• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A Concept Interest Check (Closed)

Literary Revenant

One Thousand Club
I've desired to host a story since my return to this website some time ago. However, after previous successes have lost their luster, I felt that I needed to indulge in a new story concept. Dozens of ideas have flown through my head, been half written in my private thread only to be hastily deleted after sleeping on it. So, I have put more ink to paper until I have finally decided to simply ask you, the people, which idea you feel you may be interested in. I have three concepts I feel could be fun to both write and play. All of which are set in a world I've created.

The first idea is something I call "The Light Lotus Co." A Mercenary based story where a failing mercenary captain longs to rebuild her reputation as the number one mercenary group in Balthora. However to do so, she must recruit a group of rookies and lead them to a new world where she and her crew face many dangers, daring rescues, crying damsels, grumpy nobles, all kinds of fun until they ultimately face their most difficult challenge. A group centered story with a set ending. The little bits I had written for an interest check were fun, edgy, and overall kinda different from what I've normally written.

The second idea is something I call "The Plea - A Sacred Mission" A Hero based story where a strange figure appears in your dreams, calling you one of the "Chosen ones" to save the world from a new and unexpected enemy to the peace. Through an adventure of drama, romance, and individual growth do you finally muster the strength to combat this new force until an even more powerful twist confronts you in the final moments before victory. This was semi inspired by Destiny the video game where you are revived and forced to fight for the forces of light, but I was aiming more for a dynamic politics feel with this one and not a fighter rom com horror mystery extravaganza.

The third idea is a reboot of my previous story "Ris'Saliance Aior" which already has an interest check on the forums but hasn't received any takers yet. Aaafter a few months of being up... Perhaps I went a little too detail heavy, but essentially its a story where Vaskoliir, young people who drink dragon blood and survive, join an elite force who are sent on the most dangerous missions against elves, dragons, basilisks and more until they confront an unexpected challenge. This idea is currently the most developed but could have some things changed for more user friendliness.

I've seen a bit of a trend where sandbox stories have gotten lots of interest. I was interested in one myself, but the biggest thing that I worry about is a loss of direction. I wanted to ask if sandbox elements are a requirement for a successful story? Any feedback on these concepts is welcome and if you feel you may be interested in these concepts let me know :D

Yes, sandbox concept is interesting but I don't think it's a requirement for good RP. It also comes with some risks. Loss of direction is one of them, the other is it can be overwhelming to keep track every single groups(for both the GM and the players), some people might only pay attention to their own group and will make some plot inconsistency down the way.

As for your current concepts. I mostly interested in the first one. It seems to be the most down to earth concept out of the three. I also think it's the most easy to manage.

I'm unsure what my opinions on sandbox concepts are. I feel like it depends on the individual concept itself.

Also, the mercenary one seems like a lot of fun! I'd be interested in that one... though the other two sound like fun as well. (>.<)

Remmock Remmock Alright, let me answer those questions.
The Technological Era is late Medieval and early Renaissance in terms of weaponry. Swords and armor still dominate the battlefield. Blackpowder has not been invented, as a substitute people who do have firearms use a substance called Ardanor, a contained form of Arcana that combusts with a single spark. When directed with a proper focus like the barrel of a pistol, it can be accurate and deadly. Although very expensive. In terms of actual technology, I wouldn't say steampunk but more of a 'Black Clover' inspiration where magic is being used in industry, masonry, etc and if you aren't using magic you are either a proud master or a poor artisan. Later on in this story, you'll see an example of the formation of Magical Technology.

I'm not too sure what you mean by Magic Level, but there are several forms/Schools of magic. The First is Recensere Precantio, Change Magic. Also the Mother branch for healing. This school focuses on the scientific applications of magic and does deal in transformation to a degree. The Second is Umbra Venificium, Illusion/Shadow Magic. Note shadow doesn't mean evil magic, it means more of the Deceptive play of magic, Using certain aspects of how we interpret light to change how something or someone looks. Finally Impetus Magicae, Combat/Assault magic. Need I say more about this kind? I had the idea that any one person can practice 2 schools of magic at a time. The humans have begun to use magic in more and more applications, but still haven't gotten to the point where Magic dominates life. Other species like the Alver (Or Alveric Elves) have mastered the use on magic in architecture. So in short Magic is very important but still a rare thing amongst humans. Mages don't grow on trees per say, they grow on trees that only sprout fruit once every thousand years only after catching a particular magical puff of smoke blindfolded with your hands. (I hope that analogy helped. :D)

There are currently 5 races including humanity, there are more but these are the only ones humanity have made contact with. The Alver, Alveric Elves. The Voral, Voralian Elves. The Orunga, what I call orcs (Inspired by WoW). The Dragons. And Finally Humans. I plan on limiting the creation of characters to the human race as the story starts in the human homeland of Balthora, a continent far away from the continent of Vian but I haven't decided yet whether to have it start in Balthora or Vian. Also the story is set in a time where Humanity is just encountering the other races and kingdoms, no connections have been made yet.

Lastly you asked for Nations. There are 5 known Nations of Vian currently. Again there are more but they have yet to be discovered. Alver, Empire of the Alveric Elves. Voral, the Covens of the Voralian Elves. Orungalo, the Tribes of the Orcs. Dara'Okarthel, Clans of the Dragons. Finally Balthora Jotenii, the settlement of Balthora (Humanity).
The four non human races have solid contacts with eachother but due to Humanities somewhat violent arrival, they have all grown leery of the humans and have refused to make dealings with them. This is kinda the start of something Grand! MAGNIFICENT!!! Okay I'll stop being dramatic now.
Fringe groups of the Alver may have made trade with the humans but so far Humanity is on it's own.

I hope that all makes sense, if you or anyone has more questions please ask, I'll be happy to clarify any questions or concerns about these concepts. (Although it definitely seems #1 is the winner.)

I like 3 of them but the first is more attractive. Please pm me when your rp is about to begin or send me a link of what you already have. Thank you. 👍

Literary Revenant Literary Revenant
Thank you so very much for your detailed response. I apologize that I was at work and was unable to respond immediately, but I'm fairly impressed. You addressed it already, but when I said "Magic Level" I was indeed referring to how common magic is supposed to be in the setting. As a result, I'll be looking forward to working further with you on the concept for my character when this launches. I'm looking forward to it and would love to chat further depending on what you're open to discussing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back