• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic 1-800-HUNTERS // OOC

What I want my character to be is a sledgehammer, if we say that a sniper would be a scalpel. What it will most likely happen is him becoming a human shield. Like Montange or Black Beard from Rainbow Six Siege, just as an example.

If were going by video game standards, I want a fucking Payday 2 Mastermind type dude. Some guy who is cunning, smart, and just remarkable in combat and outside of combat. I don't know.

If were going by video game standards, I want a fucking Payday 2 Mastermind type dude. Some guy who is cunning, smart, and just remarkable in combat and outside of combat. I don't know.
I'd go with the Fugitive skill tree kinda thing for my character.

One thing to ask might be how many parallels can be drawn between Shadowrun and Cyberpunk. I see them frequently confused, but while Shadowrun incorporates Cyberpunk elements, they are not synonymous. I have seen a few Shadowrun-specific ideas posted here that may or may not work out, depending on how similar the setting ends up being.

If my earlier concept fizzles, I may try a more "social" character, like a Fixer. I've had a skeletal concept brewing in my head all day. You don't hire the guy because he can get the job done...you hire the guy because he knows how to pull the right strings to make doing the job unnecessary. Manipulation, social engineering, confidence schemes and scams, frame jobs...maybe even assembling a small team, or even just talking to contacts and calling in favors. If he does his job right...somebody else does it for him.

One thing to ask might be how many parallels can be drawn between Shadowrun and Cyberpunk. I see them frequently confused, but while Shadowrun incorporates Cyberpunk elements, they are not synonymous. I have seen a few Shadowrun-specific ideas posted here that may or may not work out, depending on how similar the setting ends up being.

If my earlier concept fizzles, I may try a more "social" character, like a Fixer. I've had a skeletal concept brewing in my head all day. You don't hire the guy because he can get the job done...you hire the guy because he knows how to pull the right strings to make doing the job unnecessary. Manipulation, social engineering, confidence schemes and scams, frame jobs...maybe even assembling a small team, or even just talking to contacts and calling in favors. If he does his job right...somebody else does it for him.
You stole my character idea. Sort of, I had the idea of domination, being able to make an enemy fear him through conversing and subtle tactics. Even just plainly laughing at his opponent, he can make them tremble in fear or feel like a worthless human being.

Sounds dark, but eh. Life is dark.

You stole my character idea. Sort of, I had the idea of domination, being able to make an enemy fear him through conversing and subtle tactics. Even just plainly laughing at his opponent, he can make them tremble in fear or feel like a worthless human being.

Sounds dark, but eh. Life is dark.

Well...not necessarily. The Fixer idea was something I was toying with back when Blues expressed concern about too many techies in the party, and only just now better detailled because I had time to think about it. Also, the concept might incorporate some intimidation when necessary, but wouldn't revolve around it. The guy I have in mind seems nice enough, decently cultured, self-educated and conversant...until you give him a reason to come after you. You might lose your job the next day, because somebody "found" drugs in your office desk. You come home to find out your wife has received digital images of you with your mistress -nevermind whether you have one- and the local police would like a word with you about illegal stock trading.

He doesn't get mad. He gets even.

Well...not necessarily. The Fixer idea was something I was toying with back when Blues expressed concern about too many techies in the party, and only just now better detailled because I had time to think about it. Also, the concept might incorporate some intimidation when necessary, but wouldn't revolve around it. The guy I have in mind seems nice enough, decently cultured, self-educated and conversant...until you give him a reason to come after you. You might lose your job the next day, because somebody "found" drugs in your office desk. You come home to find out your wife has received digital images of you with your mistress -nevermind whether you have one- and the local police would like a word with you about illegal stock trading.

He doesn't get mad. He gets even.
Stop it! NOOO!

I was gonna have my character mostly be the one who would only do revenge if the other person was feeling too good about himself. If their somewhat guilty, he'd let them break themselves down. Guilt is about what you've done. Shame is about what you are.

Why do I get the feeling that, in a thread with this much interest, it is going to be next to impossible for there to be no similar character concepts?

Why do I get the feeling that, in a thread with this much interest, it is going to be next to impossible for there to be no similar character concepts?
Unless you have the most random and unusual character, there will be similar character traits and what they can accomplish.

I'll continue thinking about potential concepts until we hear from Newson, then pick the one I think would work out the best. Even then, it's his option as to whether it's accepted, so...anything can happen.

EDIT: Side note...how come there aren't more ToughGuy(TM) concepts coming through? I thought the muscle guy archetype was more popular than this.

I'll continue thinking about potential concepts until we hear from Newson, then pick the one I think would work out the best. Even then, it's his option as to whether it's accepted, so...anything can happen.

EDIT: Side note...how come there aren't more ToughGuy(TM) concepts coming through? I thought the muscle guy archetype was more popular than this.
No idea duderino. I think there are a few tough dudes and maybe 2 or 1 japanese techie gods. One samaruu. Then two more vocally talented folks.

The thing is...I really enjoy the techie archetype. It's something I put a lot of work and research into, when I do play it. I examine the premise of the technology, what makes it work, and what might make it stop working. I can do other things, but this is what I enjoy most. I like the challenges it presents, especially if I'm expected to provide a reason why the solution will work.

For example, hacking an electronic lock: You could try a war-dialer to crack the code, but if they're using a rotating encryption key, you're hosed. Depending on the type, you may have access to some of the external lighting electronics. Take the lock indicator LED wire and feed it into the lock actuator. You've just triggered the latch without even approaching the actual locking mechanism.

Video surveillance? You have to have a face before anyone will consider it as "evidence" against a particular person. IR light shows up white on digital cameras, which is the vast majority of what modern security systems use. You can't fit them with an IR filter, because they use IR light for night-time monitoring. Wearing a few high-power IR LEDs near the face will completely wash out that portion of your body on camera. No positive ID. All you have is that "somebody" was there.

Communications? Any broadcast signal can be picked up. You can scramble a signal, but that still allows for the potential for others to eventually crack the scrambler code. I have proposed an electronic variant of the Enigma devices used in WW II, coupled with a sync station and a master key which randomly rotates not only the scrambler code, but the transmission frequency. Try cracking the code when you get 0.001 seconds of the signal.

I love the techie. I won't be heartbroken if I can't play one, but...let's say I'm hoping I can. ;)

The thing is...I really enjoy the techie archetype. It's something I put a lot of work and research into, when I do play it. I examine the premise of the technology, what makes it work, and what might make it stop working. I can do other things, but this is what I enjoy most. I like the challenges it presents, especially if I'm expected to provide a reason why the solution will work.

For example, hacking an electronic lock: You could try a war-dialer to crack the code, but if they're using a rotating encryption key, you're hosed. Depending on the type, you may have access to some of the external lighting electronics. Take the lock indicator LED wire and feed it into the lock actuator. You've just triggered the latch without even approaching the actual locking mechanism.

Video surveillance? You have to have a face before anyone will consider it as "evidence" against a particular person. IR light shows up white on digital cameras, which is the vast majority of what modern security systems use. You can't fit them with an IR filter, because they use IR light for night-time monitoring. Wearing a few high-power IR LEDs near the face will completely wash out that portion of your body on camera. No positive ID. All you have is that "somebody" was there.

Communications? Any broadcast signal can be picked up. You can scramble a signal, but that still allows for the potential for others to eventually crack the scrambler code. I have proposed an electronic variant of the Enigma devices used in WW II, coupled with a sync station and a master key which randomly rotates not only the scrambler code, but the transmission frequency. Try cracking the code when you get 0.001 seconds of the signal.

I love the techie. I won't be heartbroken if I can't play one, but...let's say I'm hoping I can. ;)
The best way to beat all of those is to just play a World War 2 air raid siren. Everybody will be dripping blood from the ears and will be too annoyed to check up on anything.

I don't know about that, but...she did once link in to the local cell network and alter the transmission frequency to broadcast elevator music on all emergency bands in the city...

W Weaver The Chronicler The Chronicler , my character would be the one your characters would call for a favor. Or be the intimidating face, be that pressure on the back of their neck. You need someone killed and can't be bothered because you don't like the high chance of death? He has it covered. Let's call him a Handyman.

W Weaver The Chronicler The Chronicler , my character would be the one your characters would call for a favor. Or be the intimidating face, be that pressure on the back of their neck. You need someone killed and can't be bothered because you don't like the high chance of death? He has it covered. Let's call him a Handyman.
Eh, intimidation is a good thing for most characters. I think mine will be competing for the most intimidating of them all.

I mean, I have high hopes for my character, and that he'll die by an atomic radiation or bomb.

Jack of all trades, eh? I'll keep that in mind if I end up needing a "cleaner".

Well, if you really want to have them cooperate to some extent, it's possible. I was just speaking out of my ass with that half-assed quote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back