Other a guide to detailed writing

myfanwy

forever tilted
disclaimer: i'm not claiming to be the best writer, because i'm not. i'm average at best, so please don't think this is the end all be all of writing "tutorials". this is merely a guide from an average users perspective, take it with as many grains of salt as you'd like.

introduction
detailed writing. what is it? well, it's when a person wants to take a basic story and, well, add details to it. it's a way to make your writing seem more like a five course meal rather than bread and water, if you will. details are important because they help shape your writing by adding many smaller things, such as descriptive factors.

show, don't tell
one of the first things you learn is that it's better to show something to the reader rather than just simply telling it. it's easy to say that a building is rundown, sure, but it's better to describe the broken windows, cracked paint, chipped bricks, and a questionable smell in the air. don't be afraid to throw in embellishing details such as the ones listed above, as long as it's in moderation.

for example
the sidewalk was cracked, sanghyuk noted with little interest as he hurried on his way, converse pushing down the grass growing through the concrete. the summer sun shone down on him, the damp heat causing beads of sweat to roll down the back of his neck and into the foolishly chosen black t-shirt.

these things didn't matter to sanghyuk.

no, the only thing that mattered to him was that the red thread tied around his tan index finger was getting shorter and shorter with each step he took. the maroon thread had brightened to an almost neon colour with each inch that was taken off, as if the person tied to the other side was just around the corner. he could feel his heart beating at a rabbit's pace in his chest, the feeling enough to make his hands shake a minuscule amount.

he was close, he just knew it.

the main idea of that excerpt was that the main character is getting closer to something and is hurrying down the sidewalk. now that sentence by itself is... well, it's lackluster. it doesn't capture interest and it certainly doesn't give someone much to imagine. if you describe the scenery around your character and basic details about them, it helps the other person paint a somewhat similar picture to what you have.

vocabulary
it's important to have a good vocabulary when writing to avoid using any 'empty descriptors' or using repeating words. you don't want to lose someone's interest by using the same words to describe something in every post and you certainly don't want to use the same basic words to descibe something either. it's easy to say that something is beautiful or breathtaking and leaving it as that. that's perfectly okay, however, if you want to step your game up, you could say that something is gorgeous, that something is awe inspiring.

now, you don't need to keep a dictionary and thesaurus by your side every time you write, but you might want to know some basic synonyms to the more "basic" descriptive words and start bolstering your every day vocabulary. the more you practice, the easier it is.

now, just like adding detail, it's important to know when to use a more fanciful word and when you shouldn't use one. if your character is from the stereotypical country side, they wouldn't use fancy city slicker vocabulary. no, they would use more contractions and have a bit of a twang.

y'all | y'all'd've | ain't | i didn' know that | 'round | havin' | etc.

on the flip side, if they were from the country side, you would have more chances to show off the scenery around them.

for example
four pairs of feet hit the inky grass as they ran towards the fiery sunset, the vivid colours painting their skin in roses and saffron. the twilight air was hot and sticky, the heat almost like a cotton blanket surrounding their bodies. it was worth it, however, as they could watch the sunset burn away into the encompassing night, deep purples and blacks now taking over the canvas that was the sky.

see how that excerpt didn't use the basic names for most of the colours? it's easy to say pink or orange, but there are multiple hues and shades out there waiting for you to use. take advantage of them! don't be shy, you'll get the hang of it soon.

emotions and inner monologues
these are a fantastic way to help add detail to your post while also fleshing your character out. instead of simply saying "he was very angry", try saying "his fingers curled into a fist, body trembling with adrenaline. he was mad, no, he was pissed."

one trick to remember is that there are different levels to each emotion. 'sad' is a basic descriptor that doesn't tell you how sad the person is. are they morose? glum? feeling blue? there are many wonderful words out there to describe each emotion.

same goes for an inner monologue. you could easily say that your character went and did something, but despite what some would tell you, you're never not thinking. the best way to go about writing an inner monologue is to see what the other person's character said and have your character reflect upon it if they're doing something as well. it doesn't have to take up a ton of space, but it's good to be conscious of it.

for example
"call me if you need anything."

the condescending way sanghyuk had said those words made jaehwan's blood boil. how dare the younger speak to him in that tone, the smirk on his handsome face waiting to be punched off.

"purple prose"
the definition of purple prose is as follows:

"prose that is too elaborate or ornate"

"writing that's just too flowery, too melodramatic, too over the top."

it's a fancy way to say that the text is too burdened with unnecessary details that it takes away from the main point of the post or text and makes it near impossible to understand. now, what would a good example be? it's hard to say most of the time, especially when it comes to this site.

some flirt with purple prose but they never actually use it. however, some people would believe that adding any detail to your post is using purple prose because the first definition included is very broad. it leaves the idea of what is "too ornate" up to the person, leaving a lot of people to be falsely accused of using it.

a good go to example of purple prose would have to be:

‘Her voluminous follicles cascaded down her blushing epidermis of the neck, catching his desirous eye.’

now, that's just an over-the-top way to say "her hair flowed down her flushed neck, catching his eye."

this is why it's important to use vocabulary wisely and to not regurgitate an entire thesaurus in your post.

in defense of purple prose
yes, there is a defense of purple prose, and it is this: hp lovecraft, an amazing horror writer, used purple prose in his writings. it would be rather hard to invoke feelings of dread and terror if he simply referred to cthulu as an unpleasant fellow who would be best avoided. that would simply be awful and boring to read, so he used all these fantastical words to describe the unearthly horror that were the great old ones.

another example would be terry pratchett. he, at times, would use purple prose in his writings for one of his characters, to play it up for laughs. and when he opens each book up, when describing the discworld, you could argue he uses purple prose for that as well.

in lovecraft's case, it's used to describe cosmic horror. in pratchett's case, he uses it for comedic purposes. every instance of it is used differently, some see it as a form of better writing, yes, however it's acceptable in most cases if it has a reason for being used.​

one-liners
one liners are the bane of most detailed writers existence as they are just a single line of text with what is perceived as a minimal amount of effort. it's easy to write them, it's easy to rely on them when the pace of the role play you are in is going quickly, but it is often a bad idea to take one or two days and reply with just one line.

alex didn't know what to do. "okay" he replied to the girl.

again, this cannot be stressed enough, if that's the general way everyone in the roleplay writes, that's perfectly fine. however, if you are writing with someone who puts in a paragraph or more of work and they receive that, then they might drop it like a hot potato or be very frustrated. in the many defenses of one liners, you'll see the common theme of "it's just easier and better." what most people mean by this is that one line sticks to the main point of the role play without adding any "purple prose"

this is what the above section meant when it said that people would wrongly use the label of purple prose for adding detail.

now, some people would draw the line at a paragraph, saying that that is the perfect amount of detail without adding anything else. for everyone, it's different and ultimately comes up to that persons personal preference, which is why you shouldn't get offended if you see a plot idea you really want to do, but the person's rules state that they want four paragraphs per post.

that person simply feels that four paragraphs is enough detail, while you think that a paragraph is enough. does it suck? yes, but you shouldn't make the other person feel awful for not giving up on their standards. you could contact them and see if you could use that idea and role play with someone who has the same standard as you, or you could move along.

in conclusion: one liners are inherently bad. trying to force someone who prefers detailed writing to role play with you when you only write one line, that's a problem.

note:
i, personally, won't accept anything less than four paragraphs. i love detailed writing and i don't think i could handle seeing a one liner for my own role plays anymore, if i'm being completely honest. i understand if someone is just starting out or if they've only ever done "script" based role plays before, but if you boast about how you've been writing for eighty years and you can only put out one line or a barely detailed paragraph, i'm probably going to be turned off.​

bbcode
the misconception that detailed writers use complex code is, quite honestly, stupid. some detailed writers use basic code, or none at all; while some less detailed writers use complex code.

most people require the use of code merely for an aesthetic purpose, or, in rare cases, because they believe that the more complex you code the more detailed you are. it shouldn't be a requirement to know the complexities of code, but knowing basic formatting is important to make your posts look nicer and neater, while also avoided the dreaded "wall of text".

for example, this particular guide uses very simple coding to make it look nicer,
× {font=Abel}{size=5}{color=#0f7173}for the headers{/color}{/size}{/font}
× {font=Montserrat}{size=3}for the body{/size}{/font}
× {indent}{/indent}​

it's not the most complex code and yet it makes things look nicer.

in conclusion
detailed writing might seem like a daunting task at first- especially if you believe that you can't do it. however, with practice, it becomes much easier and you fall into the rhythm of it, so much so that you don't notice how much you've written until you pause.

this is also a guide for people who want to "improve" their writing, however, if you're fine with your style and how you write, that's fantastic! you should be proud of your writing and how you use it, just don't expect everyone to conform to your opinion. personally, i don't expect everyone to love this, which is fair. don't see this as a personal attack as it is all opinion.

let me know any of your thoughts down below, and i can edit this "guide" if the points are good bring up something i didn't think of.

happy writing!
-e d e n​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back