• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom A Fresh Start | Splatoon RP (OPEN)

OOC
Here
Characters
Here

sugar bombs

Explosive Great Taste!
Inkopolis never had it so good. After the re-return of the Great Zapfish, there was nothing for its inhabitants to worry about other than the freshness of their gear. Inklings and Octolings spend their time shooting ink, scarfing down crusty seanwiches, and obsessing over their favourite brands. They are also counting down the days to the single biggest event of the year: a concert featuring famous pop duo, Off The Hook!

It couldn’t get any better. Or maybe it could, since...

There’s talk of an abandoned arcade that’s supposedly haunted. Small gangs of team Chaos members have begun to roam the shadier parts of town, harassing locals and generally being a nuisance. Strangest of all, there has been a sudden increase in Salmonids, with Grizzco Industries offering more and better rewards to anyone who signs up. Little does anyone know, many of the crews sent out to tackle these new waves rarely make it back home. There have even been sightings of Salmonids on the city outskirts, but those are just rumours...

...Right?

<コ:彡<コ:彡<コ:彡

Rules:
-No godmodding
-No one-liners, short paragraphs are fine but keep the plot/conversations going
-Large time-skips (one day or longer) will only happen if everyone agrees to it

Whether you’ve just moved in or lived here your entire life, every day is a new adventure in Inkopolis! Have fun!

<コ:彡<コ:彡<コ:彡

As always, the square was crowded. Squid kids marched in and out of Deca Tower in endless streams and groupies swarmed at the news studio windows to catch a glimpse of their idols. It was just another normal day in Inkopolis.

Nori sat alone at a table, staring at her phone. There was still a few hours until her next shift started, but she liked to be the first one to show up. She didn’t have anything better to do, anyway.

Life on the surface was...different. All of her roommates, also Octolings, seemed to have integrated just fine, but she was still struggling. Everyone around her was so carefree that it frustrated her more than anything else. It made her wonder if she would ever get used to her new life...

Beginning to feel restless, Nori stood up and headed towards The Crust Bucket. A stiff drink would calm her nerves.

Looking tired and gloomy, Eelaine retreated from the main lobby. She grabbed a worn out wallet from her pocket and looked even more frustrated than before. Defeated, she slouched towards the onlooking crowd, hoping to forget all about whatever happened earlier. About a dozen squids shifting and pushing to get a better view made her regret her decision instantly and stare absently around the square instead. The wind blowing the scent of freshly fried seaweed in her face made her stomach growl audibly. Embarrassed, she adjusted her glasses and made her way over to what she hoped would raise her spirits or at least steer her mind towards other thoughts.

Having just finished another game, Fiona was exhausted. She was splatted too many times to count, but that's to be expected from low range brush main. And to think that she was on a roll only a few games ago. Oh well, you win some you lose some. There isn't much you can really do, is there? She slouched into a chair near an empty table and opened her phone. Another day, another few battles. She makes decent money off of it, but nothing beats a shift at Grizzco! Too bad it's closed. She lets out a sigh
I know what'll put the pep back in my step, a nice cold lemonade!
She springs up from her chair and puts her phone in her pocket. She then patiently waits in line for her lemonade.
Er, well tries.
She takes a look at an Octo in front of her (Nori), who seemed a bit... stressed. She didn't know why she thought this stranger she'd never met before was feeling stressed, but she wanted to try and talk to someone. She then tapped on the Octoling's shoulder and asked:
"So you like The Crust Bucket too? I personally think the drinks are pretty awesome!"
And what came after that was almost instinctive, a friendly smile to greet whoever answered her.

Mentions: sugar bombs sugar bombs (Nori)

Reirei stepped into the square, a wide smile coming over him as he stretched. The sounds of kids mingling about and talking, the heat rising up off the concrete, the smell of Sean's crusty creations wafting in the air, gathering hungry kids to the order window. All of this, he took in. All of this was his home. He was born for this life, spending hours in ranked matches, honing his skills, to one day rise to the fabled X rank. Right now he was only just barely in S+, but one day he would have his glory.

For now, though, the young Inkling was content stepping into line for a pre-battle Crusty Seanwich. He couldn't help overhear the girl in front of him talking to someone... he pulled his eyes from one of the many colorful billboards to watch the interaction. Supposedly, she (Fiona) had just tapped the shoulder of the person standing in line in front of her (Nori). He frowned, confused, as it seemed they were two strangers. But then, he figured, all friends were strangers before they were friends. So he listened in to their conversation, wondering if he too could make a new friend.

Mentions: Ciscodog Ciscodog (Fiona) sugar bombs sugar bombs (Nori)

Nori gasped and jumped so hard that she nearly launched straight out of her own skin. Spinning around to see another Octoling didn’t give her any relief. There was only one reason why a stranger would act so friendly, at least in her mind.

“If you think I’m gonna let you cut in front of me, think again.” She huffed and began to turn away but stopped when she saw what the other girl was wearing. It was one of those gold hairpins, the latest trend. They were so rare that there were more knock-offs than the actual thing.

“Nice toothpick, though,” she smirked underneath her dust mask. “It almost looks real.”

Last edited:
Distracted by the bright lights of Inkopolis Eelaine stood and watched as some birds took off into the sky. Enticed, she stepped out of line to get a better view when she bumped backwards into Nori and they both fell to the ground. Looking unhurt herself, she immediately apologises and asks the octoling "Are you alright?"

There wasn’t any time to react. Nori felt something crash into her, and the next thing she knew, she was sprawled out on the pavement.

Head spinning, she sat upright and groaned. When her vision finally focused, she noticed not only the inkling that had knocked her over, but also the crowd that gathered around them. Her face bright red from embarrassment, the octoling exploded. “D...Do I look alright?! Watch where you’re going, idiot!”

Scrambling to her feet, Nori dusted herself off, then froze when she didn’t feel the outline of her phone in her pocket. Glancing down, she saw it lying on the ground. Holding her breath, she picked it up and turned it over, only to discover that the screen was completely shattered.

“No...” Tears sprang to her eyes. “My phone...”

Fiona was taken aback by the accusation.
"N-no.. I'm not trying to be mean... I'm sorry!"
And then, the Octolings collided and fell. She clasped her hands over her mouth as she saw the phone and let out a small gasp
Aw man, this big fiasco just to get a sip of lemonade? Now I'm wishing I never tired myself out so much...
"Oh my god, I'm so sorry, I shouldn't have distracted you!"
She panicked a bit not knowing what to do. But she got a hold of herself and inspected both of them.
"Well, at least none of you guys are physically hurt..."
She was running out of cards to play to stay positive...

"No, it was totally my fault! Should've been more mindful of my surroundings." Adjusting her sunglasses in a vain attempt to hide her embarrassment, she stuttered: "Hey, what if I buy the three of you some drinks to make up for this mess? I know it's not much but it's the thought that counts...?" Cringing at her own words and desperately wanting to be anywhere else, away from her responsibility, she lookeddown at her feet."Sorry about your phone. You can have mine if you want, I don't really need it anyway." Knowing full well she definitely did and hoping the octoling would refuse, all she could do now was await the other's responses in a mix of dread, uneasiness and a hint of excitement at the slight chance of just having made some new acquaintances.

At this point Nori’s blood (or ink?) was really boiling. Did this kid actually try to bribe her? “Oh no, you’re not getting off the hook that easy!”

She waved her broken phone in the younger girl’s face. “You’re buying me a new one, and I’m gonna make sure you do! I don’t care how long it takes!” She then turned and jabbed a finger towards Fiona. “And you...This wouldn’t have happened if you didn’t try cut in line! This is your fault!”

Now that she got all of that out of her system, Nori stuffed her hands in her pockets and pouted. Finally, she muttered. “...Make mine a smoothie.”

Last edited:
Reirei stepped back when the two Octolings fell over each other, eyebrows raising in surprise. Wow, that other girl was super hostile, even out of a match. Granted, he had no clue what she was like in a match, but now he was kind of scared to find out. Alright, he'd seen enough of this. Stepping up next to the girl accused of causing all this, he crossed his arms and frowned. "No, I don't think she did. I think she was just trying to make friendly conversation, and you accused her of trying to cut ahead. Not everyone's out to get you, so chill out a bit. Besides, it was your own unawareness of the situation that caused you to fall. Had you not been so fixated on berating this poor girl, perhaps you would have seen the other coming and stepped out of the way."

"N-no really, I didn't mean to!"
She stepped backward and into a 3rd kid. She looked behind and as she thought she was about to get another scolding,
W-wait, they aren't mad?
She sighed in relief and looked at Reirei.
"Thanks for helping me out."
She'd usually beam, but she's out of her element so she just left a soft smile.

Then she'd look at Eelaine.
"I'll take a lemonade... Thanks."
Again, with just a simple smile.

Still can't believe I had to go through this just because I want lemonade to get out of my losing streak...

Flustered by the octolings bluntness, Elaine sighed.
"...Alright I'll get you a new one, but it's just... I'm kinda short on cash right now. I mean I'll definitely get you all a drink but the phone will just take a while... I'll pay you back somehow though... promise!"
Faking a smile, she turned to Sean and ordered some refreshing beverages.
" Let's see... one lemonade and a smoothie, right? Hey, if you want something as well, just say the word."
She really hoped the inkling would accept her offer so she had at least some way of saying thanks. Still, having to come up with a way to earn that much money really concerned Eelaine, but she decided not to worry about it for now. Maybe the octoling would forget.

Reirei shrugged. "A Crusty Seanwich would be nice. But you don't have to get me anything, I'm not really involved aside from watching and speaking my mind..."

Nori narrowed her eyes at the new guy. “Yeah, well, who asked you? Maybe the only thing you should mind is your own business.”

Her attention a constantly swinging pendulum, she turned back to the others. “You know what, I’ll take a mocha instead.”

After receiving her coffee, the octoling sipped at it in a way that was almost tentative, as if she wasn’t sure if she liked it or not. It was also the most quiet she’s been so far. That didn’t last very long.

Out of reflex, she had glanced down at her phone to see the details of her next shift. A shattered black screen stared back at her, so she had no choice but to (dun, dun, DUH) ask someone else.

“Hey, you.” She gave Fiona a nudge. “Your phone isn’t totally trashed, is it? So check out the Grizzco schedule for me. Tell me where they’re shipping everyone out to this time.”

Fiona happily began to down her lemonade, and her colors began to shine a bit more, her smile growing back on her.
She turned to Nori, who was asking for the schedule.
"OH! Uhm, sure, one sec!"
She turned on her phone and opened up the Grizzco Schedule.
"Last week, yesterday, Aha! Today's schedule! Opens... in 2 minutes? How convenient.
Uh... Looks like they're headed to Marooner's Bay.
Weapons include... Inkbrush, E-Liter 4K, Splattershot Pro, and Slosher. Hey wait, what's this?"

She showed her phone to Nori, which was normal for the most part, but there was an extra note that seemed to be from Grizz. It reads:
"WARNING: This shift should only be run by Pros this time around. The Salmonids are going haywire and we don't know why. All Profreshinals please help tame the storm -Mr. Grizz"
After letting Nori read it, she pulls the phone back to herself and scrolls around.
"I wonder what that's about... But hey, I think I'm gonna give it a shot- WAIT HOW MUCH?"
Her eyes widened after scrolling a bit further down to the rewards. Apparently not only is Grizzco increasing their pay in general and making it easier to be promoted, but after getting 100 golden eggs, a team would be rewarded a split of 30,000G.
"Hey Nori? I think we got a new way to get you a phone. We need to work for Grizz."
She explains her findings and asks the team,
"Look, I know we got off on the wrong foot here, but you said you wanted a new phone, so how about this. All four of us team up to take down whatever is going on down there. Once we get 100 eggs, we agree to be friends and get you a new phone. Deal?"
And then she realized that they just met.
"Oh, and you can call me Fiona."

Crossing his arms, Reirei tilted his head as he listened to the details of the new shift. 30,000G was nothing to sneeze at, certainly. He only got about 2,500 per knockout victory in Ranked battles... but this squid kid had been doing it for so long with very few scrubbed gear that he already had quite the backlog of coin in his bank. Theoretically, he could afford to pass this opportunity up. "I dunno, the way Nori was talking, sounds like she doesn't want my help," he shrugged, looking away. Essentially he was tossing her words right back in her face. "I was told to mind my own business. Maybe you don't want an S+5 E-Liter 4K main on your team." Okay, so he may have been bluffing about his rank by five levels, but the point was made. He was good with a sniper, and unless they found a fourth, they were out the money. "I'll work with you three if Nori apologizes."

Relieved that the topic was moving away from her, she handed everyone their remaining grub and gathered by everyone else.
"30k is quite a lot..." she mumbled to herself, not really intending for anyone to hear. Reverting back to her usual self, she just settled down quietly and sat on a nearby table, sipping her cup of water.

“I, uh...” Nori didn’t know what to say. She didn’t expect such an offer, especially from someone she screamed at earlier. “Deal.”

She shuffled back and forth, looking visibly uncomfortable. That was when Reirei chimed in again, and all the good vibes disintegrated.

Nori’s hand squeezed into a tight fist, crushing her now-empty cup. She threw it down like a toddler throwing a tantrum. “Oh, you want an apology? Fine, I’m sorry that you like to stick your big nose where it doesn’t belong.”

Marching right up to the inkling, she jabbed a finger against his chest. “If you’re so good with a sniper, then prove it! You obviously have nothing better to do.” A smirk then crawled across her lips. “Show us what you got, Mr. S Rank.”

Last edited:
Reirei couldn’t help it, anger flaring up in him. “Fine! Don’t go crying when you fall behind in your egg count!” He put his hands on his hips in an assertive manner.

Okay, looks like everyone is in agreement... Sort of. Alright, one sec.
Fiona gave Rei and Nori a look of disappointment.
"Guys, please don't fight again... We need to get this money. Listen, we're all at an agreement to work over at Grizzco. Let's just get this done qui-"
Then she looks at Eelaine. She walks over to the table and pulls their chair out, dragging them away from the table.
"Oh no you don't! We're doing this. All four of us. The only way we're gonna get on better ground is through this."
She sighs, while also realizing that everyone's negative attitude is starting to rub off. She throws away her empty cup and looks at the three.
"I'm seriously getting tired of this bickering. So if you're angry, save it for the fish we're about to fry. I don't want to see you guys like this."
She looks up at the Inkopolis Grizzco center and begins to walk up to it.
"When you guys are finally chill with each other, meet me at the front of the Grizzco building."

Eelaine, now visibly ashamed of herself for trying to flee the scene, complied quietly and followed Fiona after giving the other two another look of self-accusal, perhaps as a silent apology for causing a commotion. Ignoring the many onlookers the whole ordeal had garnered, she slipped right past towards what seemed like just another long shift at Grizzco.

As bitter of a pill it was to swallow, Nori had to accept that the other octoling had a point. They wouldn’t get anywhere like this. She had to cooperate whether she liked it or not. And she loathed it.

“Hmph.” She shoved her hands in her pockets and followed her new crew. They arrived just in time to see the gates being opened. The familiar Grizzco jingle lured her in like an anglerfish’s light. For some strange reason, the catchy little tune always put her at ease.

“Well, here we are,” she announced. “From the sound of it, they only want pros out there today.” She eyed them suspiciously, especially Eelaine. “You guys are pros, right? We don’t need no newbie dragging us down.”

Last edited:
The slight jab clearly getting to her, but trying to avoid any further confrontation, Eelaine looked down and just muttered a half-hearted "Yeah... but... what about you?" Hiding a smirk, she quickly walked to the other end of the room and got ready for her shift.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back