."

The wizard digressed, bringing up the previous topic, "Either way, I am too... inexperienced to take on an apprentice of my own, but I will teach you some tricks of the trade. I don't see why I couldn't, especially that you already possess magic of some form."

"Will we visit many pubs on the way?" asked the dwarf as he raised the cup of lager to drink from, much to Elman's joy.

"Yes, I believe."

Stonesnout put down the empty mug, then said, "Alright, last question. Do you usually dress this fancy?"

Elmanthir's grin didn't recede, as he said, "No, but I was visiting the dwarven king, so I believed it best to wear appropriate attire."

Stonesnout's eyes widened. "Truly?"

"Truly. Unless I'm lying. I could be lying, as it were. Lies are fathered when one wishes to hide the truth."

Stonesnout frowned at that, and Elmanthir simply laughed. The wizard politely said, "Yes, truly. I'm not great friends with Tunwyr, but I am a master of the Guild and passing by, I was allowed to join the festivities in his castle. It was quite spectacular."

Stonesnout, satisfied, stood up from his stool and went off to take a leak in the tavern's toilet, thinking about the conversation with the wizard.

The old man was definitely some form of insane, but not necessarily in the bad, 'maddened, neurotic, choleric fool' kind of insane. He was eccentric but friendly enough to not freak anyone out from the looks of it. He budded the image of a stereotypical wizard in Stonesnout's mind, from what stories he heard at the orphanage as a child. It was almost like some form of fashion that wizards had; constantly acting neutrally cheerful as old men and giving good advice. Was it some kind of cryptic, secret rule that all wizards had to follow, or was it the side-effect of channeling magic through your skull for too long?

Stonesnout shrugged internally to himself as he pulled his pants up and walked out of the bathroom, only to see that the group of dwarves he beat yesterday were now within the building and were asking around the corner booths for him, except now they were alongside with some of their friends. He counted at least seven, and he saw what looked like baselards (stabby dagger-swords) sheathed at the sides of some of them, and daggers among others.

"Goddamn it." Some people just don't give up until you're lying dead on the floor, do they?

Encounter
[] Take them by surprise and attack them. You beat four easily; a seven isn't even twice the difficulty, plus you have a wizard on your side, meaning it'll be even easier!
[] Confront them here in public. They can't drag you outside or do anything when everyone's watching, and Elmanthir will surely back you up.
[] Get Elmanthir and get out of here. Whatever magic helped you might not work against bladed weapons, and starting a barfight might be a bad idea, especially if you get accused of starting it.
[] Write-in

Noble Scion Noble Scion Hanarei Hanarei Fable Fable Inheritance Inheritance Reinhardt Reinhardt Forgy Forgy official clown business official clown business GumGumChomp GumGumChomp Thatguynameded Thatguynameded Historical Storyteller Historical Storyteller ZacksQuest ZacksQuest

Last edited:
[X] Get Elmanthir and get out of here. Whatever magic helped you might not work against bladed weapons, and starting a barfight might be a bad idea, especially if you get accused of starting it.

Run for your fucking life, man!
They're after your ass and will chop it into tiny little pieces.
The law won't help you in time, so you best hightail it without the wizard.
Meet him at some other place in town or at the gates.
If those assholes are blocking the doorway, you have no choice but to fight your way out.
If there's a window you can squeeze through, jump for dear life! Even if you get hurt seriously.
Whatever injuries you get from a short fall are nothing compared to a cut from a sword.
The wizard will understand because you'll be fucking dead if you don't run.

[x] Confront them here in public. They can't drag you outside or do anything when everyone's watching, and Elmanthir will surely back you up.

That was some good lager, guys. Oh, and by the way, I distinctly remember Elman telling us that we're a special sort of someone to be able to take on impossible odds and get out unscathed. Hero material, even. Are we feeling bold and confident, or are we being incredibly rash? That's up to you to decide.

Heroes don't back down from even worse odds than they're used to, especially when they're nice and tipsy on some fine lager and have the advantage of a public audience. Besides, we'll be doing everyone in the bar a huge favor by talking these assholes down or showing them what happens when Stonesnout gets real, real pissed. Who's with me?

also I'm pretty sure we'll just get jumped by some more of these guys once we leave the bar anyways

I love the determination pumping through the thread right now.

I'm going to tally the votes tomorrow, as per usual.

Last edited:
[] Write-in: If any spirits are nearby, attempt to ask them for help with the situation. Then confront them here in public. They can't drag you outside or do anything when everyone's watching, and Elmanthir will surely back you up.

Confront them here in public. They can't drag you outside or do anything when everyone's watching, and Elmanthir will surely back you up.

[] Write-in: If any spirits are nearby, attempt to ask them for help with the situation. Then confront them here in public. They can't drag you outside or do anything when everyone's watching, and Elmanthir will surely back you up.

Damn good idea, Rheynn

Probably because there is a tie, so needing a mini-tiebreaker like this delays things a little.

I don't know about the others but I'm not invested in the whole spirits thing, though I might change my vote if I hear something that convinces me before I have to sleep.

I mean, why do we need to ask spirits for help when we've already drunk some?

Because I really want Stonesnout to be able to commune with spirits.
OK. I mean, I figured that was why you went with it in the first place, but that's not gonna make anyone budge. Maybe you can try convincing someone else to change their mind, but now I'm probably just gonna wait for Birdsie close it and eventually break the tie themselves, unless someone else drops a vote before that.

Yeah, I know Birdsie went "wtf" to the spirit thing so I'm not on board for the spirits. XD

Chapter 4
[AN: Apologies for the delay! The update came out a bit longer than usual - at 2.4k words or 8.7 minutes reading time average - but I didn't want to skimp on the gritty details in the fight scene. I pretty much wouldn't forgive myself if I did that.]

[AN]
By the way, if anyone's curious what the other paths would have led to.

Getting Elmanthir and running would have led to a chase about as scenic as the fight, including a destroyed cabbage stand and the city guard joining into the chase on mounts (trained boars, horses and a pursuit gyrocopter) and end up in Elmanthir casting grease to make the pursuers plus some city guards fall into a city sewage canal together, before casting Invisibility on the both of you, deciding things have gone out of hand. Also, he'd lose some more favor with Tunwyr and their next meeting would be fun.

Taking them by surprise would have led to the same as actually happened, except you'd take them out more easily and Elmanthir wouldn't stand up for you. All that matters in dwarven jurisdiction is "who started it." The moment of one of them drawing their dagger first is the moment where you had the legal right to feel threatened and curveball a goblet at his face. As for property damage, Elmanthir covered it when you were in the bathroom, slipping the barmaid several gold pieces and saying, "I'll pay for the furniture ahead of time." Divination and all that.

As for the spirit-help approach, I'm still a bit iffy about that, but I'd probably allow it, because either way, spirits can't do much in this situation. They exist on the Ethereal Plane as immaterial souls, and when in need of a body, can manifest one almost freely, but it costs them a lot of energy to also let the body leak into the proper Material Plane. An actual spirit wouldn't show up. Maybe budge some silverware off a table to make someone step into it like someone stepping into a LEGO brick, at best, if it felt compelled to help you.

Vote Tally

Winning Votes:
[X] Confront them here in public. They can't drag you outside or do anything when everyone's watching, and Elmanthir will surely back you up.

*~*~*~*~*
"You lads lookin' for me?" Stonesnout gallantly called out, posing akimbo with an unimpressed expression. To be honest, he felt nervous, and even a bit scared. He handled four attackers at once with barely a hit on himself, but there was seven... no, at a further look, there were eight enemies here, and they had weapons, where he was unarmed. A baselard or a dagger sinking into Stonesnout's flesh would be lethal.

One of the unnamed group, near the middle and a bit to the left snorted. He tilted his head downward, almost like a bow, then brushed some hair from his head, showing a red, bloodied and bruised wound with lacerations.

"We came to exact retribution for yesterday, freak," he said with a growl, returning to a uniform pose and placing a hand on his baselard's hilt.

The bar patrons, at that, all seemed to go from passive drinking to defensive drinking. Those near the middle of the tavern, near the circular tables, greedily scythed their hands over their mugs and held them with firm grips to prevent spillage in case someone was thrown into a table. Those in the corners and edges stared and whispered to each other, staring at the commotion, and those at the counter - Elmanthir included - curiously turned around to see what's happening. The barmaids and waiters all assembled next to the counter in anticipation, while one of them ran out to call the guards.

The ringleader of the racist dwarves stepped out of their flock with swagger, grinning smugly at Stonesnout. "Why don't we step out for a bit, not make trouble for the respectable patrons? We can teach you a lesson outside."

"My pa, when I was a lad - he always taught me to keep it clean! We dwarves pride ourselves on purity, half-breed," another said, eliciting a frown from the leader. "You don't belong here, freak! You should have gotten out of our city when you had a chance to! Which one of yer' parents sold out? Huh? A whore mother? A mongrel father? Or other way around? "

Stonesnout frowned, then tightened his lips into a brutally sardonic expression. He held his arms out to either side as he walked in an obtrusive pattern around a table, shrugging and shaking his head with a clueless pout. He said, in an almost patronizing, playfully sad tone, "Honestly? I have not the slightest clue!"

"Enough of this! I will gut you like a fish," said the ringleader, unsheathing his dagger.

That's it! A casus belli to attack. Everyone saw that, right?

Stonesnout looked at Elmanthir, who gave him a firm nod.

Stonesnout picked up an empty pewter goblet from a vacant table, then turned it in his hand; admiring it, observing the subtle and scarce engravings, shaped like a single, decorative border at the brim, constructed from a decorative line.

He prayed for the object to forgive him.

"All I know is," he started.

Elmanthir quirked an eyebrow.

"You don't need a whore mother to be a bastard!" He moved his body back, then chucked the goblet with all his might.

The pewter projectile caused a subtle whooshing sound before it made a loud, dull thud as it impacted the ringleader's forehead and sent him sprawling to the ground, probably with a concussion.

The others took exception to that. "GET HIM!"

Stonesnout grabbed the empty table by the brim, then slid it as he rapidly walked back, putting distance between himself and his attackers. When he was near the wall, but not quite brushing against it, he picked up the table by the edges and spun around his axis twice to give it speed, before letting go and throwing it at one of the dwarves, who actually fell over on another behind him.

Stonesnout let out a chuckle of satisfaction, "Try blocking that!"

He looked at the situation. One unconscious, two on the ground, five in the game. Three approached from his right, and two from the front. Stonesnout ran left, then up the stairs to the second floor of the tavern, and quickly looked for another way to get some of them.

A few barrels stood next to the stairs, to the left of a supply closet door. Stonesnout, with some difficulty, moved one of them then kicked it down the stairs just in time for a pair of pursuers to step out. The resultant impact was strong and painful enough to effectively knock them down, not to mention pin them under the remains of the barrel itself.

Looking over the railing, he saw Elmanthir grinning at him with another cup of lager. The old man showed a thumbs-up.

Stonesnout jumped over the railing, just behind one of his attackers, who promptly turned to attack. The baselard came in a vertical swing and a haphazard movement. Stonesnout sidestepped the attack, then raised his foot in a kick to the enemy's midsection; enough to stagger him and opening him to an easy follow-up punch to the face, which was delivered with all the hatred of a boiling cauldron. Stonesnout made sure to press his thumb into the attacker's eye as he punched; a good way to stun someone. And indeed, the dwarf's knees crumpled and he fell to the ground, unconscious.

Stonesnout felt it again; the raging fire in him. The hate and anger, which he kept leashed in his mind. His scleras were darkening to a gray color and his black irises became blacker still. Adrenalin went through his veins already, as did fire and something else.

Suddenly, time seemed to slow, his pupils dilated, and he felt the wind brush against his side before he heard the distinct sound of metal brushing against wind.

He caught a glimpse of it in the corner of his vision; a dull grey shade with a brighter silver glint, moving in an arc and then thrusting—————–

Stonesnout jumped back just in time to avoid a stabbing motion of a dagger from his flank. He quickly avoided another, hopping back again, then kicked the dwarf in the stomach. He came closer, punched the dwarf in the midsection a few time to soften him up and finally grabbed both of his wrists. He squeezed one of them tightly, wresting the dagger from him and kicking it away, before delivering a coup de grâce in the form of a headbutt that drew blood from the opponent's nose as he slumped to the ground.

He knew just the right way to headbutt someone - the trick of it is to aim for the nose with your forehead.

The remaining three, who just walked out of the staircase, were rather hesitant to approach and stood at the distance of a good six to seven steps away. It would take a few steps to accelerate to lunging or dashing speed.

Stonesnout took that buffer between himself and the attackers to breathe out and let the adrenaline go down just a bit.

He noticed that his feet were shaking a bit uncontrollably and the blood in his veins was pumping so quickly and powerfully that he felt his heartbeat and he felt fire in his arms. From the small buds of pain in his hand, he'd guessed he knocked the teeth out of that guy he punched. He also felt a small burn on his left upper arm - a dagger must have nicked him.

Once he was a bit more in control of his body, Stonesnout grinned. "What's wrong? What are you afraid of? A real dwarf never backs down!"

"Come on, let's get him," one said quietly to another, but without moving from his spot.

"You go first!" the other said.

The third frowned, growled, then screamed as he dashed forward - dagger thrust out in front of his body, but he was too slow. Stonesnout grinned, crouched, then made a curved sweep at his feet. The unfortunate dwarf tripped and impacted against the wall with his face, making a crunchy noise.

As Stonesnout looked to see where the other two were, he saw they were already moving across the tavern to run away. The moment the door closed behind them with a ring, a vast majority of the bar patrons kicked their chairs up as they gave Stonesnout an ovation.

His pupils dilated, the irises and scleras brightened, and the fire left him. His adrenalin was still in the system, and still burned hot, but the fire was gone. Time returned to normal, and so did his perceptions and strength.

Stonesnout looked at the patrons curiously.

Many cheered, a lot of them toasted, and a scant few said words of encouragement like, 'that was hot,' or 'you never fail to amaze, Stonesnout!' He almost smiled but realized there was no reason to. He was just an amusing drunkard who could put up a fight in their eyes. That was who he was.

He frowned.

Stonesnout looked at Elmanthir, who was eagerly motioning for him to approach. Stonesnout sat down next to the wizard and breathed out.

"Very impressive!" the wizard cheered. "Even better than yesterday, in fact. That table throw was almost impossible, hahahaha! You should try a suplex next ti-"

The door to the tavern smashed open and three dwarves in armor walked in, swords already drawn and shields prepared to block any blows. Their armor was a dark, burnished bronze, made of thick plates fitted to their bodies. Where plate didn't fit, they had armored scales, and where scales weren't plausible, they had mail with leather under it. Their helmets were dark and rotund, sheathing their faces in darkness and only revealing long beards in various stages of greying, with two narrow slits for eyes.

They looked around and saw the demolished barrel in the staircase, the upturned table, and the unconscious dwarves lying everywhere.

One of them asked, with a drawl, "Who?"

The entire tavern fell silent.

Before anyone could speak, answer, or even point an index finger, Elmanthir's stool slid out with a creak as he approached the guards, who looked up at him through their helmets. "Hello. My friend was attacked by these gentlemen and their friends. I will cover the damages, but I'd like you to investigate this," he said, as he pointed a thumb back at Stonesnout. The frankness didn't seem to budge the guardsmen.

"You?" the middle guard asked, looking at Stonesnout. "You again? We're bringing you in." As he moved to make the arrest, Elmanthir held his staff out to block him.

"Like I said," Elmanthir stated strongly. "My friend was attacked and defended himself. I will cover the damages."

"Who are you to tell me what to do?"

"Elmanthir; pleased to make your acquaintance," he said, drawing the Guild Seal and displaying it for the guards.

"Crap," the guard said with a note of blankness. He turned and, as he walked out, he said to his friends, "This is out of our jurisdiction. Let's get-"

"Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah, not so fast," Elmanthir said, and simultaneously, the tavern door closed itself. A nearby cupboard slid across the ground and barred the door. The guards turned to the wizard, unamused. "I asked you to investigate this. A crime happened here; I'd like the law to cooperate. If you're ready to make an arrest because someone fought, arrest those responsible."

They stared at him unyieldingly, until the middle one's beard creased itself, indicating a frown under his helmet. He half-looked at his subordinates and gestured, saying, "Fine. Cuff them and bring them in for interrogation."

"I trust you will use a lie detector and a testimony won't be necessary?"

The guard seemed angry at the question, and through gritted teeth said, "Yes."

Elmanthir motioned to Stonesnout. "Come. Let's get out of here." With a wave of the staff, the cupboard was pushed aside and the door swung open again.

Stonesnout followed the wizard with all the haste his legs could provide, and as he walked past the guardsman, he was quite sure that he was staring at him with a cold death-glare.

The pair proceeded down the street. As soon as Stonesnout caught up to walk next to Elman, he asked, "They don't like you here?"

"No," he replied. "Not in particular, no. Your king isn't too fond of the Guild to begin with, but he doesn't get along with me in particular. I may be paranoid in old age, but it is quite possible he ordered his sergeants to give me as much trouble as possible."

"I don't think that's paranoia, and I don't think they're targeting you. The guards in Kag-Leihwaz are notorious assholes," Stonesnout answered.

"Ah, that explains it. See, you're already being useful as a guide!"

Elmanthir smiled and pulled a pipe out of his robe, putting it in his mouth. He snapped his fingers, and the pipe's exhaust burst into flames, pouring out smoke and fumes. Elman took it out of his mouth and coughed, beating his chest. As he did, he sputtered out something that may have been, "Burhhned - meeh - throot!"

Stonesnout sighed.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On the next day, the duo made their way out of Kag-Leihwaz and walked up one of the protected and approved cave routes to the surface. They walked through a border-fortress near the entrance of the cave, made it through the checkpoint with some difficulty, and then walked into fresh air.

They walked aside, to make space for the merchant convoys, travelers, adventurers, and tourists on the main path.

Stonesnout stared at the mountains with a glisten in his eyes.

"Have you ever been to the surface before?" Elmanthir asked. "Have the spirits told you of it?"

"I have been, and no." Stonesnout's jaw shut itself as he realized how he looked when he stared, but he still couldn't help but be amazed by the sight. Absently, he added, "I've been out in the mountains on a few mining operations in the past, and the spirits don't exactly talk back. I just talk to them."

"How do you know they're there, then?" Elmanthir asked.

"How do you know they're there?" Stonesnout shot back accusingly.

"Magic," said the wizard. "Whatever they tell you, there are many layers to the Ethereal and Astral planes. Tune through them, and you can find... many, many interesting things. But enough about that. I know what I told you in the tavern, but I've changed my mind. I'm feeling adventurous - I'll let you pick our path. Where do we go now, o Dwarven Brawler?"

Stonesnout took his map out, unrolled it, and gave it a good look. They were meant to go to Fairfax.

Propose Path
[] Straight North - A hike through the main body of the Sarafan Mountains offers the quickest path towards Fairfax. It will take maybe seven to ten days to make it this way, but the road will be laden with danger and adventure alike.

[] East, then up the Tract - Going east, through one of the mountain chains, and then to a town north of Tristin. From there, it's a curvy and somewhat dangerous, steep road down a long cliffside to get to Fairfax. The road is safer than going straight north, but not the safest. It will take at least a tenday, maybe a fortnight.

[] West, then up the Tract - Going west, down a jungle valley to Trost, then up the tract. It's definitely the safest path since you will travel through the biggest road in the country - often called the Spine of Albion or Trade Spine - which starts in the far southern city of Xhorhas and ends only in Fairfax, spanning practically the entire country and going through the capital of Bowerstone. This road will take at least twelve days, maybe up to fifteen.

Feedback
[] Make fights more detailed and give us votes in the middle of decisive combat moments.
[] No need for more detail, but give us votes in the middle of decisive combat moments.
[] Gives us more detail, but leave fights automatic.
[] Let fights stay the same.
[] Add dice rolls for combat.
[] Write-in [Some mix of the above? Something else?]

Noble Scion Noble Scion Hanarei Hanarei Fable Fable Inheritance Inheritance Reinhardt Reinhardt Forgy Forgy official clown business official clown business GumGumChomp GumGumChomp Thatguynameded Thatguynameded Historical Storyteller Historical Storyteller ZacksQuest ZacksQuest

Last edited:
I will read the update after work, but I just want to note that I'm always excited to read the next chapter! Also, as for the city guard wanting to know who started: I imagined a large Dwarf asking Stonesnout, "Who dunnit, den?"

West, then up the Tract - Going west, down a jungle valley to Trost, then up the tract. It's definitely the safest path since you will travel through the biggest road in the country - often called the Spine of Albion or Trade Spine - which starts in the far southern city of Xhorhas and ends only in Fairfax, spanning practically the entire country and going through the capital of Bowerstone. This road will take at least twelve days, maybe up to fifteen.

I wanna see the wooorrllldddddddddddddddddd and also more gold the longer it takes!

Let fights stay the same.

[x] West, then up the Tract - Going west, down a jungle valley to Trost, then up the tract. This road will take at least twelve days, maybe up to fifteen.

After all that action, I'll gladly take the scenic route. Like Fyuri said, more days = more gold, but most importantly to me, it'll give us plenty of time to relax, enjoy the view, and shoot the shit with Elman for a while.

[x] Let fights stay the same.

Hey, Birdsie. Don't ever feel like you need to top a fight scene like that. In fact, I'd say reading this has made my afternoon.

West, then up the Tract - Going west, down a jungle valley to Trost, then up the tract. It's definitely the safest path since you will travel through the biggest road in the country - often called the Spine of Albion or Trade Spine - which starts in the far southern city of Xhorhas and ends only in Fairfax, spanning practically the entire country and going through the capital of Bowerstone. This road will take at least twelve days, maybe up to fifteen.

I want this to last as long as possible

Add dice rolls, but for how he goes about it rather than if he succeeds

[x] West, then up the Tract - Going west, down a jungle valley to Trost, then up the tract. It's definitely the safest path since you will travel through the biggest road in the country - often called the Spine of Albion or Trade Spine - which starts in the far southern city of Xhorhas and ends only in Fairfax, spanning practically the entire country and going through the capital of Bowerstone. This road will take at least twelve days, maybe up to fifteen.

[x] Write-in [Some mix of the above? Something else?]: I say, a mix of your complete thoughts for combat, and if you have any possible branch areas, you could ask us what route to take! Dice rolls would be cool as well, but that's up to whatever you'd like to do with it.

Birdsie, you got my blood running there just by reading that post of yours!
The action's hot enough to warm my psyche, the details are well-presented, and the story moves at a decisive pace.
When you write, you take us to a whole new world, just like ours but different.
It's like you're taking us to a foreign country, where danger and adventure can just pop up unexpectedly.
And because that happens, we'll have to keep ourselves on our toes.
You're leagues ahead of most writers I've seen here, keep it coming, Birdsie.
Your name's already burned into my mind.

[X] West, then up the Tract - Going west, down a jungle valley to Trost, then up the tract. It's definitely the safest path since you will travel through the biggest road in the country - often called the Spine of Albion or Trade Spine - which starts in the far southern city of Xhorhas and ends only in Fairfax, spanning practically the entire country and going through the capital of Bowerstone. This road will take at least twelve days, maybe up to fifteen.

Go west, because not only is it the safest path but it'll save you a lot of crap from the other paths.
If you choose the other paths you can get injured and lose time, valuable time that could be used to get to Fairfax.
Besides, you'll get to meet the common folk and merchants.
You'll rub shoulders with money and prestige, labor and toil, dirt and squalor all at once.
The merchants, the working class, and the dirt poor will be your people.
If you go to more treacherous roads, you'll meet wayfarers, adventurers, traveling knights, soldiers, criminals, and a whole load of bandits.
Admittedly, with the wizard on our side, we may be safe, but for now I'd like to see more of this world without taking too many chances.
You seem to understand how the world works, you know money, law, and how ordinary people act.
I'd like to see more of that.
So, let's go west, and away from danger. . .
And into the arms of the peasant crowd, where the worst danger comes from scammers and organized crime.
Its tricky, but at least its better than being cut down by ambushing bandits.

[X] No need for more detail, but give us votes in the middle of decisive combat moments.

Don't write too much or it'll bore us.
Just let us know what we need to know.
Also, I'd like to test my knowledge of combat out, so I'd like us to have some deciding votes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back