• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.
Hi everyone, awhile ago I started a roleplay called A Far East Legendary Adventure and, thanks to a couple of real life problems I lost track of the RP and I don't think I can continue it.

My schedule has cleared up and I want to create a new roleplay. It's like a light version of a nation building RP, basically inspired by Shogun Total War and Civilization.

This roleplay will reward those who are active and descriptive when they're writing their posts. Time is ambiguous thus turns can be done asynchronously. Meaning you may be able to do 20 turns, but a fellow might have only done 10. The more turns you've done the more likely it is for you to have achieved more.

Background

The setup is a fantastical world with a background of Shogunate-Western Exposure era of Japan. The fictional empire is called Tengoku and you can expct technologies of 17th to really early 19th century. Magic and fantasy are recognized. Monks, Omnyoji, and court mages are normal as well.

You will play as one of the fledgling clans vying for control of Tengoku.

Your clan will have 6 types of attributes to which are represented by points:
  • Faith
  • Military Power
  • Financial State
  • Scientific Prowess
  • Industriousness
  • Culture
You will initially have 200 points to all of them.

You will then choose an ideology as a form of specialization in one of those resources. Your ideological specialization will earn you 50 points in whatever you specify your specialization is. Write up at least 200 word description of your ideology and why it helps you with your specialization.

Hero​

You will also be given a hero. Heroes have special abilities and every turn you can use one hero's abilities to help you. Once a hero's ability is used you can't use it for another 3 turns. You will need to write a character sheet for them, how detailed you want them is up to you, but they need to be at least 200 words.

They will have 2 traits. One is a resource booster, which, similar to ideology will gain you 50 points in your chosen specialization. And a miracle trait that will influence the outcome of events as you play.

The miraculous trait is earned randomly through a 1d6. Below is what they can gain.

1. Uniform, choose a number that you roll and make the rest of the rolls be the same (e.g. if I roll a 4, 8, and 12, I can activate this ability and make them all 12)
2. Reroll, you can choose to reroll an unfavorable roll, you have to roll all the dice (e.g. if I have a 1, 4, and 15, I can't save the 15 I have to reroll all of them)
3. 2, you can bump the outcome of a dice by 2 points, plus or negative (e.g. if I have a 1, 4, and 15, I can add +2 to the 1 so it'll be 3, 4, and 15. Or I can deduct 2 from 15 to make it 1, 4, and 13)
4. Predict, if you want a really specific outcome you can narrow down the available numbers to roll to 6, so if you want 17 in your dice you can narrow your randomizer to 14-20 (e.g. you rolled 1, 4, and 15, you can reroll 1. First, you declare your desired range, for example, 14-20, then you roll a d6, your result will then added to the lower limit, so if you roll a 2 then it's 14 + 2 = 16.)
5. Transplant, you can transfer points from one die to another. Just 1 to 1 transfer no more. (e.g. I rolled 1, 4, and 15, I can transplant 10 from the 15 to the 1 die. My new dice are 11, 4, and 5. No more actions can be taken)
6. Jack of All Trades, +50 to 3 additional stats of your choosing (e.g. If you specify your Jack of All Trades as Finance, Faith, and Culture then everytime this special ability is activated add +50 to Finance, Faith, and Culture stacked with the hero's resource booster and ideological boost)

Mechanics​

The mechanics of the game is based on turns, each is split into 3 phase.

Investment Phase, Fate Phase, Role-play Phase

Investment Phase​

Investment Phase is when you can procure new heroes or facilities.

You can invest in facilities that will gain you bonuses in each attributes. However much you invested in a certain attribute, you will earn 10% of the investment at the end of every turn.

For example, if I invest 100 of my Faith, then I can expect to earn 10 faith each turn. So on and so forth with every turn.

You can instead spend 200 of all your resources (Faith, Military, Finance, Science, Culture, Industry) to get a new Hero, complete with all the perks.

Fate Phase​

Fate Phase is when you roll the dice and find out what will happen to your clan. Roll a 3d20.

Use the lowest roll to determine what event occurred, below is the following list of events:

DieEventEffect
1Religious DevelopmentGain Faith
2Arms DevelopmentGain Military Power
3Financial DevelopmentGain Financial Points
4Scientific DevelopmentGain Scientific Prowess
5Industrial DevelopmentGain Industriousness
6Cultural DevelopmentGain Culture Points
7Religious SetbackLost Faith
8Military SetbackLost Military Power
9Financial SetbackLost Financial Points
10Scientific SetbackLost Scientific Prowess
11Industrial SetbackLost Industriousness
12Cultural SetbackLost Culture Points
13Territorial ExpansionGain Financial, Faith, and Scientific points, Lost Military, Industriousness, and Culture
14Archeological WondersGain Scientific, Financial, and Cultural points
15Golden AgeGain All Points
16Great SetbackLost All Points
17CrusadeGain Faith, Military, Science, Lost Culture and Finance
18RevolutionGain Culture, Lost all the rest, clan must change ideology
19Alien EncounterGain Science, Faith
20Baby BoomLost Finance, Gain Industriousness, Culture

Use the median to determine how much you will lose or gain:

DieAmount
1-350
3-775
7-14100
14-18125
19-20150

Use the highest roll to determine whether you successfully completed the event:

DieOutcomeEffect
1-3Critical FailureFor all gains multiply by 0.5, for all loss multiply by 1.25
3-7FailureFor all gains multiply by 0.75, for all loss multiply by 1
7-14WeatheredFor all gains multiply by 1.25 for all loss multiply by .75
14-18SuccessFor all gains multiply by 1.5, for all loss multiply by 0.5
19-20Critical SuccessFor all gains multiply by 2, for all loss multiply by 0.25

Then roll a d6 to determine how many posts you should write before said event is cleared. Each post requires a minimum of 450 words.

After you earned your roll, you can then assign your heroes and perform your miracles. Be careful, once you've assigned a hero you can't pull them back.

Example of a Fate Roll​

The clan of Hanako's ideology specializes in Faith. Its hero Tadasumi has the ability of Reroll and boosts Military Power.

The 3d20 roll resulted in 4, 5, and 13. Tadasumi is then assigned to the dice roll, which means I get to reroll and got an outcome of 6, 7 and 9. Tadasumi's ability may not be used for the next 3 turns. If I have another hero however, their power can be used.

The lowest die, 6, means I will have a Cultural Development, which means I will gain cultural points,

The median die, 7, means the event will impact my clan by 75 points.

The highest die, 9, means the event will be weathered. Since I don't lose anything, I will only multiply my 75 points gain by 1.25. 75*1.25 = 93.75 ~ 93 (Decimal outcome will be rounded down)

The score would then be calculated

1st, my ideology specialization will earn me 50 Faith
2nd, my heroic boost will earn me +50 Military Prowess
3rd, if you have investment, count them up too, but since in this case we don't have any, we'll leave it behind.
4th, my fate roll outcome is 93 Culture.

Which will result in me getting 50 Faith, 50 Military Prowess, and 93 Culture.

Role-Play Phase​

The role-play phase immediately follows the fate phase. You will basically describe what occurred in your clan following the prompt, the outcome, and the amount you gain or lose from the event. You're allowed to describe them as detailed as you want, and be as creative as possible.

Once done, calculate your remaining resource then you're back to investment phase.

Your clan will dissolve once it reached a negative value of 500 in all resources. At which point, you need to create a new clan.

In theory, this game can be played single player. I've yet to come up with a multiplayer ruling, but I'm seeing if people are interested or not first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back