What's new
  • If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern ๐‡๐Ž๐‹๐Ž๐‚๐„๐๐„ | ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ท๐˜ข๐˜ฏ๐˜ค๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ต ๐˜ข๐˜ฑ๐˜ฐ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ญ๐˜บ๐˜ฑ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ

Sub Genres
Action, Adventure, Horror, Realistic, Romance, Zombies

baird

is a bastard man!
introduction
about
rules
roles
holocene
The television warps with sudden bursts of static and noise, struggling to maintain a perfectly clear broadcast. A blond woman wearing too much makeup beams at the cameraโ€”the gut feeling is that such a gleeful expression is very out of place during times like these.

My name is [UNINTELLIGIBLE, static] with Channel News 28, where we pride ourselves with providing the truth and nothing but the truth. Iโ€™m here today reporting on the ongoing research for the novel lyssavirus. Iโ€™m at Stanford Medical School about to talk to the chief virologist spearheading the international effort to find a cure.

The entire screen is reduced to static for a few seconds. By the time it clears, cliche shots of a laboratory and scientists pipetting are rolling as the virologist speaks.

What people donโ€™t understand is the severity of this thing. Heโ€™s middle aged and looks exhausted, but something in his voice sounds desperate. Typically, neurotropic viruses like these take ages to establish an infection in a patient and cause symptoms. That isnโ€™t what weโ€™ve seen with the cases in New York City or our mouse modelโ€”they enter the furious phase within days of an exposure. I havenโ€™t seen anything like this in my career.

The newscaster begins speaking again as a clip of the two of them walking down a hallway rolls. Neurotropic viruses have the ability to infect nerve cells. Closely related to the rabies virus, this new lyssavirus is known for its dramatic aggressive symptoms, but like many things, it begins with nonspecific symptoms of fever, aches, and chills. Then come headaches, and the excessive salivation, followed by neurological symptoms.

Confusion, anxiety, and paranoia beyond the normal are common, the researcher explains. This then turns into aggression, which as weโ€™ve seen with the subway attacksโ€ฆ [FADE TO SILENCE, WHITE NOISE TAKES OVER]

โ€ฆ But our research has shown this can be transmitted by most bodily fluids and fomites, or inanimate objects that an infected individual has coughed or sneezed on. We donโ€™t know how long the virus can survive but [LOUD BLIP]

The television goes black and silent. Seconds later, all color and sound return, and the researcher and newscaster are siting across each other at his desk.

We need to be careful. If this lyssavirus gets out of control, it can send humanity back to the stone age.
This post-apocalyptic roleplay draws lots of inspiration from The Last of Us and It Comes At Night.​

--​

Thirty three years following the first human case of this lyssavirus, humanity has been completely destroyed. Due to the fact that coughing and sneezing could spread the virus, it was able to hop on planes, cars, and trains, quickly making its way around the world. It spread like a wildfire and left virtually nothing behind.

Global infrastructure has been entirely lost. There is no more Internet, no more television, no more cell service. Electrical grids, left untouched for decades, are down and useless. Progress and development have ceased entirely. There is no more law, no more government. What were once looming monoliths, tributes to business and success and money, have crumbled and fallen as the natural world reclaims old urban hubs. Modernity as a concept is gone.

What remains of civilization are small nomadic groups of people and, on occasion, the established village of a few dozen. Most of the people that have made it this far have seen the fall of humanity from the very start and have poignant, but fading, memories of how the world used to be. Very few young people remain, as these arenโ€™t the best times to be pregnant and raise young childrenโ€”but they must be out there, surely.

The survivors are smart. They are hardy people, some of them ruthless and cruel, some of them just extremely disciplined and patient, who have known periods of extreme hunger and exhaustion and grief and pain. They have also grown a deep sense of distrust for each other, naturally: having done it themselves, they know what it takes to make it this far, and often times, it doesnโ€™t bring out the best in a personโ€™s character. People carry ghosts and regrets with them along with the things on their backs, in their pockets.

Some people still want to be good, or find some goodness in all of this. It's difficult when this virus has its uncanny ability of persisting in the environment: if someone is unlucky enough, they can get infected by touching the wrong thing. There are still infected people out there, hunting, ravenous, sleep-deprived with bloodshot eyes that never blink, before they waste away.

What happens, then, when these rare people groups are interrupted? When they suddenly combine and change and growโ€”or shrink? We'll find out.
rule one

Be sure to follow all of RPNโ€™s listed rules of conduct. In addition, do your part to make this roleplay a fun, safe, and inclusive space for all the identities our members may hold. Treat one another with respect and take care of this community.

rule two

This is a strictly advanced roleplayโ€”your writing needs to be compelling and interesting, and correct grammar and spelling are an expectation. I expect at least five to eight hundred words per response at the very least. Please assess your strengths and limitations as a writer as you decide whether or not this is the best environment for you.

rule three

Due to the mature themes in this roleplay, I am asking that each applicant be over eighteen years of age. I will not be making any exceptions (please do not private message me to ask). This is to ensure that each member is comfortable discussing more sensitive aspects of the plot without the presence of a minor.

rule four

Roleplay planning and general discourse will take place on Discord once the member list is finalized. This is a mandatory part of the roleplay, as it is a convenient platform to quickly share information and collaborate with each other.
the family
A rare nuclear family in the midst of this chaos, they have managed to stay together despite all odds, holding out in a remote rural ranch that was previously owned by an elder member of the family. This group consists of two parental figures and two children. The parents have seen the entirety of the lyssavirus situation from its inception, and their children may have some childhood memories of the first major events. Of course, no family is ever perfect, especially with the stress of post-apocalyptic life manifesting all too often, but they would quite literally do anything for each other.

the trio
This best friend trio assembled in the years following the collapse of government, and the bond they share is unbreakably deep: constantly relying on each other for survival has a way of forming lasting, trusting relationships. These three have helped each other with illness and injury, grief and heartbreak, and, most importantly, they've found ways to keep the air light despite all that's happened.

the pair
A stranger in desperate need and an exceptionally compassionate stranger coincidentally crossed paths and have remained together for only a short amount of time. One feels a tremendous debt towards the other. The other simply had the desire to help. That being said though, there is still much to be discovered, and the trust between the two is low while suspicion and doubt remain high.

Last edited:

constellation

๐–บ ๐—Œ๐—๐—‚๐—‡๐—’ ๐—Œ๐—๐–บ๐—‹
Helper
crying because the last of us absolutely ruined me.
i am absolutely interested!

cherubs.

โ ๐š’๐šโ€™๐šœ ๐šข๐š˜๐šž ๐š˜๐š› ๐š–๐šŽ, ๐šŠ๐š–๐š™๐š•๐š’๐š๐š’๐šŽ๐š โž
why u so talented, stop it

Husk

wears heelies to escape their feelies
An advanced post-apocalypse RP stemming from a viral infection?
Count me hella interested.

fated

๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ซ๐ซ๐ฒ ๐œ๐จ๐ฅ๐š!
this is a big YES from me chief

baird

is a bastard man!

baird

is a bastard man!
also please note that i have added two more roles to include two additional people in this roleplay! i've added one more person to the family group and created an entire new group, the loner! i would also read all of the information in the 'considerations' tab carefully.

baird

is a bastard man!
just gonna. take a look at this ol' pot and stirrrrr it up! let's go night crowd, gimme something!
although there are lots of works in progress and temporary placeholders on the joining page, there is still a lot of space for interested applicants! the regular application deadline is 9pm PST on april first, but if you need an extension, please contact me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)