A Cold Day

With the hearthstone in place, Essence begins to flow into the panel. Displays begin to turn on, then the large holo-display tank in the center of the room. From one of the now active panels, you can see that there is still a trickle of power being diverted to maintain the station's AI spirit, so it is possible that it will be able to be revived without too much difficulty.

Checking the outside cameras, they are all dark. Not that they are off-line, but they are all blocked from being able to see anything. There is a different system that shows you a odd reason for this. A massive amount of rock and debris is piled up on top of the Titan; megatons worth of rubble, covering the entire station and blocking the outside view. The good news is that at least you can now tell that the Titan is not in the middle of the Wyld or sucked out into Elsewhere, but is still in Creation somewhere. That should make restoring the great fortress a little easier.

"Ash," she continues after a short pause, "I can start summoning elementals pretty much any time if that would help constitute a crew."

Ash shakes her head, then, remembering Khutulun cannot see her, chuckles wryly. "Not unless you can find me a hundred elementals who understand Essence circuitry, motonic physics and perpetual motion mechanics. Summoning an elemental -- a respectable, moderately important one -- might not be a bad idea when we have time, though. We need an update on where things stand in Creation."

Khutulun chuckles back through the Echo Jewel, "yeah, figured as much. Though I'd ask just in case, though. I think we may have to train anyone we want to help us. With the Deliberative dead, who could really keep their skills sharp in those areas? I can train us an army if we find some willing men and women, but mechanics... not so much. Anyone know any likely lesser elemental dragons?" She asks, now addressing the rest of them as well, "I know a couple of gods, but I didn't think to build a proper rapport with anyone in the Terrestrial Bureaucracy."

Weiss shakes her head. "I was never a popular person in the Deliberative; my work hunting down Apostates didn't make many friends." She lets out a chuckle. "I guess I'm out of a job. Good thing that I'm here, ey?" Then, since Ash and Justinian are not able to see what the displays show, she relays the info to the others. "Somehow, the Titan has gotten buried under a shit-ton of debris. That might explain why we are alone in here. Well, probably alone. Internal sensors are off-line; no power to them to be able to tell. There appears that there has been some power being fed to the AI spirit of the station. I'm going to try to bring it up and see if it is still functional. Wish me luck."

Working the controls on the console, Weiss will try to get the spirit active.

Ash laughs again softly as she feeds a mote to her Flaw Scanner and carefully inspects the condition of all the reactors, taking note of any damage she might have missed during her first go-over, and keeping an eye out for any human remains or signs the conflict reached down here.

"I can train up some mechanics, but it will take a while. Hmm...maybe somebody from the Bureau of Seasons? Old Ghataru or Zuktaka? I suppose we'd only get their answering service, but it might be worth a try."

In the Reactor Room

Ash gets busy with examining the power systems, and you do find that while the main engine is operating, some of the secondary systems are off line due to their reactors needing to be serviced. Right now, several of the backups are completely turned off, shut down to keep them from getting damaged. The Titan can operate without them, but some of the ancillary systems won't work, and the fortress will not be at 100% power. The main weapon, the Eye of Judgement, will take longer to charge for firing without rerouting power from other parts of the station, and at most only half the Essence cannons on the outer hull will be operational at any one time. Not a major concern at this point, but something to be aware of for the future.

You can also see the power flow into the station's AI like Weiss mentioned. With all of the redundant systems protecting the spirit of the station from power loss, it is possible that the intelligence will be able to be recovered, but there is a chance of some . . . personality changes . . . from the long period of inactivity.

In the Control Room

Weiss slides up to the terminal to begin the reboot of the Titan's AI. The panel is simple enough to use, but it is still a bit of work to safely bring the spirit guide of the base up and working once more. It takes you several minutes of various keystrokes to get a response from the computer, but finally, the system lights up in safe mode. There is a command prompt that will allow you to access the basic functions of the AI.

What do you wish to do?

Weiss gives Khutulun a smile and a thumbs-up. "Bingo! I got a pulse here! I'm going to try to bring up the AI now, and we can see just what we are dealing with." She cracks her knuckles and leans forward, typing on the keyboard to restart the system. But, even as she types, she does her best to keep her attention open and not laser focused on the terminal, just in case there is an intruder in the place. She does not want to be caught unawares.

Once Weiss presses 'enter' on the keyboard, there is a response from the computer. A holographic display of a golden dragon appears in the air. It floats still for a moment, then with a smooth flight, it flits over to hover over each of your heads for a moment. From the speakers, you hear, "Celestial Exalted identified as the Lunar Weiss Contauge and the Solar Khutulun. While you are not a member of the crew, you are, of course, welcome. I am TARU. How may I serve you, Noble Exalts?"

"With a status report," Khutulun says immediately, turning to the AI and leaving her Echo jewel transmitting to the others. "Is any crew left alive, can the Essence Generators be safely reactivated, why are we covered in rock? What other pertinent information do we need before proceeding?"

The glowing dragon in the air bobs and weaves its way back to the center of the room over the holo-tank and looks over at Khutulun. "Ooooh! So many questions after so long! How exciting!" Then, a 3D image of the Titan appears in the air, and it slowly rotates around on its axis. Red indicator lights quickly fill the screen, showing multiple systems off line. "Before my deactivation, I was instrumental in assisting in placing Scattered Petals of the Thousand-Toothed Blossom into a controlled deactivation, leaving only the most basic power and station functionality left. As of now, the main reactor is in low power mode, generating just enough power to keep the Scattered Petals floating; approximately 25% of full operating power. Secondary reactors are reporting a need for maintenance before they can be brought up to active status. Internal sensors are off line due to lack of power, so currently I am unable to scan for life forms inside the station. I can inform you that prior to my deactivation, there were only forty crew members on Scattered Petals that were completing the shut down of the fortress."

TARU pauses for a moment, then continues. "Outer hull is intact, and all airlock and hangar bay doors are sealed shut. The Essence Cannons on the outer hull are off line, both due to lack of power and also from the fact that the outer hull is currently buried under many megatons of rock and soil, keeping the cannons from being able to be deployed. The reason for this covering of rock is unknown. Without more power to the sensors I am unable to determine the extent of the covering.

The station's arsenal of the Thousand Forged Dragons currently rests at thirty five. Proper command codes will be needed in order to deploy them, along with clearing the launch bays of the obstructing debris. Also, until the hull is cleared for the Titan to assume its Battle Configuration, the Eye of Judgement will not be able to be activated, nullifying the need to worry about powering the weapon."

Another pause as the spirit checks various systems onboard. "Hmmm. What else? All command and control signals from the Deliberative are off the air, and there is no contact from my queries to I AM. There are also no signals coming from any of the other three Directional Titans, which would indicate that they are either in the Outer Wyld, shut down in the same manner as Scattered Petals, or they have been destroyed."

"Increasing power output from the main reactor is possible, and with more power, I will be able to provide you with more data about the Titan and the surrounding areas. As I mentioned earlier, the secondary reactors need work before they can be restarted."

"Noble Exalts, I hope you can forgive my inability to provide you with more data. My biggest need is more power. Without that, my hands are tied."

How exciting? That doesn't sound quite like a typical AI. Might be damaged from the shutdown. "Thank you, TARU. Your service is very much appreciated. Now, since the biggest need that we have is more power from the reactor, can you begin to increase output slowly, or is that something we need to do ourselves? I don't like sitting here in the dark, fumbling around for answers." Weiss then looks over to Khutulun. "We may need you to provide us with an earth elemental to help us dig our way out to the surface so we can see what is out there."

The holo-dragon bobs its head. "Of course I can help! I can begin the process of increasing power output, but if there are any blown fuses, I will need to have actual hands on site to change them out." TARU spins about in the air in apparent excitement. "Being useful after so long makes me happy! Thank you, Noble Exalts! All you have to do is give the command and I will begin." With another spin in the air, TARU says, "If we increase the power levels even as little as another 10%, I can begin to power different systems, just one at a time, however. Can I begin to bring Scattered Petals on line again? Please, Noble Exalt? It will be so wonderful to perform my function once more!"

"Ash, are you hearing this?" Khutulun says through the Echo Jewel, "I think this is your call. How much can the generators handle, and how quickly?"

Weiss in now in the odd position of trying to calm a AI spirit. "I understand your excitement, TARU, but we must move in slow steps in order to ensure the safe activation of the Titan. As of now, we do not have a full crew ready to step in and take over." Looking over at Khutulun, she has a new thought. "TARU, we have four Exalts on the station right now; there are the two of us, and also two more Solar Exalts. What can we do to lock the controls and main functions of the Titan to recognize only the four of us as having authorization?" She looks at her Solar Bond and says, "I don't want to have some other Exalt take control of the Titan after we have gone through all of this to bring it back on line."

Ash's voice comes over the the echo jewel. "I've checked out all the reactors. They're intact, but they've been too long without maintenance to operate safely at 100% capacity. Best case scenario, half the weapons systems will be offline and siege mode will drain power from critical systems. I wouldn't recommend trying to activate anything but the maneuvering engines and the AI until the reactors have been fully serviced and we have at least a skeleton crew."

Weiss call out to the team in the power room. "Ok. Keep your eyes open, 'cause I'm going to have TARU slowly increase power to 30% and look for any system failures. If you spot a potential problem, call out." Looking back to the spirit, she says, "TARU, did you hear what I was saying? A slow build-up of power, and monitor the relays for any damage, please."

"TARU, we have four Exalts on the station right now; there are the two of us, and also two more Solar Exalts. What can we do to lock the controls and main functions of the Titan to recognize only the four of us as having authorization?"
With a serious tone, TARU regards Weiss. "Noble Exalt, the only way to accomplish that is with the Station Commander's operational codes. On the Titan, he alone has the authority to lock Exalts out of the primary systems. I cannot exclude any Exalt without those codes being entered first."
Weiss call out to the team in the power room. "Ok. Keep your eyes open, 'cause I'm going to have TARU slowly increase power to 30% and look for any system failures. If you spot a potential problem, call out." Looking back to the spirit, she says, "TARU, did you hear what I was saying? A slow build-up of power, and monitor the relays for any damage, please."
Once this command is given, the spirit dragon spins about the air once more in apparent excitement. "Oh, goody! I can do that! Incremental increase of main reactor output to 30% of full coming up! Monitoring systems as directed." Several long moments go by with no visible difference, then the main overhead lights flicker on, along with several status displays. "Power now at 15%, and no system failures have been detected. Continuing to increase power output."

Another minute goes by, and TARU reports, "Output is now at 20%. Sufficient reserves are now available to operate internal sensors. Standby. Noble Weiss and Khutulun, I am now able to detect a total of five life signs onboard; the two of you, two in the main power core, and one moving through the Titan, currently on Deck 3, near Bulkhead 12. The identity of the three life forms not currently on the Command Deck are unknown. Continuing to increase power output."

Weiss' head snaps around. "Five? Did you guys hear that? We have company in here!" With a wicked smile, she looks over at Khutulun. "Want to go hunting? Whatever it is, I'm betting that we have either a demon or an Exalt on our hands; what else could have lived so long trapped inside here?"

"Way ahead of you," Khutulun says, her blade once more resting on her shoulder as she moves swiftly towards the door they entered through. "TARU, can you guide us to the lone presence? The pair in the main power core are friends too, so keep them appraised of our situation." She pulls out her Echo Jewel and leaves it near where TARU's voice emmenates from, "use this," she adds as she strides out the door, her movements made swifter by the Gem of Perfect Mobility embedded in her skin.

Ash slips on the Essence Goggles from her rucksack as she monitors the reactors, watching for any sign of an overload.

These are a version of the Essence-Scrying Visor from Scrolls of the Fallen Races, pg. 25. They grant thermo-vision, +2 Awareness, and the ability to see active currents of Essence working in artifacts or people using Charms.

Justinian draws his daiklaives, loosing the chains holding them to the hilt. He begins spinning them in circles, testing them out and making sure they haven't suffered any damage. With a flourish, he retracts them and lets his arms fall to his side. He turns to Ash and says "If you think you'll be safe on your own, I'd like to take a crack at hunting down whatever's creeping around Scattered Petals."

Weiss takes a moment to pull her Glaive out of Elsewhere, then she spends a few motes of Essence to begin fueling her Charms. Whatever it is out there, it will have its hands full if it decides to fight us. "Lets move! TARU, keep us informed as to the movements of that fifth life form in here." Using her own Gemstone of Perfect Mobility, the spry Lunar keeps up with Khutulun with ease as the two of them race through the dark corridors of the Titan.
I want to go ahead and put 12m 1wp to my Instinctive Dex Unity to have the 6m reduction on cost for the Scene.

Last edited:
Leaving Ash in the Power Core, Justinian, Weiss and Khutulun go running through the dark halls of the Titan on their way to find whatever being it is that TARU can locate on the internal sensors. With occasional updates on the location of the target from TARU over the Echo Jewel, it does not take long for the three of you to rendezvous in the hallway. According to the directions you are being given, your target is right inside the next room. You would know that this is a part of the crew quarters for the officers of the station. Located right outside in the hall is another symbol carved into the metal in Claw Speak, saying the same thing as the one at the control room: Mine.

What do you do now? Barge right in and challenge the occupant, or something else?

To make things easier, we will go ahead and have everyone at full Essence before activating any new Charms. Please keep track of your expenditures. So far, Weiss is down 12m and 1wp. Anyone else wish to kick on some Charms?

As they close in on their quarry, a magnificent golden stallion springs from Khutulun's brow as the light of the Unconquered Sun surrounds her. Rather than dissipating into nothingness as most manifestations of a Celestial Exalt's anima would, the stallion comes to rest in the Cry That Wakes The World, making the blade itself shine rather than the Exalt who carries it.

Glancing at her companions, she says, "it's probably too much to hope for that whoever is in there is unaware of us. Either of you got a better idea than kicking in the door?"

Activating Infinite Melee Mastery for 24m, 1wp and Immortal Blade Triumphant for 15m, 1wp.

Essence:
Permanent: ●●●●● ●
Personal: 20/20 (28)
Peripheral: 37/37 (66)
Committed: 44
10 Orichalcum Celestial Battle Armor
-10 Skin Mount Amulet (WotLA 72)
-2 Aegis-Inset Amulets (WotLA 71)

24 Infinite Melee Mastery
15 Immortal Blade Triumphant

Willpower: 8/10

Weiss shakes her head. "Nothing comes to mind. I have a feeling that this is about to go south with a quickness." She just wonders to herself if they are about to face off against an enemy, or a potential ally. "Lets go in ready." With that, she focuses her Essence and takes on her Deadly Beastman Form. "Ready."
In DBT Form
12m 1wp spent on Instinctive Dexterity Unity, and committing 2m to Halting the Scarlet Flow
Willpower: 10/9
Essence: 6
Personal: 26
Peripheral: 84 -- 22 committed (62/43)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back