• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A Dark Room and an Escape

Readytodienow

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Hello to whoever wants to join!
The background of this story is about a girl who is confined to this room in pitch-black darkness. She is part of a generation of scientific experiments. These experiments were tested on kids from birth to age 5. Each one of the kids was kept in solitary confinement to keep from activating the powers given to them by the experiment. Each day a bell chimes and a scientist enters the room of each of the kids to give them a dose of the virus. The virus mutates their cells so that they can develop their magical abilities. Sunlight triggers the activation of these abilities. By the age of 10, you no longer need to be supplied with the virus daily to keep your powers. The world outside the lab is a warzone. People are constantly fighting for power over each other and these kids are said to be the last hope for the government. The government does not treat the kids as humans and once 18 they ship them out to fight. After reaching the age of 10, they are trained to fight. Prisoners of war are used to test powers. There is little interaction with other children except during training hours. Our main character is 13 right now and is planning to escape with as many kids as possible. The scientist who takes care of her health has been telling her stories about the outside world and helping with the escape plan. She doesn't have a name just a number: EX2090. EX2090's power is to see into people's fears and bring them to life in front of their very eyes.
There will be other subjects added too, they can range from babies to 18 years old. We can add in romance which can be crushes or relationships between the main character or other characters.
If possible, a paragraph response if not at least 3 sentences.
If you could respond at least 3 times a week would be gladly appreciated.

EX2090 opened her eyes. There really wasn't any point, everything looked black and blended together. She didn't feel feverish today maybe that was a sign her fever was gone? A door opened sending light over the surfaces of the room. In came a woman with brown hair, green eyes, and a motherly look. She was wearing a full-body black suit and had goggles around her neck. She placed the goggles over her eyes and shut the door behind her.
"Hello, EX2090. I am here for your check-up," said the woman as she reached in her bag that was slung over her shoulder. She made her way across the room to EX2090's bed and pulled out a thermometer. "Say ahh."
"Aah,"
"Looks normal," The woman taps the headset and speaks into the mic. "EX2090's fever appears to be finished. She should resume training today."
"Alisha, Do I have to go? Please?" Alisha turned off her headset and looked up at EX2090. She put away the thermometer and set the bag on the floor. She pulled out a little pouch from her pocket and handed it to EX2090.
"You know I can't let you, but I can keep you from it just a bit longer. I brought you some things today," smiled Alisha. Alisha handed the pouch to EX2090. "Open it! There is a pocket watch inside!"
"What's a pocket watch?" said EX2090. She grabbed the pouch from Alisha and opened it fumbling a bit on the strings. She held the watch in her hands. Tick Tick Tick. "What's this sound and where is it coming from? What does this even do? What is it used for? Wait, what is a watch?"
"Woah, calm down with the questions. Let me explain it to you," said Alisha laughing.

EX2103 fliched as he heard the familiar bell ring. He heard footsteps approaching his room, and readied himself for another painfull injection. The door opened and a man in a full black body suit wearing goggles and holding a syringe entered. EX2103 shuffled backwards as he approached. "Come on, EX2103," the man said sternly. "I don't have time for anymore of your games. Sit still and be good or you know what will happen."

EX2103 glared at him, but said nothing. There was no point fighting back, he knew where it would get him, but he couldn't help but pull away everytime the man took his arm. The man bent down and grabbed him. Ex2103 jerked and tried to pull back, but there was never really anything he could do to overpower the man. In went the needle, and soon the boy relaxed as he was released. "You'll be ten soon," the man remarked pocketing the syringe. "Then we won't have to suffer this unruely routine anymore. Won't that be nice?" his tone was dripping with snark as he left EX2103 alone in the darkness once again.

A bell chimed loudly resonating through the walls of EX2090's room. EX2090 flinched at the sound, memories flooding back, she looked down at the pocket watch to distract her mind. She turned over the pocket watch in her hand wondering how this device worked and what it was used for. Alisha would tell her about her brother and sister before she came to work in the lab. EX2090 admired Alisha's sister who was an engineer. EX2090 looked up at Alisha wondering what had made this kind lady work here. Engineer, a word so far yet so close, what she wanted to be, to have. EX2090 was going to get out of this hell hole and make it as an engineer. She was going to find a way to survive without using her power. She was going to make it.
"Looks like its time for the daily injection for the younger kids," said Alisha evenly. EX2090 jerked her head up, reminding herself that she no longer had to have those horrible injections. Alisha looked at EX2090, " There is nothing to worry about know. You're going to be just fine, I promise."
EX2090 believed her for a second, maybe it wasn't so bad. Maybe she will make it out alive. Maybe she will survive, but then she remembered the face of the boy from training last week. The expression of pure fear and agony as he rewatched his parents die right before him. The tears dripping down his face while he screamed until nothing would come out. The way his body curled up, the way he shook violently, the way he started breathing, everything about that was not okay. She would never be fine. She knew as long as she was here no one would be fine. A second bell chimed, signifying that training will begin in 10 minutes.
"Do I really have to go, Alisha? Please?" said EX2090, even though she knew Alisha could do nothing to help her she had to ask. Alisha looked up at EX2090 with a mixed look of pity and sympathy.
"I wish I could help but I already said your fever was gone. You're going to have to go back," said Alisha looking away from EX2090.
"Please don't make me see their faces again. Please not again! I don't want to see them cower in fear and scream like they're dying! You don't see their faces! You don't know how they beg me to make it stop! You just don't-" EX2090 was now in tears looking straight into Alisha's eyes. Alisha looked away. That little motion made EX2090 feel all the worse.
"You have to go now. How about when you come back I explain the pocket watch to you?" said Alisha managing a small smile while wiping the tears from EX2090's face. "You know you're stronger than most others. You're going to make it through this, all of this, and come out alive. You're stronger than you think, darling."

"You'll be ten soon," the words replayed themselves over and over inside EX2103's head. He stood up, giving himself a moment to stretch, getting all the tension out of his body. He didn't quite know how to feel about turning ten. On one hand, it would mean getting out of this room a lot more. It would mean no more horrid injections, a change of pace which was welcome, no matter what it brought with it. Sitting in the dark all alone all day, it was torture. Then again, the sounds he had heard of others being dragged to the training rooms made him feel lucky to be ignored. They frightened him more than the needles.

He paced back and forth, awaiting the sounds of training to begin as he tried to imagine what horrors awaited him out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
EX2090 started shaking violently. She knew she had to go or risk punishment. EX2090 looked around the room. All black. Just black. A scary never moving black. EX2090 reached her hand out and felt around till she touched Alisha. She put her hand on Alisha's cheek, feeling her skin. Alisha placed her hand over EX2090's and rubbed small circles into it. EX2090 got up out of her bed and placed her hand on the closest wall. Trailing her hand against the wall as she walked, EX2090 felt around for a hangar with her training uniform. She moved her hand around the wall still searching for her uniform.
"I can't find it!" said EX2090 annoyed. She could her Alisha chuckle. "Don't laugh it's not funny! You know I have 5 minutes to get ready to go or else! Help me if you have nothing better to do!"
"It is just too funny, EX2090. You missed it by a mile. Take 3 steps forward and raise your right hand," says Alisha between little laughs. EX2090 glares at the direction the voice comes from but follows the instructions nonetheless. EX2090 feels the stretchy material and starts to undress. After putting o her uniform she takes her nightgown and places it on the hangar from which she just took her uniform. A bell rings. EX2090 flinches and starts to breathe heavily.
"You have to go now EX2090," Alisha calmly states. "I won't take no for an answer this time. If you hurry up maybe I will bring you another trinket." This sparked EX2090 attention. As much as she hated going to training, the many trinkets Alisha brings brightens up her day immensely. EX2090 stands up as the door to her room opens. Light floods in, bouncing off the square walls in her room.
"Promise?" asks EX2090. Alisha nods and grabs EX2090's arm.
"Let's go,"
EX2090 watches as the children next to her are taken out of their rooms. Some screaming, some thrashing, and some doing both. Someone gets pulled to the side. A guard takes out a little device. A device that EX2090 knows all too well. She starts to shake. Alisha squeezes her arm. It isn't worth it to let them see that they hold fear over her. EX2090 makes her way to the training room. Alisha pushes EX2090 forward and starts to leave. EX2090 looks back at Alisha wanted her to come back. To come and take her away from all of this. But she knows that there is nothing Alisha can do to save her. EX2090 takes a deep breath and steps into the training room.

EX2103 covered his ears with his hands as the screaming and the begging began. He shuffled over to the bed in his room and attempted to hide under the covers, even though there wasn't really anything he had to hide from. Not yet, anyway. The sound of the children begin lead away began to fade as they all entered the training room. That was one thing EX2103 was strangely looking forward to. Seeing other children. Like him. Not just hearing them, but being able to see. His eyes began to feel droopy and he couldn't help but snuggle up in his bed, his only comfort, and start to doze off.

Other kids started to enter the room, slowly trickling in. Some came in with tear-streaked faces, and other grasping at the now-locked door. Those poor children. I wish I could help you. I wish. Don't cry please, it makes this that much worse. Among these kids were children like EX0290, silently wishing that they didn't have to do this, but not showing it on their faces. She silently surveyed the room. No new faces yet. Yesterday there had been an announcement about new 10-year-olds joining. Maybe tomorrow? EX2090 remembered her time the first time coming to the training room. She had just met Alisha and was petrified of her. Alisha was the nicest person she had ever met and still is. Alisha took her to the training room hand in hand. Once inside a set of rules were said on a loudspeaker,
"1. No talking with other subjects. 2. No attacking the guards. 3. Only one prisoner per subject unless permission is given. 4. Switch between prisoners when the bell rings. " EX2090 was absolutely petrified. The lights turned on. EX0290 saw other children for the first time. A girl with red hair and bright green eyes looked over at her. She looks new to this place too. Other kids much taller than me looked tired and sick. Some kids were screaming and crying. She tried not to listen to them and looked back at the girl. They stared at each other for a good minute that was broken by older kids coming to pull her away. The boy who took her away had thick brown almost black hair with light brown skin. He looked down at her almost pityingly. EX2090 didn't know why such a look offended her, but it did. She heard a small whisper from him,
"It's going to be alright. Just follow the rules."
EX2090 looked up at him. His amber eyes swirling with emotions she had no name for. His small smile was comforting but held back great sorrow. She followed him to a little girl chained up. She looked kinda like me, from what EX2090 could tell. Their hair was light brown and they both had pretty light skin. EX2090 was told by the boy that she would use my powers on her. EX2090 complied. Her screams still haunt her to this day.
EX2090 looks to the left as the guards bring in the subjects. Some are bleeding and some are half-breathing while others seem just a little shaken up. EX2090 takes a big breath. Time for hell. She walks up to A spot marked "EX2090". Her first victim is a little boy. 10 years old at most. His face is solemn and sad. He looks like he couldn't bear another second alive. EX2090 taps into her power. She sees the boy playing in a field of flowers. An older man comes and grabs the boy by the neck dragging him to a small building. Inside the building, the man throws the boy to the floor. The boy starts to cry and apologize. The man approaches.
EX2090 snaps out of the memory. She doesn't realize how hard she is breathing until the boy looks up at her and asks,
"Are you okay?"
EX2090 doesn't respond. This boy had to endure so much pain and now she had to give him more? EX2090 looked at the boy remorsefully. She could hear the screams starting from the other prisoners. She could feel a guard looking at her in case she needed a little motivation. One look at the gun in his hand and EX2090 started the memory for the boy. At least you won't be killed. No one will be killed. Please let no one be killed. The boy's screams penetrated her thoughts. His body was cowering. He kept begging for it to stop. EX2090 could feel her eyes start to water up. A bell rang. EX2090 stopped the memory as soon as she heard it. The boy was a mess of panting and gasping. He looked up at EX2090. He didn't seem mad, just lifeless. He didn't seem to have any life left in him. EX2090 left the boy and moved on to the next prisoner. She glanced back once. The boy was staring at her with his lifeless eyes and mouthed the words that EX2090 could make out clearly. Kill me. She let out a small gasp and shook her head. She turned away and walked as fast as possible to the next prisoner, tears threatening to fall to the ground.

EX2103's eyes snapped open at the sound of his door being opened. He hadn't been napping for long, and so didn't feel drowsy or too disorientated. He lifted off his bed sheet to see his usual nurse walk in, although he had no injection. "Let's not make this difficult, alright? Just take my hand and do as I say. Am I clear?"

EX2103's chest filled with panic. "N..no! I don't understand, I'm not ready for training!" He hadn't thought it would come so soon. He thought he had more time. The nurse however, rolled his eyes. "I'm not taking you to training. You're due for testing. We need to see what sort of power you're developing to prepare your training. Now take my hand and don't make me sedate you," he said in a cold tone. EX2103 relaxed, but only slightly, as the sound of testing didn't sound too lovely either. Reluctantly he took the nurse's hand and they walked out of his room and down the hall, the sounds of training and crying growing fainter and fainter. The lights were horridly bright and EX2103's eyes burned looking at them, not used to this much light. He covered his eyes with his free hand. The nurse lead him down the hall and towards a room which the entered with a swipe of the nurse's keycard.

In the room was a bed with straps that made the subject sit up right. There was a one-way window, one that EX2103 knew other doctors where hiding behind. There were scary machines ad various medical tooks located around the room too. "Sit," the nurse ordered. EX2103 instinctivly started to back away, fear gripping his chest like a tight fist, but the nurse had a firm grasp on his hand and pulled up forward, locking the door behind them. "I said, sit!" the nurse was clearly loosing his already short temper, and EX2103 climbed up onto the bed. The straps, metal cuffs that activated when the nurse pressed a button and automatically shut around his wrists and ankles, where cold and panic inducing. The nurse began typing something into one of the machines, and as he did another person opened the door and stepped into the room. EX2103's head whipped round to see, worried that it was some other awlful nurse, but this man was younger, seemed less cold. He was white, had long brown hair pulled neatly into a low pony tail, a trimmed beard and black glasses that framed his green eyes. He was also quite tall, much taller than the other nurses EX2103 had ever seen.

"Who..who are you?" he asked. The man looked him up and down, observing him. "My name is Calvin," he replied. "I'm going to be your caretaker."

EX2090 made her way to the next prisoner carefully to not look as though she was running. Little bells went off at intervals of 5 minutes. Each prisoner brang a new set of screams and tears to EX2090's memory. By the 13th or 14th EX2090 started to block out the screams. She didn't want to hear them anymore. Every tear that escape was quickly wiped away. Children, women, and men were screaming because of her and she couldn't help them. At least it's better than dying? EX2090 thought back to the first boy she worked with today. Maybe not. Other children next to her were crying. They didn't break their concentration though because of what happened if you did. A bell chimes.
37, 38, 39...The second to last bell chimed. Her last prisoner was a middle-aged blond woman. She had light blue eyes that were already turning red from crying. Her clothes were a mess and had blood stains on them. I looked into her fear. Reliving her wife getting shot in front of her. In the memory, the woman cradled her wife in her arms making a voice from her mouth. I think this is singing? I have never heard anything so beautiful. She closed her wife's eyes and kissed her one last time. EX2090 started the memory. The woman had tears start to drip down her face. She didn't scream, she didn't ask for it to stop, she just sat there crying not saying a word.
A single note came out of her mouth. A high-pitched sound smoothing into strong notes. She started softly, whispering the words. As she continued, her words got louder and louder. EX2090 recognized the song. It was the one from the memory. She was singing the song from her memory! Her voice got louder and louder. Soon she was singing in a strong voice laced with sorrow.
"A silent night this is, my dear
The sparrows sing in great sorrow
They wish for their heads

My dear, make sure to keep your head up.
There is no place for us
but between each other's arms

Make sure your sound is silent
But your voice strong
The sparrows will guide you away, my dear

There is no place for us

The sparrow shall take flight
And we shall follow it through the night

There is no place for us
but between each other's arms"

Her voice upheld such misery that I could feel her emotions. She didn't want to live on alone. She wanted to be with her lover. The woman looked up at EX2090 and smiled at her. EX2090 was crying. She was crying fat, hot tears. She looked at the woman and tried to return her smile. She wanted the woman to know she could feel the emotion in her song. A bell rang, but no one paid attention. All eyes were on the woman as she finished the last verse of her song. Two guards came and dragged her away. She won't be seen again most likely.
All of the children stare as the woman is dragged out and once she is gone, they turn to EX2090. EX2090 looks around at the faces of the children she barely knows. Covered in their own tears and sweat. Most of them are crying. Some have their heads in their hands but lift them up to hear what happens next.
The prisoners start to sing the chorus of the song and bits they remembered.
The guards are quick to action and set off the shock function on their shackles. Some keep singing, some stop, but the song can still be heard clearly. They will not be silent for long. The guards open the door and the caretakers move quickly inside. They grab their assigned children and hurry out. Alisha grabs EX2090 and practically runs out of there.
"You know your going to be questioned now!" whispers Alisha, looking int EX2090's eyes with a stern look. "They are going to come for you soon. Let's get you ready for this."

"Caretaker?" EX2103 tilted his head. "What's...what's a caretaker?" The man, now known to him as Calvin, sat down on a seat next to him. "I'm assigned to look after you, essentially," he replied. "I perform your check ups, lead you to training. I monitor your progress and mental health," as he explained he gently examined EX2103's arm, noticing the scratches on his dark skin that he had inflincted on himself absentmindedly. "My first action as your Caretaker is to clip your nails. It won't do us any good if these got deeper and infected," he stood up and picked up a tool from the tray next to the bed. EX2103 looked at him unsurely, expecting some kind of pain, but Clavin just took his left hand and began clipping each fingernail. EX2103 relaxed. He didn't mind this new person. He actually replied to his questions instead of just disreguarding them like the nurses. Calvin paused as a strange sound drifted down the hall and into the room. The nurse stopped what he was doing as well, and he and Calvin exchanged confused glances. EX2103 had never heard anything like it.

The sound was sweet, yet sorrowful, and almost carried a rebelious energy in it. "They..can't be...is that singing?" the nurse shook his head and hurried out the room to see. Calvin stayed where he was, hand still holding EX2103's other unclipped hand. "Singing?" EX2103 asked. "It's what you're hearing," Calvin answered. "I...can't quite believe it. I don't know what could have started it," he continued his task, and then put the clippers down and went behind EX2103's head to retreive something else. "However, strange as it is, it won't stop your testing today."

Last edited by a moderator:
Alisha and EX2090 quickly hurried back to EX2090's room. Alisha quickly typed in the pin to open her room. EX2090 caught the combination out of the corner of her eye. 18 34 5962. Alisha was always secretive about that, but she seemed to be in too much of a rush to take the care of covering it up. Alisha lead EX2090 to her bed and made her sit down.
"I have to go before they come. Wait here." EX2090 watched as Alisha hurriedly left. She looked around, once again in darkness, and thought to herself What happened to that woman? Is she alive... EX2090 thought back to her song, slowly forming the words under her breath.
There is no place for us

The door opened. EX2090 snapped her head around to meet the eyes of the person who entered. This person was wearing a light gray suit with a tie that had a single eye on it. The eye seemed to be staring at EX2090 as the man approached her. Slowly the man reached his hand out and grabbed EX2090's chin forcing her to look at him square in the eyes. She flinched as he raised his other hand. The man dully acknowledged this and spoke slowly but with a commanding force,
"You will come with me now. If you don't I will make sure that one of the other children will die. Now, won't you be a darling and follow me?" The way he said children made it seem like he truly despised them. He pulled EX2090 to her feet and started to walk out of the room. "Come!"
EX2090 exited the room and two guards shrouded in black followed at her heels. The group walked down the hallway that seemed familiar. Then it hit her. This is where I got tested. EX2090 could feel her memory of it coming back to her. Tied down to a table as they forced pills into her to activate the virus for good. Her power spreading out among the people in that room, locking in on her old nurse. Her old nurse's whole family was shot to death in front of her. The nurse broke down in sobs before her and was quickly rushed out of the room. EX2090 had looked on in pure horror at what she had done. I did that? She deserved that. No, she didn't. Even though the nurse had hurt her, she still didn't deserve to see that again. Someone stuck a needle into her arm and next thing she knows its all black.
They came to a room that had only a desk and two chairs in it. The man sat down at one and gestured for her to take the other. He nodded to the men in the black suits. They turned and left. The man looked back at EX2090. She could hear screams of a young boy from a room not that far away. You're going to make it through. If I see you tomorrow I will try my hardest to help you through what is about to happen to you. You are going to make it through and so am I.
"You're going to tell me exactly what you remember, right now." EX2090 felt like this was a man of power. He seemed to be used to getting what he wanted when he wanted. She decided to play it safe and told him what she knew. She told him about releasing her fear on her but told him she didn't remember what it was exactly. This was a lie of course because once she sees someone's fears, they become a memory of hers too. The man listened carefully as she told her story without any real reaction. When she had finished, the man just said,
"You may leave now. The men outside will escort you back. Eat dinner quickly and go to sleep. Your caretaker will not be there."
Once back in her room, EX2090 curled up into a ball and silently cried. She wanted to scream, but she wouldn't let the guards outside know how weak she was. Alisha wasn't here to help with the memories. Each of the screams of the prisoners for that day was coming back to her. One by one their fears ran through her head until she reached the woman's. The song echoed through her mind. The song slowly slipping from her lips.

She was going to escape. She was going to make it through this.

Electrodes were attached to EX2103's head as the sound of rushed footsteps eminated from outside the room. Orders were being barked and the sounds children being dragged off almost made him feel somewhat lucky to be here, and not out there. The nurse had returned, his face a lot more pale and seemed slightly on edge. "Are you prepared to do this?" Calvin had asked when he first came back. "I'm fine," the nurse had spat. "It's nothing but a slight hiccup. The children proably will forget all about it in a few weeks. Or made to forget."

Calvin stood over EX2103 with a bottle of pills in his hand. "This is how it's going to go," he said sternly. "You're going to swallow these, and we're going to see what ability the virus has given you. We'll test it out, take some blood, and then you can have your very last injection and be sent back to your room. Is this understood?" EX2103 did not like the look of those pills at all, but he nodded and didn't fight back when Calvin lifted his head back and poured about four pills into his mouth and gave him some water. He swallowed them, resisting the urge to throw them up again as they slid roughly down his throat. A moment passed, the sounds of the machines buzzing through his ears and the nurse pausing his typing to observe any changes. "How do you feel, EX2103?" Calvin asked. "Uh...normal?" a slight panic surged through him as he thought of what they might do with him if he had no powers. Would they kill him? Would he have to suffer another decade of dark rooms and injections?

Suddenly, a small yet rapidly growing burning sensation rushed through his head. He clenched his eyes in discomfrot, unused to the sensation. Calvin's eyes narrowed in curiosity. The machine's beeping changed, monitoring the change in EX2103's body. "Well?" the nurse spat. "How do you feel?"
"Light headed," EX2103 replied drowsily. "Not good."
"Not good isn't an answer," the nurse said coming over to the boy and grabbing his face to ltake a closer look. "What's changed?"
"Easy," Calvin held out a hand to ease the nurse away. "Give it more time to take affect. We'll have him try to lift something with his mind to start."
But the nurse didn't let go. His nails started to dig into EX2103's head. "They've been working on a specific strand of virus for this subject. I need to see if it's worked, I can't afford to disapoint them. He can start by lifting me. Come on, boy!"
EX2103 started to panic. He hated touch, and there was pain from the nurse's grip. "Let go!" he whined.
"I said LIFT ME!" the nurse yelled.
"I said LET GO! Go away! I never want to see you again!" EX2103 yelled, tears welling in his eyes as the sounds of the machines got more and more overwhelming.

Suddenly the nurse let go. EX2103 opened his brown eyes to see the nurse, face blank with no emotion, back away from him and start towards the door in a calm manner. "Oswald?" Calvin called after him. "Where are you going?"
The nurse didn't reply. He simply enetered in his keycard and left. Calvin turned back to look at EX2103, who stared after the nurse in shock. "Fasinating," Calvin murmered.

An hour passed. Calvin had another nurse sent in, which he told EX2103 to try and order around. EX2103 made them sit down, pick up objects, make funny faces, and the nurse did them all without missing a beat with a blank expression on her face. When Calvin was satisfyed he administered the last injection, took some blood and walked EX2103 back to his room. "You did very well today," he said. "This form of mind control is very useful indeed, and we'll see what limits it has when you begin your training. Go and rest and I will see you in the morning."
With that, he ushered EX2103 back into his room, and he was once again alone in the dark. Everything was going to change, he could feel it. Not just because of him beginning training, but he could sense something was coming after the singing today. Something big.

EX2090 barely slept that night. She had stayed up silently crying until she fell asleep. She was shaken awake by Alisha who looked oddly composed. She didn't seem to be her normal self. EX2090 sat up and realized that her door was open letting light in. Next to the door, she could make out the man who was with her yesterday. The gestured to Alisha and she came to him. Alisha whispered something to him that she could not hear. As Alisha walked back to EX2090 the man stared EX2090 dead in the eyes. She flinched and lowered her eyes. What do I do? Why is this man here? Questions raced through her mind. She looked at Alisha who signaled for her to remain quiet. The man spoke,
"It seems all was cleared up. You may go to training now." The man then left. Alisha looked at EX2090 and started to speak as soon as the door shut.
"You weren't waking up. The bell fr training rung just awhile ago. We must hurry to get you there," said Alisha as her calm facade fell and revealed a worried face. EX2090 nodded and go up to search around for her uniform. Dragging her hand on the wall see reached the hangar and put on the suit. Alisha grabbed her hand and led her to the training room.
Inside everyone was quiet. There was a woman in the room. Her. EX2090 only saw her when new children came and the oldest left. That means they are coming today. The woman had a lab coat on and straight blond hair tied back into a ponytail. The woman looked across the room and called out the partners. Children age 13 or older helped the new ones. This was EX2090's first time but she wanted to make sure that whoever she got she would help them, just like that boy did for her. That boy had been sent out a year ago to wherever they send you after you reach 18. They never come back. EX2090 had cried when he left. He had always protected her and would help her in any way he could. EX2090 was going to do this for the child she got. She was going to make sure they were going to be okay.
"EX2080 with EX2700, EX2090 with EX2103..." the woman continued. EX2103. Okay got it.
The door to the room opened and a group of about 10 kids entered. They had a sign around their neck with numbers. EX2090 scanned them looking for hers. She caught the eye of a young boy. He looked away when they made eye contact. She slowly approached him and held out her hand. The woman began to read out the rules. She squeezed his hand to hopefully let him know he was going to be okay. Then the prisoners were brought in. Most were clean as they could be for being prisoners and no blood was to be seen. A feat that only happened on the day the new kids came. She could feel the boy's hand trembling in hers and turned to look at him. He shouldn't have to see this. EX2090 took the boy over to a prisoner. A man with a black beard and short scruffy hair.
"New children, you will use the powers that you have from testing on the person in front of you. Your partner will demonstrate first. You will comply or else one may die." said the woman. She then exited the room. EX2090 looked down at the boy. He seemed like anything was better than being here. I'm sorry you have to see this. She reached into the man's fears. His was not too horrible at least. He just feared losing all of his money. EX2090 made the fear come to life before the man's eyes. The man broke down in tears and begged for his money back. The boy looked absolutely petrified.
"It'll be fine. You are going to have to use your powers or they will kill you," whispered EX2090 to the boy. "Just follow my lead. You don't have to make it painful but you have to make it look like it."

EX2103 was awoken by the sound of the training bell. He jolted up, realising that today would be his first day of training. Calvin entered the room, and showed EX2103 where he would find his new training uniform and helped him get into it. After that Calvin lead him down the direction of the hall EX2103 had never been down. There were a few other kids like him, all with signs around their necks showing their number. He flinched slightly as Calvin placed a sign of his own over his head. "Now, do as the guards tell you and try your best," Calvin said, and soon EX2103 was being lead into the training room. A blonde woman was speaking to a group of older children. EX2103 had never seen so many new faces at once, and weird feeling of excitment tugged at his chest. A pretty looking girl caught his eye, and he remebered Calvin telling him something about the older kids showing you the ropes. He looked away, a strange feeling of shyness suddenly making him nervous. He must seem like such a baby to these more experienced kids. She walked up to him and took his slightly trembling hands. As the blonde woman began to read out the rules, he felt her squeeze his hand. The gesture was a small comofort, but one he was very thankful for. He tried to breathe deeply, calming himself. When the woman mentioned the pushiment of death, all that fear came rushing back to him.

The girl lead him over to a prisoner. He stared at her, half curious to see what she could do, and half dreading to see. She closed her eyes and focused, and for a moment it seemed like nothing was happening, until suddenly the man burst into sobs and yells, and EX2103 stepped back in horror. He listened to what the girl told him, trying to register what had just happened. Make it look like it? He turned towards the prisoner, who was still a hysteric mess. "Please stop crying..." he begged, hating the sight. The man immediatly stopped, his face that was contorted into a pained look now blank and emotionless. The prisoner sat up, eye's glazed over. EX2103 looked up at the girl. "I...I did it!" he said, slightly proud and hoping she'd approve.

EX2090 watched curiously as the man stopped crying and pleading and turned into an emotionless shell. EX2090 was glad he had stopped crying, but what the man was now wasn't himself. This must be the boy's power. The boy was now looking at her seemingly wanting approval. She wanted to give it to him but she knew this wouldn't be the end of what the boy had to do. She had to tell him that he would have to hurt the man. She had to or they were going to hurt him.
"Good, but now you must make him hurt. Or at least cry. Please do this. If not you're going to die," EX2090 whispered to him. She didn't want to break the hope she saw in his eyes. She wanted to protect him. She didn't want him to have to through sleepless nights plagued by the screams of his victims.

The warm feeling of pride slipped away as he heard the girl's words. "Hurt? But...but I don't want to hurt anyone!" He eyed the guards around him, seeming to notice his reluctance. "But...I don't want to die either! How can you do this to these people? What did they do wrong?" Tears threatened to sting his eyes as he realised why he was here. They had to hurt other people, and he hated it. He wanted to run back to his dark room and hide. Better that then to make the man weep like the girl had.

"Shhhh.....You're going to be heard. You just have to. Please," whispered EX2090 back. She could see the tears forming in his eyes. What was she supposed to do? All of a sudden a girl, one of the new, ones started to scream.
"I don't want to do it! I won't! No, no no!" A guard came and dragged her out in front of everyone. He raised the gun to the back of the crying girl's head and shot. EX2090 looked down at EX2103 and covered his ears and eyes. She could only cover his ears in time. She felt tears dripping down her face. The other children had either watched in horror or turned away. The young kids were barely able to keep it together. Some dropping to the floor crying, some hugging each other. Those hugging were quickly broken up by the guards.
"This... this is why you do it. It is only temporary pain versus death. It is much better than having someone die or you die because of it," she said those words, the ones she kept telling herself, the lies. They have started to lose power for her but hopefully, the boy can understand. Hopefully, he will comply and won't die. She could feel her hand trembling but she smiled at the boy trying to tell him he had to be strong. That he was going to make it through this. That he was going to be okay.
She knew he wasn't but she wanted him not to fall into the depths of sadness that threaten to engulf her.

Last edited:
The muffled sound of the gunshot froze EX2103 to the spot, his heartbeat loud in his ears. It was horrible. Everything was horrible. He felt himself dissociating, his emotions going numb. The girl uncovered his ears, and he listened to her words, his eyes fixed on the dead girl as a guard lifted her limp body and carried her away, slow enough for all the new children to get a good look before he disapeared through a door. EX2103's throat felt dry, and he felt he was going to be sick. He nodded to the girl, turning around to face the prisoner, who seemed slightly more like himself now and begining to register that a child had been shot in front of him. "I...I'm sorry," he murmered to him. "Hit yourself. Hard. In the face." The man's face grew expressionless again, and his right armed rose up before he struck his own jaw with his fist. It wasn't enough. "Again," said EX2103 coldly. "Harder."
The man did, even harder this time, and a clear red mark began to show on his jaw. "Keep hitting yourself!" He was yeling now, the hysteria of the situation overtaking him. The man continued to pummle his fist into his face, hitting his eyes, his nose which broke with a sickening crunch, his mouth. A tooth shot out upon the sixth or seventh puch. EX2103 felt hot tears leaking down his face. He turned to the girl as the man continued. "Am I done? Can I please tell him to stop now?" he begged.

She wiped away her tears before the boy could see them. EX2090 watched silently, showing no emotion on her face as the boy commanded the man to hit himself over and over again. She looked at the boy as he did this, wanting to hug him and take him away from the horror he had just done and seen. EX2090 looked at the prisoner as they punched their tooth out. The boy was crying now and asked her if he could stop. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see the few scientists in the room taking notes on his power. They were looking at them as if they were some animals in a cage, just there to observe, look at, and abuse. EX2090 wanted to let her tears fall but she didn't want the boy to see, it would just have to wait. Luckily the bell to move on rang just then.
"Yes...yes you can. You're done. It's okay. You're done," said EX2090 softly in her ear. "I'm so sorry you have to do this, but you're going to have to do it again. Each time the bell rings you move on to the next prisoner. There are only 10 today because you guys are new. I will be here with you the whole way." She grabbed his hand and lead him to the next prisoner.

EX2103 breathed in small sobbing gasps as he told the man to stop. He let the girl lead him to the next prisoner, his eyes blurred from his tears. He tried to calm down, to get a hold of himself. He wiped his eyes "What's your number?" he asked her, suddenly realising he didn't know. She didn't have a sign around her neck. He decided he liked the girl, she was kind and comforting, something he had never had before.

"EX2090. Now you need to stop talking, they will catch us," said EX2090 with a small but genuine smile. "You ready for what's about to happen?" She looked at the next prisoner. Only 9 more then we're free. At least he won't have to have it so hard today. She put him in front of the next prisoner and stepped back waiting for him to do his magic.

EX2090. He repeated her number in his head. He spotted her smile, the gesture small but comforting. He nodded in response and readied himself for another horrible encounter. The next prisoner was older than the last, and stared EX2103 down with a harded stare. EX2103 muttered an apology to him, in which the man spat on the floor in his response. Despite this, EX2103 still felt the horrible pressure of guilt cling at his chest. "Slam your face into the ground three times. Hard," he ordered. He looked away as the prisoner's harded face turned into a blank one, and the sounds of his skull connecting with the floor made EX2103 feel sick to his stomach. The three head smashes seemed to be enough for the guards and they let them move on to the next prisoner, the last's face soaked in the blood pooling out of his forehead wound.

EX2090 was amazed by the boy's powers. They could be helpful maybe? He seemed quite good at using them too for his first time. Their next prisoner, an older man, spat when the boy start to talk to him. EX2090 pretend that she did not see it but she couldn't help but wince. The boy didn't deserve that. After the boy had finished with the man they made their way through the other 8 prisoners. Each time bringing back memories. Their last prisoner looked familiar. A young man. Barely an adult but definitely not a teenager. He was blond and had the same blue eyes as the woman from the day before. They might be related? She looked at the young man who seemed to share the same fiery resilience. The young man looked at her. His eyes opened with recognition.
"You! You're the one who got my aunt killed! I'll kill you!" screaming the young man. He was struggling against his restraints. "My name is Adair! The person you killed is Elva! Remember her name!" He struggled these last words out as the guards picked him up and took him away. On his way out he started his aunt's song.
"A silent night this is, my dear
The sparrows sing in great sorrow
They wish for their heads

There is no place for us
"
The training room had fallen silent. A guard covered his mouth, but he continued to sing. He bit the guard's hand so that he may be heard and belted out the chorus. A few of the prisoners joined in but were quickly silenced by the guards. Even after he was carried out of the room and closed the door they could still hear him. Then a shot was heard. Any crying, screaming or struggling had stopped. EX2090 felt all of the air leave her lungs and fell to the floor.

EX2103 readied himself as they reached the last prisoner. He was eager to get out of here. As he thought of how he'd bring pain to the final prisoner, the man burst out in rage at EX2090. EX2103 realized that she had been part of the singing he had heard. He looked up at her. She was different, different to all the other kids. She seemed smart, knowing how to stay alive but also seemed rebelious in a calculated way. The man's yells at her angered him. She hadn't done anything wrong! They were just kids, kids who would die if they didn't do as they were told. The guards came for the prisoner and he began to sing. EX2103 reconized the song from last time. He looked around to see if the other children would join in. A few tried, but the sight of guards raising their guns quickly smothered all signs of rebellion. The man was dragged away, and the gunshot that followed almost made EX2103 jump out of his skin. Suddenly EX2090 collapsed. "EX2090? Are you okay?" He asked urgently. kneeling down next to her, his hand on her shoulder. Was she passing out?

EX2090 felt her lungs contract, searching for air. She could hear a murmur of something next to her ear and felt something on her shoulder. A hand? The boy said something to her but all she could hear was the loud breathing of her heart. She tried to look up but everything was swirling together. She could make out the sound of a medical siren going off. EX2090 closed her eyes.

Nest thing she remembered was waking up scared and confused in her own bed. Alisha was there holding her hand. Her teeth felt horrible. They seemed to be pounding in her mouth. EX2090 reached her trembling hand to Alisha and asked,
"What happened? Why am I here? Is the boy...EX2103, I think, okay?" Alisha squeezed her hand. She pulled EX2090 into a hug.
"The boy is alright. He was carted out of the room along with the rest of the kids. You fainted. You hit your teeth pretty hard so be careful eating."
EX2090 nuzzled her head into Alisha's neck. She could feel the tears coming. One by one they dripped down her face. They sat like that for a while until EX2090 spoke,
" I don't want to hurt anyone anymore. I'm going to escape with you, just like you said, but we have to take that boy with us and everyone else." EX2090 felt Alisha nod. EX2090 knew this would make the task immensely hard, but no one deserved to stay here.
They would start preparations that night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back