Anime & Manga 웃Can anyone hook me up with some good mecha animes?웃

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. It's a kind of obscure OVA from the 90s that's not currently licensed but definitely worth hunting down. The focus isn't as much on the robots as the human characters but there still is some lovely robot action in between all the superpowered people duking it out and apocalyptic tragedy.

Gunbuster and Diebuster are also absolute classics if you haven't seen them yet.

Mecha anime's a genre I'm really fond of but haven't seen a lot of at the same time. So many classics still sitting on my backlog!

Lets see search for any gundam you will hardly go wrong with any gundam.
Similarly search for macross you can't go wrong with any macross (except 7 stay away from 7's)
There is tengen toppa gurren lagann which is counted as one of best shows around.
Full Metal Panic series are good.
Getter Robo and Mazinger series are classics.
If you can find Super Robot Wars series are pretty good.
Aldnoah Zero is good it was recent too.
There are Aquarion series which are different than usual sense.
Bokurano is really different giant robo anime which might not be everyones cup.
Buddy Complex and Dual have some interesting concepts.
Although I don't like its mecha designs and never watched it people will probably suggest Evangelion at some point.
If you can find Gun x Sword is pretty good.
Heavy Object is interesting and recent.
Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is a spinoff mecha/school life ova series of Tenchi Muyo
Demobane is an interesting mecha anime about magicians and chutulu myth
Muv-Luv Alternative:Total Eclipse and same setting Schwarzesmarken are really interesting fighting against alien bug infestation mecha anime
Similar to Muv-Luv there is Soukyuu no Fafner series which is one of best series along with macross and Gundam IMHO.
Suisei no Garganta has an interesting story and it was recent.
Gunbuster and Diebuster were already mentioned by someone.
Vandread series have an interesting return to home concept in space.
Patlabor although i never watched is another classic anime series about police force mecha
GaoGaiGar series are one of must watch classics if you can find them
Stellvia is an interesting school life in space mecha anime which has almost zero combat (the only couple of fighting in anime was a misunderstanding and it is in really alte in the series) yet it has an interesting story and concept. One I think really deserve more seasons.
Although they are not quiet robots these two counted as mecha anime and I think among classics which should be watched: Tekkaman Blade series and Guyver Series

There are some older mecha animes which were either edited and butchered for US (like Golion and Kikou Kantai Dairugger XV two different anime dubbed as Voltron or Kikou Souseiki Mospeada, Choujikuu Kidan Southern Cross and Macross first series being dubbed as robotech) or too dark to watch lets say if you can't handle bokurano than there is no way to watch these since their whole concept relies on despair (not to spoil too much in one of them aliens sends human captives at large with some of them being implanted with bombs and they don't pull punches back)

Like already mentioned:
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Full Metal Panic
  • Voltron (the new one by the Korra team)
  • Suisei no Gargantia (which I know was Gargantia of the Verdurous Planet), that shit made me cry
And then my own suggestions, which are neither serious nor hard-hitting stories.
  • Heroman. Stan Lee helped produce it, so it's basically "Peter Parker if he had a pet Giant Robot that made him a magical girl". Very fun, very tropey.
  • Star Driver. It shares voice actors with Ouran High School Host Club and that's all you need to know about how it is. We have:
    • Red-hair protagonist who is saved with ~mouth to mouth~ by the token girl of the protagonists
    • Token girl ~~bethrothed~~ to tall, aloof, blue haired bishounen who allows red-haired protagonist to stay at his ~~mansion~~
    • The entire series takes place at a boarding school with a cult of wannabe Sailor Moon villains with a collar fetish.
    • THE MAIN CHARACTER, AND ONLY THE MAIN CHARACTER, HAS A TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE
    • upload_2017-5-10_8-49-40.jpeg
    • I forgot about the cat and bunny maids who are regular, returning characters who help save the day.

Like already mentioned:
  • Gurren Lagann
  • Full Metal Panic
  • Voltron (the new one by the Korra team)
  • Suisei no Gargantia (which I know was Gargantia of the Verdurous Planet), that shit made me cry
And then my own suggestions, which are neither serious nor hard-hitting stories.
  • Heroman. Stan Lee helped produce it, so it's basically "Peter Parker if he had a pet Giant Robot that made him a magical girl". Very fun, very tropey.
  • Star Driver. It shares voice actors with Ouran High School Host Club and that's all you need to know about how it is. We have:
    • Red-hair protagonist who is saved with ~mouth to mouth~ by the token girl of the protagonists
    • Token girl ~~bethrothed~~ to tall, aloof, blue haired bishounen who allows red-haired protagonist to stay at his ~~mansion~~
    • The entire series takes place at a boarding school with a cult of wannabe Sailor Moon villains with a collar fetish.
    • THE MAIN CHARACTER, AND ONLY THE MAIN CHARACTER, HAS A TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE
    • View attachment 309662
    • I forgot about the cat and bunny maids who are regular, returning characters who help save the day.
I knew I forgot some good ones. There is also captain earth which was I believe made by same group as star driver

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still. It's a kind of obscure OVA from the 90s that's not currently licensed but definitely worth hunting down. The focus isn't as much on the robots as the human characters but there still is some lovely robot action in between all the superpowered people duking it out and apocalyptic tragedy.
Was the 2004 Tetsujin series done by the same people?

Was the 2004 Tetsujin series done by the same people?
Holy shit somebody else actually knows that show?! It was also directed by Yasuhiro Imagawa, yes! Kenji Murasame even shows up in Giant Robo since it's kind of a huge crossover of all the stuff the original mangaka Mitsuteru Yokoyama created. You might see some other familiar character designs too.

Muv-Luv Alternative:Total Eclipse is a really interesting fighting against alien bug infestation mecha anime

Do yourself a favour and play the games first. They're on Steam right now.

IMG_2831.GIF

It's not an anime or even a Japanese-made video game (although it does imitate an "anime-esque" style), but the Sunrider games on Steam are chock-full of mech battles, and I personally enjoyed the story and the SRPG mechanics.

Code Geass, it's got mecha's, absolutely intelligent tactical strategic decisions playing out before your eyes, and absolutely grey morality all around, do yourself a favor and watch this gem.

I'm gonna pull technicalities.
Halo made an anime called "Halo Legends," and while it is in english, it is (a) in the anime art style and (b) made in Japan.
So, I mean, just gonna throw that out there.
If memory serves there was some mecha stuff in the first coupla episodes (because they had the forerunners).

As was said, Code Geass is definitely a recommendation if you haven't seen it already. DEM PLOT TWISTS THO

But honestly, my favorite is Eureka Seven. It's not quite entirely mecha, but it definitely has its focuses on it at certain points. There are plenty of complex characters and stories, plus some great humor at different points. It's pretty heavy with its romance (and cheesy at some points), but it also likes to focus on straight up relationships between characters and underlying conspiracies and stuff.

I don't always watch mecha, but when I do, it's Eureka Seven.

IGPX - Immortal Grand Prix. Its only dubbed, but its pretty good
Buddy Complex - In the middle of it and loving it
My only issue with buddy complex is it has a weak ending instead of a second season. Let me explain without spoiling. At end of season 1 it clearly states to be continued and it leaves with a good cliffhanger to boost but instead of making a second season they just release two episode of tv special to wrap things up once and for all and to be honest those tv specials are the worst watch of whole series using deus ex machina's left and right to finish series prematurely otherwise the series is really good and has an interesting concept.

Last edited:
I've got to go with Code Geass (although it's been said a few times) - an extremely unpredictable sci-fi gem, in my opinion.
I haven't watched any mecha anime since Aldnoah.Zero, which I really didn't like very much.

Mine are probably all already listed, but!:

Gundam Age (Yes, surprising, most people seem to not enjoy Age; but I did.)
Gundam Iron Blood Orphans
Gurren Lagann
Code Geass
Gun Buster

Gundam Wing
G-Gundam
...Do Zoids count? 'Cause if so: Zoids Chaotic Century
Also I think someone else mentioned them, but definitely Fullmetal Panic and the Macross series!

Give Gundam 08th MS team a try. Gives the ground war aspect of the UC 1 year war

Users who are viewing this thread

Back