• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern A Book to the Head

Edric Blight

HE SHOOTS! HE SCOOOOORES!
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)

Roleplay with elytra elytra

A Book to the Head​

Chase Crosby

8CAC6C8F-E70E-4DD1-BD0D-295781106275.jpeg

It was just a day like any other day in history class. For 17 year old high school junior, Chase Crosby, nothing seemed too out of the ordinary. The brown haired boy was at the top of his game, one of the most popular and good looking kids in the school as well as the star of the high school’s beloved ice hockey team. Of course, those good looks and hockey skills brought Chase some benefits- pretty girls, and lots of them trying to get a piece of the Crosby charm.

With all those good looks and athletic talent, who could blame the Crosby boy for being a little confident, arrogant and cocky even? He was a good kid at heart but the game admittedly got to his head quite a bit. He seemed to love every minute of pretty girls flirting with him and swooning over him. In history class, he was no different, and it was obvious that a group of girls had flocked to Chase to flirt with him as he smirked and arrogantly bragged about his performance in last night’s game.

To who ever was sitting behind the hockey boy at the moment, it must have been annoying to listen too, maybe even gag inducing. Chase just wore an arrogant smirk as he pushed back his soft brown hair with his fingers as he ran them through as he leaned back in his chair, continuing to brag about the hockey game last night he had performed so well in and entertain the girls by answering their questions.

Chase Crosby was the captain of the high school’s hockey team. In the area where the high school was located, hockey was quite a popular sport, and the ice hockey team was beloved by the whole school. A well-funded program, the ice hockey team competed at the top level in terms of the surrounding high schools. Chase was at the very center of it all, their beloved captain, having stuck with it all ever since he was a high school freshman. But now, junior year was soon coming to an end, but the flirtatious girls approaching Chase were not. So, of course, the boy milked it, grinning as he was given all this attention during independent work time.

Robyn Ferth wasn't a fan of high school.

Well, okay. She was fine with the concept of high school. To be completely honest, as nerdy as it sounded, she enjoyed learning things. Not all things- maths could rot in hell, for all she cared -but it was better than doing nothing. She'd been able to take AP environmental science as an elective and AP computer science as another, both of which were currently carrying her enjoyment of education on their backs. She was pretty sure she'd withstand a whole day of mathematical nonsense for that.

That said, there was some nonsense of the non-mathematical kind she couldn't stand for. Actually, nonsense that wasn't of academic importance at all. She could handle whatever classes could throw at her- pop quizzes and homework were nothing that couldn't be sorted. People, however? Yea, she wasn't a fan.

Maybe that sounded a little mean of her. She was willing to admit that. It was just that socially? She'd sooner swallow a week-past-expiration carton of milk that be forced to associate with most people at her school. Frankly, she had every right to say that, too, considering the way they acted. She wasn't trying to be cynical; fact of the matter was, most of them were complete assholes half of the time, and the other half of the time they were about as bland as a wet piece of cardboard.

Robyn had been put on projects with popular kids before and it had never gone well. Most of the time they just messed around and left her to pick up the slack, and the rest of the time their ideas were just bad. If there was anything worse than being a complete prick, it was having absolutely no personality to make being a complete prick worth interacting with.

Case and point: the guy in front of her. She wasn't sure who he was exactly- some guy on the sports teams, certainly, but beyond that? She hadn't been paying attention during the roll call other than her name. She was fairly sure his name started with a C, perhaps even a Ch. Her best guess at the moment was 'Chad', but that wasn't sitting right. What she did know was that whoever he was, he was being loud. And, okay, look: she could take someone being loud. She wasn't completely intolerant. But she had things to be doing, things that weren't going to get done with the incessant yammering that was ongoing.

She'd managed to ignore it for the first 5 minutes, but her resolve had failed soon after that. She wasn't a saint. She could admit that too. So, it was little surprise to her at least when she found herself lifting up one of the soft-covered marbled notebooks she had and lobbing it right at the head of the jock. Not too hard, obviously, she wasn't an idiot, but enough to hopefully get him to shut his mouth. She could have done worse, right? She had some pretty nasty textbooks in her backpack.

"Mind letting the rest of us actually work, or are you determined for everyone to be dragged to your grade level?" Okay, she wasn't sure what his grades were, but if he acted like this all the time? They couldn't be good.

Chase felt he was at the top of his game, so why stop while he was ahead. He leaned back in his chair and smirked as the few pretty girls surrounding him swooned over him and flirted with him. Of course, he welcomed all of their questions about his hockey games, answering them and not wasting any time to paint himself in an even better life.

To the person sitting behind all this though, trying to work on the class work, it was irritating. The yammering and stupid silly high school flirting was cringe worthy and enough to make an annoyed onlooker seethe. The brown haired brown eyed boy leaned back a bit in his seat, nodding as he answered a question. “Heh yea, it was my third of the night, not really that hard to score though when you’re getting hot in the game. It was an easy goal, I guess,” Chase said, shrugging casually as he bragged by acting like his achievement was nothing and was an easy feat.

The couple of pretty girls surrounding Chase just giggled and swooned over the dashing high school athlete. Of course, Crosby loved this, smirking arrogantly as they gushed over him. He wasn’t expecting anything to disrupt this moment, but that’s just what happened, and in the most unexpected way possible.

Suddenly, Chase felt a bit of a sharp pain in the back of his head. “Ow!” yelped the hockey boy as he quickly rubbed the back of his head and turned around. “Hey! What the hell? What gives?!” Chase demanded to know. He furrowed his brow angrily but then raised one of them in confusion as he saw a girl he was pretty sure he was too popular to have heard of. The pretty girls just widened their eyes with surprise, shocked anyone would throw a book to the head of one of the most good looking and popular kids in school.

He raised his eyebrows, surprised at the girl’s bold yet combative statement. “And who even are you?” scoffed Chase. “I have great grades for your information, so if anything I’m sure everyone would love to be on my grade level,” he said arrogantly with a smirk, causing the pretty girls who were flirting with him to giggle at his retort.

Last edited:
Robyn was, in a word, unimpressed. Really, she could've done without the commentary if she were being honest; she hadn't been looking for a fight and had no desire to participate in one. It was just that he didn't seem the sort of guy to take politely asking well, so she'd resorted to plan b: violence. She rolled her eyes with a sigh, face propped up on her hand and elbow on the top of her desk, waiting for him to stop talking. She was rude, but not rude enough to interrupt.

"Look, man, I really don't care." She spoke plainly, her tone implying she was telling the truth. "I don't know who you are, you don't know who I am, whatever. Doesn't matter. You could be cheating on all your work, because clearly you aren't actually doing it during class." She shrugged her shoulders, leaning back in her chair and crossing her arms. "I just need you to shut up, personally. Thanks in advance."

Simple enough. Worst came to worst, she had more books. Maybe she'd aim at different people or something. She could see it going like throwing a rock into a crowd of pigeons, where they all dispersed in a mild panic and went their separate ways to bother other people. Not that she'd ever throw something at birds. Personally, she liked birds. She wouldn't harass them like that. People, however? Completely different tale, as was obvious by the current circumstances.

Chase raised an eyebrow a bit, the smirk slowly fading off of his face as he noticed the girl's reaction. An eye roll... A simple eye roll? That was all? He was one of the most good looking and popular boys in school and this unpopular girl he had barely ever heard of just simply scoffed and rolled her eyes, seeming like she didn't care that he had just said all that? In high school, most kids knew it was a social death sentence to act this way in the presence of who was deemed the "popular kids" the the social structure of the school. If there was a totem pole, Chase was at the top as a good looking jock. It was the long established order in any average high school. Many dared not challenge the petty "social classes" of high school. To Chase, he certainly was surprised that his words as well as his status alone weren't enough to shut the girl up or make her quickly apologetic.

It was plain and simple though- she didn't care at all, and she had made that abundantly clear to Chase in that moment. Chase's smirk was long gone now as he looked both shocked and almost appalled that someone like this girl over here would say these things to him. Clearly, the pretty girls who were just flirting with Chase in class were even more shocked, their eyes wide and mouths zipped shut with surprised, sitting there like a stunned deer in the head lights. But Chase realized he couldn't appear shaken or like this silly girl had broken his confidence.

The boy tried to regain his almost arrogant confidence as he mustered a little smirk. "Say, what's your name anyways?" he asked, almost in an amused tone, grinning, as if he were impressed Robyn had stood up to him in this manner. "I must say, you've got a lot of guts for someone I've never even heard of," he said softly with a slight chuckle and a smile. It seemed that the pretty girls previously flirting with him were still sitting there in silence, stunned and wide eyed, almost comically. Chase had now adjusted himself so that he was sitting backwards on his chair, smirking as he faced Robyn directly, his arms resting on the back support of the chair of the desk. She didn't intimidate him and he wanted her to know it. It was all so very petty on Chase's part, but he didn't care. He was a part of the high school system.

Okay. Clearly he wasn't getting what the crux of the conversation was.

It was like beating a dead horse. He mostly seemed to put all his weight into bringing up status- the fact that he didn't know who she was, for example, seemed to be a wildly important point to him. To her, it wasn't. Like, she really didn't care one way or another if he knew who she was; actually, if anything, she was happier with him not knowing. It wasn't irritating as much as it was tiring, watching him act as if he'd made some grand point that was about to make her apologize or something.

"Are you illiterate too, or is, like, just a verbal conversation sort of thing?" The comment was offhand; she'd gone back to looking down at her sheet, beginning to go back to doing her work.

The longer she focused on him entirely, the less time she was working on what was actually important. She'd already finished most of it, to be honest. The next step was checking her work meticulously to make sure everything looked as it should. It didn't take much brain power to wave the boy in front of her off, so she figured she could multitask. Besides, she didn't really think he deserved her full attention as-is.

"I'll assume you are, so to reiterate, I don't know who you are. Also don't care either, to be clear." She really, really didn't.
"So I'm not gonna introduce myself. Thanks, though."

Woah. That was unexpected. Chase certainly wasn’t expecting such a snappy response with such attitude, and hell, she hadn’t even introduced herself. The athlete boy raised his eyebrows and widened his eyes a bit, taken back and stunned in silence at Robyn’s reaction. This girl wasn’t taking any of his shit. It was at this point that the girls previously flirting with Chase had decided they had enough. They were both wide eyed and shocked, turning around and acting like they had never been flirting with Chase and returning to their independent work.

The eyebrows raised a bit more as he realized the girl had stopped giving him his attention and returning back down to her work as she made her sassy comment. After what seemed like an hour of silence but in reality was really only thirty seconds, Chase spoke again but this time, the arrogant smirk he wore was gone, and it didn’t seem like he could get it back. No, he looked shocked, maybe even a bit offended and taken back.

“Who the hell even are you?” snapped back Chase as he furrowed his brow and scrunched his face up. “You’ve got a lot of nerve, don’t you?” said Chase, puffing out his chest to seem all “macho” and “tough guy.” He sat up a bit straighter in his seat now as he opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by another voice as his eyes widened.

“Mr. Crosby… Ms. Ferth… what is going on here? To my knowledge I said this independent work time volume was supposed to be a normal speaking voice, almost a hushed whisper. What are you two on about?” asked their history teacher, Mr. Mayfield. Mr. Mayfield was a known enjoyer of sports, particularly hockey, and often spoke with and seemingly favored the boys on the high school’s hockey team. Chase quickly turned around in his seat and attempted to put on the classic innocent act.

“Mr. Mayfield! You know me, I do my work. In fact I was doing my work quietly but Ms.- err, she,said Chase, pausing since he didn’t quite know the girl’s first name and didn’t feel she deserved the dignity of him calling her by her last name. “Decided she’d start something, sir. She threw a book at the back of my head, Mr. Mayfield!” Chase complained and whined, throwing up his hands. Of course that book throw was provoked, but Chase certainly was milking it like she was completely in the wrong and he wasn’t at all. He played the perfect golden boy innocent act, no way Mr. Mayfield would not believe the captain of the high school’s beloved hockey team.

Mr. Mayfield crossed his arms and tapped his foot, looking annoyed at Robyn as he raised an eyebrow, looking rather impressed with the girl. “Ms. Ferth this is outrageous, did you throw a book at Chase’s head? Are you kidding me?” Mr. Mayfield asked, irritatedly awaiting a response from the girl.

Right. So he was a snitch, too. Even worse, a snitch that lied.

Robyn looked at Chase, expression flat, before her gaze shifted to the teacher. Mr. Mayfield wasn't about to take her side in this. No matter what cards she pulled, she'd likely be the one to receive all the blame. Circumstance really didn't matter when a member of some sports team was whining about something. Clearly, nothing else mattered.

So, that in mind? Might as well be truthful.

She propped up her chin on the palm of her hand comfortably, shrugging her shoulders at the accusation. "No, sir, I don't believe anyone's kidding you." she confirmed easily, not bothering to cover up anything. "I'll confirm that I threw a book at his head. But I'm gonna have to deny the accusations that I 'decided to start something'. Oh, and that he was doing his work quietly. Just in the name of honesty and all, I would say I generally don't throw books at people unless they're interrupting my studies."

It wouldn't help. She knew that well enough. Sighing, she snapped her workbook shut, pencil stuck in the page to keep her place. "Alright, so, should I take a jaunt down to the principals office, or...? I'm cool with any way you want to do it. I mean, I'll get more done in the waiting room than I will here. It'll be quieter, probably."

As Mr. Mayfield was glaring down at Robyn, Chase took this opportunity to smirk and cross his arms, grinning stupidly like he had just accomplished something. But his smirk slowly faded as he raised his eyebrows in surprise with her seemingly unphased and hell, even snarky, reaction. Chase watched on surprised as his eyes went up from Mr. Mayfield’s face to Robyn’s. Mr. Mayfield didn’t seem so thrilled or impressed though as he tapped his foot slowly and crossed his arms.

Chase was seething a bit internally. Truthfully he had wanted her to be finally put in her place, and who better to do it than a figure of authority like a teacher, but even Robyn seemed unaffected by this. Chase just looked a bit stunned as Mr. Mayfield sighed. Chase couldn’t believe the sassy retort Robyn had given the teacher. The history teacher cleared his throat, remaining calm. “No…” he said softly, “But I do have another plan.” Mr. Mayfield said.

“Ms. Ferth, Mr. Crosby, I want you both to see me after class,” he said, causing Chase’s eyes to widen. “Ms. Ferth,” he said looking down at the female now. “I expect you to apologize in front of me face to face with Mr. Crosby here and tell him that you are sorry and why for throwing a book at his head young lady,” he said, speaking in a firm tone. Chase was still stunned, but this time in a different way. He couldn’t believe the teacher was making Robyn apologize to him directly and things were going his way so well.

Was this a victory for Chase? Possibly, he thought. But he was still shocked Mr. Mayfield was going to force a face to face apology to him out of Robyn. “Now, I expect not a word from you two until the end of class,” finished Mr. Mayfield as he turned around and went to sit at his desk. “Yessir,” said Chase quickly in response to this, playing the innocent and obedient golden boy as per usual. He then glared back at Robyn as soon as Mr. Mayfield had returned to his seat.

An apology? That seemed lackluster.

Seriously, she could do that. She wasn't going to do it honestly, but it wasn't like the teacher could very well force it out of her. She'd say sorry, spout some random bullshit about why, then be on her merry way. Really, it was better than other alternatives. There had been detention or suspension or what-have-you on the table, and she'd truly thought one of them was going to happen; she'd ace this and be on her merry way.

The guy glared at her. She shrugged her shoulders nonchalantly, returning to her work. Robyn had gotten what she wanted: a quiet class period.

Once it was over, she put her stuff away, shrugging her bag onto her shoulder and heading to the front of the class. She waited patiently at the desk, rolling her shoulders a bit to relieve some tension that had come from sitting down. There was a time she'd done acting. Surely there was enough talent from that left over to get a apology out and be on her merry way. All she needed was the recipient to be present and then it was a done deal.

Chase raised an eyebrow as Robyn seemed, again, mostly unfazed by her punishment. But how? He wondered.... That just HAD to be degrading, he thought to himself. He knew he'd personally be seething with anger if he were forced to make some stupid ass apology in front of the teacher. It was odd to him, she was acting TOO cool. Did she really not care that much, or was this just the "I'm a badass" act? Chase didn't know, which only made him more mad ironically. And she was the one supposed to be mad and here he was seething in rage in his own head. He just sighed and shook his head as he returned to his work. Maybe he'd "have his day" during her actual apology after class.

He sure stayed quiet for the rest of class, unbeknownst to the boy, exactly what the female wanted. Soon, after a while of now quiet independent work, history class eventually ended. Mr. Mayfield stood up at his desk and glared at Chase and Robyn, specifically Robyn, motioning for the two students to come up to his desk as the rest of the class filed out of the room like usual. "Ms. Ferth, I suspect you have an apology ready for Mr. Crosby here?" Mr. Mayfield asked as he raised an eyebrow looking over at Robyn. Chase just stood there, crossing his arms and expecting a good apology, in all honesty trying not to smirk arrogantly as he felt he was quite going to enjoy this. But he didn't want to look like he was enjoying this TOO much.

Alright. Show time.

Robyn plastered on a bright smile. It was the sort of customer-service look she used when working at the movie theater during the summer months; well-worn during times where customers would demand refunds because they were allergic to the butter in the buttered popcorn they'd just ordered. Mr. Mayfield and Whats-His-Face were nothing more than disgruntled customers who needed to be assured they were always right. Then? She'd be on her way.

"Of course." Not a sincere one, but she certainly had one in a general sense. "I'm very sorry for throwing a book at your head when you wouldn't be quiet during the quiet learning time. It was clearly the wrong way to go about it. Next time, I'll be certain to instead use my words instead of projectiles."

Partially honest, at least. She didn't plan to throw a book again. Apparently, that didn't work. Getting jocks to shut up was a matter of trial and error, it seemed, and this was the 'error' part of it. Part of her wondered if simply snitching would work, but she got the feeling that Mr. Jock would be let off the hook instantly and back to annoying her. She'd have to mull it over.

Mr. Mayfield watched on, raising a suspicious eyebrow at Robyn as he watched on, initially mostly unimpressed. Meanwhile, Chase was trying his very hardest to suppress one of the biggest shit-eating grins ever. He couldn’t look like he was enjoying this, although of course he had to admit to himself that he was. Now it was time to see if the girl would actually cave in and apologize to him and what that would look like.

Chase raised his eyebrows and grinned ever so slightly as he heard the words “I’m very sorry,” from her mouth. How pleasing it was to him to hear this, the hockey boy getting somewhat of a sick thrill and amusement with the girl being forced to apologize to him in front of the teacher. But his eyes widened a bit as she went on, calling him out for talking during quiet work time.

Sure, he was most definitely chatting it up and flirting with girls during class time that was supposed to be allotted for quiet independent work time, but Chase didn’t want to admit that he was clearly in the wrong here too. Chase was stunned but tried to play it cool for two reasons- one being he couldn’t show Robyn she’d gotten to him a little with her words and two, he didn’t want Mr. Mayfield to start questioning him and going over the fact he wasn’t necessarily following the rules during quiet work time.

Chase just did his best to stifle and reaction of surprise or annoyance as he kept his mouth shut and nodded, gulping down any retort he had in his mind. Mr. Mayfield who stood there during the apology with his arms crossed, uncrossed his arms and sighed. “Erm, interesting apology to say the least, Ms. Ferth, but I do feel you learned your lesson,” said the history teacher. “You may go now, just don’t let it happen again.” Mr. Mayfield warned.

For Chase, this meant war. No way he as a popular jock, good looking and generally well-liked boy, and talented ice hockey player for their high school was going to let some random girl he’d never even heard of or to his knowledge, seen, show him up or get sassy with him. While Robyn had apologized, she sure didn’t waste time in hiding some small jabs at Chase in there. No, to Chase, this wasn’t the end of this. He’d make her pay and irritate her anyway he could until she maybe eventually turned around or at least respected whatever high status Chase believed was important that he had.

“You too Mr. Crosby, you may go,” said the sports loving history professor. “And of course, best of luck to you and all of the ice hockey boys with your upcoming game,” said Mr. Mayfield with a soft smile and a nod. Chase nodded and formed a pleasant smile as he gave a small wave goodbye. “Yea, thanks Mr. Mayfield,” replied Chase as he left the room. But he had his sights set on a new battle, a battle off the ice. A very petty battle- him vs. Robyn Ferth. No he wasn’t going to bully her, as much of a pretentious jock he was, he wasn’t that much of an asshole. But he’d attempt to irritate her in ways that aren’t too obvious but could slowly get under one’s skin. The boy hoped to make her regret ever having attitude to the leading goal scorer of their high school’s ice hockey team.

Despite being off the hook for one incident, on the next? Robyn wasn't so lucky.

It wasn't like she set out to cause trouble. It was never on the forefront of her mind. Instead, it was just a thing that happened, something she couldn't seem to avoid. Sure, no detention happened from her throwing a book, but every teacher was different. Later in the day. she'd made the mistake of telling a guy to shove it, which turned out to be a bigger crime to her science teacher than throwing the book had been. She'd been given the choice between working an event or detention, and in a moment of quick thinking she'd chosen the event.

That had been a mistake.

She ended up working a hockey game, which hadn't been too bad at first, but had gotten worse at clean up. The expectation was that the people would've been the worst part yet it was only when everyone except the team was gone that it got tedious. The other people who'd been helping ditched early, leaving her to help the cleaning crew with cleaning the stands. Detention would've been kinder.

"Fuck." She hit her head as she got up from the ground, rubbing where the metal had slammed into her with one hand while the other held a piece of trash that had been left behind.

Taking a deep breath, she got her composure back. It was almost over. Then, she could go home, rest, and never have to do this again. Lesson learned, for sure. The game hadn't even been that interesting, frankly; hockey was better than some other sports, but none of them ever held her attention for long. She much preferred being involved in things rather than just watching them.

After school, the hockey team had a game. The high school had a small “stadium,” if you could call it that (it was more like a little area off to the side of the school with the ice rink and a bunch of bleachers), where the ice hockey team would play at the ice rink there. The high school’s ice hockey team had a bit of a following and typically show up to these games was bit in terms of high school ice hockey in the small town. Because of this, the ice hockey team players were popular local celebrities within the school. One person who certainly was the man of the hour was the captain- Chase Crosby.

Chase was never one to shy away from the spotlight. In fact, he loved it and soaked up every second of it. Being the good looking, leading goal scorer on the team, AND the captain certainly had its perks at this high school. Today after school for the game, the rink’s bleachers were pretty much filled with a bunch of the students. They’d played a good game, winning 3-1. Chase of course had himself a goal in the game. But now the high of the win was starting to die down as the once filled and cheering crowd was no filing out and leaving the rink. And with it, they left their trash for the clean up crew to pick up….

As Chase was helping his teammates take some of their sticks and other equipment off of the ice, he raised an eyebrow, noticing a certain someone picking up trash with a frustrated look on her face. She looked familiar… it was the girl from history class who he had only found out existed today! The same one who threw a book at the back of his head! Chase was intrigued now. The cocky part of him thought that she must’ve not been able to stay away from him, but this was a stupid assumption. Soon, the rest of Chase teammates skated off of the ice after the win, Chase telling them he’d meet them in the locker room shortly.

Now with the hockey team in the locker room, the only ones in the stadium were Chase and Robyn, Robyn in the student section bleachers near one of the rink doors and Chase on the ice. Chase noticed her, but she didn’t seemed to notice nor care about him. He just had to see what the girl was doing here. She couldn’t possibly have cared about the high school’s ice hockey team, could she? Maybe Chase would take less of a combative approach with her. As much as he was an arrogant jock at times, he was secretly a bit of a kind and friendly softie. He just tended not to let that show, especially not in public. But it was just him and her right now.

Chase quickly skated towards the doors of the rink and opened them, it surely making a noise that might’ve caught Robyn’s attention. Once the hockey team’s captain opened the door, he stepped off the rink and imo the student section. The boy then removed his helmet, letting his soft brown hair flow. It was a bit sweaty from the game, but still looked good. He smiled a bit as he leaned on the glass and looked at Robyn. “You didn’t strike me as the type, didn’t know you liked hockey,” he said softly. He hadn’t meant any harm by this and it was almost as if he were trying to start fresh. Or maybe it was because he didn’t need to act like a big popular jerk since no one was around right now.….

Robyn had been positive she'd been the only one left. Really, there had been no reason for anyone else to be around, since she was the last worker in the rink area; she assumed that the players would want to be in the lockers as soon as possible. She would want to be, certainly. She couldn't imagine sticking around in the whole skating getup personally. The jersey on its own seemed cumbersome in her minds eye.

Yet, she heard the door open, and when she looked up she found it was the boy from earlier. The one she'd thrown a book at. Who she'd gotten in trouble. Great, that was sort of her luck, wasn't it? She knew he'd played a sport just by looking at him, but it hadn't crossed her mind that it'd be this sport. She stood up straight, eyeing him warily to try and gauge why he was coming over. There was no doubt she was on his shit list, so what could he have to say to her?

She barely managed to hide her surprise when the query wasn't as aggressive as she imagined. For a moment, she considered her options. She could be mean anyway, make a biting remark before he could, or she could return the energy. Be nice. Engage in some civil conversation. The more grudge-bearing part of her wanted to be a brat, but she ended up beating it down in favor of not being bitter. Besides, she was a little curious how it would go.

"It's not the worst." She allowed, shrugging her shoulders, before raising a crumpled bag of Doritos. "But I'm actually engaging in my own sport called 'cleaning up trash in the bleachers', which is clearly far more exciting, sorry to say."

The captain of the hockey team casually leaned up against the rink. There was a large embroidered letter C right on the chest of his jersey to denote his status as so. Chase had less of a reason to be his cocky almost asshole-like self to the girl now considering no one was around. Maybe he could let his guard down and be himself- a boy that was deep down underneath the arrogance- a nice and friendly kid.

But her comment about picking up trash being far more exciting than a hockey game, which in all honesty was pretty action packed, reminded him of why he wasn’t exactly fond of Robyn. Her comment about the sport he loved to play admittedly rubbed him the wrong way a bit, but he wasn’t going to let her see that. Instead, he just raised his eyebrow and grinned like he didn’t care too much about what she had just said.

Chase rolled his eyes and scoffed a little bit, a small grin visible on his face, like this was amusing to him. “Hmm, fair enough,” he replied softly, “Eh, but I can’t say I’m surprised…” he went on to say, a playful smirk developing on his face. “I don’t really see your type as one that would enjoy let alone understand the game,” he said casually with an innocent shrug. It was Chase’s way at maybe using some sort of reverse psychology? Or at least to now rub HER the wrong way a little bit,

'Your type', huh? She raised both eyebrows, wondering what exactly her type was. No malice towards the term, really- she'd gotten over herself a while ago in terms of people seeing her as being a little weird -but it was always interesting to figure out what people thought of her. It varied sometimes. She'd once been told she gave off 'serial killer vibes', which had been probably the worst one. She'd given it a bit of a eyeroll when it had been said.

"Sports aren't really my thing unless we're talking timber sports. I'd rather watch the hot saw than high school stuff." She elaborated, part of her focus returning to picking up the litter. "Could understand it all, but I don't really wanna use the brain space if I'm not gonna participate in it. Sitting in stands is way too unactive for me to get behind."

She crouched down, grabbing another couple of bags, before tossing them towards the trash can she'd been dragging around. Score. That was a few more down and probably a lot to go. Maybe if she left it a bit dirty, no one would notice. The thought was quickly batted away, because she didn't want to risk being sent back to do cleaning again. She didn't think she could stand that. She might just die of boredom.

In a pause of work, she glanced over her shoulder at Chase, letting herself grin in return. Might as well stay friendly.
"I was being sarcastic, though. I don't think anyone finds picking up trash actually fun. If I did, I'd be here actually volunteering instead of forced."

Chase raised a curious eyebrow. His face showed a mixture of slight confusion but also slight amusement. “Timber sports, eh?” he asked with a small grin, “Can’t say I’ve really ever heard someone say they were into that before,” he told her. “And sure, what we do here is high school hockey, but it’s actually really intense despite being on the high school level. Plus, you probably know hockey’s huge in this state. We turn it up to another level here in high school hockey in this state,” he pointed out.

She was here picking up trash against her own will? So that explained why she was here… she was probably being punished and made to pick up the trash during and after the evening’s hockey game. Chase didn’t really think someone like her would be sticking around to watch a hockey game on her own time. Hell, it was probably his doing that got her here and serving this punishment in the first place. Did he feel a little bit bad for her? Maybe, but this was his goal, right? To “come out on top?”

It was nice to know she was being admittedly sarcastic. He couldn’t imagine that picking up trash was any fun, even if she really truly didn’t find any enjoyment out of watching the hockey game. “It’s a bit of a stretch, I’ll admit, but maybe one day you should come along with a friend or two to watch one of our games. I can guarantee it’s a lot more fun when you’re with people and actually watching the action, not on the side picking up trash,” he said with a friendly grin. Could it be that it was finally settling in, that he felt a bit bad for admittedly being a big asshole and getting her in trouble while he walked away completely free of the blame (some of which he did deserve in the whole history class situation)?

Whatever the reason, Robyn could clearly see Chase was much more friendly and actually not unbearable to talk to when he was being his normal self. When the veil of cockiness was dropped. Chase sighed, seeing it from her perspective for a bit- or at least trying to and showing some empathy. “But, I guess I can understand not really being into sports. It really isn’t for everyone, and it’s not a bad thing,” he said. “Sure, I eat live and breathe sports, but not everyone’s wired like that,” he said. “I’d say though give it a try maybe.” he said with a nice grin. “I’m sure you’ve got some friends, right? Maybe they’re into hockey? Go see a game with them. It’ll be a much more fitting and fun way to actually enjoy the game,” suggested Chase.

Really trying to sell her on this hockey thing, huh? She got it. People generally wanted other people interested in the things they were interested in, even if they were practically strangers. Easier to interact if you were on the same page. It was about sharing some sort of middle ground; otherwise, what would you talk about? The weather? Small talk was worse than silence, in her opinion. Filling silence shouldn't be a necessity.

That said, she unfortunately wasn't a sports person. Her dad was, but she couldn't get into it. The only reason she watched timber sports was because they were, in a word, insane- the hot saw had people making their own chainsaws. That interested her simply due to the fact it was fun to imagine making your own chainsaw of all things. It was the oddness of the whole thing that attracted her rather than the sport itself.

Other sports didn't hold the same weight. She didn't like just sitting and watching, didn't have the attention span for it. Sitting just to watch other people do something just seemed silly; if she were going to be involved in sports, she'd fare much better with playing than watching. She had the same opinion of cooking shows, where she didn't understand the joy in finding someone else cook if she couldn't do it herself. It was weird to try to imagine sitting still for a long time just watching other people do things. To each their own, of course, she didn't think watching sports was stupid. It just wasn't for her.

He was being better than most people, though. Seemed to get that sports weren't everyone's cup of tea. She wasn't petty enough to say she didn't respect him a little for that. Took some sort of self awareness to know and understand not everyone would be into the same thing you were.

"I'm a hands on sort of person." She decided to elaborate, doing some jazz hands to punctuate the statement as she said it. "Would rather be doing something, you know? Otherwise I zone. Would end up missing most of the games if I decided to spectate, even if there's action. Can't watch movies in theaters, either, so it's not just sports."

She crouched down, tilting herself to look under the stands to see if she missed anything. Had to get the job done right if she didn't want to get knocked for it. "And unfortunately, the few friends I have aren't sports people either. More the hiking-together sort than the watching-sports-together sort, yea? Catching insects rather than catching the game." Stupid joke, she'd really need to workshop her commentary. She hadn't been expecting a conversation. "Not knocking sports. I'd probably do better if I were involved on the player side instead, but I have other extracurriculars that take up my time, so I really haven't thought about it much."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back