Status
Not open for further replies.

Locke9558

Locke
Title: Fall of the Republic
Game: D&D 5E - Discord
Player Count: 4-5 depending on interest
Description:
Welcome to Rome! Buckle up there's a lot of info here.

This campaign will take place in a world modeled after Rome around oh let's say 73-44 BCE (Think Spartacus's Revolt till the death of Caesar). I intend to stick with the broad sweeps of the history of the time as much as is possible/realistic. Players will have a chance to influence and/or decide the outcomes of certain events along the way. Examples of events I'm planning on diving into include the aforementioned Revolt of Spartacus, Caesar's Gallic Campaigns, and the Civil War between Caesar and the Senate. I'm open to suggestions though as to what we get involved in along the way if you have them. PCs will be welcome to choose which side of the fight they want to be on in all cases. You're welcome to side with the Romans against Spartacus, Vercingetorix against Caesar, make your own faction and take on both Caesar and the Senate, whatever. My interest is in exploring the setting and seeing where we can take it, not just going on a walking tour of Caesar's military career. Though if you guys want to do just that, that's cool too.

Please don't feel like you need to be an expert on this time period to join the campaign. I'm certainly not one. If all you know is that Rome is in Italy and that Caesar has a salad dressing named after him, that's fine. Though if exploring Roman History and getting to know people like Pompey the Great, Julius Caesar, Cicero, Spartacus, Vercingetorix, Marc Antony, and so on sounds kinda boring, this may not be the campaign for you. Players will be starting out as slaves in a gladiatorial ring where they'll be given some choices that will quickly lead to the breakout of the Spartacus's Revolt. Up to you guys what side of that you want to end up on.

In many ways though this will be fairly standard DnD. There will still be dragons, orcs, elves, magic, gods, and all that. The Greek/Roman Pantheon will be the primary deities - for example, Zeus/Jupiter, and Poseidon/Neptune. I'm planning on having certain regions of the world carry higher concentrations of the more standard races. For example, Gaul will be primarily habited by various dwarf clans, and Greece will be the primary homeland of the Dragonborn. Once the party is put together I'll have some resources I'll publish to describe these things in more detail.

Character Creation: I want everyone to roll for stats, think it's more fun that way. You can roll twice and keep which stat array you like more. All official sources are allowed, but if you want to do something a little more exotic like a hobgoblin you'll have to talk to me about it first. I'm pretty flexible though if you have something kinda wild you want to try I'm open to discussing it. We'll be starting at 1st level, and going from there. Progression will be based on milestones, not XP.

House Rules/Game Style: Obviously from the description this campaign has the potential for a highly political bent with a focus on roleplay. Though if you want to just use the campaign's setting as an excuse to beat up a bunch of crap in the name of the glory of Rome, we can do that too. Let me know if you have a preference one way or another. One extra thing I'll be doing is handing out less-taken feats as rewards for hitting certain character arcs. For example, if your character demonstrates considerable prowess as a gladiator over the course of the campaign I may award you Grappler or Tavern Brawler as a reward at some point. If you have something in mind you'd like to aim for feel free to discuss that with me.

Other: Just a heads up, I'm about to add a second kid to my household. Wife's due date is literally today. If you're wondering why I'm posting this now, it's because I'm impatient and restless. My wife knows I'm doing this, and she's just glad something is keeping me from bouncing off the walls too much. Though as a result we likely will have a slow start, and may not actually start at all till late next week. Hopefully you can be patient with me. The last thing I'll note is that I'm in the Midwest US. Though I'm up late fairly regularly, so I'm happy to accommodate people from different time zones.

Hey, would love to stick my hat in the ring for this. I've got a few different ideas bouncing around but I'd love to do something around someone with Macedonian or Theban heritage looking to reclaim the past glories of Alexander or Epaminondas (either as a fighter or politically). Or a Gaul barbarian. Happy to step back for players with less on though.

Gaulish Barbarian! Rob you beat me to it!
That or a war cleric of Mars.
Or... Dare I say it? A priest of the old faith, a druid? Depends on the party but there is this whole Romulus angle to it.
Honestly I'm more interested in taking Rome down then building it up. However... Both can be fun.
Same as rob though if you get new people, okay giving up a slot.
Let me know if you need any help with stuff, pm me anytime.
Also congrats on almost another baby! Good luck!

Last edited:
Hey hey hey! I have to say, I'd love to get into some of that political action. Since you say magic is okay I think it'd be interesting to play a physically weak gladiator who took a hexblade warlock pact to surive and/or thrive in the arena -- I'd love to chat with you about possible patrons if so. Otherwise, maybe a bard singing the praises of the Empire (or of the revolution!), or a paladin, swearing an oath depending on which way the campaign goes (though it seems we'll already have a few frontliners). Cheers!

The Last Velite
Race: Wood Elf, V Human
Class: Monk (Open Hand)
Background: Soldier

The youngest son of a family that traces its lineage to some of the most honored scouts and light infantry before the Marian reform. He's trained hard in the methods of his family, learning to move swiftly over ground and spot and disrupt enemies. He'll use a lot of darts and hopefully a short sword.

Son of Scythian
Race: V Human, Drow, Dragonborn
Class: Sorcerer (Draconic)
Background: ???
After a childhood of fighting, running, and hating the fact that his heritage made him a target. Then his magic manifested. Now he tries to be the bravest he can be, choosing to become an adventurer (or soldier).

Additionally, I have ideas for a Raven Pact Warlock (Favored of Proserpina(Persephone)) and a cleric of 'life', bound to Juno, and a few more if those don't work out

Last edited:
This looks really interesting, and congrats on your new kid!

I think it would be interesting to play as a former Roman citizen who was arrested for thievery that survives the arena with cunning and misdirection. It would probably either a human, forest gnome, or half elf, and would definitely be a rogue.
I've also had an idea for a tiefling cleric of Pluto, whichever works best for the campaign.

I’ve been mulling it over and I think it would be kind of fun playing a character from a past era, maybe an elf that lived through the Punic Wars and has kind of seen Rome grow at a rate which is unprecedented. As far as classes go, I don’t have any real strong desire to play anything in particular. I’ll probably just make what I feel the party needs.

As a father of two, I completely understand how a kid can definitely throw a wrench into the works. I wish you luck in that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back