• When posting, please be aware that artistic nudity is still nudity and not allowed under RpNation rules. Please edit your pictures accordingly!

Remember to credit artists when using work not your own.

Commission [1/4 available] Fantasy Sketches, Grumkins and Snarks! [Commish info-first post!]

peritwinkle peritwinkle Would you care if I asked you some questions? I'm a digital painter as well and I think you might be able to give me some pointers if you're open to that kind of thing? Btw I really love your work - your style is very developed and I like the way you utilize colors to create shape and shadow

peritwinkle peritwinkle Would you care if I asked you some questions? I'm a digital painter as well and I think you might be able to give me some pointers if you're open to that kind of thing? Btw I really love your work - your style is very developed and I like the way you utilize colors to create shape and shadow

Thank you, I’d be happy to help, ask away or shoot me a PM!

FAQ!

I am by no means an expert, but I love to help when I can. I get these questions quite often and I thought I should throw them in here for ease.

Q: What software do you use to paint?
A: Photoshop, but I started off with Krita. It's a great free alternative and it has pretty much everything you need.

Q: Do you paint in B&W first or lay down colour from the get go?
A: Both, but I prefer the former. I paint some basic shadows and highlights but don't bother with blending properly until later. Then I play with Color and Overlay layers until I get a general idea of the colour story which I begin painting over and adding to until I'm satisfied. Also, play with colours - the skin is not only cream and... darker cream.

Q: Do you trace or use references?
A: I don't trace, and I don't think anyone ever should. It's like copying a text in Chinese without knowing what it really means. I suggest studying people's anatomy (both from images and real life). You don't have to copy an exact image, references are there to help and guide you (for instance, using a reference for a colour scheme or for drawing a difficult hand pose).

Q: How did you develop your style?
A: I can't really say I have a style. All of my pieces are at least slightly different depending on the mood I want to convey. I suggest taking inspiration from multiple artists. Studying paintings is THE best way to acquire information. Take some time to study a painting - the strokes, the colours, the shapes, etc.. You will learn a great lot from that.

- will update -

Last edited:
I adore the shading and lining you make in the faces, you can really see the structure and it's absolutely gorgeous!

Holy cats! I just stumbled across this thread and I am SO glad I did! You have a lot of talent! You do not need classes! Keep doing what you are doing. I'd LOVE to commission you or swap sketches.

Holy cats! I just stumbled across this thread and I am SO glad I did! You have a lot of talent! You do not need classes! Keep doing what you are doing. I'd LOVE to commission you or swap sketches.

I'm humbled, thank you! I am open to commissions!

This is one of the few pieces where I laid down my preferred colours from the get go, because I had a specific colour scheme in mind, as well as a certain mood I wanted to convey.

Recently started brainstorming on a couple of stories, and OH how I am craving to write something inspired by pirates!

treasure.jpg

Untitled.png

Last edited:
I was browsing through old drawings to gather some inspiration since I have been feeling under the weather recently - both physically and artistically - and I found an unfinished sketch of Sombra from Overwatch that, surprisingly, I do not despise as much as I do other old drawings. When I sketched this, I was only learning the basics of colour and shape. I have been improving with each drawing over the course of two years since I picked up a Wacom tablet, and with each piece I have seen the mistakes made in my previous one. I used to hide my old drawings from those who wanted to see them. I used to pretend that I didn’t start somewhere.

I am still trying to learn not to beat myself over the details and mistakes I overlooked in the past. They are normal and come with improvement. What has helped me most is analysing both masters’ paintings and my own to pick up on things that might otherwise have escaped my attention had I not taken the time to, not only look, but truly see.

View attachment 526459
Your sense of anatomy has vastly improved I can tell. I try and not focus on the mistakes too much because I know that with time and practice those mistakes will improve - as to say I recognize them but try not to dwell and beat myself up over it (although it gets hard sometimes when you just want to be good NOW).

I hit creative blocks all the time, maybe I could help you with some inspiration/motivation if you ever get stuck again? I wouldn't mind sending some images and maybe even music your way :)

I hit creative blocks all the time, maybe I could help you with some inspiration/motivation if you ever get stuck again? I wouldn't mind sending some images and maybe even music your way :)

I have a Pinterest board where I gather images that inspire me! If you ever find something interesting do share (: I'm always on the lookout for things to keep me in the drawing mood.

I have a Pinterest board where I gather images that inspire me! If you ever find something interesting do share (: I'm always on the lookout for things to keep me in the drawing mood.
I definitely will fresh tastes can always help ignite some foreign creativity in us. I really like your paintings so don't beat yourself up too much there are a lot of people here that dig your creativity

Yet another character concept painting. Painted it mostly using one brush, and I'm quite happy with the outcome.

dd.jpg

Last edited:
Your artwork is absolutely incredible, I'm astounded :0 It's so gorgeous, you're clearly really skilled. Imo you should charge for your work, it's of a professional quality. I'm so amazed that you're self taught.

Your artwork is absolutely incredible, I'm astounded :0 It's so gorgeous, you're clearly really skilled. Imo you should charge for your work, it's of a professional quality. I'm so amazed that you're self taught.

Thanks so much! I’m humbled! I do take commissions :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back