• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Fresh Start | Splatoon RP (OPEN)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here
"Good, I'm glad we can do this together. Let's get these eggs in the basket before we do anything. It looks like we all have one."
And with that, she motioned everyone to the basket. She sank into her ink and gracefully swam past the splotches of green and up the old sunken ship. And right where the tip is, was the basket. She grabbed her egg from her bag and threw it into the basket.
PLONK!
One down, ninety-nine to go. Luckily, Grizz specified there was only a need for 16 eggs this wave. And they still have plenty of time too.
Fiona began to watch the shore for any incoming bosses, only to spot a stinger. But, it was different. Ot had the same general structure, but there were... 20 pots under it? And the nozzle on top looked bigger too...

"Stinger! And this guy is bigger, too! A LOT bigger! Get your eggs in, and let's topple it!"

Nori made it back to the basket in one piece. Her egg went in with the same satisfying plonk! as the first did. There wasn’t much time to relish it, though. Fiona’s voice crackled through the receiver, alerting everyone of a new threat.

The octoling spun around to check it out for herself. It was no joke. This Stinger looked like trouble, a guess proven right when it started firing. It wasn’t a pathetic little beam that came out. Instead, a blast of what can only be described as instant splat shot through the air.

“Whoa!” Nori dropped to the floor. A second longer and she would have been calamari. The surge passed over her, aiming for the others. That gave her enough time to slip away.

“What is going on?” Frustrated, she rushed to retrieve one of the eggs that were left behind. She arrived just in time to watch a Snatcher jump back into the water with both in hand…or fin.

Groaning, she began to turn back when something sprang out of the water. Something big.

The glowing eyes of a Steel Eel stared into hers. Startled by its unusual speed, she nearly tripped over her own feet trying to get away. It was the fastest she ever had to run, but the metal beast was still hot on her heels. “Ugh, give me a break already!”

Looking over at Jace, Eelaine gave a quick affirmative nod and proceeded to clear the way by his side, covering eachothers backs. After what felt like hundreds of salmonids hit the ground, they finally reached the top and Eelaine slamdunked the golden egg she picked up earlier with seemingly excessive force into the basket.
She felt a rush of adrenaline and accomplishment wash over her after all the hard work they'd all done so far. But it was only the beginning. Her little victory dance was cut short by the sound of heavy machinery and a large mechanical serpent overshadowing her.
Sweat dripping from her brow at the sight of the monster, she panicked and made her way up a wall. Despite her best efforts to swim against gravity, there was no way she could keep this up for long.
Realising the situation she found herself in, she thought of nothing better than to screech for help into her headset, almost deafening her coworkers. By now she'd drawn quite a crowd of fierce looking chum, just waiting for her inevitable fall. Desperately, she looked over to the shoreline only to see the biggest Stinger she'd ever seen. That did it. Fight or flight taking over completely, she jumped off the wall and reached for her special, the Sting Ray.
Like fighting fire with fire, not only did dozens of chum meet an inky demise, but so did the chum controlling the Steel Eel and even the Stinger found its pots and pans flying off like they were nothing. Unfortunately her special didn't last long enough, so someone would have to get in close to finish the job on the giant towering over them, now at more or less regular height.
Without wasting a minute she made for the freshly dropped eggs and motivated her friends to do the same.
"Come on, guys! This way!!"

Amazed at the pure power of the Sting Ray, Fiona's jaw dropped. Looks like they were a dream team to be made.
"That... was fresh."
She shook her head an went back into fight mode. The stingers eggs were farther away, but thanks to the brush's speed it should be a piece of cake to retrieve.
"I'll get the Eel eggs after helping get the farther ones. Could you defend them from any snatchers or other hordes for me?"
She proceeded to put her brush down. She aimed, looking for the perfect lane and...
SHWOOM!
The Octoling dashed as fast she could towards the egg pile and popped one in her sack. She quickly splatted a snatcher taking the others, until a horde blocked her path back.
"I think I bit off a bit more than I could chew here..."
She was near the shore, and the horde was on her in front of the bottom of the ship, and another pile was beginning to jump out behind her.
They're going for a pincer!
She slid to the right over to the docking area. But before she could breathe...
A scrapper appeared, but instead of a small roller, it looked like something an Inkling would use and looked quite heavy.
Wait a second... that's no normal Salmonid Scrapper roller...

"HELP! THIS SCRAPPER'S GOT A DYNAMO ATTACHMENT!"
Sure enough, the Scrapper upgraded a bit to adapt the same heavy duty power of a Dynamo Roller, all in one compact shield/vehicle.
Despite it all, she decided she had enough.
"Nevermind, I know what to do. INKJET TIME!"
And with that, she blasted into the air, and began to fire away at the Dynamo Scrapper and salmon hordes. She had just enough time to then get her egg in, before launching back onto the dead Scrapper's egg pile to grab another egg.
"Okay I'm coming back with yet another egg, let's keep it going.... and hopefully NOT use anymore specials."

This Steel Eel might have been faster than the ones before it, but that was an advantage that could be flipped into a weakness.

Nori sprinted towards one of the many ramps raising out from the old ship, splashed it with ink, then swam up the side. The moment she reached the top was when she heard a deafening crash. Her plan had worked; the machine collided into the wall at full speed. Though it wasn’t completely destroyed, there was enough damage for it not to be so much of a pain anymore. At least until the pilot managed to fix it.

“Ha! That’s what you get for messing with me!” Nori’s celebration was cut short by the blasts of an Inkjet. From her position, she had a clear view of her co-worker soaring through the air, a sight almost as majestic as the pieces of seared Salmonid flying around.

Rolling her eyes, the octoling muttered. “Show-off.”

She started running to gain some distance from the Steel Eel when it inevitably started moving again. That was when she ran into her second least favourite thing that started with an E.

“Stop hogging the goods!” Shoving Eelaine aside, she dived for one of the eggs, then another. Then all three of them. There wasn’t enough room for them in her bag, and there was a good reason for that.

As soon as they were cradled in her arms, the Salmonids went crazy. They closed in on both of them, frying pans ready to strike. Nori, horrified by the sudden frenzy, yelled at her teammate. “What’re you waiting for? RUN!”

Last edited:
Watching in awe as her crewmates took out chum after chum, and two gargantuan bosses at once, Eelaine almost forgot where she was. And it was just then when she spotted a snatcher in the corner of her eye, greedily reaching for the golden goods.
"Hey! Give that back!" Cranking back her roller for a devastating blow, she realised it was none other than Nori. Quickly lowering her weapon in one swift motion, she thought of something to say but decided it better just to help out and grab one too. Amazed at the amount of eggs she could balance on her arms, she asked "You sure you don't want any help?" Not even expecting a proper reply, she just kept going towards the top of the boat, Fiona already looking to catch any eggs her coworker might drop. After a few more runs the gang regrouped once more, an out of breath Eelaine gasping: "Alright, so what's the counter so far?"

After the wave was completed, Grizz began:
"TIME'S UP! Get the eggs in and lemme count 'em.
You reached your quota of 15 this time around. I'm honestly impressed with you guys for surviving this round. But celebration's over. GET BACK IN THERE!"

As the team was launched into the air Fiona kissed her Inkbrush goodbye and received her next weapon: E-Liter.
Aw, you gotta be squiddin' me. Of course I get the sniper...
As Eelaine asked for the counter she quickly recalled the numbers:
"I believe we got around 19. Not that great, but I didn't expect it to be this tough. Something has definitely got into these salmons."
Then the moon rose and the tides with it. Something was about to happen. And it wasn't good.
"Guys... I think we're about to face something worse than just a higher quota..."
And she stood her place next to the egg basket. She took aim at the waters that began to shift and bubble furiously.

"I don't like what's happening here...but whatever it is: We'll be ready for it. Right guys?"

Jace pulled out his Dualie Squelchers as he stood at the ready, watching the tides and the moon rise. He didn't like what was about to happen and he then noticed a small glow in front of him. The Inktoling was already acutely aware of what this could possibly be but he had no idea of what it was until more came in.

The Inktoling then took note of the bubbling waters as he stepped back closer to the egg basket. Something was coming. Something deadly. No Salmonid would ever do that sort of thing.

There was barely enough time for anyone to catch their breath, but that wasn’t a problem for Nori. A minuscule drop of praise from Mr. Grizz was enough to reinvigorate her. She was ready to tackle whatever the Salmonids tossed at her. That’s what she thought, anyway.

Glowflies swarmed the crew, illuminating the area just enough to allow them a good view of the murky waters. Squeezing the handle of her inkbrush, Nori braced herself.

Exploding out of the sea was a surge of Salmonids. Not your average cannon fodder, either. Along with the typical Chums came Cohocks and even Smallfry. Every single one had murder in their eyes, gleaming a red as lurid as the glowflies.

The horde stormed the ship, the sheer force causing the old wreckage to rock. Nori nearly lost her footing but managed to regain balance just in time to knock back the mob. They kept coming. She erased one ugly mug after another, but they just kept coming.

Squinting through the mixture of ink and Salmonid goo in her eyes, she shouted, “Where’s the stupid Goldie? Anyone see it?!”

Last edited:
"Aww carp..."
And the rush began. The power of the salmons piling on the ship was enough to almost get it lifted. Fiona even lost her balance and fell, before swiftly getting back up.
"Of course this happens with a E-Liter..."
Nori asked for a Goldie check.
"None sighted. It's impossible to see with these blinding glowflies everywhere! And even then there are way too many salmon heads..."
She immeadieatly began firing away. Slowly charging... until BAM! And a line of salmons were taken out. But the waters kept birthing new salmons, they wont stop coming.
"Guys, I don't know if we can take much more, the not only are we faltering but even the ship can't handle this! Grizz can we get any help at all?"
No response.
"Where's a boss when you need him..."
She continued charging and blasting, but the salmonids slowly moved higher and higher up the ship. That's when a glimmer caught her eye. And more than the flies.
"My Goldie senses are tingling! Here comes one now!"

Jace was immediately barraged with salmonids, trying to hold them off with his Dualie Squelchers and make sure that none of them get to the main line. "Man! What's up with them? This just makes the first wave look like child's play." He spoke to the group as he kept firing. He glanced over at Fiona before going over to help her reinforce her line. "I've got your back...don't worry." He replied before he kept firing at the salmonids.

That was when he heard about the Goldie. What was so special about them....other than the name? "Goldie? I...I think I see it!" He spoke as he glanced over towards where Fiona was looking. There! The same shine she saw, he saw it too. So that's why they're called Goldies. They literally shine. He thought before he kept firing at the incoming salmonids.

"Thank Cod.", the squid exclaimed in response to the scratchy voice coming from her earpiece. Before she knew it, the skies above them had darkened. Frozen in place by the sudden change, Eelaine could but stare at the hordes of foes emerging from the waters. Her newly issued inkbrush in hand, she dashed towards a school of chum. Ready to strike, the inkling was caught offguard by the bright lights surrounding her, sending her stumbling backwards.
"This is gonna be a long night isn't it..." Attempting to get up, she noticed a faraway glint in the distance. Recalling what she overheard earlier, she joined Jace and Fiona in hopes of coming up with something resembling a plan to deal with the goldie.
"So, anyone got any ideas?", she asked, tossing a splat bomb at a group of crazed salmonids.

"Well I got the range to do it, but It's still too far and way to many salmon are in the way. I can pierce, sure, but only so much."
She began sniping the horde as it slowly grew closer to the crew. No matter how many she shot, they would still inch their way forward, and they were running out of space. The Goldie was shining extremely bright, but was still under the influence of the flies. Wait a minute...
She looks around. The flies weren't swarming any of the other crew mates... so... She looks up to see a cloud of yellow swarming her head.
She was the target.
"Oh, so it looks like they are after me, huh? Well I can't hold 'em off forever, but I can stop the swarm temporarily. The Goldie is too far away now, but Nothing a little booster couldn't do, right?"
She drops the sniper on the ground. Almost as if parting it.
"I'm not sure if we'll be able to make it through, but I'll do what I can to help survive a little longer!"
She activates her second and final Inkjet, and blasts off towards the enraged fish.
"I'm gonna splat the Goldie and throw the eggs over to you guys! I'll splat whatever small ones I can too, but worry about the eggs and your survival first now, DON'T HOLD BACK!"
And she began to fire. Blast after blast, hitting the Goldie till it popped. She created a landing in the center of the salmon horde, and grabbed all three eggs.
She chucked each one back to the basket, none of them in. They were still intact, however, ready to be harvested. The jet began to overheat.
She fired two more shots before nabbing one last bomb.
"LET'S GO OUT WITH A BANG! SHALL WE?"
She shoved the bomb into the nozzle of the inkjet and fell to the floor. She took off her rigged jets and threw it into the center of the horde.
And as quickly as they appeared, they disappeared into the ink of the large bomb.
Fiona somehow survived the blow. She took a breath of relief.
But that wasn't the end of the horde. They came back with a vengance, a burning one. A smallfry tripped her with it's small pan and she fell to the floor. Swarmed at all ends she excepted defeat.
SPLAT!
And that was the end.
The glowflies dispersed onto a new target. The wave was only beginning. All that was left was the killer salmon, 3 eggs, glowflies, 3 crew members, and a life preserver floating in the salmon hoard.

In stunned silence, Nori watched the Salmonids rip into one of her co-workers as if she were a triple-fried galactic schwaffle. Though she couldn’t see past the mob, she already knew that Fiona was done for.

What knocked the octoling out of her trance was the glowfly cloud gliding towards her. She grit her teeth and prepared for the frying pans to fly into her face, but they never did. Instead, the swarm sailed right over her head, in the direction of their actual target: Eelaine. Now she wished they were coming for her. The rookie couldn’t handle this, not on her own.

Swinging her inkbrush like a baseball bat, she slowly carved a path towards her crew. “C’mon, guys,” she barked into her headset. “Get it together! They can’t take down all of us!”

The glint of a Goldie caught her eye on the way. “Another one coming! Everyone get to the basket!”

"Carp...." Jace mumbled as he started to head towards where the Goldie was heading after seeing Fiona get splatted like that. He shook his head as he saw the Salmonids surrounding her. The Inktoling scowled slightly but he had to take a new position to where he could have a better chance at taking down the incoming attackers.

He glanced over to Nori before he started to fire at the Salmonids, trying to get a path cleared towards it. "This isn't good..." He mumbled quietly. The Inktoling kept firing, backing up as he did so. It didn't seem possible for them to get out of this one. The Salmonids were coming in too fast. It was like if you get rid of one, 3 more showed up in its place.

"Least it's just them and Goldies..." He mumbled, shuddering at the thought of a crazed Steelhead.

Eelaine could do nothing but watch in horror as her coworker was overrun by the hordes of chum, their eyes glinting in the moonlight. Driven by a sudden surge of adrenaline and revenge, she lunged toward it all. Having lost all control, the inkling got out her last inkray, determined to make it count. It was only now she noticed the swarm of glowflies buzzing around her head. But it was too late already. Desperately, she pulled the trigger as hard as she could, but not in time to stop the oncoming attackers and save herself and her crew. Dedicating her last look to her friends, she closed her eyes and morphed into a small puddle beneath her lifering.

It all happened in the blink of an eye. The inkling was there one minute, about to give the Salmonids a mouthful of ink, and the next she was gone.

“NO!” Nori’s throat ripped apart with a scream. “I didn’t come this far just to get splatted now!” She couldn’t accept that it was over, that this was how it was going to end. Her perfect streak was going down the drain and there was nothing she could do to stop it.

With all of her strength, Nori pushed back the wall of crazy eyes and snapping jaws, her arms slowly turning to jelly with every swing. There was no end to it, they just kept coming.

As a last resort, she tore into her last special pack. The bombs did nothing to help. The Salmonids that exploded were just replaced by a new wave. There were so many that she swore she could feel the boat begin to sink.

Now standing at the very edge of the ship’s bow, the octoling realized that there was nowhere left to run. All she could see was the frenzied mob; no sign of her crew. As far as she knew, she was the last one standing. Her only choices were between getting chewed up by Salmonids or falling to the dark waters below, and she chose the ocean.

Closing her eyes, Nori sucked in a deep breath, then took a flying leap to her doom.

Annnnnd…THAT’S A WRAP!

Jace couldn't believe it. He watched as his new friends...all get splatted in an instant by the Salmonids. He was the last one standing but when he was ready to face defeat, he watched as the creatures turned away and went back to the water, seeing as though all the Grizzco members had been dealt with.

The Inktoling scowled as he looked over at the ship and then over at the egg basket. "Man...we didn't reach quota, I don't think..." He spoke before he started to turn to the life preservers, wondering if it would be possible for him to revive his friends and then get them back on their feet.

He shrugged, already taking aim and shot at the closest one, who he thought was Eelaine.

But it was all in vain.
They weren't even close to the 100 eggs, and by the looks of it, things were only gonna get worse.
Exhausted from yet another defeat, Fiona (or rather, her buoy) jumped up as Jace woke up another fallen member.
Huh, I guess since he popped outta nowhere, he didn't count for the mission. Interesting...
She landed on the rusty respawn pad on the deck of the ship and transformed back into her humanoid form.
"I'll have to save that Inkjet trick for another time I guess."
She sighed in defeat, and sat down on a nearby chair as the boat called everyone back.
Pulling out her phone, she calculated her score.
"19 round one, 3 round two, 1,200 regular, 28 total, with a 265% pay... leads us to... 74 Points. Not terrible I guess but..."
She puts her phone away and sighs again.
I really can't get off this losing streak can I... not even new buddies, Salmon Run, or even lemonade can cure it.
She sits back up waiting for her fallen crewmates to jump back into the boat.

It was only when Nori was dumped back onto the dingy when the reality of the situation finally set in.

She listened in bitter silence as Fiona tallied the results. Even if she still had her phone, she didn’t want to know the score. They had failed, miserably. In the most embarrassing way imaginable. It would be a long time before she could show her face around Grizzco Industries again.

There had to be someone to blame, anyone. Ripping off her headset, she pointed an accusatory finger at her favourite chew toy, Eelaine. “You! This is all your fault!”

Blinded by red hot rage, she marched over and jabbed that same finger against the girl’s chest. “First you trash my stuff and now this?” She emphasized her words with another hard jab. “None of this would’ve happened if you weren’t such a kelphead!”

After a long and shameful walk back to the boat, Eelaine sank to the ground next to the others. Maybe they were supposed to lose all along? Thinking back, it did seem impossible from the beginning. Maybe they were just a tool in some bigger plan. Enough with the conspiracy, she thought to herself, just in time to see a hot-headed octoling storming at her. They'd only known each other for a few hours and yet this must've been the sixth time she'd have taken a beating by her cremate. Her sorrow quickly turned into anger and Eelaine finally snapped.
"Get off me, you mollusc! If even five of us couldn't beat this, there's clearly something wrong! There was nothing any of us could've done better and if it weren't for you being such an urchin you'd see it too. How about you use your noggin to think for once instead of yelling like a beached mudskipper? "
She sat back down next to Jace and even though she felt bad for losing her cool like that, it also felt great to stand up to someone like Nori for once.

"Hey, hey! Come on, there's no need to fight like this!" Jace intervened, trying to resolve the situation between them. He didn't want either of them fighting because of losing the wave. "Look, there wasn't anything none of us could've done....in that sort of wave. It caught us all off guard...so we shouldn't be at each other's necks, blaming one another. This isn't anyone's fault...it wasn't our fault. No one is trouble." He spoke, trying to get the situation to a lesser and much more calmer state, but something in the back of his mind nipped at him. They weren't possibly ready for what that wave contained. Those salmonids...were WAY different than he had seen before. So why did fate choose their team to experience this?

It was a good thing their co-worker stepped in when he did. A second longer and Nori might have lost her cool, more than she already had. Instead she backed off, giving the inkling one last death glare before turning away. This wasn’t over, far from it.

Now that her head wasn’t so full of steam, she could focus on what Jace was talking about. Thinking back to earlier, she realized that she couldn’t recall a single moment where they were in control. The entire shift was a nightmare from start to finish.

“Yeah, I guess that was pretty weird.” She crossed her arms, frowning. “They seemed way less stupid this time. It’s like they actually knew what they were doing.”

That wasn’t the only thing that was weird. She didn’t pay much attention before, but now that he was right in front of her, she noticed that there was something strange about this…well, stranger.

“Hey, you’re an inkling, right?” She tilted her head, unsure. “Or…octoling?”

Last edited:
"The only one who would be at fault here is Mr. Grizz....but I have a slight feeling that he may not have even known about this as well." Jace spoke again before he then turned to the other. He stared at Nori before he began to shake his head.

"Well, uh...the answer to that is...well...yes, and no. I'm a hybrid. My dad's an Inkling while my mom is an Octoling." He answered, rubbing the back of his head sheepishly as he glanced around the area for the moment and he soon looked back at the Inkling in front of him. Jace was not one to really answer that question but considering the fact that he had fought Salmonids alongside him, then it was possible that he could tell him. "Guess it stands out, huh? Just....don't tell anyone, alright?" He asked.

(Literally all of my oc’s would be children or not even born, so let’s just ignore the timeline XD)

Liam woke up that Saturday morning- or rather, afternoon -to the sun shining through her window and onto her face- not being able to sleep much longer with the startling abundance of light, she got up out of bed and turned on her phone to listen to some fresh tunes as she got ready for her day.
She brushes her teeth, changes into her favorite gear (a black crop top and shorts), and ties her tentacles into a high ponytail as she always does.
She takes a soda can out of the fridge and opens it- “to a fresh start!” She chugs it before putting on her shoes and heading out to the square. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back