Other A Delve into Dead Gods

KingofAesir

Ghostly Presence
I've been pondering on the idea of a civilization who worships a dead god and not in the sense of Jupiter, Odin, or the like where their worship has simply fallen into obscurity. I'm speaking on cultures who worship a god who, in their theology, is dead.

I wanted to discuss the avenues that could be explored in a story with a religion that functions this way, or even discover any real world examples. It's interesting to me the way religions, fictional or not, work and the idea of worshipping something dead is interesting to me. Perhaps a culture who does this would have reverance for the dead or the life that comes out of death (fertilization through decomp. MUSHROOMS).

Anywho, if anyone has any religions they've created like this for RPs or stories or knows of any real world examples, I'd love to hear them!

Well, I think an example that comes off the top of my head is Baldr, the god of light from Norse mythology. One of the stories in that mythology is how Loki tricks the blind god Hod, often associated with night and darkness, into killing his brother Baldr with an arrow tipped with mistletoe, the only thing that can hurt him. As of now, there are still many, many people in Denmark who believe in the old Norse pantheon, and I would assume Baldr is a part of their religion.

Osiris of the Egyptian pantheon was killed (and dismembered) by his brother Seth, but his wife Isis put him back together and resurrected him. That's why his skin is green or black in many pictures of him.

Look no further than how Jesus is perceived. The existence of God wholly irrelevant, were one solely interested in how reverence can be ascribed unto something which has long since vanished.

Look no further than how Jesus is perceived. The existence of God wholly irrelevant, were one solely interested in how reverence can be ascribed unto something which has long since vanished.
Well, the thing with Jesus is that he as crucified, but after 3 days he came back. The story was supposed to be a testament to how powerful God was that his own son (who was also himself) that he would rise from death.

In the game "Phoenix Point" there are characters called "The Disciples of Anu" who worship an entity called "The Dead God" -- which I think is supposed to be a post-apocalyptic interpretation of the judeo-christian god, but it doesn't specify.

I've run a couple of RPs about various gods and some of them have been (un)dead... but that may not exactly be what you're looking for! :D

Well, I think an example that comes off the top of my head is Baldr, the god of light from Norse mythology. One of the stories in that mythology is how Loki tricks the blind god Hod, often associated with night and darkness, into killing his brother Baldr with an arrow tipped with mistletoe, the only thing that can hurt him. As of now, there are still many, many people in Denmark who believe in the old Norse pantheon, and I would assume Baldr is a part of their religion.

In reference to Vinegar3's bit about Baldr: Not just in Denmark -- there's a growing movement of individuals with Germanic ancestry who are returning to their roots spiritually, and who worship the Norse pantheon. From what I understand, the worship of Baldr is less about death and more about life and light. Baldr is the "Shining God" who returns from death after Ragnarok; he was so good, bright, noble, and wise that, in spite of his death at Loki's hand (Asatruar do NOT worship Loki -- he is not seen as a fun god as entertainment media presents him), Loki must be forgiven nonetheless. Subscribers to the religion strive to be like Baldr: to have a shining, noble character, to be forgiving. So, in modern adaptations of the religion, Baldr really isn't "dead" in the sense that I think OP is referring to.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back