• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

BittyBobcat

Llama hand
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
NO LONGER ACCEPTING

Werecreatures -or, as they are more commonly called, Weres- have always been a source of fear for humanity. They are, and always have been, viewed as things that perhaps were once people but had long since given into their bestial nature. A disease in need of extermination.

In regular life, they walk unseen. Just the same as any other human. But on the night of the full moon they take their true form, seeking new blood to infect. No one living near a Were is ever truly safe.

This is where Hunters come in. True to their name, they hunt Weres wherever they may hide. Some to kill, others to capture (Werefighting rings are a well known -though illegal- form of entertainment). No matter their intentions, a no Were living near a hunter is ever truly safe.

And, with advancements in weaponry, Weres are dwindling more and more in number. The Hunters are winning. How will you fare? And which side will you pick?

~}{~

Essentially, this will be a modern Werecreature and Hunter RP (although, characters that don't fall into those roles are allowed as long as you can find some way to tie them into the main story). I'm planning on this primarily taking place in a big city with a nearby stretch of woods and then expand from there if need be. I'm also planning on having licensed and unlicensed Hunter roles available (aka legal and illegal Hunters). Weres can be whatever creature you want that exists.

I'll be pretty loose character and style wise, however I do want people to be at least semi-literate and I'm hoping for at least weekly posting (but I totally understand if something comes up). I will post some Were/Hunter lore, but it won't be very constraining. And, just a warning, this is likely to get fairly violent and gorey.

So, anyone interested? (Also if you have any questions feel free to ask <3)

Last edited:
Glad to see all the interest! I'll see if I can get a character thread up today or tomorrow, and hopefully some lore up with it

Oh also, before I forget, for OOC talk: Can everyone do Discord? If not I'm perfectly with making an OOC thread, but Discord is usually easier so I'd prefer to use Discord if possible.

a very cool idea, i'm quite possibly interested barring irl getting too busy!

edit: discord is fine for me

Last edited:
Definitely interested as a Hunter. And yes, I can do Discord

Some questions though: Since there will obvs be some contention between Were' and hunter characters, is this PvP? If so, how will we be resolving combat? Is character death on an implied PTK? Or are we still going about having to have everyone explicitly agree to it in any given situation?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by PvP, but if you're asking if the end goal is to kill all of the people on the other "team" then no. It's more about making an interesting story and having some fun RPing than anything else. If you're asking if there is any combat system, then also no, just general RPing combat.

Combat will hopefully be resolved between the players involved OOC, but if they can't come to an agreement then I'll see if I can resolve it, and we'll flip a coin if necessarily.

PTK is sort of implied and sort of not. Again, I would prefer combats results to be decided between the participants OOC, however people should be prepared to give permission for their character to die if it would make sense in the situation. I'd mainly think the participants need to talk about it OOC, and if they can't come to an agreement I'll see what I can do to help and flip a coin if necessary. If that doesn't end up working out, I'll see if we can all devise a different system that makes everyone (or mostly everyone) satisfied.

Edit: Character thread is up! Fantasy - A Dying Breed - Character Thread

Discord: Join the A Dying Breed Discord Server!

If anyone is unable to use Discord please tell me so I can also make an OOC thread on this site.

Last edited:
PvP is Player versus Player. Because essentially, you are creating two opposing factions with violence as the spur of the narrative, yes? PvP doesn't necessarily mean a combat system . But it does mean that the players will be expected to fight one another.

In my experience, this almost never goes smoothly. Most people don't want to constantly lose. There would definitely be room for varying levels of competancy if the RP wasn't so task specific. But undoubtedly, someone is going to want to be "Alpha wolf", and is going to leverage that since they are so supreme, they should be super tough to beat. Or you will have "Veteran Hunter McBadass" that has N-teen years of combat experience and/or a long family heritage of hunting, so they should be picking off Were's like ducks off a pond. And yet, if all that character factorization is at the whim of a 50/50 coin flip... seems a cheap alternative to settling things. j/s

Personally, I hate System RPs because of all the stats and die rolling. And usually, combat oriented RP is fine if everyone is on the same side, or "sort of" on the same side. But I'm trying to figure out how you are going to avoid having a system in place, but still take into account all the character details when a hunter or Were is pit against another character (and all THEIR subsequent details) when they inevitably get to fighting and killing one another.

I get your concern, but if we get an "Alpha wolf" of "Mcbadass" then I can easily see this and take that into account. Flipping a coin will be a last resort if they are equally matched. If an RPer is being OP, I will step in, talk to them one on one, and if they refuse to correct their behavior and/or continue being OP I will remove them from the RP. It's not something I want to do, and I will try to exhaust every option available before I do it, but I will do it if I have to.

I'm expecting everyone to communicate with one another and act somewhat mature. If someone doesn't and/or refuses to do so, I'll try to see what I can do communication and regulation-wise to make everyone I can happy, but sometimes people gotta remove someone.

Ahhh, so many questions:
Happy to answer!

So how long does this transformation take (on average)? Is it a process, like in the movie An American Werewolf in London. Or is it more instantaneous like the Lycans in the Underworld movies? Does the transformation take longer depending on how much different from human anatomy the werecreature is?

Somewhere around half a second to a few seconds, depending on how much is being transformed and how radical the change is (partial transformations take less time than full ones). Having googled clips from those movies, I'd go with the Lycan style transformation. It gets longer depending pn how much is being transformed, how radical the shift is (so yes, larger anatomical differences will make transformation longer), and how large the size gap between forms is.

I would assume that on top of the beneficial traits of an animal, they would also inherit some negative traits? Ex. Were bat would have daylight blindness, and a swimming were with gills would need to remain in a wet/humid environment lest their membranes dry out. And with enhanced hearing are they are more susceptible to auditory offense like a flash bang grenade?
Yes, that's exactly some of the things I was thinking, as well as some slightly more animalistic personality traits if the RPer making the character feels like it (such as liking to perch in high places if they're a bird, or being more easily distracted by things moving quickly for a predator). And for the last one, definitely.

When they are forced to transform, at what time of night would this happen exactly, and when would the effect subside?

Usually about 8 hours from around 8:00 PM to 4:00 AM, however this may vary depending on when the moon rises. A good way to keep track of it is: It starts when the moon is halfway risen is when it starts, when the moon is at it's highest point then you've hit the middle mark, and then when it's halfway lowered it ends. Or, if makes more sense: Starts when the moon is a quarter of the way through the night cycle, ends when it's 3 quarters of the way through it.

Is it in fact a disease? Can it feasibly be cured? Are the Were's susceptible to any particular component or element (such as Silver?) On that note, is a Were's physiology still subject to normal effects of toxicity, damage by radiation, heat, electricity, etc. ?

Yes to the first, and not currently to the second. When you get a Were bite, it mutates the cells in your body (it may take up to a week to become fully mutated). Once mutated, they are more unstable, allowing for shifting between forms, and contain some DNA of their animal form's species. There are currently some ways to temporarily stabilize the cells which, in a way, partially cures them, however they are usually extremely painful, and may have a chance of stabilizing them to the animal form rather than the human form (temporarily enhancing their abilities and animalistic traits).
They do not have any more weakness to silver than the average person or animal of their species. Weres are susceptible to all forms of damage that could affect a human or animal of their animal form's species unless their abilities somehow prevent that (such as a fish Were being unable to drown underwater).

Who carries out this training? What does this training encompass? Is there a government branch? Is this militaristic in nature, or is it like obtaining an IRL hunting license?

It's fairly militaristic and strict (after all, they are paying Hunters a lot, so they want them to be effective). It's carried out at many police training facilities, however it's more of a side service for the facilities than a fully dedicated thing, if that makes sense. Training includes weapons training, tracking, known ways to notice differences between Weres and people, how the Hunting system works (explained in the part where I answer your bounty questions). It's managed by a dedicated Were department, whose responsibilities include pretty much anything legally related to Weres.

Okay, so there ARE special weapons to be used against them. What about these weapons make them special? What are a Were's weaknesses that would be exploited by these weapons?

Things like flash bangs designed to not impair the hearing of a Hunter by making a specific frequency sound. The biggest breakthrough was recent, and was stabilization drugs (mentioned earlier) that can be put into darts (they took the idea from something a cure research group was testing). Unfortunately, it's still fairly finicky between the "stuck in extreme pain in human form" and "stuck in enhanced animal form", so most hunters don't use it.

Err.... I don't understand how being licensed automatically gets you a sponsorship. Again, is this a special government branch for Licensed hunters? Because privately funded individuals can often have better quality armament than government issued gear. It's a common misconception that "military-grade" means better. Oftentimes, standard issue equipment is rather cheaply made. Ask any military vet. lol

Oof, my mistake. And yes, there is a Were department, more explained in later answers.

I'm confused again. Who is providing the leads? This is beginning to sound more like a guild house. And wouldn't licensed hunters have an easier time attaining these leads over unlicensed hunters because they are in the proper legal channels? Doing anything the illegal way tends to make it inherently more difficult and costly when it comes to provisions.

Also, who is paying the hunters? And am I to understand they are paid by bounty? How much creative freedom are we allowed to create illegitimate avenues for unlicensed hunters to get paid for their work?

I'm realizing now I explained the that badly. I meant to say bounties, but I forgot the word lol.
Licensed hunters ARE given leads, however these are leads gained through things like police reports and such (like a detective)
Unlicensed hunters are often given bounties for specific Weres (such as if someone has taken a particular dislike to a specific Were and needs them taken out), or for specific Were species (often these sort of bounties are produced by Werefight ring runners or people who otherwise want to use captured Weres for entertainment or protection. I think I mentioned a bit about this sort of thing in the setting lore.)

The Were department pays them depending on their kill/capture count, and that department is fairly well funded due to common public views of Weres. And, creative freedom-wise, go wild. It's a big city, a lot can happen.

Who would prosecute them, if it WERE to happen? Just regular police checking credentials? Regular courts? What are the fines/punishments if the law were to decide to follow through?

Police/courts, yes, and yes. It depends on the severity of their hunting (how many Weres they've killed, how many they captured, what they did with the captured ones). Legally speaking, the minimum sentence is a year of jailtime, and -of those found guilty- often stay around the two to three years of jailtime area.

Sorry if some of this doesn't make sense, I am currently answering these right before I go to sleep. So, good night, hope this helps, and see ya in the morning.

Oh yeah, let me update it. I'll edit it into the first thread post so people can find it easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back