(3) JRPG Combat System

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRPG

Member Title
Here's how typical combat occurs. During your post, you've the choice to do a multitude of options. However, your action points (Stamina) and mana points (Mystic) determine how many actions your character can preform.

When utilizing a die to do an action, it will require 1 action point per die. Combined die use an action point per die, so if you roll three dice, and you decide to combine two dice, it only costs three action points: one for the combine die, and one for the lone die. And if you roll three dice, and you combine all three, it costs three action points.

When utilizing dice, you can only use as many dice in your dice pool for that post. Example: I have 4 dice in my strength dice pool; therefore, I can only use four strength dice for my post.

When utilizing movement, it costs 1 action point per the amount of meters your character can move within a second.

When utilizing multiple spells, it costs +1 mana per additional spell. Example: First spell = Same mana cost. Second spell = Mana Cost + 1 mana. Third Spell = Mana Cost + 2 mana. Fourth Spell = Mana + 3 mana. This continues.

When utilizing items, it costs 1 action point to use a singular item.

When utilizing spirit, resistance, and empower die, it costs 4 mana times the level of the skill prevented, and 1 action times the level of the skill prevented per die.

Here are some actions you can do within a post:

• Strength: Attack an opponent within close melee range, or throw a weapon. Throwing a weapon costs only one die, but the thrown weapon cannot crit. Strength can include a variety of melee actions that deal damage to an opponent. Each successful die roll deals 1 damage to an opponent, and certain die numbers allow for critical attacks, which deal 3 damage.
  • Perception: Attack an opponent who's far away with a projectile. This can include throwing a weapon, if there's an ammo system involved within the weapon. Example: Throwing knives, Bows, Guns, etc. Perception can include a variety of ranged actions that deal damage to an opponent. Each successful die roll deals 1 damage to an opponent, and certain die numbers allow for critical attacks, which deal 3 damage.
  • Physique: Block against attacks, and physique die allow you to cover allies from projectiles, or other attacks. Each successful die roll blocks 1 damage from an opponent, and certain die numbers allow for defending against critical attacks.
  • Dexterity: Evade against attacks, and if the evade is successful, your character can move a certain amount of meters with no action point cost. Each successful die roll dodges 1 damage from an opponent, and certain die numbers allow for dodging against critical attacks.
  • Counter: Counter against attacks. You can inflict the damage back at your opponent, but if you don't succeed, your character takes damage. Each successful die roll counters 1 damage from an opponent, and certain die numbers allow for countering against critical attacks.
  • Movement: Everyone starts with 4 meter per second movement. It costs 1 action point to move a certain amount of meters, and you can expedite more action points to move a farther distance.
  • Mana Recovery: Recover your mana points. Each successful die roll restores 1 mana point, and certain die numbers allow for critical mana recovery, which restores 3 mana.
  • Item: Use an item. It costs 1 action point to use one singular item.
  • Spirit: Block against special attacks (Skills). A successful die roll blocks the skill, but it costs 4 mana times the level of the skill blocked, and 1 action times the level of the skill blocked to utilize a spirit die.
  • Resistance: Blocks against Status Effects (Skills). A successful die roll blocks the skill, but it costs 4 mana times the level of the skill blocked, and 1 action times the level of the skill blocked to utilize a resistance die.
  • Empower: Blocks against Deducts (Skills). A successful die roll blocks the skill, but it costs 4 mana times the level of the skill blocked, and 1 action times the level of the skill blocked to utilize a empower die.
  • Skills: Use a skill from your skill list. Requires the amount of mana/action points for the skill.

You can do multiple actions in a post, but as soon as your Action Points hit 0, you cannot do any more actions requiring action points. This is similar for mana points, as when your character runs out of mana points, they cannot preform actions that cost mana.

Note: When dueling against another player, or enemy boss, which you cannot control as the roleplay, you'll have to utilize reactive posts, which I'll demonstrate in my next post.

Note: When committing an action, you can only roll the amount of dice in a specific dice pool.

Out of an combat scenario, you're free to play your character without limitations on their actions.

All your action points are recovered during your next post. Example: If I have 8 action points, and I use them all in a post, I have 0 action points. I get them all back next time I post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sample Combat when against a NPC. An NPC is a character that you can roleplay within a post. You have to input the NPC's actions as well as your character's actions when dueling an NPC.

Example:

JRPG has 6 Hit Points, 4 Mana Points, and 3 Action points.

NPC#1 has 3 Hit Points, 4 Mana points, and 2 Action points.

JRPG first moves into range of the NPC, by spending an action point to move 4 meters. JRPG attacks NPC#1 with two separate 1d10 strength dice. JRPG rolls a 5, 7 according to the catchyourhareroller website. JRPG's accuracy is 6, or above, so only the 7 die roll succeeds. JRPG now has 0 action points.

Meanwhile NPC#1 needs to do their actions. NPC#1 defends against JRPGs attack by rolling one die, and NPC#1 rolls a 6. NPC#1 successfully defends against JRPG's roll, since they've an accuracy of 6, or above; and then NPC#1 proceeds to roll for attack, and they get a roll of 8, which succeeds due to NPC#1's accuracy of 6, or above. NPC#1 now has 0 action points.

JRPG has 0 action points, so JRPG cannot prevent the attack with actions. Therefore, JRPG loses 1 Hit point.

The next post commences, and both the NPC#1 and JRPG have their action points refilled. They can now choose their next actions.

If this sounds confusing let me know, and I'll do my best to clarify this sample.

Sample Combat when against a PC, or Enemy Boss. When fighting against a Boss, or PC, your character must prepare for reactive posts. Therefore, you cannot state the Boss', or PCs' rolls, until they've rolled.

Example:

JRPG has 5 Hit Points, 7 mana points, and 5 action points.

Boss has 15 Hit points, 0 mana points, and 2 action points.

JRPG will attack first. JRPG doesn't need to worry about conversing their action points, since their next post will require utilizing defense actions.

JRPG rolls five strength dice, and they get 8, 10, 9, 5, 9. JRPG combines the 8+10 = 18 and 9+9= 18 to get 18, and JRPG discards his 5 roll, since he needs an accuracy of 6, or above for his roll to work. JRPG has 18, or above as a critical roll, so JRPG critically attacks the boss for three damage. JRPG now has 0 action points, since he used two combined die and 1 die. Now JRPG has 0 action points, but JRPG cannot state the damage of his critical attack until the Boss does its reactive post.

Boss reacts to JRPG's actions by taking the damage, so Boss can roll for attack. Boss rolls two strength die and gets 8 and 7, and Boss' accuracy is 6, or above, so both die rolls succeeds. Boss will attack JRPG for two damage, but the damage isn't stated until JRPG does his reactive post.

JRPG reacts to Boss' actions by rolling three evade die, which JRPG gets the rolls 7, 6, and 3. JRPG successfully blocks the two attacks, as JRPG's evade success is an accuracy of 6, or above, but JRPG lost 3 action points for rolling 3 dice. JRPG now has two action points, which JRPG uses to roll two strength die. JRPG rolls a 10 and 10, which JRPG combines to get a 20. This is a critical hit, but Boss must react to the critical hit. JRPG now has 0 action points, since the combined die costs 2 action points.

If you're confused at all by anything mentioned, let me know, and I'll do my best to clarify any mistakes.

Whenever you roll, please use this site, and label your character's action. I'm trusting you all to roll with integrity, so we can keep this roleplay fun.

http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/ <--- Dice site. A tutorial will be up soon.

Turn order will be left up to the roleplayers with regards to NPCs. However, if it's a boss, I'll control the character, or I'll have another roleplayer control the character. During a Boss vs PC, or PC vs PC scenario, I'll require both the boss and PC, or PC and PC to roll for initiative, only if either party cannot decide on who goes first for a battle. PC = A roleplayer's character.

If you have any questions on the combat system, don't hesitate to ask me. I want to clarify any issues, but if mistakes do happen, I promise you all, that it won't affect the roleplay. The goal is to have fun in this RP!

If your character reaches 0 health, they're unconsciousness, until someone uses a revive item, or a Lv 3 Heal/Status Restore skill.

If your character reaches 0 mana, they cannot use skills, or dice that require mana.

if your character reaches 0 action, they cannot use dice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back