• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A clash of desires.

It was Kaya who drove herself, Thea and Isaac this time across the city, following behind the car that Lucas and Beth were in as it sped through multiple red lights to ensure that they got to their location before Nicholas did. Although, Kaya was not convinced that they would win this race; she knew Nicholas too well and if anything he would have left their previous scene to make his way straight to this one to avoid another run in with her group. Or maybe not, maybe he planned to finish what he had started and be there just as they arrived. Either way, Kaya was almost certain that there would be some kind of battle ahead of them, but this time she was much more determined that it would be a battle that they would win.

"Do you think we really can take on Nicholas?" Thea asked from the passenger seat, stealing a glance at the brunette who hadn't said a word since they'd got into the car. "I do," Kaya confirmed as she glanced to her friend briefly. "He's powerful but he's also outnumbered. We have that on our side at least." Every part of Kaya wished that she felt the same confidence she was portraying. She was well practiced at instilling belief in her teammates but not so much at convincing herself. She wouldn't let this show however as she gave Thea a small reassuring smile, looking a little more like her old self as she pushed her own problems aside momentarily to try and deal with the worries of her friends. "And what about your shield?" Thea continued to voice her concerns, taking Kaya's softer expression as an invitation to open up their conversation. "Can you use it again now? Isaac stayed momentarily silent in the back as he let Thea work her magic, wondering if their boss would allow them any further glimmer of information about what had happened just before the apartment building had collapsed. "It takes time to heal when I've overused it," she answered honestly. "But yes, I think I should be able to use it normally now that I've had a chance to recuperate."
"Does that happen to you a lot? Losing your energy, I mean."
"It happens more when I'm... stressed, I guess." Kaya turned away then, worried that she may have opened up the avenue of conversation a little more than she had intended to. Given that Thea knew her so well however, she stopped herself from prying too much further, taking Kaya's movement away from her as a sign that she wished for the questions to stop.
"Then you must have been hella stressed today Kay," Isaac flashed a grin towards the girls in an attempt to lighten the atmosphere, which simply resulted in Thea turning in her seat to whack him in the chest. "Shut up, idiot," she hissed at him, although her expression lightened when she noticed that Kaya was shaking her head with a smile.

As they arrived at the house to see it looking like any of the other houses on the street, Isaac was the first out of the car, ready to take up the instructions that he and Beth had been given just before they had left the office. Kaya watched as he and Beth approached the building, something like uncomfortable trepidation settling in her chest; it would be too easy to assume that Nicholas wasn't here but the brunette knew better than to underestimate him. This could well be a trap that she had set her team up to walk right into. It was with this thought that Kaya found that she was unable to sit and keep watch in the car, so instead she silently slipped from the vehicle, Thea following behind her. It was this movement that also drew Lucas from his car, grabbing the collar he had been instructed to bring as he left. "Is everything okay?" He whispered to Thea, who simply answered with a shrug of her shoulders. Kaya lead the three to a large oak tree which stood just next to the house, taking up position crouched behind it. "I don't like this," she whispered. "Something feels... off. Lucas did you grab the collar?" In response, Lucas simply lifted it so Kaya could see the contraption, giving him a nod and then turning back to the building in front of them, unbeknownst that an eruption was about to take place within its walls.

It was Beth's initial scream, following a loud crashing sound that alerted the trio that something was wrong. Kaya was the first to stand abruptly; thinking on her feet was one of the talents that she had mastered when training for her position and she could already feel her mind working out the potential angles they could take that may prove instrumental in taking Nicholas down. Despite her earlier displays of weakness, a little break away from the emotional turmoil had allowed her to regroup and stash away the emotions that had previously started to get the better of her. Now, the new Kaya was very much present, her brown eyes dull and calculating, which was a far cry away from the look that had glistened in them just an hour or so before. "Lucas, take the front, I'll take the back. I'll distract Nicholas and as soon as he's looking at me, I want you to get that thing around his neck. Thea, go with Lucas and be ready to shock with your highest voltage. Go." Kaya watched as the two raced to the front door, before making her own way to the back.

Meanwhile, in the living room, Beth could feel her body convulsing with terror, even though she was unable to move. She couldn't peel her eyes away from those icy blues, as she considered that they might be the last thing she saw before--

"Miss me, Nick?" Kaya's voice cut through the tension of the moment, her tone somewhat seductive as she stood in full view of her enemy, leaning against the doorframe in a somewhat casual manner as she examined the scene in front of her, arms folded across her chest. Kaya avoided the frightened look in Beth's eyes, choosing instead to fixate her gaze on the back of Nicholas's head to avoid any distractions. She had to keep her cool in this situation, the lives of her teammates depended on it and she would not let Nicholas get the better of her. Not this time. Subtly, she cast a glance around the room, noticing Isaac who was unconscious in front of a smashed cabinet and the family who looked to be frozen in the corner, their faces white with fright. Although somewhat drained from the events that had happened earlier in the day, Kaya appeared taller now and more determined in her motives. If anything she felt angry, angry at their failed attempt to capture Nicholas and angry that here he was again, endangering the lives of her friends and innocent humans. It was this emotion that Kaya could feel gushing through her veins and accumulating in the palms of her hands, as she closed her eyes and sent out silent psionic waves that curled like invisible vines into Nicholas's mind. Kaya could seek out the nerve endings in his head and ignite them with her power, causing an intense burning sensation that could disarm or even worse, if she wished it to. On this occasion though, Kaya decided to go with the former, allowing her anger to intensify the use of her power, much like Nicholas had with his flames earlier in the day.

"I bet you didn't expect to see me again so soon after our little reunion," she glowered at him, brown eyes burning now with hatred, above all other emotions that she was fighting to keep out of her mind. "I told you that you'd pay for what you've done today, and you know how I am Nicholas. I never stop until I've got what I want," she continued, echoing his earlier sentiments.

Kaya could sense movement in front of her then, but her eyes stayed glued to Nicholas to ensure that he wouldn't notice Lucas, who was creeping steadily closer to him, collar in hand.

"Lucas, now!"

Nicholas’ body froze in response to the familiar voice. Although he didn’t turn around, it wasn’t hard to tell that he was smiling. Kaya’s presence verified to the male that Beth and Isaac were indeed not alone. And if Kaya’s here, it surely means that Lucas would be too. The male would close his palm to extinguish the dark glowing flames that he’d conjured seconds before.

“I knew that you couldn’t stay awa....” Nicholas’ sentence was cut off by a surge of migraines throughout his body. The pain was even more unbearable than when Kaya had used it on him in the building. It‘s clear that her determination to neutralize him have grown since their last meeting. The pain was indescribable as Nicholas felt every nerve in his body strangled by an unknown force. Unable to withstand the torture, Nicholas fell to his knees as he pushed his hands out to keep him from collapsing. The file of names was still clenched tightly in his hands as the male refused to give in to the illusion.

It was then that he heard the signal be given to Lucas, who emerged from hiding with the collar in hand. That was what Nicholas was waiting for. With his lips curved into a sly smile, Nicholas released a powerful shockwave from his body that was strong enough to send everyone in the room flying into the walls. It had occurred so unexpectedly that no one was prepared for it.

The feeling was becoming all too familiar for Lucas as his body flew into the drywall beside Isaac’s unconscious body. In the chaos, Lucas became separated with the collar, which had since flew towards the opposite side of the room. The psionic wave had affected Beth as well whose body was also propelled into a nearby couch. Fortunately for her, Nicholas never had time to fully place her into a trance. The disruption of his mind from Kaya plus the collision with the furniture essentially snapped her out of her hypnotic status.

(Since it all happened so quick, I’m assuming that Kaya didn’t have the chance to shield up so I’ll write it based on that. If not, I’m happy to change it.)

Before Kaya could recover from the psionic blast, she would fine her body lifted up from the rubble. Nicholas had caught her within his telepathic hold as he guided her paralyzed floating body towards him.

“Come on now, Kay. You got to do better than that. Have you forgotten how I became the man I am today?” Nicholas said jeeringly. He’d endured nearly a decade of torment at the hands of the Reids and those under them. Nicholas had went through just about every form of suffering imaginable, both physical and mental. To him, what Kaya had inflicted upon him was nothing. After all, at the end of the day, the pain from her powers are only an illusion. In contrast, what Nicholas had experienced at the hands of Helix was very real.

The true irony resides in the fact that had it not been for Helix, Nicholas may not had learned how to master his powers so early in his life. Nicholas still remembered every detail from his days in the facility. All the tests, the taunts, and the betrayals, he remembers it all. There’s times where Nicholas would look back and remember the things that his captors have said about his power. Through their tests and talks, the scientists had unknowingly drew Nicholas a blueprint of everything there is to know about his abilities and more.

Nicholas would lower Kaya’s body to eye level as he forced her to connect with his eyes. But right before he could invade her mind, Lucas had recovered from the impact and charged into Nicholas, whose attention had been diverted to Kaya. Lucas would spear Nicholas into the flights of stairs, which also freed Kaya from his telekinetic hold. Unfortunately, like before, Lucas quickly found himself repelled off of Nicholas like an opposing magnet. This engagement showed just why psychic mutants are viewed as being so dangerous. Nicholas is an example of how a skilled mutant can use a simple thought to execute multitudes of actions at once.

As Nicholas pushed himself up from the broken staircase, he could see that the skies outside had darkened. Thunder ravaged the gloomy clouds as lightning broke through the windows and made way right towards him. Instinctively, Nicholas held up his arm to form a invisible barrier to block the lightning from making contact (Shield is similar but vastly weaker than Kaya’s). Although he was successful in doing so, the attack was only a faint by Beth. “Everyone, block your ears! Now, Thea!” She shouted loudly.

Having heard her cue, Thea revealed herself from hiding to face Nicholas. With a face of confidence, she released a loud sonic scream point blank at Nicholas. The resulting sonic wave sent the Britton into the living room table, shattering it in the process. The high pitched screech caused Nicholas to temporarily go deaf. On top of that, Nicholas was also left disorientated and vulnerable.

However, Nicholas may be down but he was nowhere near out. Not yet. The Britton quickly recovered as he pulled himself off of the broken table scraps. The halfhearted taunting side of him had dissipated as Nicholas realized that he needed to be more serious. The male was now fully focused on taking down the team.

Seeing the recovery, Thea and Beth attempted to stall Nicholas again. However, both found themselves paralyzed from the waist down the minute they stared into his eyes. It was a fatal mistake that too many had made in the past. Nicholas would leave the two disabled females alone for now as he had a more pressing target.

Turning to Lucas, Nicholas proceeded to put him into a hold of his own. Immobilized with nowhere to go, Lucas could only watch as a ball of flames ignited at the center of Nicholas’ palms. It was the size of a basketball but it had enough power to incinerate a human in seconds. “I should just kill all of you for being traitors to your own race.” Nicholas said resentfully.

Despite his situation, Lucas hadn’t gave in. Not only did he not respond to Nicholas’ comment but he’d also suppressed any signs of worry or anxiety. Instead, he looked towards Kaya just like all the others. Even in such a predictment, the team still wholeheartedly believes that Kaya would be able to save them. And she wouldn’t have to do it alone. Near the very corner of the room right across from Kaya, one could see Isaac awakening from his unconscious state. He quickly realized the severity of the situation and like the others, he turned to Kaya with a nod.

The events that followed Kaya's call for Lucas to attack all happened very quickly in a kind of blur of movement. Kaya had felt somewhat triumphant as Nicholas reacted to her waves of pain, but she had also noticed his smile as Lucas had approached. Before she had chance to warn her partner though, Nick was letting out a forcefield of energy that sent them shattering into the surrounding walls. Kaya felt the back of her head crunch into the flat surface, pain exploding there as she fell into a heap of rubble that had been made by her own body. No sooner had she landed though was the brunette gripped by a force pulling her forwards, her mind racing to work through the disorientation that was currently clouding her thoughts. Kaya had always known how powerful that Nicholas was, she had been there for a lot of the work that her parents and scientists like Marks conducted on him, after all. However, what she hadn't expected was how much he had utilised his knowledge of himself in the time that they had spent apart and this power was at a level none of them could have planned for. However, despite this realisation, as Nicholas drew her to eye level, Kaya's gaze did not falter and that same determination stayed settled at the forefront of her mind. She would not let him win this time. No matter the cost.

Ultimately, it was her teammates that Kaya was concerned for; whatever Nicholas did, she hoped that he did it to her, not them. She could deal with any physical pain he inflicted upon her, but she knew that she would never be able to handle the mental torture of losing somebody that she loved and being powerless to stop it from happening. She'd had enough of that kind of suffering to last her a lifetime. As he jeered at her though, Kaya was pulled back to his eyes, struggling to get out her own taunt in response to him, before their connection was interrupted by Lucas launching himself at Nicholas, who dropped Kaya to the ground. She quickly scrambled to get back onto her feet then, looking up to see Lucas flying through the air having been propelled by some kind of defence power inflicted upon him. Kaya briefly glanced at her partner with concern but didn't have time to react as she soon heard thunder rumbling over head as both Beth and Thea attempted a two-pronged attack of their own. Kaya clutched her hands to her ears to shield them from Thea's screech before the two were frozen again by Nicholas's power. It didn't take Kaya long to figure out what was going on, her catching that eye contact seemed to be a sticking point for his paralytic abilities. She had observed how he had been keen to meet her own gaze before Lucas had crashed into him and so she avoided making any kind of eye contact with Nicholas from that point forwards.

Things seemed to heat up in the following moments, as Nicholas conjured more of the fire that the group had seen earlier and instinctively, Kaya pushed out her shield to wrap around not just Lucas but all of her teammates, should their next barrage of attacks result in Nicholas's fire acting unpredictably. She also quickly moved herself between Nicholas and Lucas in an attempt to protect the latter, should Nicholas release the charged ball of energy. The brunette clocked movement from Isaac out of the corner of her eye in the next moment, as well as the way the rest of the team looked to her for guidance. She couldn't communicate with them verbally of course, but she did give Isaac a small nod in return, resulting in them both creating a kind of dual attack in a last ditch attempt to bring Nicholas down once and for all. In the background, Thea and Beth watched on as their teammates attempted to bring the battle to a close, every inch of them filled with a hope that this might be the moment that they had been waiting for all day.

As well as maintaining her shield around Lucas particularly, Kaya also created a box like forcefield around Nicholas to prevent him from moving out of her path. It was a move that Kaya had far from mastered and she could see the crackles in the walls that she was creating, but still she pushed on in an attempt to disarm her opponent. It looked started to look somewhat symbolic as Kaya created Nick's own personal prison from her own abilities, small psionic waves then beginning to trickle from the walls that she had built around him. For a second time they sought out Nicholas's thoughts, wrapping their way into his consciousness, targeting both his vision and his pain receptors simultaneously. Kaya closed her eyes then as she pushed on further with her power, creating an illusion of a pain similar to that you might experience if you were thrown into a pot of acid. Although she knew that Nicholas was especially talented at withstanding an immense amount of pain, especially when he knew it wasn't real, Kaya didn't let this thought affect her, instead pressing on with her plan and twisting the waves a little tighter, all with the intent to blind Nicholas and disorientate him completely. As she did so, Isaac created long, earthy tendrils that formed from the ground, reaching to wrap themselves around Nicholas's wrists, pulling him to his knees so that more vines could wrap around his ankles to hold him in place.

"You're the only traitor here," Kaya spoke quietly, opening her eyes which flashed with a hint of purple against any kind of attempt by Nicholas to infiltrate her with his telepathy. "And there will be no more killing today. Not by you, anyway."

As Kaya spoke to Nicholas, seemingly wishing to distract him, Isaac launched an offensive attack of Earth straight into Nicholas's chest in an attempt to weaken him further, repeating this several times before reinforcing Kaya's forcefield prison with strong walls of his own, created from the ground upwards. He then proceeded to wrap one of his vines around the collar that had previously been thrown to the corner of the room and pushed it towards Lucas who was quick to grab the contraption, nearing closer to Nicholas who was still being blinded by Kaya. He had to move quickly to lock it in around his neck but he knew that any sudden movement could shatter the illusion that Kaya was working so hard to create. Instead he approach steadily, clicking the device open and awaiting Kaya's final order. He glanced at the brunette, watching how intense her gaze was with concentration. He had never seen a display like it coming from Kaya; Lucas knew that she was powerful but currently she was exuding a trickle of energy that he thought put his own to shame. She looked almost ethereal as a soft lilac glow seemed to encase her form. Whatever she was doing seemed to be working though and Lucas could feel the mounting pressure on him to get his timing right. He continued to approach, a sudden desire to fling out his fist overcoming him the closer he became to their enemy. At the sight of Nicholas and Kaya stood in front of one another, and their continuous interchanges reverberating through his thoughts, Lucas could feel a sudden anger building within him. He had mostly been able to suppress this emotion, but with Nicholas now knelt in front of him in a seemingly weakened state, he couldn't help but feel as though he needed to act on his desire for his own sanity. He had been pummelled into the walls by this mutant too many times not to take the opportunity that was now held out in front of him. This despicable traitor had killed numerous innocent people and threatened to take away one of the only things that mattered to him. If he could bring just one of those people to justice with a single fling of his fist then he would. Plus, strength was Lucas's speciality and if he could use it to disorientate Nicholas further to aid the team's cause, he would take that chance without a second thought. In a split moment, Lucas drew back his fist before releasing it with a force that created an echo from the impact it made against Nicholas's cheek. Momentarily, this caused a distraction for Kaya who flinched at the sound. She blinked in surprise at Lucas's behaviour, but she didn't say anything for fear of breaking the current hold that she had managed to create. She watched as Lucas repeated the motion again, and then again a third time, reaching up a hand to signal him to stop after the fourth.

"I'm sorry, Nick," she whispered, as she motioned for her partner to attach the collar. "You gave me no other choice."

Last edited:
It was clear to the whole team that there next few acts would mean life or death. Beth and Thea could only watch helplessly as Nicholas prepared to attack Lucas. The heat from the flames could be felt throughout the entire room as it expanded more and more. Nicholas had paused briefly when he saw Kaya put herself between him and Lucas. After a second of subtle hesitation, the male released the flames from his palm. The impact sent vibrations throughout the shield as sparks flew up into the skies before dissipating. The fact that her shield remained proved that Kaya had indeed recovered well.

Seeing that his first attack had been blocked, Nicholas prepared to strike again. However, he would find himself encased in Kaya’s makeshift prison. Nicholas wasn’t going to allow himself to be contained in this lilac enclosure. He readied his flames again but before he could put them to use, he would find himself falling victim again to Kaya’s illusions.

The pain was even worse this time around as Nicholas felt his very body dissolve within a pit of acid. The burning of his flesh and body felt all to real to the male. The male would let out excruciating grunts of agony as Kaya’s illusion seeped into his mind like tendrils. The pain would only grow by the second as Kaya was given a window of time to concentrate on the illusion.

Nicholas’ powers and past experience with being tested had given him somewhat of a resistance to pain. However, that did not mean that he was immune to it, as seen in this particular scenario. Even admits the mind wrenching torment, the male remained unwavering in his intent to escape the lilac prison.

One could see Nicholas struggle to focus his powers. The illusions had also distorted his vision. And with his mind compromised, Nicholas was now fighting both blind and senseless. Any attempt by him to break out of his imprisonment were nullified by the onset of Isaac’s vines. The first to be targeted was Nicholas’ wrists as earthly vines pulled him on to his knees with his arms to his sides. This prevented Nicholas from properly aiming his attack against the violet barrier around him. The next part of his body that the vines immobilized was his ankles, which effectively bound him to the floor. This, combined with Kaya’s relentless illusions was able to forcefully neutralize Nicholas for the time being.

Eventually, Nicholas would find his vision returning. He looked up at Kaya as his eyes glowed with a shade of red visible only to his target. This was his last attempt to assert his will upon Kaya. But there was no use as Kaya had already taken the precautions to prevent him from invading her mind. Even with his senses somewhat restored, Nicholas could still feel the falsified agonizing pain course through his body.

“You’re making a mistake!” Nicholas exclaimed in frustration towards Kaya as attempted to lunge towards the female. His attempt to break free from his binds proved futile as he’s now just a man with dormant powers. In response to his attempt to attack their leader, Isaac would add more layers of vines on to Nicholas’ body, securing him further against the ground.

Being mindful that they may not be able to subdue him for long, Lucas wasted no time in rushing towards Nicholas. Lucas quickly inserted the collar over Nicholas’ neck. The collar would make a clicking sound followed by a small green glow indicating that it was active. Nicholas could feel his powers slowly becoming suppressed within himself. This had also allowed Thea, Beth, and the Marks to be released from their trances. The Marks family would immediately pass out from fear and stress, although Beth would quickly verify that they will be fine.

“I’m not going back there, Kay. You may as well kill me now.” Nicholas was saying this with wholehearted seriousness. He glared daggers his former flame as his expression twisted with malevolence. He’d promised himself that he would never allow a collar anywhere near him again. Not only did he fail to keep that promise to himself but he had also allowed himself to be taken down by Kaya her again. Which was another thing he’d promised to not let happen again. Given the circumstances, he would rather die than he sent back to a facility remotely as close as to Helix.

Meanwhile near the corner of the room, Thea would pick up the files that Nicholas had dropped amidst the chaotic fight. After glimpsing through it to make sure that it was the correct documents, Thea would bring it towards Kaya. In reality, she could’ve waited until they got back to HQ to hand it to Kaya. The reason that Thea did it now was because she wanted to rub it in Nicholas’ face.

To make things more safe, Lucas had also brought with him a pair of cuffs with similar properties to the collar. He would gesture for Isaac to release Nicholas’ wrists so that he could put them on him. For the first time ever, Lucas did not have to worry about being sent flying across the room.

“What should we do with him now, Kaya?” Asked Isaac.

Upon subduing their target, there was a tentative feeling of relief that washed through Group X as Lucas placed the collar onto Nicholas, a triumphant look of victory upon his features. He had been looking forward to this moment since laying eyes upon the dark haired male who had inadvertently caused a rift to form between him and the woman he cared about and there was a smugness about the way he placed the device around Nicholas's neck. For once, he was not the one being crushed by a wall of pain, the roles had reversed and Lucas felt good about that momentarily. The mood however, upon Kaya's face was a completely different story. Nicholas's words of exasperation had ignited a feeling of guilt within the brunette that she could suddenly feel pressing down upon her shoulders. She had been so focused on their goal that she hadn't really stopped to think about the consequences, and although she was mildly surprised that she had succeeded, she also found that she didn't know how to feel about that. Here they were again, with Nicholas imprisoned by her hands. She had condemned him to a life of pain and torture once, was she willing to do it again? As she glanced around at her teammates however, she realised that she didn't have much of a choice. If she were to let Nicholas go now, she would lose everything. Not to mention, she couldn't bear to think about the innocent people that would die as a result of her own selfish actions.

"You know I can't do that," she answered Nicholas's statement, matching his seriousness as her eyes shined with a sadness she hoped that he couldn't see. Kaya was all too aware of the emotion that was reflected out from his own eyes, the look of angry defeat there was reminiscent of the last time he had been captured as a result of her decisions. She had also seen that anger a few moments previously, when he had thrown the ball of flames at her shield. Had he known that her shield was back working at full capacity, or had he been willing to take the risk of incinerating her, she wondered? Had he even given it a second thought? Kaya could feel her expression hardening once more as she realised that he had been willing to end her life in favour of his own cause. This wasn't something that the brunette had ever really considered Nicholas of being capable of. As much as it pained her, if it came down to it she wasn't sure that she could do the same. But this idea in itself highlighted the disparity between the two and Kaya truly believed in that moment that she had made a mistake in thinking that there was anything left between them other than hatred. "Killing you would be far too easy," she glowered. "That might be your style, Nick, but it certainly isn't mine. Thea, can you grab the serum?" She turned away from him then, relinquishing some of the pain that she had inflicted upon his mind to the point of an angry migraine rather than the burning sensation she had chosen to subdue him with initially. Her forcefield still remained however, as did Isaac's vines, creating a strong hold that any ordinary mutant wouldn't be able to escape from, let alone one that had been powered down by a collar. She took the files that Thea had handed her, momentarily glancing over them before tucking them under her arm; they would be filed away somewhere deep in the records facility of the government as a result of this incident, never to be found again. In response to Isaac's question, Kaya simply answered with, "We need to get him back to HQ for questioning."

"Beth, how are the family?" She called out to her teammate then, who was still working with the three girls to ensure that they were set up to recover from the trauma of what had just happened to them. "They've been better," the light haired girl replied glumly as flashing lights started to glare brightly from outside. "The cops are here," Lucas announced, leaving the house then to meet them and provide them with a debrief of the events that had just surpassed. Although it was up to Group X to lead on mutant based missions, there was always some kind of human involvement in their work, whether it be part of the aftermath of the incident or support in simply securing an area. Kaya had always argued against this kind of intervention and had petitioned many times for the government to allow more mutants to join their team so that human involvement wasn't necessary, but she had always come up against frequent barriers that had stopped her fight before it had even begun. She had simply come to see the involvement of the police as a check up operation, so that the government could keep tabs on their work. As a result of this, Kaya often avoided dealing with the human teams herself and was more than happy to give the honours to Lucas who had befriended some of the regular officers that they encountered. In any case, their arrival at the scene now would allow the after care team to pick up from where Group X had left off so that they were free to get Nicholas back to their headquarters.

In the next moment, Thea had reentered the house with a silver cylinder in hand. "Do you want to do the honours?" She asked Kaya gently, pointing it towards her boss. Kaya simply nodded in response as she took the serum from Thea, the silver haired girl gently squeezing Kaya's shoulder before leaving her alone with Nicholas. The brunette moved her way towards him, avoiding looking at the collar that now sat around his neck and the cuffs that had been secured on his wrists. She hated how vulnerable it made him look and the flashbacks the image of Nicholas was giving her was making it hard to think straight. Just a little while longer, she tried to tell herself. Just keep it together for a few more moments, then you can make your escape. Gently, the brunette knelt down in front of him, cautious that one wrong move could end badly for her here if she wasn't careful. Although Nicholas was subdued, he was still incredibly powerful, and despite the softness that she was trying to show him, she knew that she couldn't let her guard down completely. She did however, find that she wanted him to know that she had no intention of treating him with the same disdain as her parents had. She may have been their daughter, but Kaya had learned a lot from watching the inhumane way that they had treated her kind and she had vowed never to resort to the same behaviour. "You know that I have to do this," she explained softly, reaching up cool fingers to tilt Nicholas's head to the side so she had better access to his neck, where she pressed the tube, injecting the serum in a couple of seconds before removing it again, to leave a small circular mark on his skin. Nicholas was no stranger to these kind of injections and it wasn't unusual for Group X to use them in an attempt to stop any enemies from learning the location of their headquarters on the journey back to the facility. On a less powerful mutant the serum would simply knock them unconscious, but Kaya did wonder if Nick had some kind of immunity to the effects and might simply become more disorientated rather than being knocked out completely. Either way, as Lucas reentered the house from negotiating with the police, Kaya got back onto her feet as she beckoned him over.

"The van's waiting outside, ready to take him in." The brunette nodded as two mutants she didn't know entered, taking Nicholas roughly by his arms just as Isaac relinquished the vines that had been previously holding him down, Kaya also retracting her forcefield simultaneously. She found that she couldn't take her eyes off Nicholas as she watched them drag him away, a shaky exhale escaping from her lips as she was left with her teammates, who suddenly surrounded her with a look of happiness on their faces. Unfortunately, she found that she couldn't mirror their expressions. "We did it," Beth smiled. "I mean I thought we'd failed for a moment back there, but Kaya that new forcefield move of yours is something else."
"Hey, Kay didn't do it all on her own you know," Isaac quipped with a cheeky wink, Thea once again pushing his shoulder with a look that quite clearly told him to shut up. The three went on bickering amongst themselves as the group moved back to the cars, them naturally piling into one car, Lucas joining Kaya in the other.

The majority of the drive back to their office was quiet, until Lucas broke it, his voice solemn and very unlike the Lucas that his group knew and loved. Kaya felt a pang of guilt as she listened to him, fighting back a bout of self-loathing that threatened to overcome her. "Are you going to question him?" Lucas asked, glancing away from the road for a second as he spoke.
"Yes," Kaya answered in voice that was just above a whisper.
"Do you not think someone else should? Someone who's less... involved?"
"Jesus, Luke, I am not involved with Nicholas."
"Oh yeah? Well you could have fooled me Kaya." The brunette fell into a silence then, letting the hostility fizzle between them. She knew that Lucas was still angry at her for what she had said to him earlier, but she had warned him that a relationship between them just wasn't possible and it could never be. She didn't know what else to say to him to make it better.
"Lucas, I told you... We can't... This thing between us. I really enjoy your company. You make me happy. But I can't give you what you want and if that's a problem then we... Well, we shouldn't carry on with the arrangement." Lucas flexed his jaw as he considered her words. There was no use arguing with her, he knew that already, but he so desperately wanted to shake her out of whatever stupid ideas she had about their relationship, to the point that he felt he couldn't say a word to her without saying something he knew that he'd regret. Eventually he pulled the car back into the car park and killed the engine, pinching the bridge of his nose to ease the headache that was gripping his thoughts. "You know I don't want that Kay," he said gently. "But right now I just... I need some space. I'll see you in the interrogation room." Kaya watched as Lucas left her alone, considering his request before making her way inside herself.

It didn't take long for the team to unload Nicholas into one of the cells in their facility. The small square space was made up of specially made, mutant proof glass that allowed Group X to observe the behaviour of their prisoner at all times, without the fear that they could break free at any moment. There was what could only be described as a kind of viewing area, just outside of the cell with an adjoining interrogation room that was used both to observe routine questioning and any other interactions with a prisoner. Anyone who was in either the cell or the viewing area was unable to see through the blacked out glass to spot who might be observing them. Currently, it was Lucas was who stood behind the glass, out of sight of Nicholas, and it was Kaya who was making her way into the viewing area. She felt on edge about the idea of Lucas observing her and Nicholas's conversation, but she knew to ask for privacy would raise more questions about her intentions, and she didn't need that right now, not after the events that had already taken place today. So, glancing up the glass that Kaya knew Lucas was stood behind briefly, she inhaled deeply before taking a few tentative steps towards the glass cell, waiting silently for the effects of the serum to wear off to she could begin to find out more about Nicholas Britton, as if she didn't know him well enough already.

Last edited:
There was a brief moment in which Nicholas had met Lucas’ stare. The latter did not try all that hard to hide the smirky glee that came from his victory. Lucas’ taunting looks made Nicholas want to crush his windpipe then and there. But for the first time in years, he felt powerless again. His hand balled into fists as he rested near his lap. The vines had grown tighter over his body, limiting his movement like the chains that he remembered from his past.

Nicholas was more enraged at his own incompetence than anything. He felt great aggravation over allowing himself to be once again thrusted into such a helpless state. But most of all, he was angry that he hadn’t finished off Kaya and her teammates when he had the chance. Even now, he doesn’t understand what had came over him at that moment. The doubt in his mind and the modest use of his powerS wasn’t like him in the slightest. He could’ve killed the first two easily from the very beginning but had chosen to toy with them instead. Some would say that it’s sadistic, others may see it as a sign of mercy. After all, they are all mutants like him.

Nicholas knew immediately as to what the serum entailed. His gaze followed the cylinder as it came into view and all the way until it reached Kaya’s hands. As Kaya knelt down in front of him, Nicholas would not speak a word. His eyes alone were enough to convey his thoughts as he stared down the female. He knew what was coming and that it was inevitable. Yet, he wanted to see with his very own eyes whether or not Kaya had what it took. She knew about Nicholas’ long history with the serum and its role in his traumatic past. But as she said, there was no choice.

Nicholas barely felt any discomfort as the syringe penetrated his skin. During his time at Helix, the scientists had to continuously increase the dosage due to his body gradually adapting to the serum’s effects. However, it’s been 6 years since anything close to it had entered his bloodstream. Since then, the government had also developed and enhanced the serum to be more effective. Besides, Lucas had saw it necessary to pick out the most potent serum in their arsenal.

Before long, Nicholas could feel himself gradually losing control over his body as the serum quickly takes over. The migraine in his head slowly dissipated along with any other senses. The world was becoming grey and cloudy as he felt himself reaching the brink of unconsciousness. Even so, the male did not look away from Kaya. He wanted her to see him, to see what she’s doing to him. He looked at her up to the very last second before collapsing from the sedative.

In accordance to Kaya’s orders, Nicholas’ limp body was then dragged out of the shattered home and into one of their the vehicle. Beth had followed the pair of mutants out as they delivered Nicholas to the van. She was surprised to see just how many vehicles had arrived after them. There were perhaps six other cars excluding the one containing Nicholas. Several operatives were guarding the vicinity of the vehicles like how the secret service guards the president.

“Woah, did you guys see how many people were out there?” Beth said to the group as she entered back into the room. She gestured out to the window, which reveals a brief visual of the many vans outside.

“Yea, HQ wanted to make sure nothing happens to him on the way back.” Lucas replied. The HQ had informed him of the multitudes of cars coming so he wasn’t as surprised. Even so, this was the first time that they’d sent so many cars for one mutant. They’d sent similar amounts in the past but never to such an extreme degree. Lucas wondered if Nicholas also have a history with the government. Maybe they were simply improving on their past mistakes.

Isaac and Beth made sure to follow close behind the squad of cars for extra security. By the time that Nicholas’ entourage had arrived at the facility, the day had become late. The sun had set and the darkness was re-asserting its dominance back into the world. Several operatives would haul the still unconscious male into one of the secured cells with cuffs and collar still left on his body. Although the serum packed enough juice to knock a man out for hours, it would’ve only subdue Nicholas close to one.

There was a blur in his vision as Nicholas eventually came to his senses. He found himself contained within a box eerily similar to his old cell. Whether it be the one way glass, the restraints on his body, or the many eyes that’s undoubtably on him, all of it was reminiscent of his days at Helix. Nicholas’ eyes stared to the camera in the corner. A microphone was attached below it for those outside to voice themselves clearly.

As his senses gradually returned, Nicholas felt a new additional set of weights on his body. His leg has also been locked with a set of chains that secured him to the wall behind his bed. This was another layer of precaution enacted by Lucas, although he had never mentioned it to Kaya. Once again, Nicholas felt like an animal at a lab as his movements and actions were limited and monitored. With nowhere to go, the male looked forward through the plexiglass like cell. He could not see who or what was outside but he knew most certainly that Kaya was watching.

“I know you’re watching, Kay.” He announced loudly as he clasped his hands together. Almost as if he knew, Nicholas’ eyes stared at the exact area of the glass in which Kaya stood behind. This was also reminiscent of when Kaya met Nicholas for the very first time. It was when her parents had taken her to view one of their tests in person. Nicholas was situated in a cell much like this one, his eyes filled with despair much like now. And similarly, he stared up from the ground as his gaze landed right on the young Kaya. Even though he couldn’t see her, it was like he still knew where she was.

Although the others also wanted to listen in on the interrogation, Lucas had convinced them to go rest. Isaac especially as he lacked the healing powers of Lucas. The impact he’d sustained had been severe, leaving him with a concussion. Even so, Isaac had refused to go home and remained at HQ with Thea and Beth. The three of them waited patiently to see what their leader can procure from the mutant. What they’re interested most is the “Why” of it all.

Lucas crossed his arms as he carefully watched from a reasonable distance. He did not trust Nicholas to remain idle and cooperate. He was ready to jump at a moment’s notice in case the mutant tries something. Even now, Lucas still wondered: Just who is this man and why does he hold such a seemingly irreplaceable spot in her heart? Despite Kaya’s claims, Lucas knew that the two of them had some sort of past. They simply had to. Maybe he’ll find out what that past here now.

“I know you’re watching, Kay.”

Kaya inhaled sharply as she heard Nicholas's chilling voice crackle through the speaker that was in the interrogation room. She had been watching him intently behind the glass as the effects of the serum had slowly worn off. The image of Nicholas in the cell had brought an onslaught of memories flooding back to her and she felt strangely emotional as pictures of her parents whisked through her mind like ghosts, the sound of laughter between herself and Nicholas ringing in her ears as it once had done long ago. When he had burned down Helix six years ago, she had never thought that they would end up in a situation like this again. Kaya had thought that she would never see him again; it was like he had disappeared off the face of the Earth for a time. She had sought him out for a while, despite the instructions from the government to pretend as though he didn't exist. She had wanted answers, no, actually she had wanted more than that, she had wanted vengeance for her parents' deaths. But as time had past and her will had grown weaker, Kaya had come to reason with why Nicholas had killed her family so brutally. She could never forgive him for that night but she had begun to understand his motives, even if she could never agree with them.

Seeing Nicholas now, chained to the wall with a look of utter despair reflected in his eyes, Kaya was filled with nothing but guilt. She had agreed to take her position as the leader of Group X to end the inhumane treatment of mutants at the hands of the government, yet here she was, with a mutant not so dissimilar to herself, chained to the wall like an animal. She shifted with discomfort as it occurred to her that maybe she was really no better than her parents. Nicholas had been right all along, as had they. She had always wanted to pave the way for change in the mutant world but maybe she really would always be just another Reid, in a long line of Reids. That thought alone made her want to run as far away from this place as she could get. But of course Kaya could no more do that than walk into the cell and free Nicholas from his prison herself.

As she stood then, seemingly glued to the spot, she felt a sudden presence by her side as Lucas pressed his hand into her lower back. "Do you want me to speak to him?" He asked her seriously, Kaya unable to turn her face towards him for fear that the tears stinging in her eyes would find their way onto her cheeks. Shakily, she shook her head in response to him, inhaling around the sharpness in her throat. "No. No, it's okay. I'm going in there."
"Wait, what? You can't be serious?"
"Not in the cell, just the viewing area."
"You are not going in there Kaya, it's too dangerous."
"I don't care." The brunette moved towards the door.
"Kay--"
"No, Lucas, he's not an animal. He's a person, just like you and just like me. If we're going to speak to him then it should in the same manner that we'd speak to anyone else. I'm not going to hide behind a wall to do it."
"Kaya, he isn't like anyone else. He's a murderer." Kaya didn't have an answer for that one, but Lucas could tell that her mind was made up and he knew better than most, just how stubborn she could be. "If he so much as looks at you funny, I'm coming in."

Kaya breathed a sigh of relief then, nodding a small thank you at Lucas before letting herself into the viewing area. Gently, she clicked the door shut behind her as she came into full view of Nicholas. Before she stepped out of the shadows, she took a moment to compose herself with a few steady breaths, then stepping into the harsh brightness of the fluorescent lights above her. There was still a large glass wall between the two, but Kaya walked towards it, eventually coming to a stop just before the glass and then slowly lowering herself to the floor. She crossed her legs in front of her and then just sat for a while, watching Nicholas intently as the collar around his neck and the cuffs on his wrists seemed to transform him back into the young boy she had once known, the young boy who had once thought of her as kind, loving and special. It was a far cry away from how he thought of her now, she had made sure of that.

"I've been watching you for a while, actually," she said quietly after a moment, bringing her gaze up from the floor to meet his. "I'm sorry about the chains. I haven't seen those before." Kaya's tone was gentle, a stark contrast to the hostility that was rolling from Nicholas. But was Kaya being genuine, or was this all part of an act to get him to speak? She wasn't even sure of the answer to that herself yet.

"So, you found the list of names," she continued again after a short pause, phrasing her sentence as a statement rather than a question. "What's the plan when you've worked down the list? You already burnt Helix to the ground. Won't your act of vengeance become a little pointless when everyone who was involved with the place has been wiped off the face of the Earth?" Kaya's head fell to one side as she asked this question; this was a trait of hers that she did without thinking when something had piqued her curiosity. "Oh but wait. I was involved with Helix too wasn't I, so... if you really are planning to murder everyone that was involved then shouldn't I be on your list too? I was the one who imprisoned you when you had a chance to get away after all. And now I've done it again. Maybe I should be your next target?"

Lucas bristled behind the glass screen, his arms folded tightly across his chest. Kaya was involved with Helix?

"Do you want to kill me too, Nick? Like you did my mother and father? Maybe you could do it in the same way as well, that would be kind of symbolic, don't you think? It would be a blessing in disguise for both of us if you went through with it, to be honest."

Last edited:
Nicholas simply scoffed at Kaya’s attempt at portraying herself as the “good cop”. After everything that has happened, Nicholas found himself doubting every one of Kaya’s words. In his mind, there is no longer any sentimental sympathy within her heart. She sees him now as an monster, one who’d murdered her parents. As for Nicholas, he sees her only as a traitor to their kind.

“I see that you’ve come a long way from betraying me to betraying your whole race.” Nicholas said as he glared at his reflection. He then proceeded to sit up straight as to not display any conceding posture. It was humiliating for him to be placed in such a situation. The true disgrace comes from the fact that it was Kaya who’d done so, again.

Anger gathered within Nicholas as Kaya gloated over having imprisoned him once more. The male’s hands balled into fists as his eyes let off a brief crimson glow. This was something that hadn’t occurred since his days at Helix. As Nicholas had not fully mastered his powers yet, his eyes would typically let out a glow of red whenever his emotions become too rampant. This was also a warning that his powers were at a volatile state and all personnel should avoid any direct contact with him.

It was not only an indicator for his captors but also for Kaya, despite the warnings, would do the exact opposite. Rather than run and avoid him, Kaya would always try her best to calm him down. As the male slowly become more proficient in controlling his powers, such defects went away. It wasn’t until today that it displayed itself once more.

“You’re right. I should’ve left you in that building with the rest. I don’t know what I was thinking when I saved you.” Nicholas said with contempt as his face twisted with disdain. In spite of his scornful comments, part of Nicholas still understand as to why he’d saved Kaya that day. The female had every intention to die alongside her family but Nicholas simply could not let that happen. He still remembered her face, the tears, the sorrowful screams, and the pleading. No matter how cold hearted and vengeful he felt, the male couldn’t bring himself to let her die. Perhaps it was out of pity or guilt, or maybe, just maybe, he still carried feelings for her deep within.

“They all deserved what they got. You call me a monster but your family have ruined more lives than I ever could. Do you know how much blood was on your parents’ hands? Do you?!” Nicholas proceeded to let out a self belittling laugh towards his own question. “What am I saying? You’re their daughter, of course you knew. You just didn’t care because you’re just like them.” It was as Kaya had said herself, she’s their daughter and she always will be. Her parents may have perished but they’d left behind a shadow of themselves in the form of their daughter.

Just by standing before him, Kaya was proving Nicholas correct. She had reconstructed her parents’ work by repeating everything that they have done. From capturing mutants and turning them into the government to imprisoning Nicholas, no matter how you look at it, there’s practically no difference to the past crimes of the Reid family. Just by being part of Group X, Kaya was continuing her family’s dark legacy by allowing for the repetition of history.

“So what will you do now, Kay? Are you going to stick some more needles into me? Test my brain waves? Take some blood samples? Or are you going to please that boyfriend of yours and just put a bullet through my head? I know he’s nearby watching our little exchange.” There was no doubt as to who Nicholas was referring to. Nicholas didn't need his powers to guess how Lucas felt about him. Having been inside so many minds, Nicholas have grown to understand the human nature quite well. He knew just how Lucas feels about him and what he’s thinking. “But he’s right, Kay. You should kill me because when I get out, I will find every single person on that list and I will make them pay.”

A sudden sense of realization washed over Lucas as he listened to the conversation between the two. It was as if the long scattered pieces were finally coming together. If Kaya’s parents were once part of Helix, that would explain why her and Nicholas knew one another. However, this discovery also uncovered more questions. Lucas’ mind was suddenly filled with anger as he realized what Kaya had been hiding from him this entire time. How could she do such a thing after everything they’d been through? Lucas had tried to ask about her past many times but Kaya would always change the subject or avoid the question altogether. Now, Lucas knew why.

“So he was the one that burned down Helix?” Lucas murmured to himself. This also a new discovery for him but apparently not for Kaya. The male had always questioned the government’s claims that the institute had perished as a result of an accident. Especially given his knowledge of their mutant testing. Hearing that Nicholas was responsible only verified his speculations.

Lucas’ vexation only grew more as he realized that Nicholas was the man responsible for all of the pain that Kaya had went through. It took everything within him to not go into that cell and beat the living crap out of him. Lucas was also left confused as to how Kaya can remain so calm in front of the man who’d killed her parents. Although the subject of her parents’ death was never something that Kaya likes to talk about, Lucas knew how detrimental it was to her.

Although Kaya had gone into the interrogation with every intention to remain calm, there was no doubt that Nicholas’s words ignited a fire within her that she couldn’t even begin to control, even if she had tried. Whatever sentimentality she had started to feel towards their situation, that had been triggered by the sight of Nicholas in his cell, melted away as his sentences hit her like a barrage of knives. In part, Kaya had expected such disdain towards her, it was her fault that he was here after all, but despite bracing herself for his reaction, she couldn’t shut herself off to the venom behind what he was saying to her. Even after all of these years, a small part of Kaya, the part that had never really grown up, still sought Nicholas’s approval. But now she found that she was so far away from that, that all that left her with was a bitterness and burning hatred, both aimed at herself and aimed at him. He might blame her for how he was but in return she blamed him for all of the pain and suffering that she held in her own heart. They brought out the worst in each other and today was no different.

“Betraying you was easy,” Kaya retorted, her previously soft voice laced with contempt, revealing that Nicholas has indeed got under her skin with his words. She had been determined to remain neutral for the interrogation but much like him she found that she couldn’t. He knew which buttons to press as much as she did. She had been naive to think that he wouldn’t. “You’re a monster. If betraying you means saving the lives of children then I’d do it again in a heartbeat.” Although as Kaya had cast her mind back to that day she had turned him into her parents, she had no doubt that if she could turn back time she would never have been the one to imprison him again. She would have swallowed her own selfishness and allowed him the freedom that he had told her, over and over again that he so desperately needed. Kaya tried not to wince at the memory; whichever way that she thought about Nicholas, he had always wanted something more than her. She truly believed that he had never returned her feelings, and that there was always something better, something he wanted more. She simply wasn’t good enough for him and she never had been, she’d just confirmed that to both him and herself when she had desperately tried to get him to stay. She hadn’t thought about the consequences of her actions because she had been so overwhelmed by the very real fear of losing the one thing that had ever mattered to her. It was this thought that added to Kaya’s sudden hostility as she pulled herself to her feet, finding that she was struggling to grab a hold of her emotions much like Nicholas was. She had noticed the red tinge to his eyes, she recognised it back from the days when she would be the one to stop it, not to cause it. But right now she didn’t have it in her to talk him down, she found that she didn’t want to. She wanted to hurt him as much as he was hurting her.

Nicholas’s next words about the fire however, seemed to freeze Kaya to the spot, spearing her heart like ice. She was glad he couldn’t see her expression in that moment because she was sure that he would have revelled in the damage that his words were doing. Kaya herself wished often that he had not saved her that day, it would have made her life so much simpler. But hearing him say as much supported her own self-hatred in a way that she never thought Nicholas would. How wrong she had been. “Then why didn’t you?” She snapped back at him. “If I’m truly the monster that you say I am, why didn’t you let me burn? You even had a chance today to end it all but you didn’t take it. Why Nicholas? Are you weak, is that it? Surely not? The great Nicholas Britton, a coward?”

There was a darkness flashing in Kaya’s eyes as she attempted to affect him just as much as he was her. Her emotions were starting to get the better of her and she was losing control. Back in the room behind the glass wall, Lucas could see the visible change in Kaya, and found himself to be edging closer to the door by the second. Despite how angry he was at her for the secrets she had been keeping from him, from all of them, seeing her in so much visible pain was making him feel uncomfortable. He could remove her from the situation and stop that monster from toying with her head. Little did both Lucas and Kaya know though, was that he was also toying with her heart. Or maybe the brunette did know it and she was simply trying to ignore it.

“You’re wrong. You’re so consumed by hatred and bitterness that you can’t see the good that we’re trying to work for. It’s creatures like you that are stopping us from making the world a better place. You have blood on your hands too Nick, you’re no better than me.” There was no denying that his words had affected Kaya as she desperately tried to hold it together long enough to glean the information from him that they needed. Although their conversation seemed to have surpassed the point that it no longer held any personal gain, as their words seemed to become more and more venomous with intent to cause damage rather than for Kaya to fulfil her role as a leader who could profile a criminal.

She considered the questions that he had put to her in regards to what she was going to do next. There was no doubt in Kaya's mind that her parents had been part of something that she could never condone. They had, with every part of their beings tried to condition her into their way of thinking, that mutants were lesser beings than humans and they deserved the pain that was being inflicted upon them. But it was Kaya's transformation that had unrooted these seeds that they had spent so long sowing; their very own daughter held the very powers that they had encouraged her to detest. It was no wonder really, that Kaya held herself in such low regard, and now the one person she had believed thought of her differently did too. He'd said as much himself. "By asking those questions, it just goes to show how little you know about what's really going on here," Kaya spoke blankly, her anger and irritation having drained away to leave her with a shell of what she had been previously. Her statement was meant in relation to his questions regarding what Kaya would do to him next but if she thought about it, her answer also applied to Nick's mention of Lucas. He assumed that he was her boyfriend, which showed how little he really knew about her. She didn't rush to correct him though, what business was that of his anyway?

Kaya had become perfectly skilled at blocking out emotions that harmed her, and letting in the numbness that acted as her protection, and it was this skill that she turned to now as she continued. "There is no when about your statement. You will not get out of here Nick. I'll keep you locked up in here for as long as I can, even if it kills me. I know that your little killing spree won't end at Helix. There's too much hatred in you to stop there. What was your plan after that? Move onto another facility, world domination?" It was the brunette that scoffed this time at the ideas she was putting forwards. "Luke might have the right idea about killing you, but I know that that would be too easy. Too merciful. You don't deserve mercy."

Behind the glass, Lucas could feel something of a grimace twist onto his features as he heard Kaya's voice change tone to a blankness he recognised as her shutting down mechanism. She used that tone with him often, he had come to realise, usually when she was at risk of hurting. Whatever Nicholas was saying to her, was clearly causing her an immeasurable amount of pain and she was trying her best not to show it. But he knew her better than that, and this was a small victory that he took from this whole, horrible situation. In that moment, he felt that he knew Kaya better than Nicholas. Surely if Nicholas realised what he was doing to her, he wouldn't continue? Or was he just that much of a monster? Lucas already believed he knew the answer to that.

When he had heard enough of their interchange, and decided that no more could be gained from Kaya's attempt to find out more, Lucas let himself into the viewing area silently. If he had to, he would drag her away from the glass, even if she didn't want him to; it would be for her own good, after all. Besides, he had questions to ask her himself; her past ran deeper than he had ever thought possible and he was concerned for her wellbeing as they seemed to be delving closer and closer to memories that he knew Kaya was in no position to think about.

The venom of Kaya’s words were magnified by the fight that Nicholas could not see her. This was the near equivalent of when she’d betrayed him to her parents. Even then, he never saw her face until the very end. Nicholas had said his goodbyes to her prior, believing that he had her upmost of support in his plan. She was the only thing that he would’ve missed had he successfully escaped from them hellish prison. It was a mistake trusting her. He should’ve never had told her his intentions and simply execute his scheme without her knowledge. Had he done that, he would’ve escaped.

Nicholas remembered the utter sense of dread that came upon him when the Reids revealed that it was Kaya who’d informed them of his plans. At first, Nicholas had refused to believe them. He still held on to the thought his relationship with Kaya was genuine. He wanted to believe that she did care for him but the sad truth was that she didn’t

Kaya was right in believing that Nicholas blamed her for everything. In his heart, everything that the two had ever been them was only a facade. Every smile, every laugh, every display of kindness from Kaya was all a lie. She had been sent by her parents to make Nicholas vulnerable. She was able to earn his trust and use that to hurt him in every way imaginable. Even with all the torment that her parents had subjected him to, Nicholas’ will remained unfazed through all those ends. But it only took Kaya one act to ultimately him mentally.

Such pain had eventually developed into loathe as shown in Nicholas’ attempt to actively attack Kaya through his words. He knew what to say and how to say it in order to ensure maximum damage. She showed him no mercy so why should he? The two was bringing out the worse in one another. If only they could talk once without being blinded by anger and vindication.

Nicholas almost wanted to laugh at Kaya’s comment about doing good. How could any good come out of any of this? They’re practically being treated as slaves used by the government to undermine their own kind. Did they truly believe that what they’re doing is for the good of the people? There’s no possibility that they’re that dense. Kaya, out of everyone, should know as to what lies behind the walls of those institutes. So how could she believe that anything remote to pure could come out from what they’re doing?

Although Nicholas refused to show it, Kaya’s comments had also struck him like daggers laced with venom. His silence was a gesture of his attempt to suppress any hint of sadness or frustration that her comments may have caused. Her last few comments especially struck a nerve in Nicholas. Kaya intends to imprison him forever. Isn’t that what her goal had been so many years ago? Nicholas had told her of his desire and wish to see the outside world again. And instead of supporting him like he’d thought she would, she deceived him to her parents. It would be a lie to say that Nicholas had never wished for death. He’d thought of such release nearly every day when he was in Helix. He’d hoped every second that something would go wrong during the experiments or tests. To him, death was the same as becoming freed.

Although it may not seem like it, Lucas’ interference was for the best of all the parties involved. The meeting had long devolved around from an interrogation and had simply turned into an exchange of grievances and fury. Lucas was right to had stopped it. Perhaps he should’ve done so even earlier, before Nicholas’ words were able to infiltrate the mind of his partner.

Lucas would let himself into the viewing area and press the black button near Kaya to turn off the mic connecting to Nicholas’ cell. It was as if Nicholas had picked up on this as he fell silent at around the same time. But in reality, he was simply deep in thought. Kaya’s words had lifted up the floodgate that contained all of Nicholas’ past. Through words alone, she was able to cause a flash flood of emotions that left the male in a state of indignant sorrow.

“That’s enough, Kaya.” Lucas said as he placed his body in front of the control station in an effort to prevent Kaya from reactivating the mic. “We need to talk, now.” The male’s tone and stern expression showed that he had no intentions of taking a no for an answer. And reasonably so given the degree of secrets that had just been spilled in that few minutes of exchange alone. She’d promised him that emotion would not get in the way of interrogation. It was required that the team remained impartial in all of their dealings. Kaya was always a role model of this as she was able to masterfully separate her emotions from work. But today, through a few words alone from that man, Kaya had thrown all that commitment and training out the window.

Lucas would lead Kaya out of the viewing platform and into the hallway of the cellblock. He did not want her to be in the vicinity of that man as he feared that it would only make what he’s about to ask even more difficult to answer. “How could you keep something like that from me, Kay? Yiu don’t have to feel the same way about me as I do you but we’re still partners no matter what. You would think that as partners, you would trust me enough to not keep a secret as big as this.” There was bitterness in Lucas’ voice and tone. In a way, he felt betrayed by Kaya for having been kept in the dark for so long. They may not be a couple but Lucas had believed that they had something special. Whatever that may be, he’d thought that it would’ve been enough for Kaya to had opened up to open up something like this.

“What else are you not telling me, huh? Is there anything else about this man that I should know about?“ Crossing his arms before him, the male stared down at Kaya. It was rare for Lucas to lose his cool to this degree. He’d always been more of a mellow and passive individual, even in the face of fire and stressful situation. It would seem that this case brings out the bad in everyone.

“I should’ve never had let you in there. You are too close to this case.” Aside from the fact that he’s a terrorist of course. As far as Lucas is concerned, Nicholas is a sociopathic terrorist who’s better off locked away for eternity than being released. As much as Lucas wanted to keep Nicholas imprisoned here at the facility, his closeness to Kaya would only cause more trouble in the future. There’s only one thing to do in a situation like this.

“I think we should reach out to higher ups and have them take care of this.” The standard protocol when dealing with threats of Nicholas’ magnitude is to immediately report to higher command so that they could decide on what to do. It’s like the police reporting to the FBI when it comes to a big criminal case. The usual result is that the higher ups would send people down to retrieve the mutants and bring them to an undisclosed location. It’s hard to find out as to what happens to those mutants after as those taken are never heard from again. It is also profited for Group X ever ask about their statuses henceforth.

As the space between her and Nicholas seemed to grow silent, Kaya could feel her breaths coming a little more rapidly, the sound filling the air as she braced herself for another barrage of stinging accusations. But to her surprise they never came. She spent the next few moments studying Nicholas, her cheeks flushed with the emotions that had past between them. Kaya was surprised that he didn’t fight back and she found that she was struggling to read his expression as she seemingly over concentrated on the image in front of her. It was unusual for Kaya to have the last word and rather than feeling in any way triumphant, she felt completely lost in a sea of feelings that were pulling her into a darkness she was all too familiar with. It was only Lucas’s movement that interrupted her downward spiral, as he turned the mic off and demanded that she stop the interrogation. For a moment, the brunette could only stare at him, wide eyed and unwavering as she tried to make sense of what Lucas was trying to do. When she finally managed to meet his gaze she allowed him to lead her away, a little like a parent might a child who had been caught doing something wrong. As they came to an abrupt stop in the hallway, although she had been frozen momentarily by the rawness of her own emotions, Kaya expression turned to one of irritation as she turned her eyes upon the man stood in front of her. “What are you doing?” She asked, her voice laced with annoyance. “This is not about us, Lucas! Couldn’t you see that I was getting somewhere in there? You’ve just undone all of the work I just put in to getting him to speak.” Kaya shifted her stance a little awkwardly then as she tucked a few flyaway strands of hair behind her ears. There was no mistaking that she had lost control only moments after stepping in to confront Nicholas, she knew that and so did Lucas. But in a momentary panic, Kaya was trying to convince herself that her sudden display of emotion had all been part of her plan, her plan to get Nick to talk and nothing more. But then she had never been very good at masking the truth and in part she knew that Lucas knew her better than that.

With a small sigh, Kaya tried not to see Lucas's actions as undermining, but rather the result of his concern for her. It was easy for her to lash out in her current state, but somewhere in head mind she was trying to remind herself that it wasn't far to embroil Lucas in the whole sorry mess she had created of her life. As she looked at him now, she realised that just a moment ago she had been too angry at him to notice the difference in the way that he held himself, how his jaw was set in a firm line of stubbornness and how his eyes reflected an anger that she had never seen in him before. The brunette’s thoughts flickered back to the segments of information that she had revealed about her’s and Nick’s pasts and with matching that to Lucas’s current expression she couldn’t help but feel both a pang of guilt and a pang of terror strike through her. Kaya had never been an open book; letting people in had never been an option because talking about what had happened at Helix would only make the events all too real. Yet here they were with Lucas questioning the very things she had worked so hard to keep from him, from all of her team.

“I... I’m sorry,” she spoke quietly after a moment struggling to find the right words to say. There was no excuse for her keeping the information from Lucas, she simply hadn't wanted to tell him, but she knew if she said that it would cause her partner an immeasurable amount of hurt and if she could avoid that then she would. Kaya had never wanted to find herself in this position. She would trust Lucas with her life but not with the secrets of her past. There wasn’t anybody alive she would trust with those, except for one, and even then Kaya had never been brave enough to tell Nicholas the whole truth about what had happened the day he’d killed her parents. “Look Lucas I... The things that I spoke about in there are part of a past that I-I just can’t speak about. Things happened to me that I just, I can’t...” The brunette’s voice trailed off as she tried to explain, clearly the effort of reliving some of those past events was beginning to take its toll. Kaya could see the disappointed looks on her parents faces as they had watched her fail at being the leader they had always trained her to be. She could see that disappointment reflected in Lucas’s eyes and it was starting to tear her up inside. She couldn’t stand it; she didn’t want to lose Lucas, he was one of the only things that brought her even just a little bit of happiness, even though she couldn’t bring herself to tell him that. “N-No there’s nothing else. I’m sorry that I kept it from you, it was never my intention to hurt you. It’s not that I don’t trust you either it’s just that it... it hurts.” Kaya’s voice was hardly above a whisper now as her gaze fell to the floor to hide the shine of tears that sparkled there. She hadn’t cried since the day she had lost her parents yet here she was, on the edge of losing it and not for the first time today. However it was Lucas’s next statement that changed the sudden vulnerability in Kaya to something tougher, the walls around her heart being visibly rebuilt in front of them both. She knew that she had hurt Lucas, that much was obvious from the current look on his face, the way he had changed from his usual laidback self to a more agitated version who had long since waved goodbye to the features that Kaya had been attracted to in the first place. His words now presented Kaya with nothing but the opportunity to jump to defence mode as he past comment on both her work ethic and her capabilities. She hadn’t expected this from him and she wondered just how deep his feelings ran for him to be presenting her with the option of potentially giving up a case. If there was one thing that Kaya took the most pride in it was her ability to lead their team and now that Lucas was suggesting she was unable to do that, she could feel whatever this was between them floating a little further away from her grasp. Maybe he was right, maybe she wasn't capable of leading them in this case, but she'd be damned before she was about to give up trying.

“What are you trying to say, Luke?” She breathed after a moment, instinctively taking a step towards him. “That I can’t handle it? This is my job, I would never compromise what we do here. I have never let you down before and I’m not about to start now. I can do this. Please. I know I have no right to ask you to trust me but you can. You can.” She reached up a hand then to cup his cheek to ensure that he was looking at her as she spoke. Kaya knew that she had come very close to losing control but she had worked too hard to get this far and have it ripped away from her because of the mess that Nicholas had caused by crashing back into her life unexpectedly. His words earlier had solidified in her a true understanding that whatever they had had, if they had ever had anything between them, was now dead. The only thing that they really shared anymore was history, nothing more. She had to focus on what she had left now, on the present, and the biggest part of that was her job. If she didn’t have that, she didn’t have anything; her role in improving the government's relationships with mutants had become one of, if not the soul purpose in her life since the fire that had destroyed Helix. She had vowed to continue the good of her parents’ work in a better way than they had themselves and suddenly that was at risk of being pulled away from her. Kaya was at risk of losing all of the solid foundations she had tried to put in place to rebuild her life and it was none other than Lucas who was currently stood next to them ready to finish them off. What Kaya was too naive to consider though is that it was none other than Nicholas who was really the catalyst, but it was much too easy to blame someone other than him.

Dropping her hand away from Lucas then, Kaya exhaled, seemingly exhausted from the events of the day. “No, we are not getting them involved. We haven’t finished here. Luke, look at me. We’re trained to deal with criminals like Nicholas, we’ve done it before and we can do it again. I won’t let my past get in the way of this. I need to see this through and I can’t do that if you bring in a higher command. This stays with us.” There was a determination in Kaya’s voice, an identifiable tone that she used when she was pulling rank. Although she didn’t do it often, Kaya was usually good at telling when she needed to exert her authority but right now it had been initiated through panic. She hadn’t really given much thought to what would happen to Nicholas past capturing him herself, but now the reality of the situation was starting to dawn on her. The thought of allowing him back into the government system made her feel nauseous, even though another part of her knew it was where he had to be. However, she was confident in her ability to persuade Lucas that following protocol at this point wasn’t in their best interests.

“Lucas I... I really am sorry. For everything. I know that I hurt you earlier and I hurt you again by keeping this all of this from you. I guess a part of me wants to protect you, to protect all of you from the mess that is my life. I didn’t expect it to come out this way. I-it’s hard, you know? But the others... they can’t know what you know. I don’t want to get them involved for their own sakes. Nicholas is dangerous, if he realises for a second that people who are close to me know more than they should then he won’t hesitate in trying to hurt them. I-I couldn’t bear it if any of you got hurt, because of me.” Kaya dared to glance up at Lucas then, her brown eyes pleading. “Please. I know I have no right to ask but please don’t tell the others.”

Last edited:
The heavy defiance from Kaya was expected. For as long as Lucas have known her, there’s nothing that Kaya devotes her heart more to than her job and her team. He understood how hard and perhaps insulting it was to suggest this but after having seen the disastrous attempt to interrogate Nicholas, Lucas truly believed it to be best for Kaya to step away from this case.

The fact that Kaya quickly reinforced her stance the moment that Lucas suggested she step down had only validated his assumptions. Whenever Nicholas becomes the subject of their conversation, whether it be directly or indirectly, him and her would always come to an disagreement. No matter what Kaya claims, it’s apparent that she is too emotionally attached to the catch to make the right judgements. She is thinking with her heart while Lucas is with his head.

As firm as Lucas was on his position, he still wasn’t able to defend against the gentleness of Kaya’s touch. She’d never been the type to show affection doing work and this was one of the only moments that she truly showed Lucas a bit of intimacy outside of their late nights together. Lucas could see the firm glisten in Kaya’s eyes as she unwaveringly opposed the male’s suggestion of reporting through the proper channels. This was again, rather unorthodoxed for someone like Kaya who’d always been rather compliant with the government’s set procedures. That was part of their agreement after all.

Lucas couldn’t help but wonder if she was only doing this to persuade him to her light. Nevertheless, Lucas could see that there was no purpose in continuing further. With a deep sigh, Lucas took one of her hands into his warm hold as he stared at her with hesitation. There was a moment of silence as Lucas‘ fingers traced through the female’s hands. The last time he’d held it like this was when Kaya was unconscious after having overused her powers to escape the collapsed building. The color had returned since then. It was a long shot from the grey and dusty texture as before.

After giving Kaya’s words a careful thought, he finally spoke. “You can trust me. I won’t tell the others about you and him. I just wish that you would’ve told me sooner.” There was no hiding the disappointment in Lucas’ words. It may not had been her intention, but Kaya’s words essentially told Lucas that he’s not someone that she feels comfortable with. At least not enough to have allowed herself to share her past.

Lucas would keep the pain of such thoughts largely to himself. He’d calmed down and realized that this was indeed not the place to talk about the two of them. And so, with a steady expression returning to his face, the male would resume starting about the more important matter at hand. “Ok, but you have to agree to not interrogate him alone again. I’m going back in there with you.“ This was essentially an ultimatum to Kaya. “Like you said, that man is too dangerous. He knows you, he knows how to get in your head. I can’t have you talk to him alone anymore.”

If earlier was any indication, it’s rather clear that Nicholas is capable of manipulation and deceit. Even in the shadows, he could see how each and everyone of Nicholas’ words were able to strike at just the right spot with just the right amount damage. If his goal was to break down Kaya piece by piece, he just may succeed if such interactions were to continue. That begs the question of just what his goal was. Which is what they need to find out. “Let’s go back in. We still have a lot of questions to ask him.”

Kaya could only watch quietly as an internal battle seemed to rage on inside of Lucas, the turmoil of his decision was evident in his expression. She watched as he took her hand in his and felt a wave of guilt wash through her. All he had ever been guilty of was having her best interests at heart and here she was, trying to manipulate him into her way of thinking. It was unheard of for Kaya not to follow the guidelines when it came to a case, she was always professional and sensible when at work, but Nicholas had awoken a recklessness inside of her that she had not seen since she was a child, and much like Lucas was, she was sure that this couldn't be a good thing. It was Lucas's next words though that brought her back to the present and she couldn't help but let a small exhale of relief pass through her lips when he reassured her that he wouldn't tell the others about her past. Despite her momentary comfort though, Kaya wasn't naive enough to believe that Lucas was completely okay with what she had said to him. She could see the disappointment in his gaze and it hurt her more than she ever thought it could. Coming from him, one of the only people to really care for her, his negative feelings towards her were causing Kaya an overwhelming sense of self-deprecation. Lucas was one of the good guys and Kaya was exploiting his kind nature; maybe she was more like Nicholas than she thought - taking charge of a situation to get what she wanted. But then she wasn't really sure what it was she wanted. Part of her still desired revenge for the death of her parents, but then another part of her couldn't bear what that revenge entailed. It was a constant battle fighting on in her mind.

"Thank you," she responded quietly after a moment, gripping Lucas's fingers into her own a little tighter just before he let go of her hand. He had been right to consider that some of Kaya's brief intimacy with him was part of a ploy for her to get him to agree to keeping her past a secret but it was also in part because Kaya sought a comfort from Lucas that she had always looked to him for. She enjoyed spending time with him, how he made her feel and the softness that he showed her; she hadn’t had much of that in her life before. But she also knew that it would never be enough, despite how much he cared for her and how much she cared for him. She could never return the feelings that he had for her in the same way. Kaya truly believed herself to be broken and incapable of offering Lucas what he wanted and this was why she kept him at such a distance. Lucas's next words however, shot a spear of anxiety through Kaya's chest; she could see the glimmer of a challenge in his words and for a moment she hesitated. If she was to agree to interrogating Nicholas with her partner, she wasn't sure where their conversations might lead them; would Nicholas be forthcoming in sharing more of their history that she wasn't comfortable with Lucas knowing? Would she be able to keep herself together to prove everything she had just convinced Lucas of? Given her emotions just a few seconds earlier she wasn't sure, but she also knew that she didn't have much of a choice. If this meant that could regain some of Lucas's trust then she had to try.

The brunette nodded slowly as she contemplated the sudden weight of her decision, smacking her lips to try and get past the dryness in her mouth. She wasn't wholly convinced that Nicholas would even speak if he knew that Lucas was by her side, which would ultimately cause them more frustration. Or maybe it would be a blessing in disguise for the both of them? However, Kaya was currently desperately trying to rid these worries from her mind as she focused on clearing her feelings enough for them to enter the interrogation area for another attempt at shedding some light on Nicholas's motives. Before Kaya allowed them to move back into the room, she stopped Lucas again momentarily. "Whatever he says, Luke, just remember that he will try and get into your head. It's what he does." The warning was a simple one, but Kaya couldn't help the uneasy trickle of what felt ice that was creeping down her spine at the idea of Nicholas, herself and Lucas engaging in some kind of conversation. She was sure that nothing good could come of it, but she had to try. As she had thought earlier, this was her job after all; both her and Lucas were well trained in this kind of skill, but what she was trying not to think about was that they had never had to interrogate someone of Nicholas's power before, and they certainly hadn't had to question someone who had such deep connections with her personal life. Maybe turning to a higher command would have been simpler, she considered as they moved back into the viewing area quietly. Although it didn't take her long to dismiss this thought almost as quickly as it had entered her mind; that just wasn't an option. Her reasons for why it wasn't though weren't altogether clear.

Kaya didn't turn the microphone on straight away as she turned to Lucas briefly. "I'm going to remove the blackout glass," she stated quietly, starting at his attempt to disagree with her. The government had installed such material for mutants exactly like Nicholas who held a telepathic power, but Kaya had never been a fan of interrogating a prisoner without them being able to see who was asking the questions - the process almost acted to dehumanise them further. "Trust me, Luke, Nicholas will be more likely to speak to us if he feels that we're treating him like a person and not like an animal." She should have done this originally but had been stopped by her fear of Nicholas reading her expressions; he was good at that, even if she didn’t want to admit it, even to herself. Before Lucas would protest any further then, she had already pressed the button to lift the wall away from the cell. "If things get out of hand, we'll put it straight back down. I promise."

Despite her discomfort at seeing Nicholas in his cell again, this time as she turned to look at him, herself and Lucas coming into his full view, Kaya could feel a clear numbness settling into her mind as she attempted to grasp onto some of the professionalism that she had taken years to build within herself. She couldn't afford to lose control this time and she couldn't afford for Nick to get under her skin. She was taking a mercenary approach to the whole thing but then Kaya wasn't sure what other choice she had. She had chosen to imprison Nicholas she needed to finish the job and that's all there was to it. With a deep inhale, the brunette glanced once more at Lucas before pressing the button to turn the microphone back on.

"We have some more questions for you, Nicholas," she started, her tone soft but with an authority that had been absent previously, as it had given way to her emotions rather than her logic. "Earlier today, you told me you that you had killed all of those innocent people to get your message across. What did you mean by that?"

Last edited:
Lucas stared intently as the blackout glass unveiled itself like a curtain in front of the window. From the moment that Nicholas came into view, Lucas was already trying to study him by gauging his expressions. He was trying everything he could to create the best profile he can for him. Aside from subduing rouge mutants, another one of Group X’s job is find out the why. Unfortunately, the male appeared relatively calm despite seeing Lucas’ presence beside Kaya. Then again, he already knew that Lucas was near so seeing him wasn’t really any surprise.

All of this effort is so that the government could better study the mentalities of mutants. They claim this to be part of their plan of re-integrating some back into society. In fact, the government had made many claims stating that any and all cooperative mutant can be released back into society once they contributed an amount of time to tests and experiments.

For people like Nicholas, he knows that such promises are too good to be true. The government doesn’t have the sympathy nor the humanity to just give up on valuable test subjects. There’s also no way that they’ll ever release someone who’d went against them in the best. The cruel reality is that almost every single mutant that has ever been turned into the government were never heard from again.

Lucas would notice that Nicholas was only looking at him. It was hard to discern the meaning behind this but it was rather clear that it was no simple acknowledging gesture. He was staring him down, like two predators would do when meeting one another in the wild. Except in this scenario, one is free and one is caged.

“It’s exactly as it sounds.” Nicholas replied back in a rather straight forward tone. “Do you two have any idea as to how many innocent mutants die in the hands of the people you’re working for?” Nicholas glared at the two with vivid disgust. He was appalled at their abilities to work for the very people who keeps their kind oppressed. But most of all, Nicholas simply couldn’t bring it to himself to understand as to why and how Kaya could work for the government after everything she’s seen. Even if it is to avenge her family, she could do so without betraying her kind. “If they can kill innocent mutants than I can do the same to humans.”

“An eye for an eye is it?” Lucas asked.

“Exactly.”

“You are sick.” Lucas exclaimed in disgust. He had never felt so revolted by someone’s words. First he got into Kaya’s head and now, he’s claiming all the killings to be an act of retaliation. Not only that, but he also states that he did it for the overall good of the mutant race in general. The lack of remorse shown alone was enough to make Lucas’ blood boil but the male was careful to control his emotions. It was more vital that he did now seeing that Nicholas could see him. He would not give the male the satisfaction of knowing that he was causing Lucas to grow infuriated. Plus, he needed to be a good example for Kaya. What right does he have to criticize her if he too can’t control himself?

“Killing innocent people is not going to bring people to your cause, Nicholas. It’ll only make people fear mutants even more.”

“Fear is the best motivator of change.” Nicholas said as he straightened himself. He would glance briefly at Kaya as to observe her reaction before turning his attention back to Lucas. “Mutants has tried to go about it peacefully for years and what did that bring us? Without fear, the greedy and selfish were free to construct facilities revolving around our own exploitation. Only by making them afraid can we stop all of this.”

“A lot of things have changed, Nicholas. There’s....”

“....regulations?”

“Yes....”

“You’re a bigger fool than I thought if you believe that to be true.”

“It is true. You are simply too blinded by revenge to see that things have changed.” Like Kaya, Lucas had placed the same amount of trust into the government as all the others. One can argue that he trusts them even more seeing that he grew up under their care. Although he’d never personally visited any of the institutes, Lucas have seen many articles and newspapers where it stated that the government were shifting to a more humane way of conducting experiments. Some facilities had even allowed newstations to visit and report on the way they conduct tests. Surely there’s no better proof than that.

“Tell me then, have you actually ever spoken to a mutant in those facilities?” Nicholas’ question was met by silence by Lucas. It was against regulation for any member of Group X to communicate with a mutant housed in research facilities. The reason being that it’s simply too dangerous as you never know why those mutants are in there.

“How many people were you planning to kill if we haven’t stopped you?”

“As many as it would take.”

“You are sick.”

“Don’t pretend that you are better than me. At least I’m on the right side.”

Turning off the button that activated the microphone, Lucas would turn to Kaya, who’d been listening on the exchange the entire time. “He’s too dangerous Kaya. If he is as powerful as you say he is, we can’t hold him here. This place isn’t designed for mutants like him.“ The HQ was created to only house mutants levels A-D. Those designated to be E class like Kaya or S class like Nicholas were to be reported to the higher authority, also known as the Mutant Investigations Bureau, as soon as possible so that they may come and take over the suspects.

“He may have those things on him but none of us know how long they’ll keep him down. If he gets out, more people will die.” Although Lucas have no plans to break his promise (yet), he was still trying to actively convince Kaya to change her mind. The only reason she’s so devoted to this case is partially because of its severity but mostly due to the person involved. Had it been any other individual, it’s likely that she would’ve already informed the bureau of the arrest.

For the most part, her opening question aside, Kaya stayed silent through the interchange that took place between Nicholas and Lucas. She could feel the tension rolling off her partner who stood next to her, as his shoulders seemed to become a little broader and his stance a little straighter. His appearance was a stark contrast to Nicholas's who, seemingly looked disinterested in the presence of the two agents. Kaya however, thought that she knew differently as she studied the way that he watched Lucas with an intense ferocity, like a lion might do when stalking its prey. She could only feel thankful in that moment that there was a strong wall of glass between the two.

As she listened to their conversation, Kaya had to bite her lip several times to stop herself from interrupting; she knew that to do so would be a mistake, because Lucas would be reluctant in letting their attempt to find out more continue and she didn't want to increase the chances of that happening. It was clear from Nicholas's answers that he held themselves and the government in utter contempt, despite their work to try and achieve a better world for both humans and mutants alike. What he seemed to be forgetting is how conditioned Kaya had become in believing the organisation that her parents had worked for. Although she had known that the treatment of Nicholas under her parents' orders was less than humane, she believed the government when they had agreed to change this way of working, in exchange for her taking up her role in Group X. If her parents had trusted them, then why shouldn't she? Plus, Kaya had lost everything the night of the fire, if it hadn't been for the authorities picking her up and dropping her into their organisation, she wasn't sure where she might be today. She didn't need to see inside of the facilities to trust that what they told her was correct. They wouldn't lie to a Reid, not after her family's many years of good service. Right?

It was in the next moment that Kaya watched Lucas move to turn off the microphone again, and she was just about to ask him why when he spoke. The brunette listened to his words but she didn't really seem to hear them as she blinked a few times, as if trying to contemplate what he was actually suggesting. It was usual protocol to call in the MIB if they encountered a mutant as strong as Nicholas, but given her closeness to the case, that Lucas was right to question, she couldn't bare to relinquish her role in it. Part of Kaya was desperate for answers, but it wasn't the answers for the government that she wanted it was answers for herself. If Lucas called in a higher command those answers would be lost to her forever, and she wasn't about to let that happen.

"Those devices are designed for mutants like Nicholas," she responded after a moment. "We're safe for as long as he's in there. Luke, please don't do this now. We've already spoken about this. I need you to let me do my job. If we don't gather the correct information, we'll be putting the whole organisation at risk. We can't call in a higher order if we can't provide them with a complete profile and we simply don't have the details we need to do that yet." Kaya was surprised at how easily she could spin the regulations to suit her own needs, and through her desperation to convince him, she was potentially underestimating Lucas's understanding of how their processes worked. But, it was a risk she was willing to take if it meant that he would relent and allow Nicholas to stay under their care. Kaya took a moment to glance back into the cell, similarly to the way that Nicholas had glanced to check on her reaction earlier. She knew that he couldn't hear what they were saying and she felt thankful for that as she pulled her eyes away after a moment longer, turning her attention back to Lucas. Nicholas didn't need to hear her making excuses for him to stay; look at where her trying to keep his company had landed them last time.

"Let's just stick at this a little longer and if he doesn't give us anymore information then we can... well we can call in the MIB, as a last resort." Kaya could see the hesitation in Lucas's eyes as she spoke, it looked a lot like he had already closed off his mind to the decision. In his own thoughts, he knew the route that he thought they needed to take but as things stood now, he was powerless to take the next step. That is, unless he was willing to deceive Kaya's wishes and call in a favour without her finding out it was him? This consideration flitted through Lucas's mind fleetingly but was a serious idea that he wasn't altogether sure about acting upon just yet. He wasn't sure if he could do that to her. But then, her mind seemed too clouded by the case to allow her to make a sound judgement when it came to Nicholas, and maybe he did need to step in for Kaya's own sake.

"If this was any other case Kaya, we'd have called them in by now. You can't pretend that that isn't true." Kaya dropped her gaze then as Lucas met hers, to hide the look of guilt that passed across her features. He was right of course, they both knew it. But what Lucas couldn't fully understand was why. He knew that Nicholas and Kaya shared a past but that didn't really make sense as to why she was so reluctant to send Nicholas onto where he needed to be. Was she that desperate for revenge? That didn't suit her somehow, Lucas thought as she struggled to get his head around the secrets she was keeping from him. Not to mention, if it was revenge she wanted, what better way than to send him deeper into the system, when that was clearly where he was so loathed to go?

"I've made my decision Lucas. We're going to continue." With that sentence the brunette turned away from him, casting her eyes back to Nicholas as she turned the microphone back on. Kaya let a few moments of silence pass between the three as she attempted to collect her own thoughts. Without thinking, she reached up a hand to brush a stray hair away from her forehead and flinched as her fingers pressed against the gash that had been left above her eyebrow after she had rushed to save Nicholas from the falling building, just a few hours before. The dull ache that if left was like a constant reminder of how she had instinctively rushed to save him when his life had been at risk, much like she was doing now. It was a thought that worried Kaya to the point that she forced it from her mind, in favour of continuing with the interrogation as she had said that she would.

"You said that fear is the best motivator of change," she spoke quietly after a moment, meeting Nicholas's gaze this time in an attempt to draw his eyes away from Lucas. "But you're wrong. Creating fear will only create more uncertainty and uncertainty will lead to violence and that will lead to death. There are better ways to facilitate change in this world. You're doing nothing but pushing the humans even further away from us. How many people dying do you think it will take for them to take notice? Zero, is the answer. From the very first moment you killed an innocent human, you alienated anybody who might have listened to you. Nobody wants to hear a murderer." Kaya sounded very much like she was speaking from her own experiences, which to some extent she was, but she knew that Nicholas didn't need to know that, nor did Lucas. Nick had alienated her the day he had murdered her mother and father and now his words seemed meaningless to her, because all she could ever see when she spoke to him was their lifeless bodies as their office had been engulfed by pitch black flames. She was sure that this is how the majority of people would look upon his actions, but he was too blinded by years of bitterness to see it.

"Were you acting alone when you brought the building down?"

Watching Lucas and Kaya speak was one watching the tv on mute. Nicholas may not be able to hear what they’re talking about but it was clear that the two were involved in some sort of disagreement. His powers over the mind had augmented his senses and that included his sight. He was able to easily see the expressions between the couple. Admittedly, it was rather entertaining to watch for Nicholas. Kaya had refused to speak of her relationship to Lucas but Nicholas knew that the two were more than just partners. As for how “close” their relationship went exactly, that’s something he’ll have to find out another time.

While the two continued their soft debates, Nicholas was using the time to the best of his abilities. He had no doubt that his team have learned of his capture by now, which was something that Nicholas had expected to happen. He’d instructed his team to remain idle in such a situation but a part of Nicholas knew that wasn’t going to happen. Like Kaya, Nicholas knows his team better than most and he’s certain that there’s a specific member who’ll directly disobey his orders if she thinks that he’s in danger.

But in the nigh-impossible scenario that she do decides to listen, Nicholas would have to find a way to escape on his own. The male had already surveyed his little cell. Aside from the one door that’s sealed shut and reinforced, there’s nowhere for Nicholas to escape from. Even the AC vents are nothing but holes as small as the microphone. Destroying the walls was out of the question since he couldn’t utilize his powers, He would also have to break free from the chain that binds him to his bed. Then there’s the cameras and alarms which would trigger the minute he makes an untimely move. If a human was to be placed in such a space, there’s no doubt that they would mistake it for a prison.

It is unlikely that Nicholas would be able to escape through his efforts alone. Which then again, was something the male had predicted. And so, he’d found it necessary to take certain precautions prior to his capture.

Finally, after a few minutes of converse, the two operatives turned their attention back to him. It would seem that they’d come to a consensus over whatever they were talking about. At least close enough to it that they’re able to unite against him again.

“Who says that I care about what they think?” Nicholas replied back rhetorically. His attention had been shifted back to the female and just like hours before, Nicholas was treating Lucas as if he’d never existed. Which was something that’s beginning to irk the male as well. In truth, everything Nicholas is going was starting to irritate him.

“The message is for those high up in the ladder. They’re for the men upstairs, not the ants on the ground.” Nicholas was aware that killing and causing mayhem would only turn the public against mutants. He would’ve avoided such tactics had he truly cared about their opinion. In his mind, what the people themselves think never really mattered to the government. After all, there have been people campaigning for mutant rights for decades and both he and Kaya knew how that went. Although the latter may had foolishly allowed herself to become tricked by the government’s facade, Nicholas knew better.

“I don’t care about causing fear to them. The real targets are those siting in their fancy chairs and signing our death warrants.” The words of the people don’t matter. They are all just pawns to the government and Kaya and her team are no different. Only when the real danger reaches them would the powerful actually take action. “And trust me, they’ll listen. You’ll be surprised at how cooperative people become when a knife is held against their throats.” The words rolled off Nicholas’ like the script of a play. He was speaking with utter confidence, which suggested that he’d learned such beliefs through personal experiences.

When asked if he was operating alone, Nicholas only chuckled. He took a moment to stare at Kaya with an expression equaling that of him saying “are you really asking me this?”.

“Do you think I’ll be willing to trust another soul after being stabbed in the back so many times?” This time, Nicholas did not directly call Kaya out but it was apparent that she was the subject of his accusations.

Once again, Lucas turned off the mic, preventing Kaya from responding to his question. It was another one of his kind tactics and Lucas had caught it before Kaya could fall victim to it. There’s was also another reason.

“His story isn’t adding up.” Lucas said as he took a moment to brainstorm his theory. “You said that he told you his plan to kill all those previously involved in Helix right? So why is he telling us now that he’s trying to send a message to those in the government? What message would he send from killing a bunch of old retired scientists? Wouldn’t he want to target those still working?” The first thing that came to Lucas’ head was that Nicholas was targeting the scientists for petty revenge. But the male had 6 years to do so. He’s clearly acting with a goal in mind. According to years of criminal profiling, someone possessing such a resolute goal tends to not let their own grievances affect the progress of it.

“He had all these years to kill those men so why now? Something’s not right.” Lucas said to Kaya before turning the mic back on.

“Just what exactly is your goal here? And don’t say the old scientists because I know that’s not the case.“

Lucas’ response was met by only silence and a sly smile from Nicholas. Lucas hated how he can’t seem to discern the meaning behind Nicholas’ body language. His expressions are either blank or mysterious. It’s like he’s actively trying to toy with him. “It’s a faint isn’t it? Killing them was never your goal right?”

“It might be, it might not. What does it matter? Like you said, I’m stuck here for the rest of my life. What does my goal matter now?” There was no mistaking the sarcastic tone in his statements. Nicholas was indeed taunting them, although inside, he’s rather impressed that Lucas was able to see through the lies.

Kaya listened to Nicholas's response, her eyebrows pulling together in momentary confusion. A little like Lucas was thinking, something about Nicholas's answers weren't quite adding up. It had previously been clear that revenge was what he strove for, but the more than he spoke the more that his plan didn't match up with what they had assumed was his original motive. Not to mention, Nick was being strangely forthcoming with his answers and Kaya couldn't help but wonder if he was trying to throw them off his scent for whatever plan he actually had. At this point, the brunette had started to consider whether they really did need to call in a higher command. Not one part of her wanted to, but she was starting to feel a little out of her depth. Kaya was good at her job, she was a good leader and her role meant more to her than anything else. But all of that seemed to change when their target was someone who she shared a past with. It was a thought that irritated Kaya; she was annoyed at herself for letting Nicholas get inside of her head. Had she not warned Luke that that was what he would do just moments before? Yet here she was, being ruled by her heart rather than her head and she hated herself for it.

Before she could retort to his scathing comment about being stabbed in the back, Lucas had turned the microphone off and she couldn't help but feel a little relieved that he had. Nicholas's words and expressions were taunting Kaya, questioning her abilities; she could see it in his expression and despite the fact that she knew what he was trying to do to her, the brunette had been about to bite. She watched as Nick sat there as though he knew exactly what had happened that day six years ago, but in part Kaya felt that she had the upper hand on that view because he didn't really know what had happened at all. That was in part, why they were in this mess in the first place. Although, if you could consider her knowledge as an upper hand, Kaya wasn't so sure - had it made her any better off? Certainly not.

As she turned to Lucas, considering what he was saying to her, Kaya couldn't help but feel grateful that he was by her side, despite her initial trepidation about them going into this as a team. He had learned quickly when Nicholas was using his tactics for something other than to throw them off his scent and he was giving Kaya the time she needed to regroup in her own head before she responded. In essence he was directing the conversation, almost like a kind of mediator and Kaya felt guilty for previously underestimating his abilities by attempting to question Nicholas without him. That wasn't like Kaya; she was usually on the ball with the skills and capabilities of her team. But as most of them had acknowledged, she wasn't exactly herself today and that was all to do with the man that sat in front of them.

"You're right," she replied to Lucas after a moment, considering the holes that he was picking in what Nick had told them. Her mind was racing as she tried to pull together the snippets of information that they had, as well as some of the motives that she had gleaned from Nicholas himself earlier in the day. At this point, she wouldn't put it past him to be giving them a false alibi in an attempt to discourage them completely. As she considered the possibility of this, Kaya was starting to realise just how twisted Nicholas had become. He had always been powerful, but mix that with twenty four years of bitterness and suddenly they were faced with a deceitfulness her team had never previously experienced.

"You seem pretty calm for somebody who's been prevented from fulfilling their goal," Kaya commented, her own tone matter of fact as she tried to remain level headed when she spoke. Allowing her emotions to filter into what she was saying was easy and as she was starting to realise, only fuelled Nicholas's desire to bother her more. If she could remain neutral, it would serve to aid their purpose of finding out the truth about what was going on here. But then that was easier said than done. "So, you either plan to get out of here, which you won't by the way, or you have others who will continue your work for you." Kaya wasn't exactly sure how she felt about Nicholas being part of a team - they had previously assumed that he was a manic individual with somewhat extremist views, but if there were people willing to work for those views, this problem was maybe more ingrained than Group X had originally believed it to be.

"And why now?" Kaya asked then, pushing him further as she echoed Lucas's earlier question. "You've had six years to initiate your plan, but you waited until today. If this was just about Helix you could have attacked already, the scientists that worked there aren't difficult to find if you know how. What is it that you've been planning in that time? Getting a message across is just the start for someone like you. You won't stop there, even if you can get people to listen."

As she asked the question, Kaya felt herself rushing to find the answer before Nicholas gave it. Her mind had gone into overdrive with the possibilities of what he might be intending; maybe her earlier quip of world domination, although she had used it in jest, hadn't been so far from the truth? What did Nicholas hate more than anything? Her thoughts sadly, rushed quickly to herself with that question, and to what she was part of and what she stood for, deep brown eyes blinking a couple of times as a hint of realisation passed across Kaya's features.

"You have a bigger target than scientists and sending a message," she said after a moment. "You want to target the system."

Last edited:
Nicholas retained his composure as Kaya spouted her questions. He could see her mind kicking into high gear as she tried to piece every detail together. They were making a rather risky observation given the lack of actual clues. Everything was going off their gut, which given their profession, is something they have to trust in. At least, Kaya broke the silence as she voiced her theory.

“You want to target the system.” Nicholas didn’t know exactly why, but hearing those words come out of Kaya’s mouth had only made him grow proud of her. The fact that she was able to come to such a conclusion showed that she’d grown from her old self. She may not have changed much in terms of morality but she have indeed matured. And as much as Nicholas did not want to admit it to himself, there’s a part of him deep within himself that was joyful to see her having come so far since the disaster.

He was careful not to display any form of reaction that may give away the true nature of his goals. Even so, the male could not help but smile at Kaya. Although, there was no hints as to what the smile had entailed. Could it be that she was right? Or was he smiling because she’d managed to talk herself into a believing a false truth?

Confusion filled Lucas’ mind as he observed the male’s reaction to Kaya’s statement. There didn’t seem to be any taunting display behind Nicholas’ expression, which only made it more off. “Are you going to answer the question?”

“I think visiting time is over.” Nicholas said as he turned again from the two’s view. He would pay the two no heed as he laid down on to his bed as if there was no worry in the world.

“Looks like that’s all we’re getting from him today.” Lucas said after turning off the microphone. He followed this by reactivating the black glass, a sign that the interrogation was indeed over.

“My gut tells me that we’re right, Kay.” It seemed too coincidental that Nicholas suddenly decided to become uncooperative the minute that Lucas and Kaya calls him out on his supposed lies. But then again, there’s also the possibility that this was also a faint attempt to diverge them to follow a whole new theory. This man is simply too deceiving for them to let their guard them. They would have to take everything he says with a grain of salt.

“But if he’s targeting the system, where would he start? And do you think he really does have people working for him?” It would be reasonable to assume that he does given his current circumstance. Either Nicholas has partners ready to carry out his work or he had some sort of plan to escape his current imprisonments. Which is nearly impossible. Aside from the high end security details, Nicholas would also have to get through all of HQ’s other agents, many of whom have powers of their own. This makes the theory that he has partners more believable.

There was something about Nicholas's expression that made Kaya feel uncomfortable. She couldn't be sure what the reason was for the sudden smile to touch his features but she found that she was unable to maintain eye contact with him as she flickered her own gaze to the floor. As the accusation had left Kaya's mouth, she had experienced a gut feeling that her assumptions about Nicholas's motives were correct. That much was confirmed by the way in which he turned his back upon them in refusal to answer any further questions. Kaya could feel her knees trembling with frustration as he suddenly closed up and she was glad in that moment that he had turned away from her so that her eyes couldn't deceive her of the anger and confusion that were suddenly evident on her features. She simply nodded quietly in response to Lucas, who closed up the cell just before they moved back out in the hallway. The brunette turned to him as he began to speak, her eyes only just managing to refocus on his as her mind still whirred with activity.

"I agree," she murmured quietly, as she pulled the tie from her hair that had previously been keeping it off her face, her dark waves falling softly around her shoulders. "But what I can’t decide, is if the system really is his target, or if Nicholas is leading us to believe that's his target, when really his target is something else entirely." Kaya tried not to wince at how complicated her own speculation sounded, a dull ache forming in her right temple as she tried to over-concentrate on the limited information Nicholas had presented them with. The stress of the day was gradually taking its toll on her as her mind seemed to become muddled more quickly, the more that she tried to mull over the theories in her head. Given how much had happened in such a short amount of time, it was no wonder that dark circles were beginning to form under her eyes, her skin taking on a pale pallor that gave away how exhausted she really felt. It was only Lucas's next question that pulled her back into the present as she ran a hand through her hair and exhaled softly.

"I don't know," she answered honestly. "The most obvious place would be the government. But it would take more than just Nicholas to infiltrate them, unless he plans to attack the smaller authorities first. That's why I think he must be working with allies. He's powerful but he's not that powerful, as much as he'd like to think that he is." Kaya felt a hint of disdain creeping into her voice, which was quickly replaced by worry at the next thought that she spoke aloud to her partner. "He's also far too casual about being locked up... I don't know, his behaviour just doesn't sit right with me Luke. I know what Nicholas is like. He hates the idea of being imprisoned. If he truly believed he was stuck in that cell, he wouldn't be speaking to us with such a... casual indifference.”

Kaya glanced back up at Lucas then, the frown that had been pulling her brows together releasing gently as she took in his anxious expression that was mirroring that of her own. For a moment, she forgot about Nicholas in his cell as concern for her teammate replaced the questions that were currently battling around her consciousness. Throughout the events that had followed the collapse of the building, Kaya had forgotten how much of a beating some of her team had taken and although she knew that Lucas would never let on, she could see that whatever pain had been inflicted upon him previously had left remnants of stress and tension upon his person, that currently remained rooted in his expression. The same could probably be said for the rest of Group X.

"Hey, are you okay?" She asked after a moment, reaching out to link her fingers with his. For a moment Kaya was simply happy to let Lucas be her distraction from everything that had taken place today. From the building collapse, to rescuing the Marks family... to him. It was all getting to be too much and she wanted nothing more in that moment to welcome a rush of feelings as far away from the confusion of the day that she could get. The brunette suppressed a shudder then as her mind involuntarily replayed the image of Nicholas's smile. She wasn't sure why, but that small action in particular hadn't sat right with her. She couldn't place her finger on the emotion it generated within her, but whatever it was, Kaya was sure that she didn't want to experience it again anytime soon.

"Why don't we go back to my place? We can talk some more there, if you like?" Kaya's offer was soon interrupted however, by Thea, Beth and Isaac who came wandering down the hallway. The brunette heard the trio before she saw them and let her hand fall away from Lucas's as they approached.

"How did it go?" Isaac asked as he approached came to a stop in front of the two, his expression full of curiosity as he awaited an update.

"Not great," Kaya responded after a moment of hesitation. "Nicholas isn't giving much away and when he does it's confusing. I think we’ll need to question him more to find out what his plan really is."

She watched as the expressions of her teammates seemed to drop then, a few glances passing between the trio which seemed to say so much without them verbally needing to say anything at all. One of Kaya’s main skills was to read the feelings of her team and in that moment their thoughts were written all over their faces, and Kaya was quick not to let them be disheartened by her answer. "We'll get there though, I'm sure. It’s just going to take some time.” She attempted a small smile then before continuing. “Why don't you guys go on home now and get some rest? We can start again tomorrow when we're all a little more refreshed. You've all worked really hard today."

Lucas’ lips opened but before any words could leave it, the familiar voice of his teammate caught his attention. Lucas remained largely silent as Kaya sadly informs the team of their minimal progress. He noticed that Kaya hadn’t informed the team of their speculation regarding Nicholas’ lies, which made sense since it really is just a makeshift theory. There’s no proof and all they have to go on is their guts. Even so, Lucas truly believed their theory to be true. Not only did it make more sense than a typical revenge story but it also accurately reflected their prisoner’s intelligence.

Lucas could see the disappointed expression cross the three’s faces. His eyes turned to Isaac, whose face had suffered several scratches as a result of being thrown across the room like him. Unlike Lucas, Isaac doesn't possess the power of regeneration and thus, his scars had remained throughout his body. Thinking back, had Lucas not possess the powers that he does, he would’ve long died in Nicholas’ hands. If the first collision with the wall wasn’t enough to kill him, the second surely would’ve.

“Isaac, I told you to go see Lucie to get your injuries taken cared off.” Lucas said while crossing his arms. He’d always been like the dad of the group. Lucas’ powers may have given him a level of indestructibility, but it’d also caused the male to feel a great sense of responsibility over the safety of his team. Just like Kaya, Lucas’ powers have the potential to protect those around him, which puts enormous pressure on the male to do so whenever there is danger facing his teammates. Sometimes this pressure could become overwhelming and even turn into guilt. Which is why Lucas could always relate to Kaya whenever she feels guilty over putting her team in hazardous situations. This is another thing that the two have in common and why they work so well as a team.

Although Group X are the most prized team within the MIB, there are also several other mutants groups that work under the bureau for a similar purpose. There are also individual mutants who have been employed by the MIB for unique occupations. Among them is a mutant named Lucie who possesses the power to learn and heal the wounds of others. She serves as the team’s medic and is one of the most loved members in the MIB. Largely because about half of the organization is indebted to her with their lives.

“I did. I wouldn’t be walking straight if I hadn’t.” Isaac replied back as he gestured to his back, which had suffered several broken bones from being thrown across the room. “Lucie also said I had a concussion so I guess that’s a bonus.” He joked with a chuckle.

“So what’s up with the scar?...” Lucas asked.

“Oh uh...”

“He wanted to keep it cause he thinks it makes him look tough.” Thea interrupted with a soft nudge. He comment naturally caused an uproar from Isaac.

“Hey! It’s not like that!”

“Sure it’s not.” Thea chuckled again, followed by Beth. Lucas also gave in and let out a soft laugh. It was a good shift in mood after their dreadful day. To think that seeing all those people dead would’ve been the darkest event of today. But after learning of Nicholas’ hidden and potentially deadly motives, Lucas could feel nothing but anxiety and worry for whatever he may have planned.

“And what about you two? You have any plans?” Thea said to Kaya with a suggestive wink. “Of course they do. They’re heading home just like us. But whose home is the question.” Beth teased. The group have always loved to crack jokes about Kaya and Lucas’ not so secret relationship. It’s always funny to see their reactions, especially since they both tend to react in different ways.

Seeking the opportunity, Isaac extended his arms to smack the heads of both girls before he started to usher them away. “Alright we’ll leave you guys to it.” He said with a wink to Lucas as he and the girls paced down the hall. It would only take a few seconds for them to disappear from sight.

Even at a distance, Lucas could still hear the echoing of Thea’s laughter. It would take a few more seconds after they’d disappeared from sight for silence to finally be restored. “I just can’t with them.” Lucas said sarcastically. His mood had somewhat brightened from the exchange just now and that was evident in his smile.

“You know what, let go to my place tonight instead. You’ve always said that you liked my bed better anyways.” The male said in a flirty manner. He smiled implicitly as he ran a quick finger through Kaya’s hair. Lucas also liked to make jokes about their relationship every now and then. But never as much as his teammates who would also do it during work to gauge the couple’s awkward reactions.

With a small feeling of warmth, Kaya watched the interchange between her teammates, a smile threatening to pull at the corners of her lips. She enjoyed watching Lucas especially as he stepped into an almost fatherly role as he picked up Isaac on his battle scars. Much like he had been thinking to himself, Kaya knew how much responsibility Lucas took for the group, especially when any of its members were hurt; it was almost an instinctual feeling that came as a result of the nature of his power. Likewise, Kaya knew what it felt like to hold herself accountable when something went wrong. It was her job, after all to make sure that it didn't. She felt particularly responsible for how the events of today had played out and their resulting failure to get to the bottom of Nicholas's true motives. Kaya wasn't used to feeling failure; it had been instilled in her from a very young age that she had to be the best if she was going to succeed in the world around her. This was somewhat of damaging mantra she'd taken with her since her parents had died and she'd lost Nicholas, who was the one person who maybe allowed Kaya to be herself, rather than the soldier that she was being trained up to be. There was no mistaking the love that her parents held for her, but it was out of love that they had strived to give her the tools she needed to one day take over the work they had started at Helix and ultimately, this had simply done her more damage than it had good.

Despite the comedic interchange happening in front of her, Kaya's features were still marred with the heavy feeling of guilt that she was carrying with her over the previous events of the day. It was Kaya's fault that Isaac had battle wounds that he wouldn't get fixed and it was her fault that her team, despite their jovialities, looked so drained, and that was simply something she could not forgive herself for. As Thea poked fun at Isaac though, Kaya tried her hardest to mask her sudden burst of self-loathing with an eye roll and a shake of the head at their attempts to lighten the mood, the brunette fighting to go with their light-heartedness rather than succumbing to her usual raincloud like behaviour. However, as Thea winked at her, it was embarrassment and awkwardness that seemed to flutter across Kaya's features as she glanced quickly at Lucas and then back to the group, suddenly becoming a little warmer under her jacket. Of course the team knew about hers and Lucas's late night meetings, but Kaya had always demonstrated a professionalism that meant she kept their arrangement away from the general discussion of the team. But it would be naive of her to think that they weren't fully aware that there was more going on in those meetings than a late night case briefing, as was often suggested by the comments they made to try and get a reaction out of the two. Unfortunately for them though, Kaya's reaction was usually one of dismissal. "That, my lovely Beth, is absolutely none of your business," Kaya smiled at her friend then, a genuine smile that was maybe the first she had expressed today, before Isaac was soon ushering them away, leaving her alone with Lucas again as Thea's laughter echoed down the hallway.

The brunette turned to him after a moment, meeting his gaze and matching his smile with her own, despite her discomfort around the previous discussion. "They're like naughty school kids," she smiled, in an attempt to rid some of her own awkwardness, before her expression teetered off to be replaced by a smirk at Lucas's next statement. Kaya studied him for a moment before she responded, just taking in the warmth in his eyes and the genuine happy glow that seemed to radiate from him like a light. Lucas was one of the very rare genuine types that you didn't come across very often and despite their arrangement being purely physical, Kaya couldn't help but feel drawn to him because he provided her with something that she didn't find anywhere else. He was her stability, her constant source of comfort when she needed it the most and yet she didn't treat him as she should, which was just something else that added to her long list of reasons to dislike herself.

Kaya's eyes narrowed as Lucas trailed a finger through her hair. "Oh is that right?" She smirked at him, returning his flirty tone in an attempt to distract her from the tornado of thoughts that was currently threatening to pull her away from this brief moment of happiness. "I wouldn't be so sure, Luke. I happen to be very fond of my own bed. Especially if I'm in it alone, when there's nobody there to steal the covers..." She smiled then as she teased him, taking a couple of steps forwards and leaning closer to him as she murmured by his ear, "Yours it is. I'll meet you out front." Kaya didn't pull back to catch his expression as she moved past him then, her arm lightly brushing his. If Kaya was anybody but herself she could have easily allowed herself to develop feelings for Lucas and somewhere, a distant part of her yearned for someone like him to fill in the constant gap of loneliness that followed her around like a shadow. But Kaya knew that as much as she cared about him, something was always a little off about their arrangement in her own mind, something she couldn't quite place. It was almost like it was missing something and therefore she couldn't bring herself to make the commitment that she knew he wanted, because there was always a gut feeling stopping her. Kaya sighed as these thoughts followed her down the hallway, acknowledging to herself that she had long-ago installed a self-destruct button in her own little world, that she was all too quick to press the moment things started to look a little more positive. There was a small part of Kaya that truly believed that she didn't deserve to be happy, not after what she had done to Nicholas.

It didn't take Kaya long to gather her things; she often kept an overnight bag in her office as usually she wasn't going home to her own place at the end of the day. She briefly hesitated on her way out, her thoughts flickering to Nicholas alone in his cell momentarily, but it only took a very brief reminder of the bodies they had experienced earlier today to rid that thought from her mind, allowing her to make her way outside to meet Lucas as they had planned. She found his car eventually and took up position by leaning against the passenger door, waiting for her companion to join her.

Last edited:
As Kaya didn’t take the moment to look, she wouldn’t have seen the illuminating smile that’d befallen Lucas’ lips. As much as he understood Kaya’s passion for her job, it was always nice to see her pull herself away from the stressful professionalism and enjoy the moment at hand. Lucas understood the need to be mindful at all times given their occupation. Despite the HQ’s secretive location, it is not impossible to find. If an enemy is devoted enough, they could easily see pass the facility’s camouflage and assault it. Fortunately and surprisingly as well, there has never been an attack on the HQ itself in the past. Most criminals are deterred by the idea of attacking a place filled with mutants and guns.

As Kaya departed for her desk, Lucas would also leave for his. Since he was pretty organized with his belongings, it didn’t take long for him to gather them. It was made easier by the fact that all he really needed to grab was the files relating to past mutant cases. It’s not abnormal for Lucas to take his work home. In truth, there’s rarely time to actually do the paperwork during work hours. Which Lucas is fine with as he despises paperwork.

Like always, Lucas’ vehicle had been moved to the facility’s underground parking lot by one of HQ’s valets. To make things easier, all of HQ’s employees have a designated spot so it wasn’t difficult to find one’s vehicle after a long day of work. After hoping into his vehicle, the male would start up the car and begin taking glances at the files now in his lap. He tends to do this to past the time, especially when it comes to waiting for others. But for Kaya, it usually never took long. She tends to be at his car before Lucas even is, but today, he was just a little quicker.

The opening sounds of the car door caused Lucas to shift his eyes his lap. A smile blossomed on his face as he saw Kaya hopping into the seat. “A little slower than usual.” The male joked as he tossed the paperclipped files towards the backseat. Without wasting anymore time, he backed up the car and headed for the exit of the parking lot.

Part of the government’s incentive for joining the team was the promise of housing. The city of Reander is similar to New York in its luxurious homes and apartments. Lucas was fortunate enough to have been assigned a penthouse in one of the city’s well known apartment complexes. The government often uses him as an example to other mutants regarding what can come out of being loyal.

It would take a good half an hour to get to Lucas’ home with Reander traffic. The night had become dark but it was still rather early by Lucas’ standards. By the time they’d arrived back at Lucas’ place, it was already a quarter past nine.

After parking his vehicle, Lucas would exit and retrieve the files from the backseat before leading Kaya up to the door. The trip upstairs is probably one of the only downsides to a penthouse. It can become tedious with the elevators, especially when one is in a hurry to get to their rooms. Fortunately for the couple, they have plenty of time.

Arriving on the 16th floor, the couple headed to the familiar room 1612. As they approached the room’s door, Lucas would insert his keys into the lock before twisting the knob and carefully pushing the door open. Lucas have lost track of how many times he’d accidentally broken the door or the doorknob.

Like his office, Lucas’ home is rather organized. It’s a two story apartment with most of the needed amenities. Given that it was picked by the government, it’s only expected as such. After entering and shutting the door, Lucas would toss the files on to a nearby couch before making his way towards the kitchen. It isn’t unusual for the male to forsake his meals during work. Not because he lacks hunger but because he simply forgets about it at times.

Lucas would target the fridge, which contained only several ingredients of meat and vegetables. Lucas wasn’t much of a shopper. Plus, he’s often too busy at work to go shopping. Even on days that he do get off early, he’s often too tired to really go anywhere but home. “Are you hungry?” The male asked Kaya.

After a short few seconds, Lucas would shut the fridge with nothing in hand except whatever Kaya may have requested (if she does). In all honestly, he wasn’t really hungry. The events of today had curved all sense of hunger away from his mind. Turning to Kaya, Lucas noticed again that she seemed to be caught up in thoughts of her own. Lucas would approach her as he reached for one of her hand to take into his. “Look, I know today wasn’t easy but you should give yourself a break. Don’t think too much about it.” His face reflected just as much calm and caring intent as his voice did. Lucas would say this as he lifted a hand to caress the side of Kaya’s face while he smiled at her brightly.

Kaya was surprised as she eventually came to Lucas's car to see that he was already sat in the drivers seat waiting for her, as usually he was the one joining her. She hopped in quickly, waving her own files at him as an explanation as to why she had been a little slower. Unlike Lucas, Kaya was fairly disorganised when it came both her office and her own apartment. She often had paperwork scattered all over her desk and her drawers were a jumble of stationary and folders, so it made it nearly impossible for her to find anything when she needed it. Because Kaya's mind was often racing faster than her actions could catch up with her, she simply forgot to tidy things away or used the excuse that she simply didn't have the time. It was a personality quirk that her team liked to remind her of regularly, and it was often a joke between the group that if they ever stepped foot in Kaya's office they probably wouldn't find their way out again.

For the majority of their journey, Kaya remained silent, her cheek resting in the palm of her hand as the city lights were reflected in her eyes whilst Lucas drove them to his apartment. The brunette knew the route well, they often left work together and performed this little routine, but still she enjoyed watching the buzz of the city as the familiar streets and buildings passed by just outside of the car window. Kaya had come to have such a love/hate relationship with Reander and the hostility it held between its structures. Before six years ago she had never been allowed to step foot into its bustling streets and heaving complexes. Her parents had forbade it, for fear of what might happen if the wrong people realised that the Reid's only daughter had moved out of the realms of their protection. Needless to say that given their line of work, the Reid's had gathered a handful of enemies over the years. Despite that her parents were no longer around to protect her though, Kaya found that it was still a rarity that she had time now to explore, given her role in Group X. But on the odd occasion that her and Lucas didn't leave work together, she would often take herself off for a walk and wind up in a coffee shop somewhere, sat with a hot tea and watching the lives of people pass her by. Sometimes Kaya liked to pretend that she was one of them and forget about her troubled past, just for an hour or so.

Eventually the two arrived at Lucas's building, Kaya grabbing the files that had been rested on her lap, as well as her bag and following Lucas through the entrance. It took them a time to ride the elevator to the top floor, but soon he was opening the door to his penthouse and leading the brunette inside. Kaya paused in the doorway for just a moment, marvelling at how neat and tidy everything was; she had been here countless times before, but it never failed to impress her. The apartment sparkled with organisation as she took in how everything seemed to have its very own place. It was true that the government treated loyalty in mutants well and Lucas's home was a prime example of that. Kaya herself had opted for a smaller, much more conservative space in her own building, that held just enough room for her. She liked it that way as it meant that she simply had less space to keep clean. This was also a big part of the reason why when her and Lucas did decide to spend the night together, they often came to his, simply because it was a much more comfortable fit for two.

As Lucas made his way into the kitchen, Kaya shrugged herself out of her jacket and draped it over the back of a nearby chair, dropping her bag just beside it. She placed her own files with Lucas's on the couch and wandered silently over to the large window, where she took in the view of the city below them. She had always thought that it was such a shame that Reander wasn't a peaceful place to live for mutants as it was such a beautiful city. If you looked at it from above, you could never know about the hatred and bitterness that existed between the two races and momentarily Kaya tried to consider what a world without such emotions would be like. She wondered what her life might have been like if her powers had never revealed themselves and she wondered whether her relationship with Nicholas would have ever developed in the way it had if she had been purely human. Her thoughts flickered back to that day he had talked her down from her heightened sense of emotion the first time her powers had erupted from her in what had felt like a purple explosion. If that moment hadn't have happened, would he have murdered her like her parents? She tried to hold back a shudder then as her thoughts were interrupted by Lucas's question. In part, she felt guilty for thinking about Nicholas in Lucas's place, but then no matter how hard she tried, she could never truly banish him from her thoughts completely.

"No, I'm okay, thanks," she responded after a moment, unhooking her hands from her pockets and wandering over to the sofa, where she plopped herself down next to the files that both her and Lucas had placed there. Much like Lucas, Kaya often forgot to eat throughout the day and she probably should have been hungry, but there were so many thoughts and feelings rushing through her mind as a fallout from the day she couldn't even begin to think about food. Instead, she pulled off her shoes without much thought and settled into the cushions, legs crossed beneath her. She was flicking through pages of paper when she felt Lucas approach from the side, his warm hand pulling her own thin fingers into his grasp. Kaya exhaled softly as she used her other hand to trace the skin on top of his fingers, as she listened to words which she knew were designed to make her feel better. But despite Lucas's intent, he knew as much as Kaya that she always struggled to switch off from a case, this was being no different. She lived and breathed her work whenever she could and sometimes it took Lucas taking charge to stop her from wearing herself out. As she felt his hand stroking her face, Kaya simply leaned into his fingers, her eyes fluttering closed as she allowed herself a moment of solace.

"I wish my mind had an off switch," she smiled after a moment, reopening her eyes to meet Lucas's gaze as she placed her hand over his. "I can't stop thinking about everything that happened today. There were so many times that one of us nearly got hurt, seriously hurt. I don't know what I'd do if..." Kaya let her voice trail away then as she dropped her hand back to her side along with her gaze. She had been beating herself up since the interrogation over the numerous mistakes she'd made today and now that she sat alone with Lucas her vulnerabilities were just beginning to show. "It's just all a bit of a mess, isn't it?" She smiled again then, albeit a little sadly before pushing the file in her lap back onto the sofa. She was in no mind to really think about the case properly right now. So instead, she turned her attention back to her companion, her perfect distraction. Her expression softened as she as she met his gaze, taking in the brightness of his smile. If she could bottle some of his happiness she was sure that she would be addicted in a heartbeat.

"No more case talk. Luke, I need you to distract me."

The night passed by with a whirlwind of passion. Lucas and Kaya spent the majority of the night connecting both physically and mentally. There’s just something about making love that causes you to grow attached to a person. Shortly after Kaya had entered the shower, there was a loud ring that dragged Lucas from the depths of a peaceful slumber.

As his eyes flickered between the realms of reality and fantasy, the ringing beside him became evermore so apparent. Rolling over to his side, the male reached for his phone sitting by the nightstand. Lucas recognized the number as being from Thea. In that moment, he realized that it must’ve been time. Clicking the power button, the male silenced the call and set his phone on do not disturb before putting it back on the table. Given his occupation, Lucas never puts his phone on mute despite how much he wanted to. The reason being that he never knows when or where he’ll ever be needed. But today was different. Unlike the typical day, Lucas knew exactly what the calls will entail and he was determined to keep Kaya away from it.

The faint sounds of the shower in the distance drew Lucas’ attention to the empty space beside him. It was then that he also noticed Kaya’s phone situated nearby. At that moment, it too began to ring. After checking to make sure that Kaya was still in the bathroom, Lucas leaped across the bed to silence the call as well. Glancing briefly at the lock screen, Lucas could see that she’d already had two miss calls from Thea. As much as he wanted to, he knew that it wouldn’t be wise to set Kaya’s phone on mute. Even though he knew the password, Lucas was aware that Kaya would notice almost immediately. All he could do was delete any history of there being a call and hope that there won’t be another one.

After putting the phone back to its original place, Lucas rolled back to his spot in the bed. He would pick up his phone again and proceed to type a message to an unknown individual. His heart was immediately filled with guilt over what he was doing. He’d criticized Kaya for keeping secrets from him but yet, here he is doing the same thing. All Lucas could think about was how Kaya would react by the time she finds out. There’s no doubt that the anger would be immeasurable. But Lucas would be glad to take the brunt of it if it means that Kaya can finally be at peace with her past. It hurts Lucas to know that his action will potentially cause a wave of rage and sorrow in Kaya. However, it would be worth it if it means that she could finally lay her past demons to rest. Without that man, she’ll finally be able to move on.

But is he really doing this all just for Kaya? Lucas couldn’t help but wonder if part of the reasoning for his actions had derived from some personal vendetta against Nicholas Britton. He thought back to the Marks home where he’d felt a sudden impulse to strike the male. Those several punches may have seem necessary but the truth was that Lucas had wanted to hurt Nicholas as much as he wanted him caught. Now was not the time for such doubts. The day had just started and Lucas must leave room to prepare for what’s to come.

Lucas had been so deep in thought that he almost didn’t notice Kaya coming out of the shower. He would give the female a smile as bright as the morning sun. His eyes would Kaya to her bag as the latter fished out a change of clothes. It would only be a matter of time before Kaya decides that it’s time to report to work. Lucas must find a way to keep her from leaving on time like she always would. Usually, it would be a good thing to arrive at HQ early but today was much more different. If only he could think of some excuse......

A familiar ringing interrupted the thought process of Lucas. Lucas knee instantly as to what the call would be about. Unlike earlier, he knew that it would not be from any of his teammates. Rather, it would be from someone that Lucas actually wants Kaya to speak to.

When Kaya picks up the phone, she would find that the person on the other side wasn’t her teammate, but the Director of the MIB, Lewis Kramer.

Being the most important source of communication between Kaya and the heads of the government, Kramer and Kaya keep in contact regularly as the former is in charge of making sure that all messages are received clearly.

“Miss Reid, this is Director Kramer. We’ve received many compliments regarding your leadership from the MIB division at Reander. As per your team’s request, the committee have decided to award you with a week’s worth of paid leave effective immediately.” There was a brief pause on the other line but not long enough for Kaya to voice any response. “For security purposes, your clearance to MIB will be put on hold until your leave ends. So please take this time to relax and we look forward to your return.” With that, the call ends without so much as a goodbye. The conversation (if you can even call it one) seemed almost robotic as Kramer. It was as if Kramer was reading off a script, although there were some emotion in his voice.

Kaya’s reaction verified to Lucas as to who was on the other line. The male made certain to frame ignorance as he stood up from his bed to approach the female from behind. Placing his hands over her waist, he spoke. “Who was it, Kay?” And per her expression, Lucas found it also necessary to ask the following. “Is everything ok? You seemed a little surprised.”

Last edited:
Completely unaware of what was going on with her team, Kaya returned Lucas's bright smile before she began pulling on her clothes. Her mind wandered over the happenings of their evening together in an attempt to stop other more unpleasant thoughts from entering her mind and as a result she found that there was a constant smirk pulling at the corners of her lips as she tried to nonchalantly fall into their usual morning routine. It was normal for Kaya to feel a little coy after she had spent the evening with Lucas and from this point on they usually fell into some kind of suggestive to and fro to ease the awkwardness she couldn't help but feel. However, this morning seemed different, she thought to herself as she pulled her top over her head, pausing momentarily in her top and pants when she heard her phone ringing from the bedside table.

It was a frown then that replaced Kaya's happier expression as she wandered over to her phone to connect the call, pressing it to her ear to listen. Somewhere, deep down, Kaya had a bad feeling. It wasn't unusual for her team to receive out of hours calls given the very nature of their job but given what had happened the day before and who they were keeping at HQ, she couldn't help but wonder if something bad had happened. As Kramer's voice filled her ears, Kaya paused for just a moment before turning her back to Lucas so that he couldn't see her expression. "Kramer?" But all she could do was listen as his bland tone didn't give her chance to speak, an expression of confusion pulling at her features. No sooner had she picked up the phone was their director hanging up the call, leaving the brunette stood frozen to the spot as she tried to comprehend what he had just said to her. It wasn't unusual for Kramer to call her, they usually kept in regular contact due to the very nature of the cases that Kaya led her team on, however there was nothing usual about the message she had just received. MIB clearance? Paid leave? It was unheard of for Kaya to take any kind of leave, least of all at a time like this, not to mention she simply thought his former of the two statements must be a mistake. If her clearance had been revoked then she couldn't access anything... she was essentially powerless. It was this thought however that jolted Kaya into action, her heartbeat suddenly increasing as something like worry started to course through her.

"It was Kramer," she replied to Lucas as she pulled on her jeans swiftly, moving around the room to gather her things as quickly as she could. She only stopped as she felt Lucas's hands on her waist, pausing for a moment as she pulled back slightly to look at his dozy expression that was now marred with concern. For just a second, she found some semblance of calm as she considered what it would be like to take the leave that had just been offered to her out of the blue. She could take Lucas back to bed and spend the morning in a haze of laziness with him as they made coffee and breakfast around each other. But no sooner had that thought jumped into her mind was it gone again as reality succeeded in replacing the image, her moving swiftly out of Lucas's grasp. She couldn't remember the last time that she had properly relaxed or taken time away from work; she simply didn't know how to do that, she wasn't like normal people after all.

"Yes... No, I don't know," she replied to him eventually as she continued to fill her bag with the few belongings she had brought with her, grabbing her phone from where she had thrown it onto the bed after the call. Quickly, the brunette attempted to call Thea only to find that she was faced with a voicemail rather than the voice of her friend. She attempted just once more only to be met again by the automated voice, before trying the same with both Beth and Isaac, receiving the very same message that had her heart rate increasing further. "That's odd. Thea, Isaac and Beth all have their phones turned off. When do we ever get the chance to turn our phones off?" Kaya moved out of the bedroom then to gather the files that had previously been on the sofa, but now lay in a scattered heap on the floor. "I am surprised. He was offering me a weeks paid leave." She replied to Lucas's question, her thoughts replaying Kramer's voice over and over again in her mind before something caught her attention, her mind focusing on a singular part of the information that their director had provided. As per your team's request... She straightened then, a couple of files still in her hand as she turned to face Lucas. The expression on her face was unreadable as she tried to piece together what was going on. It was highly unusual for someone in a role like Kaya's to be forced into last minute leave, it would leave too many loose ends for the MIB to tie up. At the very least they would usually expect some kind of handover, which led the brunette to believe that there was more going on here than the seemingly kind gesture from her boss.

"You wouldn't happen to know anything about this, would you Luke?" She asked quietly, studying him for a moment before pulling on her shoes, which were in the same place that she had left them the previous evening. "Has Kramer contacted you? He mentioned something about my MIB clearance but I don't know what he means. He must be mistaken... None of this makes any sense. Kramer said that the leave is a reward for some compliments the committee have received? I can't just take leave right now, he should know that. There's far too much going on." As she searched around the flat for Lucas's car keys, she eventually found them in his jacket pocket, her thoughts racing before they eventually fell to Nicholas. What did this all mean for Nicholas?

"I need to get to HQ, are you coming?"

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back