• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy -☽- THE HERO OF DAELOS -☾-

Lore
Here
702f12329cb24c83c66ac24a13729086.jpg
The sword plunged forward, whistling through the air, and struck right through the three throats of the chimera.

For a moment - perhaps a singular occurrence, the city of Athelos remained silent. The sky, stained crimson by the setting sun, suddenly seemed darker, and for a moment, Gloria could swear the crickets and birds had ceased warbling. She watched the scene in horror, as if waiting for the chimera to wrest out of Leon’s blade and strike back, but instead, the creature let out one last wail through its three sets of notched jaws and fell on the ground beneath, gushing dark, viscous blood into the earth.

The slayer was left numb. In that split second, Gloria no longer recognized her twin brother - he was pale, ridden with sweat, light brown hair stuck to his temple and eyes glowing gold like the sun. She could see his chest heaving as he pulled back from the carcass and dropped his weapon to the ground with a muffled thump. Leon pursed his lips in both overflowing anger and relief; his shirt was stained with blood and mud, ripped right above his shoulder blades, but he did not seem to notice his own wounds. His attention was fixated on the dead creature that lay before him, the creature that should have lain before someone else.

Moments passed like hours before the silence was broken. Metal clinked once again, but this time it was the golden armour of one of the Prince Orpheo’s guards, stepping carefully towards Leon with a hand on the hilt of his sheathed sword. Gloria held in her breath and almost leapt towards her brother, setting a palm on his shoulder before the guard could reach him. Her gaze often seemed to be the mirror opposite of his - calculated, steadfast and sharp - and she raised her voice loud enough to cover the emerging murmur.

“My brother defended the people of Athelos,” she pleaded. His duty as a hoplite had never been to act upon danger, but Leon had never been the kind to disregard his righteousness.

The guard grunted quietly, but his head remained still. He raised a steel hand and removed hers harshly before gripping Leon’s shoulder himself, the man still turned in shock towards the chimera. “Your Eminence,” he called out through the helmet towards his Monarch, whose grimace of disgust only thickened.

“He did nothing wrong,” Gloria chimed again. “If anything, he -”

“You will quiet down,” the guard thundered, but Gloria stood her ground. “At his orders,” he said, and began leading Leon down the hill towards the other cluster of armoured soldiers. Gloria followed, back by one of the other Hoplites, younger by the expression etched in his eyes, resembling a terrified child. She could not oppose their orders, she could not protest with truth when it was clear their heart and mind were twisted. Leon should not have been able to slay the chimera, and perhaps in their minds cramped by their golden helmets, they would rather the people in the amphitheatre died if it meant the Prince would have earned his glory.

It was a long way down from the bluff to the court. The streets felt narrow and stifling, and with every step she took behind a silent Leon, Gloria felt more and more powerless. She thought of Rhoda and Solon, who would come looking for them if they did not come for dinner. Or, perhaps, it would not be long until they heard the rumours, and as Daelosi had a tendency to overdraw stories, by morning they would settle with the knowledge that their apprentices had been slain by a three-headed beast that night. She could already hear chatter behind them, low voices mentioning the ‘man who killed the beast’ and his ‘big-mouthed companion’. They spoke and whispered and mingled together into a long crowd following behind them until they reached the marble palace, by the time the sun had almost fully set, and their curiosity only burnt brighter.

‘You had to be the hero, didn’t you?’ Gloria wanted to ask Leon. But her bother was quiet and recluse. But truly, all she wanted to know was how he had taken the Orpheo’s place in his victory.

div.png
original.jpg
“Where is the prophet?” Orpheo thundered as he paced frantically down the throne hall. “Where is my prophet?”

“Your Glory…”

“My shame!” the Prince called back towards his adviser. The man was one finger taller than the boy, and yet Orpheo’s voice managed to earn a regretful flush. He breathed out harshly and brought his fingers to his temples, pursing his lips. “I want to know how he did it,” he ordered calmly. “I want to know how he took what was mine, and most importantly, I want to know why that beast broke away from my reach.”

Those were all questions Orpheo knew his disciples would never be able to answer. He needed his father more than anything in that moment, and he was willing to take him with all his wrath and resentment if it meant he could hear his judgement. How had Lia not seen it coming? Had she hidden it from him, in the fear that he would deem it blasphemy? Orpheo gritted his teeth so hard he could hear them crackle. The Gods had stepped on his head once again, crippled him, took away his glow that, for that evening, had had the entirety of Athelos enamored.

He heard footsteps rushing towards him from a distant hallway. “Your Glory, the people are-”

“Quiet them down,” he called back. He did not need to look behind him to know the hall was already filled with his followers. He could taste bitter on his tongue and he had his fists clenched, digging deep into his palms. He was sweating, and his thick, black hair stuck to his pale forehead. He could not let the people see him like that, not after this hard blow at his name.

Bring me my prophet,” he called once again, and heard pairs of sandals and boots scurry away.

b0abc40790fbd967ffc8e3750ebb3987.jpg
Everything was dark. Pitch black. It was like she was standing in a void where she was the only thing that existed. Once, such a sight had frightened Lia beyond relief, but by now, she was used to it. She wouldn’t be alone in here for very long, she was certain. Someone, or something, would come to her, or the scene would change eventually. The darkness was usually how these things started out, especially when they came to her in dreams. She was grateful when they came to her in dreams rather than striking out of nowhere during the middle of the day.

Sure enough, Lia found that she didn’t have to wait for much longer before a figure seemed to melt from out of the darkness. Lia straightened, wondering who it was that could be coming to her. When it started out with a person, it was usually a vision of that specific person’s death or some horrid disaster that was going to befall them. She was shown their face before the scene changed to whatever catastrophe was coming for the poor soul.

But the person who stepped out of the darkness instead caused Lia’s blood to run cold.

It was a woman, tall and imposing, with a natural aura of power around her. Flowing snow-white hair tumbled down her back and her features looked like they were carved from ice. A pointed black crown sat upon her head, the same ebony shade as the dress she wore. The woman was all monochrome, even down to her eyes, which were so dark they were almost black and seemed to pierce Lia’s very soul. Lia would be a fool not to recognize the woman for who she was: Demetria, goddess of the Underworld.

Instantly, Lia was on her knees before the goddess, trying not to show too much fear. Lia could count on one hand the number of times that she had actually communicated with one of the gods, instead of just being shown a vision, and it had always been when Lia herself sought some form of guidance. Never had one of the gods come to Lia so directly like this without being called. And for it to be the goddess of the Underworld herself… Just what was it that Demetria could have to say to her?

Demetria was silent for several moments before she spoke. “You are the prophetess of calamity?” she queried, though she had to know who Lia was.

“Yes, my lady,” Lia breathed out, her head bowed and hands clasped in front of her. “Have…have you come bearing news of a calamity about to happen?”

“I come bearing a way to stop a great devastation,” Demetria corrected and Lia’s head shot up, confusion in her gaze. Her entire life, her mind had been plagued by visions of disaster after disaster, but there was never anything that she could do to stop it. Instead, she was always forced to watch it happen, to know it was coming, and then watch it again when it hit the world. When she was younger, she had tried to find a way to stop the catastrophes, to warn people, but it had never worked. She was always powerless to stop what was coming even though she wanted nothing more than to help people avoid their awful fates. But now…now Demetria was offering her that. Offering her a way to help people instead of just watch them burn.

“What is it you require of me?” she finally managed to ask, her voice a bit breathless. This was all happening so quickly and her mind was struggling to keep up.

An amused smirk flickered across Demetria’s face at Lia’s easy compliance. “Tonight, when the Daelosi prince battles the chimera, he will not win.” Here, Lia frowned. The chimera was supposedly a beast that was only killable by the heir to the throne of Daelos, someone who had godly blood in their veins. Everyone expected Orpheo to kill the monster in battle tonight. “Instead, the beast will be killed by a golden-eyed boy who carries the blood of Alexandra in his veins. Once the fighting is over, you must seek him out. Help him escape the fate that awaits him at the hands of the Daelosi prince. This boy, along with his sister, is imperative to your task.”

“And once I find them?” Lia ventured to ask. “What do I do then?”

“Ensure they stay alive,” the goddess replied dryly. “Surely you know how your prince will react to such a slight.” Lia winced at the thought. Demetria was right – Orpheo wouldn’t take kindly to his moment being stolen. He could order this boy to death. “There is something very dangerous coming to Daelos,” Demetria continued. “If you truly want to help people, you will do whatever you can to ensure that these two stay alive.”

All Lia had ever wanted was to help people. Help them instead of only watching as they all died and suffered but never being able to. Now, for once, she was being offered the chance to do something rather than stay sidelined. “I will do whatever it takes to stop what’s coming,” she said. Demetria didn’t elaborate on what this disaster was, but if it was enough to get the goddess of the dead to come to Lia, it had to be awful.

“Good,” Demetria said, that smirk flashing across her face again. “And one more thing: tell no one of this encounter. Helios does not want us meddling in human affairs and he would be very cross to know I spoke with you. To ensure he does not discover this, do not tell a soul. Not even Alexandra’s twins.”

Lia wanted to ask more questions, for clarification, for something besides the vague words that she had been given, but the dream was already starting to disappear into smoke. She opened her mouth, trying to call out to Demetria, but her voice was gone as the goddess disappeared back into the swirling darkness.

When Lia shot awake, she was panting, sheets twisted around her, and sweat pooling underneath her.

༺༻​

Just as Demetria had told her, that evening, as the setting sun painted the sky crimson, the chimera’s blood was spilled on the arena sands, but not by Orpheo. It was a hoplite who had jumped in, running his sword through the beast’s throats until it lay dead. Moments after he had killed the chimera, Orpheo’s guards had shown up to haul him away while a woman who looked strikingly similar to the man chased after them.

Admittedly, Lia felt sick to her stomach. Demetria had visited her last night, so Lia had had the whole day to figure out how she was going to play this, but she still didn’t have anything. She had no idea how she was going to convince Orpheo not to kill this man, whoever he was. She also knew he’d come to her seeking answers. But Demetria had ordered her not to tell anyone about the vision and Lia knew better than to go against a direct order from the goddess of the dead.

That didn’t make this any easier though.

She knew Orpheo wanted to see her. Lia was hurrying through the palace corridors when the advisor came upon her, stammering out how the prince was requesting her presence. Lia swallowed back her fear, steeling herself to face the prince. Lia used the servants’ passageways to avoid the throngs of people milling about, wondering what was going on, until she managed to slip into the throne room. Now was when things became difficult.

“Your Glory,” Lia addressed Orpheo, bending low at the waist. Her heart was pounding in her ears as her mind raced to come up with some lie to tell the prince to save the man who had killed the chimera. It was a miracle she managed to keep her voice steady. “You called for me?”

div.png
69ff70a8d6e4e7f486e51c6d052a02af.jpg
This was certainly not how Nikolai had imagined the night going.

He hadn’t wanted to show up to watch the brat of a prince kill the chimera. He hadn’t wanted to watch the people cheer for the man who had cast Nikolai aside just because he’d gone against an order and saved possibly hundreds of lives. He hadn’t wanted to watch someone like Orpheo get all the glory over some paltry kill of a chained beast. This was hardly going to even be a real fight. Nikolai thought that if Orpheo truly wanted to prove himself, he should go out to Amasia’s Island for a few weeks without any servants.

But in the end, Nikolai was oh so glad that his father had forced him to come to this.

The battle had turned into an entire debacle. Orpheo hadn’t killed the beast, some random hoplite had, effectively putting a stain on the prince’s name for all of eternity. Everyone was going to wonder why their precious heir hadn’t been able to kill the beast. They would start questioning his legitimacy, whether or not he was actually the rightful ruler of Daelos. And Nikolai was absolutely delighted to watch the prince’s life tumble down around him.

Still, he had to wonder who that hoplite was. Surely, the man had to have known that jumping into a fight like this, that fucking up the prince’s big moment, would have serious consequences. And yet, he’d done it anyway. And he’d succeeded. The chimera had left Orpheo in favor of the hoplite, which supposedly meant that this hoplite was the one who had godly blood in his veins. Not Orpheo. Nikolai couldn’t help the burst of satisfaction inside of him at that.

Although, he was curious now. Nikolai was sure that the hoplite would be put to death, but before that happened, he wanted to see the man. To know what had happened. So, while everyone else was thronging about trying to get some answers out of Orpheo, Nikolai slipped away to instead hunt down where the man had been taken.

original.jpg
Orpheo gritted his teeth as he stared at the white marble wall. The room suddenly felt too bright for his liking, but he was grateful for the thick walls protecting him from the people outside. He wanted nothing more than to open the gates himself and shout out to the sky, curse the Gods and his Godly ancestors who had forsaken him. Curse his late father and mother, for leaving him with untied ends and knots in the chaos of the Daelosi court.

His chest shivered with every breath. The silence scourged him, but simultaneously offered a strange warmth, a promise of safety, albeit as frail as he had felt before the slain chimera. Could his father have lied to him? Could his blood be stained, impure? And yet, how could a hoplite prove himself more worthy?

Lia’s steps came quickly but lightly, almost remorseful. Orpheo knew better than to fall for her theatrical ignorance. He smacked his lips and turned to look at her over his shoulder, before his empty throne. “You knew of it, and you said nothing,” he thundered. He spoke slowly, but everyone at court knew him enough to understand the glare in his eyes. “It does not matter. What is done, is done. I want answers, and I will not take ignorance for one.”

Behind Lia, his advisor frowned and lowered his gaze to his feet. Orpheo despised it when his trusted acted innocently dunce, but a part of his mind - one that still clung to rationality - knew they were likely just as torn on the matter as him.

He let out a sigh and returned his eyes to the throne. “If there is one thing my father taught me, it is that I should keep my head high for my own good. Even if my people burn with anger, with hatred for my name. They soon will, Lia, unless I give them an answer that does not incriminate me.” Eventually, he turned around on his heels and stood straight, towering menacingly before her. “Tell me the truth. Tell me that hoplite is not the son of a God.”

Orpheo wanted answers. She knew that he wanted answers, but she didn’t have any to give him that would please him. Even if she went against Demetria and told Orpheo what she had learned, the prince was liable to fly into a jealous rage upon learning that a hoplite held the blood of the goddess Alexandra. Lia did not want to have to deal with that. She knew that she was already walking on thin ice with the prince since he was accusing her of withholding information from him.

In all honesty, however, Lia didn’t know why he assumed she knew something. She did, of course, but that was only because of Demetria. If Demetria hadn’t come to see her, then Lia would still be in the dark as Orpheo. The prince seemed to be under the delusion that this counted as a cataclysm that she would have been able to see in a vision. But, as disastrous as this event had been for his pride and reputation, it wasn’t really a cataclysmic or tragic event. Which was what her visions were focused on. Lia saw death and destruction, not slighted princes and their wounded pride. And yet, Orpheo still challenged her for answers.

Her mind whirred as she tried to come up with something to tell him. Luckily, it seemed as though Orpheo wasn’t going to punish her for not telling him anything before now, which was a blessing and a relief. Slowly, she raised her head, flinching slightly at his thundering voice before her gaze darted back down to the marble floors. Lia straightened, clasping her hands behind her back, knowing that she couldn’t hesitate for too long in her answer or Orpheo would know she was lying.

There had to be something that she could say. Something that she could play off of. No, Orpheo, it wasn’t the hoplite, it was…

The sword.

It was almost like a torch had been lit in her mind, the idea very suddenly flashed across her brain. The hoplite had only been able to kill the chimera because the sword that he possessed had some sort of magical properties. Lia did not know how the sword had ended up in the hoplite’s possession, just that it must have some great power to it to allow this mere mortal man to kill a beast like the chimera.

“He is not the son of a god, your Glory,” Lia answered, her voice surprisingly strong and steady. “I offer my sincerest apologies for not warning you of this sooner, but the vision that came to me was confusing, and I did not fully understand it until after the battle.” She could work with this. Pretend that she hadn’t known the vision was important enough to bring to his attention, thus taking the weight of any crime off her shoulders. She just had to be careful.

“Last night, your Glory, I had a vision of the chimera being killed,” she said slowly, choosing her words carefully. “The face of the man who did it was impossible to make out, because the vision was almost entirely focused on the sword as it sliced through the chimera’s necks. I assumed that the vision was one of your victory over the beast. Now, I believe I understand its true purpose. The vision was a message that it would not be the man who slayed the chimera, but the sword. I believe the hoplite was only able to accomplish killing the chimera because his sword is not a normal sword. It is some kind of artifact that possesses magical properties. That is why he was able to kill the chimera.”

Anticipating questions that Orpheo might throw at her, Lia plowed on, spinning her delicate web of lies. “I do not know how a mere hoplite could have come into possession of a sword that would overrule your godly blood, your Glory. I am not entirely sure what the sword itself is either. But the way the hoplite killed the chimera was identical to what was shown in my vision. I believe you should look into his sword and see what sort of magic it may possess. It must be very powerful to call the chimera to him.”

original.jpg
Orpheo was relieved to hear the words that came out of the Prophet’s mouth. He relaxed, but not enough to let his guard down, yet merely to loosen his fists and let out a soft breath through his nose. A part of him wondered if her statement was only meant to please his ears, but he knew better than to doubt the woman who had foreseen the fall of his family. The Prince gulped - not out of fear, but out of anger and frustration - and for a moment looked down at his feet.

Still, he could taste questions on his tongue that he did not know how to word before the Prophet. He could not let the hoplite’s victory pass as an incidental misunderstanding; if the Gods had given Lia the warning signs, it meant that the event would bring along much greater horrors. It was an agonizing effort to separate himself from the thoughts that ran through his head, of the people calling him a bastard, of the lying rumours of his legitimacy - or lack thereof - floating around Athelos, of the glory of the hoplite and the legendary sword that had earned him the three heads of the chimera.

When he lifted his eyes again, the room surrounding him seemed warmer and safer than before. He had Lia with him, and he trusted the woman more than any of his easily bought followers. He often spend his nights before falling asleep wondering if there was a man who could buy them from him, without his knowledge. If he would one day wake up at the tip of an enemy’s knife by one of his men’s hands.

There was none in the world who could afford Lia. None who could sway her from him but the Gods, yet the Gods loved him, for he was the blood of Anastasius like his late father and his father before him.

“I want that sword found and brought to me,” Orpheo called calmly, gulping. His eyes were still fixated on Lia, but the men who received the order took a step forward. Dorus, the head of his guard, took his golden helmet off and clutched it nervously in his hands.

“Your Glory, I… The hoplite was unarmed when we brought him to you,” he said. “I reckon he dropped it on the ground at the amphitheatre, someone would have taken it by now.”

Orpheo’s neck tensed. He clenched his fists again and fixated his green eyes on him. “Then I want every man, woman and child present at the amphitheatre searched or questioned,” he set his jaw. “You will find it by dusk tomorrow. You will begin searching now, wake them up from their beds if necessary. By the order of the King.”

The Prince turned back around and sat down on his throne, leaning back with his legs parted. He brought his hand up to his chin to contemplate, gaze lost. He was angered and impatient, a concoction he knew to seer away from himself, but there was no hope for true tranquility in such moments. Not for him. Not for his father’s son, too proud for his own good.

“Lia,” he sighed eventually, pressing his temples. “Go to your chamber and rest. I want your mind clear for tomorrow if my own cannot be. And as for the hoplite and his sister…” He looked down to his advisor and flicked his wrist. “See to it that they have water and fire. They will be questioned at the break of dawn, by my own person.”

Lia sent a silent prayer of thanks to the gods when Orpheo bought her story, beginning to order the guards around to get the sword to him. By a stroke of luck, the hoplite hadn’t had the sword on him when he’d been arrested, which meant that Orpheo was going to have to look for it before he was able to examine it. That was going to buy her even more time with figuring this whole thing out and she couldn’t be more grateful for that fact. Though, she knew that she still didn’t have very long. Especially when Orpheo said that he was going to be questioning the twins tomorrow morning. Still, tomorrow was better than tonight, because that gave Lia all night to figure out how to get them out of the palace undetected.

When Orpheo called her name, Lia stiffened, her gaze flickering up to the prince as he lounged on the throne. “Yes, Your Glory,” she bowed as he dismissed her and she turned on her heel, scampering from the room. It was only upon exiting the throne room that some of the tension slipped from her body. Lia leaned against the wall, resting her head on the cool marble as she let out a long breath. Her heart was still hammering away in her chest at what she’d just done.

She had lied. To the king of Daelos. Traitors were not welcome in this court and Lia knew that if he ever caught wind of what she’d done before she could escape with the twins, it would likely be the end of her. Orpheo was young, prone to anger, and she feared what he might do to her if he discovered her treachery today. Of course, her lies would be made clear once she helped the hoplite and his sister escape, but by then, hopefully, she would be out of his reach and it would be too late for him to do anything to her.

Luckily, Lia knew that Orpheo had no reason to distrust her. Until now, she had been a perfect prophet for him and offered whatever assistance he asked for. He seemed to trust her more than the other members of his court, something she had noticed. He probably did so because Lia listened to the gods more than she listened to any mortal or any amount of money. It was too bad for Orpheo, she supposed, that it had ended up being the gods that turned her against him. It was something he probably never would have suspected, since he was supposed to be loved by the gods for being of godly blood himself.

Shaking those thoughts aside, she tried to focus on the task now at hand. She had to get to the twins to tell them that she was here to help them escape from Orpheo’s wrath. Lia didn’t know where they were being kept, but Orpheo had just ordered his advisor to ensure that the twins had water and fire. That meant the advisor was going to be headed to wherever it was the twins were being held. So, hurriedly, Lia darted off in the direction she’d seen the adviro go, careful to be as quiet as possible.

Lia shadowed the advisor as he walked briskly through the halls, quiet as a mouse as she followed him. No one she crossed in the hallways gave her a second look; most tended to avoid looking at her. As much as Orpheo valued her gift, for some odd reason, most other people tended to steer clear of Lia, fearful that she might somehow have a vision of their own demise if they got too close to her. It was something she’d come to terms with a long time ago, and in moments like these, she was actually grateful for the fact that people avoided her. It made tasks such as this easier since no one was trying to stop her.

Eventually, the advisor arrived at a small waiting room that had a single guard standing in front of it. Lia hovered nearby as the advisor followed through on Orpheo’s orders, ensuring the twins had water and fire, before he left the room himself, giving Lia the opening she needed. She didn’t approach right away, instead waiting several minutes until after the advisor had left before she straightened herself out, smoothing the fabric of her dress before she folded her hands in front of her and walked over to the door.

The guard straightened as Lia approached, eyeing her curiously. “His Glory has asked me to speak with the hoplite and his sister,” she lied smoothly. For people like the guard, it was best to keep the lies short and sweet so as not to invite too many questions.

Since Orpheo seemed to favor Lia, her invoking his name would usually get her anywhere. The guard nodded stiffly, unlocking the door and stepping aside to allow her entry to the room. Lia took a steadying breath before she pushed the door open, allowing it to fall shut behind her as she came face-to-face with Alexandra’s twins. The people who she needed in order to stop some great catastrophe.

“Hello,” she greeted them with a dip of her head. “My name is Lia. I serve as a prophet to the king. And I have a very important matter that I must speak with you about.”

“Curses!” Leon hissed as the damp cloth rubbed into his wound. He felt warm droplets trickle down his scratch-ridden back, and it took every sliver of will he had within himself to smother his pain into a quiet wince.

The room had gotten dark, their faces only lit by the fire in the hearth, and although that year had proven a chilly summer, the heat in their tight chamber was undeniable. Still, Leon knew he could not let himself lament his aches in front of his sister. Judging by her silence ever since they had come to the castle, she was less than pleased with his heroic attempt.

It took a few moments before Gloria decided to speak, in a low voice this time, as though their patrons were listening outside the door. “What you did was idiotic, Leon,” she murmured, patting down on his back with the bloodied rag. “Brave, but idiotic nonetheless. I… I simply cannot wrap my head around what instinct overcame you, for you to think you could take down a chimera by yourself.”

Leon did not reply immediately. Frankly, he had no answer to that question himself. Everything had happened as though through a muddled dream - he had leapt, shouted and pushed his sister away, and in a heart’s beat, his sword had caved through the chimera’s three heads at once. He could still smell and taste the dark, maroon liquid oozing out of its wounds - metal and poison, death and venom in a concoction resembling curdled blood - and he could hear the silence his act had left behind. At the back of the crowd, as pale as a phantom, the Prince had been standing still, the sole armour he had donned for the fight he had never gotten to try his hand at, a decorative golden helmet, clutched tightly in his frivolous hands.

The sound of rippling water as his sister soaked the cloth again brought him out of his memory like a claw. He gulped and shook his head, clutching nervously at his trousers. “I don’t know, Gloria,” he whispered calmly. “I didn’t know I had it within me to kill something like… that. But something did whisper to me in that moment. I could hear it, Gloria, and it told me only I could stop it.”

Once again, Gloria’s question rendered him mute. The people of Daelos were convinced their ruler was an offspring of the Gods. They had all showed up to the fighting amphitheatre shouting and waving handkerchiefs tinted in gold and black to embolden the Prince, not one questioning whether the chimera could maul him to death. Not even himself - the grinning fool - doubted it, with his light gown over his shoulders and the thin shell of gold around his head meant to represent a warrior’s helmet. If the legend was true, and the Prince was indeed the blood of a God, then the beast should not have harmed him, and he could have sliced it just as easily as he would a tame dog, chains pinning it down or not.

Leon could see the reflection of his eyes in the puddle of water dripping on the floor by his feet. He looked like a boy once again, whimpering after a failed sparring game with one of his friends, in the alleyway behind his old patron’s home. He had never even dreamt of being anything other than ordinary; why would his parents have abandoned him and his sister otherwise? He had tried to search for their faces in his memories for years, until eventually he had gotten himself accustomed to the thought that, perhaps, they were simply not worth knowing anymore.

“Maybe it is true, Leon,” Gloria sighed and sat back. “We are orphans… We know nothing of our past, or our parents. Soon, everyone will come looking for you, asking questions you know we neither of us can answer. And the worst of them all already has us chained now-”

The creaking of the door cut Gloria off, and from behind it popped a pretty head, bright red and pale of skin, yet the look etched in her eyes seemed by far more menacing than the Orpheo’s. Gloria leaned back and put the rag down, as if waiting for orders, but when none came, she tensed and stood up on her feet by her brother.

“On behalf of the King?” the woman inquired. She knew it was not her place to ask questions then, but she would rather fill the silence than let Leon speak. The man, on the other side, stared at the prophet with narrowed eyes and kept his fists clenched nervously. “We know nothing,” she said. “My brother does not know how, or why he was able to slay the chimera.”

The distrust and carefully tempered fear was clear on the woman’s face as she rose to protest any knowledge of why her brother had been able to slay the chimera. Lia’s gaze flickered between them both, noting the hunched, defensive postures they both shared. They both cut striking figures with their golden eyes and golden-brown hair, and looking at them up close, she could pick out a few similarities between them and the images she’d seen of Alexandra. There was also an aura of sorts around them, a powerful air that Lia had only truly felt the few times she’d come face to face with one of the gods. She’d never gotten that sense from Orpheo. Clearly, these two were truly of godly blood.

Lia shook her head. “I’m not here for Orpheo,” she assured them. “He doesn’t even know that I’m here. He’d have my head if he knew why I was here.” She held her hands up, palms toward the twins in a gesture to show that she meant no harm as she slowly took a few steps toward them before pausing again. They were probably right to be wary of her and Lia inwardly cursed herself for saying off the bat that she worked for Orpheo. She should have just left that part out.

For a moment, she wondered if she should reveal to the twins definitely that they carried the blood of a goddess in their veins, that it was that heritage that had allowed the hoplite to slay the chimera. But then Demetria’s words echoed in the back of her mind. Tell no one. Did that include the very twins she needed? Lia wasn’t sure. But she was terrified of angering a goddess as powerful as Demetria, so it would be in her best interest not to reveal what she knew about the twins’ parentage until she knew for certain that it was alright to tell them.

That did mean, however, that she was going to have to lie to these two about why she was helping them. Surely, it couldn’t be that difficult though. They did need to know that they were vital to helping her stop whatever catastrophe was coming and she could claim that was the only reason why she was helping them. Over the years, Lia had learned that the best lies were those that were close to the truth. That was what made them believable. She could probably tell them everything she knew save for the fact that they were the children of Alexandra and that it had been Demetria who told her that.

Taking a deep breath, sorting her thoughts, she plowed ahead. “As I said, I serve as Orpheo’s prophet. The gods have granted me visions since I was very young. They are always revolving around death or destruction to some degree.” That statement was usually what set people on guard, immediately making them regard her with much more wariness. Lia was expecting it from both the hoplite and his sister, especially given how careful they were already being with her. She’d be more surprised if they didn’t seem fazed at all by it.

“Last night, I had a vision that a terrible calamity was going to befall Daelos. Unfortunately, the nature of the calamity was not quite clear to me as visions are fickle things, but this…this was perhaps the most terrifying vision I’ve ever had.” Not a lie at all – meeting Demetria had sent Lia into an internal panic. Demetria was the most powerful god she’d ever communed with, after all. “Whatever is coming for Daelos, it is horrid, and many people will suffer and die because of it.” She tried to stress how dangerous this event was, which again, wasn’t really a lie. Although Demetria hadn’t clarified the event, surely it had to be something awful for Demetria to be the one bearing the message. Lia shuddered to even think about what could cause the goddess of the dead to intervene in the affairs of mortals.

Looking up, Lia locked eyes with the twins, her gaze turning pleading. “I’ve come to you because, despite the suffering in my vision, there was hope. A hope that this calamity could be stopped, and at the center of that hope, were the two of you. When I first saw the vision, I wasn’t sure who was the source of hope. But after tonight, seeing you slay the chimera,” she glanced at the hoplite, “and then seeing you rushing to his aid, “her eyes turned to the woman, “I knew that you were the two people I’d seen. I can feel the connection.” Finally, a small piece of untruth, but Lia had felt connections between people and her visions before. Orpheo’s father was a prime example. She prayed the twins believed her.

“I don’t…I don’t know how you two can stop whatever is coming, but I know that I need your help to stop it,” she pressed on, a desperate note coming into her voice. “That’s why I’ve come here tonight. I want to help you escape before Orpheo can do anything to you.” Her voice dropped, becoming far softer, fearing the guard might overhear what she said. “I sent him off on a fool’s errand to find your sword, hoplite, as I told him that was how you’d slain the chimera. He has his men searching the city for it now but he plans to question you tomorrow himself. You have to escape before the morning comes. If you don’t… I don’t know what Orpheo will do to you for taking away what he believes his birthright and glory.”

In that moment, Gloria resembled a lioness more than a woman. Her eyes were glowing, fixated on the prophet, no wonder weighing the truth of her words. Leon knew his sister, and knew she was too cautious to trust someone merely by the look in their eyes. In her silence, she stood still, unmoving like a marble statue, whilst Orpheo’s prophet explained her purpose in a low but determined voice. Inbetween her breaks, the fire crackled and danced on their faces, casting tall, fearsome shadows on the floor beneath.

She looked nothing like what Leon would have imagined a sybil to be. Lia was short of stature, narrow and pale, yet she did have an aura of fierceness about her which, for one reason of another, made her claims to be all the more believable. Although shaken, Leon listened to what she had to say in spite of his sister’s stiffness; frankly, the fight had rendered him so numb, that the thought of arguing in that moment sounded like the last thing he would wish to waste the remainder of his energy on.

They both knew then that Leon slaying the chimera had not been any meaningless occurrence. Still, Gloria kept her fists clenched and nails digging into her palm. It could all be a trap, fashioned to pull the truth from their tongues with regards to the King. Perchance a plot, to see if they dared flee from the punishment of the King. Betrayal would cost them their heads, but concurrently, if they were questioned and found guilty, they and theirs would suffer all the same for staining Orpheo’s name.

“And you would betray your King for an uncertain vision?” Gloria canted her head. Leon could almost hear her hissing between words, albeit calm and ice cold. He pulled slightly on her wrist, lips pursed and eyes almost pleading.

“There is no point in denying something is out of the ordinary,” he said. “You asked me yourself, sister, and I don’t believe you are as ignorant as you’re trying to be. Orpheo is nothing before… whatever God gave her that vision,” he added, looking over to Lia. “I want to believe you simply because it is not my place to die tomorrow. I know I did the right thing.”

Gloria swallowed but said nothing for the time being. She crossed her arms, back straight and gaze lost somewhere on the shadows dancing on the marble floor. Whether the prophet wanted to help them in favour of Orpheo or merely did not want to fail before the Gods, that was none of their concern. All Gloria wanted to know was that she could trust Lia to get her brother out of the castle safely, before they were questioned in regards to the magical sword that has done the deed of a Demigod. Eventually, she lifted her gaze to meet Lia’s again and took a deep breath in, “I will have questions,” she said. “We have no hope but to trust you, yet I swear from the bottom of my soul that if you do betray us, I will curse you from the Underworld.”

Leon’s neck tensed again as he eyed her sister. He still had the mind of a boy - as Gloria often liked to point out - but he did trust Lia, and for a good reason. What would Orpheo earn from sending her to free them? What would she earn from protecting them from the wrath of the King if her reason behind following the Gods’ vision was malevolent? He knew better than to doubt a woman, small framed as she was, for he knew how fierce his sister could be when provoked, but judging by the look in her eyes and the lack of tremor in her voice, she at the very least spoke words flavored with some truth.

Suddenly cold and aware of his situation, Leon rushed behind him to pull his shirt back over his head, face red and wincing at the realization of his bareness. It was bloodied and riddled with dirt, but he counted on the darkness of the night to hide that from any curious pedestrians. “We have to go then,” he said almost breathlessly as he tried to adjust the hems of his clothing. “When do we go?” He addressed Lia this time, much to his sister’s concern, who seemed more comfortable in that room than following one of Orpheo’s ex-servants.

Lia couldn’t say that she blamed the woman for questioning her, especially after everything that had already happened today. So far, the woman and her brother had been effectively thrown into prison – even if Orpheo hadn’t actually put them down in the dungeons yet – for stealing the prince’s glory and now Lia was telling them that if they stayed they were probably going to die, which was something they had probably deduced for themselves already. The woman was right to be on edge, but Lia also couldn’t deny that she was slightly frustrated by the distrust the woman regarded her with. Lia was trying to save their lives.

“I would betray the king to save the people of Daelos,” Lia said firmly, evenly meeting the woman’s glittering golden eyes. “I do not believe that Orpheo would let you live even if I pleaded with him, even if it meant stopping something terrible from happening. He is young and brash and has little experience in leading. With his wounded pride, I believe he will focus more on regaining his honor than the consequences that will result from killing the both of you. So, yes, because the gods have spoken to me with this warning, even if it may be uncertain, I betray my king for the good of the people of Daelos.”

Of course, in admitting that she was going to betray the king she’d sworn loyalty to, Lia knew that she was setting herself up as someone who was willing to betray anyone, even these two. She didn’t doubt that the woman would make that connection, which would only make it more difficult for Lia to earn their trust. But that was a problem that she was going to focus on later. Right now, the main thing that they all had to focus on was getting out of the palace before Orpheo killed them. Once that task was accomplished, then Lia could figure out how to keep the twins trusting her and keep them close to her. And figure out how they could stop what was coming.

That was something else she knew she needed to figure out at some point, which was kind of important. Just what was it about these twins that was so special that Demetria needed them to stop the coming cataclysm? Was it just because of their godly heritage? Or was there something else at play? Lia wished that she’d had more time to talk to Demetria before the goddess had left. Maybe she should try and contact Denetria again at some point soon.

For the first time since Lia had entered the room, the hoplite spoke to her. Thankfully, he seemed far more willing to trust her than his sister did. Well, if at least one of them trusted her, then maybe this could still work. She nodded her head in his direction, a quiet thanks toward his belief in her even if his sister had no such plans to be as lenient with Lia, as evidenced by the promise to curse Lia should she betray the twins.

She dipped her head to the woman. “I have no intention of betraying you,” she promised, even though Lia didn’t know what was going to become of them. If Demetria ordered Lia to do something that could be called betraying the twins…who was Lia to deny the goddess if it was for the good of Daelos? “And I will answer any of your questions as best I can, but you must understand how fickle and tricky the gods are.” Even with the information that she did have, Lia herself still had many questions that were impossible for her to answer, which could make it difficult to answer any questions the twins had.

The hoplite was speaking again as he shrugged his shirt back over his body. Lia hesitated to answer, clearly uncertain about the question herself. She’d never tried to free people from under Orpheo’s nose before. “We can’t leave now,” she said, shifting her weight, mind racing as she tried to come up with the best way to go about this. “I’ll come back for the both of you when the moon is high, when Orpheo is most certainly asleep. I know my way around the castle and through the servants’ passageways. Those are the best way to get out of the castle undetected. I’ll…have to find a way to get rid of the guard in front of the door, but I’ll figure something out. Once we leave the room, I’ll take you along the passageways that let out the farthest away from the castle.” Where they were going to go after that, Lia had no idea, but she was trying to focus on one thing at a time for the moment. Once they were safe from Orpheo, then they could figure out their next move.

Frankly, Leon would have expected his sister to be more stiff regarding Lia’s plan. Neither of them trusted anyone who served Orpheo - and for a few good reasons - but he had a feeling not everyone levitating around him truly served him out of pure willingness and love for his person. In Leon’s eyes - and he thought he could speak for more than himself in this case - the King was not the most likeable person, and certainly quick to anger especially when his honour was questioned by a poor hoplite. His heart thudded quickly at the thought that, if he was found guilty of some sort of treason or witchcraft, his sister would be condemned as well, and he knew she was too smart not to have thought about it, herself.

Without a family, it would have been hard for anyone to grow up into a shining individual. There were even greater expectations for a leader, and particularly the blood of a God, and even from so far away, Leon could tell that Orpheo’s advisors had not done their part in teaching him kindness and pity. Mercy. His blood boiled at the thought of him near any child or young woman in Athelos. He was quick of temper and thought everything that moved or breathed belonged in his service, that he could do with it whatever he pleased. He had not gotten the chance to see him up close, but from a distance, the sickly, damp pallor of his skin made his own crawl. He wondered, for a moment, if he had attributed any other duties to the young woman standing before him during her time of service.

“You are right,” Gloria swallowed quickly and took a step back at a nervous pace. “We cannot leave while everyone is awake. I can only imagine outside they are all up and whispering of what Leon did.”

The young man pursed his lips and lowered his eyes almost in abashment, but Gloria knew him all too well to catch the glimpse of pride in his gaze, as well. It was no small deal to slay a chimera, let alone one brought from Amasia’s Island specifically for the likes of the King. “I pray you come looking for us before they do,” she added then, eyeing Lia. “I will count the minutes until you do. This place… It is no temple. It does not feel right.”

‘Yet it belongs to Anastasius.’ Gloria knew, or at the very least wanted to convince herself she did. Indeed, Orpheo was the son of a vengeful King and a careless Queen, but he was still a demigod, still holy and capable of receiving guidance from his paternal God. She should have felt safe within the castle, knowing the Gods would not let them be executed in injustice, but a part of her - the majority of her conscience - knew better than that.

For the time that Gloria spoke, almost threatening the prophet in her own harmless way, Leon contemplated their escape. It would be difficult to trick the guards at night, when none would be expecting for the King to give any orders, but to be sound asleep as well as his servants. They could certainly not lie about such duties; the only true possibility was disguise, which was partially more palpable, but still complicated to pull off, especially by the hand of one person. They could do nothing from their prison chamber, so their saviour could easily turn into their future damnation if their plan - whatever that came to be - took even the slightest wrong turn.

The hoplite took a breath in and stretched out his back again. The scraped skin on his back hurt and stung, but he nonchalantly chose to ignore it, at least for the time being. “I trust you,” he said plainly, to his sister’s despair. “I know my sister doubts you, and perhaps I should too, but unless we come out with a better plan ourselves, you are all we can count on.” He let out another breath and let himself fall back on the ottoman behind him. “Let us wait, then. At midnight.”

e1ea6b0eff6e14da407b2cdf739aeb67.jpg
The threat in the woman’s voice was obvious as she claimed to be counting the minutes until Lia returned. Lia could not help but agree with what she said about the palace either. It was something that Lia had noticed when she first arrived here. Orpheo was supposed to have the blood of Anastasius in his veins, but Lia had never felt any sort of presence of the god of wealth from here before. There were faint echoes of a feeling, but nothing more beyond that. She’d never been quite able to figure out why.

Lia was a little surprised that the hoplite was so quick to trust her when his twin showed such doubt. But she was grateful for it, and dipped her head, flashing him a hesitant smile. “I thank you for your trust,” she murmured. “I will get you both out of here. Until midnight.” With that, she turned on her heel and walked back over to the door, rapping on it a few times. The guard opened it, his javelin held at the ready in case either twin tried to escape, and he watched them distrustfully until Lia was out of the room and the door was shut.

Upon exiting the room, Lia thanked the guard for his cooperation before straightening and beginning to walk back toward her chambers. Her mind was racing as she tried to think of how she was going to convince the guard to leave his post or let the hoplite and his sister out of the room. Well, it was unlikely that they would be allowed to leave under any circumstances unless Orpheo himself was there to decree it. That left getting the guard to leave. Could Lia dress up as a guard and claim she was there for a change in shift? No, that was foolish, she could never pass as a guard with her slight stature. Could she pay a guard off to leave? No, she didn’t have enough gold to overrule the fear they had of Orpheo. What did that leave her with? Knocking the guard out? That, too, was implausible, she wasn’t a fighter in any sense of the word.

She was so lost in her thoughts as she walked that she didn’t notice the man standing just around the corner. Lia would have walked past him, still musing, but without warning, his hand shot out and grabbed her arm. Lia yelped in surprise, spinning around with wide eyes to face a tall, tanned, and imposing figure looking down at her, eyes sparkling with curiosity. Lia immediately recognized the man: Nikolai Aetós, the only son of the head of the Aetós family, who had been deemed a disgrace because he’d gone against Orpheo’s orders in a battle.

Suddenly wary, Lia regarded Nikolai with some suspicion. “Can I help you?” she asked, glancing between his face and where he was holding her arm.

Nikolai seemed to realize how firm his grip was and he released Lia immediately, leaning one shoulder against the wall and loosely crossing his arms over his chest. “What’s Orpheo doing sending in a pretty thing like you to talk to a brute that can slay a chimera?” he asked with a coy smile and Lia’s heart dropped into her chest. He’d seen her going into the room?

“I’m uncertain as to what you’re talking about, Lord Aetós,” Lia replied stiffly. Nikolai sighed.

“You can drop the ‘lord’ bit, lady prophetess,” he drawled as he flashed her a dazzling smile. “A pretty thing like you can just call me Niko.” Now, it was Lia’s turn to sigh. Most people were well aware of Nikolai’s flirtatious mannerisms. Rumor had it that he’d slept around with more than a few of the palace servants, was known for seducing noblewomen from other families, and had supposedly even had a thing with a fellow soldier while he was off at war. Lia was not looking to be another one of his conquests.

“Milord,” she said firmly, causing a pout that most women would probably melt at to cross his features, “I do not know what it is you wish of me. Is there something that I can help you with? If there is not, I am rather fatigued and would like to return to my chambers.”

“If we’re returning to chambers, you could always come and stay in mine,” he winked, causing Lia to shoot him a blistering glare. “Alright, alright, darling, no need to get angry,” he chuckled, shaking his head a little.

When he looked up though, there was a seriousness to his features, the levity he’d been displaying gone. Lia was a little taken aback by the sudden change and she shifted back a half-step. “You don’t need to lie to me about the fact that you went in to talk to the hoplite, darling,” he said idly, staring down at her.

Lia swallowed nervously. “Orpheo sent me in to–”

Nikolai waved her off. “Please, I was hanging around outside the throne room. He told you to go and get some rest to be ready when he questioned the pair of them tomorrow. So, that means you went to talk to them on your own.” Nikolai cocked a brow, daring her to deny it. Lia remained silent. “So then, why did you go and talk to the hoplite?”

“I fail to see how that’s any of your concern, milord,” Lia snapped defensively.

“Do you think Orpheo would like it if he learned that his most trusted toy was misbehaving?” Nikolai asked coyly as he tilted his head, watching Lia. It was no secret that Orpheo favored his prophet. In fact, Nikolai might even go so far as to say that the king had a bit of a crush on the woman. Whether Lia was aware of it or not, he couldn’t say, because she was always the epitome of gentle professionalism around Orpheo.

The muscles in Lia’s jaw clenched. “What is it you want, exactly, Lord Aetós?” she asked lowly.

He leaned forward conspiratorially, his voice dropping to a low whisper. “I want to congratulate him,” he smirked, “on taking Orpheo down a few pegs. And I would love to see him piss Orpheo off even more by escaping whatever punishment our oh-so-benevolent king is cooking up for him.”

Lia jerked back, eyes wide, as Nikolai straightened up again and flashed her another flirtatious smile. “You seem surprised, little prophet. Surely, it makes sense why I’d want to see Orpheo undermined. Honestly, his reaction today was hilarious. The look on his face when the hoplite jumped in? Priceless. I want it on a portrait to hang in my room.”

By that point, Lia had tuned out most of what he was saying. Instead, she had zeroed in on what Nikolai had said about wanting to see the hoplite escape punishment. Did Nikolai mean that? Because if he did…he might be Lia’s only option to get the twins out. All of the ideas she thought of were absolutely useless, but Nikolai was someone who could disguise himself as another guard and relieve whoever was currently on duty. That would give them an open window to flee out of. But was Nikolai trustworthy?

…It didn’t seem like she had much of a choice but to try.

“Did you mean it?” she asked brusquely, looking up and meeting his gaze.

“About the portrait?” Nikolai asked in confusion. “Of course I did, I might actually find someone to commission for it tomorrow–”

“No, not about the portrait! About…wanting to see the hoplite escape punishment.”

The way Lia asked that question gave Nikolai some pause. He looked down at her, curiosity, surprise, and calculations flashing through his gaze. He didn’t know much about the prophet who Orpheo had taken into his court. It seemed like no one really knew anything about Lia except for the fact that she predicted disasters and had predicted the death of Orpheo’s father, which was enough to convince the boy-king to take her into his court for his own uses. Because of his limited knowledge about Lia, it was difficult to tell what she meant by the question. There was hesitation in her body language, a tense fear running through her. Was she…also wanting to see the hoplite escape punishment? Entirely? Was she planning on helping the hoplite escape?

A wicked smirk made its way over Nikolai’s features. “Well, well, well, is the prophet turning traitor?” he teased. Lia flushed, opening her mouth to take back what she’d just said, but Nikolai’s hand shot out and covered her mouth, allowing only an indignant mph to escape. “Just to clarify, darling, I think traitors are hot.” He winked again, his smirk widening. “Most people in the court already consider me one anyway. I’d like to give them an even better reason to think so.”

Ever since Nikolai had refused to march into battle against the Helioke armies with a half-dead legion of soldiers who most certainly would have been crushed and killed, Orpheo had branded him as a disgrace to his family name and the crown. Nikolai had been sure that his father would stand up for him against Orpheo – after all, even though Daelos had lost some ground and a bit of territory because Nikolai had retreated, he’d saved the lives of thousands of soldiers – but his father had sided with Orpheo. Nikolai had almost been cast out of the family entirely. The only thing that had saved him had been his past successes and the hope that this fall from grace would teach him to be more loyal so he could eventually claim his birthright as the head of the Aetós family since he was an only child.

But now, Nikolai didn’t want to become the head of his family. Not if it meant serving the likes of Orpheo, who favored victory over the lives of his own people. Orpheo was a selfish, foolish man who had no idea how to lead. And now, he might not even be the son of a god, which might revoke his claim to the throne. Nikolai was curious to see what had happened with this hoplite if he was a demigod who could contest Orpheo for the throne. After all, the hoplite had only jumped in to slay the chimera because it had been about to attack other people. That meant the hoplite was selfless, which already made him better than Orpheo.

Plus, Lia had a link to the gods. If she was going against Orpheo to free the hoplite, then maybe there was something bigger at play here.

“If you want to see the hoplite escape punishment as much as I do, that means you’re planning on breaking him out, aren’t you?” Nikolai asked directly. Lia glanced on the ground, looking anywhere but him, before realizing that it was too late for her now. If Nikolai was planning on turning her in, he had enough evidence to do so. Thus, she nodded her head silently.

It was only then that Nikolai removed his hand from her mouth. “Perfect. Let me help.”

Lia’s head shot up. “What?” she mouthed like a fish.

Nikolai chuckled, ruffling her hair a little. “You really think you can get the guard to leave long enough to get them out?” She flushed, glancing at the ground again. “Come on, darling, I’m useful. I’m used to living off the land, I know how to hunt, and I know a place where we can get some supplies and such before we really set out on the run from the king.”

For several moments, Lia went back and forth in her mind. Like before, she kept running up against the wall of not knowing how to move the guard. And, she was now realizing, she didn’t know how to live off the land like they might have to do to keep a low profile. Nikolai did from his years at war.

Finally, Lia sighed in defeat. “Alright,” she said. “You can help. Meet me in the halls near where the hoplite is being held and make yourself look like a normal guard. Tell whoever is there you’ve come to take the post. Then, we can get them out through the servant’s passageways.”

Nikolai grinned excitedly. “Wonderful. It’ll be my pleasure to help a beautiful lady such as yourself.” A darker light flashed through his eyes. “And to stick it to Orpheo.”

༺༻​

Midnight came far more quickly than Lia was hoping it would. After she’d left Nikolai, she’d fled back to her chambers, changing into a shorter tunic and loose pants that would make traveling easier. She packed a small bag as well with just a few things like extra clothing, a book or two, and she left space to put some food in since she planned to take them through the kitchen. Lia also grabbed some cloaks the hoplite and his sister could use to cover themselves.

After she had packed, Lia slipped through the hallways, constantly looking over her shoulder as she darted toward the hoplite’s room. As she was rounding the final corner, she almost ran straight into a guard. Lia squeaked, scrambling back with wide eyes as he turned around, terror shooting through her. But then, the guard flashed a smile and chuckled.

“No need to be so scared, darling, it’s just me,” Nikolai’s smooth baritone floated out. “I see you’re packed and ready.” He nodded at her bag.

Lia deflated upon realizing that it was just Nikolai. “Yes, but we have no time to waste,” she said briskly. “Go on and get rid of the guard.”

“Bossy, bossy,” Nikolai tutted, but he was grinning as he turned on his heel and walked through the hallway, turning a corner and coming upon the door. Lia glanced nervously around the corner, watching as Nikolai spoke to the guard for a few moments. Given the late hour, the guard didn’t question his relief at all, only seeming grateful that someone had come to let him go. Lia pressed herself against the wall as the guard walked away, breathing out a sigh of relief once he was gone.

She crept back out to the door, glancing up at Nikolai. “Better hurry, darling,” he winked, and Lia resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

Carefully, she pushed the door open, her eyes immediately shooting up to see the twins. She slipped inside, pulling out the cloaks she’d brought for them and held them out. “We need to hurry,” she said in a hushed voice, wincing a little as she realized that she should probably mention Nikolai. “And…the guard you’ll see outside isn’t really a guard. It’s Nikolai Aetós, and he’s helping me get you both out.”

Last edited:
Gloria had been pacing back and forth through the tight chamber as time passed, far too slow for either of their liking, but Leon found himself considerably more calm than his sister. In any given situation, she would have been the silent and ever contemplating one, but the adrenaline that had rushed through his veins had died out, now replaced by a harrowing numbness, spiked by fear. They were both faced with the unknown, with a problem that not even his sister’s clear mind could ever solve.

Their fate was in the hands of a prophetess. A stranger.

In the dying light of the fire, Gloria resembled more of a lurking phantom than a flesh and bone woman. She seemed pale and frail, but determined in her steps, like her frantic walking had a purpose. ”Do you think it could be true?” he muttered eventually as he leaned against the cold wall behind him. He winced at the brushing of his scars against the stone. “Do you think we could be... That Orpheo could be...”

“We know nothing of our parents,” she breathed out softly. “Our family were kind enough to take us in, they are good people who praise the Gods and would not have hidden such things.” Gloria was too lucid in that moment. Her mind moved like oiled up gears as she fiddled with her fingers, her belt or the rims of her toga. “As for Orpheo...” She stopped for a moment, letting out another sigh. “For all we know he is the legitimate son of the late King... He bears his hair. The eyes are of his mother. It does us no good to dwell on phylosophical theories at this very moment. The prophet...”

She stopped herself there and closed her eyes. The silence of the room engulfed her, and she felt a tightness in her chest unlike any that had dawned upon her before. “I think we are missing a piece of a very complex riddle. That’s what life is, isn’t it? Our purpose. It is all a riddle that plays out until the very end. And if I do go by your judgement here, Leon, then perhaps the prophet is our hint in this situation.” Regardless and without question she was their way out. If she had intended on turning them in to Orpheo for plotting an escape, she would have done so by now. As loyal as anyone could be to a King, the limit was always the word of a God.

As the clock turned, their only way of approximating the time was by the movement of the moon above Athelos. Through the narrow window, Leon peeked out every now and then, wondering if Lia had been caught by Orpheo’s guards trying to sneak out of her quarters, or if she had left to seek them at all. It was not long until his dark thoughts and what-ifs were smothered by the light creaking of the door, and before he could get up to instinctively place himself before his sister, Lia fluttered in like a moth, features dark and concerned. Leon felt almost embarrassed by his reaction, straightening his back and tensing his jaw muscles. He could read the expression of surprise and relief of Gloria’s face, who in her silence was wordlessly thanking Lia for not having betrayed their hopes of escaping.

Surprisingly, she was the first to reach for the cloaks Lia brought for them. Gloria clutched it in her fists and pulled it over her with haste, before shaking her head to release her brown braid from underneath the hood. The name Aetós was not foreign to her, or to any other Athelosi who was more or less up to date with the events in the capital. He knew him to be a traitor to the crown, but right then, any enemy or Orpheo was a friend to them. And frankly, the royal had brought it upon himself for banishing a noble swordsman for his ethical choices. Deep inside, she thought there was no other person suitable to help with their escape than a royal warrior turned against the crown.

Leon lead the way outside the chamber as he pulled the hood over his head. The air outside in the corridor was chilly, much more breathable than the one in their smoke imbued torture chamber. He eyed the stranger well for a few moments, nodding his head, before looking down at Lia hoping for reassurance. “I suppose you know where you will be taking us,” he said softly.

“No need for chatting,” Gloria murmured. “Please... Let us just go. This place gives me chills.” She could not care less for the prophet and her armoured puppet, so long as they got the two of them out of the castle, with as little harm as humanly possible.

Once both of the twins had swept their cloaks around then, Lia hurried after the hoplite as he led the way out the chambers. Nikolai looked up, his gaze darting back and forth along the hallways to ensure that no one was coming this way before his attention turned to the two twins. He couldn’t see much of their faces, given the way the cloaks were covering them, so he only nodded to each of them in turn.

Lia glanced at the hoplite as he asked where they were going, but his twin was butting before she could answer. Nikolai chuckled beside them. “Two bossy women,” he grinned with a nonchalance that was entirely inappropriate for the situation they were in. “And what might be the name of the fair one hiding under her cloak here?” Nikolai assumed that she’d introduce her brother as well, which was why he didn’t bother asking for the hoplite’s name. Lia was secretly glad that Nikolai had done so, since she realized at that moment that she hadn’t gotten either of their names yet.

After waiting for Nikolai to be given an answer, Lia gestured for the other three to follow after her. Silently, she picked her way through the hall, leading them over to a wall behind a large tapestry depicting Anastasius in all his godly glory. Lia slipped behind it, pressing gently against the wall until it swung open, giving way to one of the servant’s passageways. “This will lead us down to the kitchen,” she said, glancing back at the hoplite and his sister. “I assume you both must be hungry by now.”

Reaching up to the wall on the side, Lia went up on her toes to tug down a torch from the handle it was hooked into before fishing out some flint. Striking the flint, she lit the torch so they would be able to see in the darkness of the servants’ passageways. Without a word, she started leading them forward, clearly sharing the hoplite’s sister’s desire to get out of the castle as quickly as possible.

She was tense and on edge as they moved, half-afraid that they were going to run into a servant who was doing some kind of late-night run. It was not only possible, but probable, a fact that Lia had neglected to mention to anyone here in the group. At least they would probably be able to see anyone approaching because they would almost certainly have a torch of their own lit. Still, that didn’t really ease Lia’s tension. She doubted that she would relax at all until they were out of the castle. Even then, she wondered if she’d be able to relax though, given the precarious situation they’d all found themselves in.

Nikolai, for his part, just seemed to exude confidence and nonchalance even as they crept through the dank tunnels. His head was held high and his stride was that of a self-assured man. Despite his outward appearance though, Nikolai kept his hand close to his sword hanging at his hip, ready to draw it at a moment’s notice. His gaze was sharp as he glanced around the halls, eyes peering through the shadows as he watched for anyone who might happen upon them. He was tense and wary, even if he didn’t show it.

Going against Orpheo to save the lives of his soldiers was one thing. This was entirely different. Nikolai was assisting in the escape of two prisoners who Orpheo had a personal grudge against. If they got caught, there was nothing in all the world that would be able to salvage Nikolai’s reputation. Or his life. He had no doubt that Orpheo would order them to be executed on the spot.

So…Nikolai just hoped Lia knew what she was doing enough to get them out of the palace.

After several minutes of tense, silent walking, Lia approached another door, slowly pushing it open a crack and poking her head out. They were in the kitchens, which were, thankfully, void of any people. Lia breathed a sigh of relief. Once they’d gotten some food, they just had to slip out the side door, make their way through the palace courtyards, and then they were home free.

“We’re here at the kitchen,” she called back lowly to the trio as she pushed the door open and stepped out, blowing out her torch and setting it in another holder on the wall. “Grab some food, but hurry. We don’t want to stay in one place for too long.”

Although eternally grateful Lia had found someone to help them escape the prison that was Orpheo’s palace, Gloria knew immediately that the man would be trouble. Even through the embellished golden helmet, she could sense Nikolai was smirking, far too proud with himself for being assigned to lead the party to safety. She could tell by his stance that he was ready to protect them if need be, an element which soothed the rash caused by his conceit.

The woman took a deep breath in and pursed her lips. “Gloria,” she said, “and my brother…”

“Leon,” the other continued. Gloria’s expression softened slightly, as though only then reminded that Leon was still by her side, still alive, still well. The fear she had felt when Orpheo’s guard had snatched him from her grip compared to no other. Still, her heart beat quickly and loudly, but a ravenous courage within her allowed her to keep her poise. A poise which she knew was only inspired by her twin.

With that, the two of them proceeded right behind their saviours, ears perked and eyes shifting from one corner of the narrow hallway to the other. The darkness made it almost impossible to tell what they were about to step on, be it a carpet or an unexpected flight of stairs. Even with the dim fire dancing before them, from behind, all Leon could see were the outlines of their hoods against its light. It did not take them long to reach what would be the entrance to their safeway tunnel, which Lia seemed to know the secret of all too well. Upon seeing it, it made Leon wonder if the prophetess had ever planned escaping one day, with or without a purpose such as the present.

Lia was cautious, and so was her disguised friend, to a point which made Leon wonder if his steps were too loud in comparison to theirs. Gloria paced beside him, slightly ahead of the folds of his cape, almost tucked between them like a praised gift. Leon’s mind worked like oiled-up gears then, careful of the path ahead and skeptical of their solitude, staying the farthest behind to ensure no-one surprised them. He no longer had his sword, now likely somewhere in the possession of an unlucky audience member who would be found and questioned by Orpheo come the following morning. The absence of a blade always made him nervous, but he knew how to fight quite well without a weapon, as well.

“Gods,” Gloria breathed out as she watched Lia light up the torch. She was grateful for the light, no longer having to worry about tumbling down some marble stairs.

As they reached the kitchens, she was the first one to remove her hood and almost prance up to the trapway leading into the cellar. Leon stayed slightly behind, eyeing the corners of the room as if some servant might still be there, hiding, expecting them in the darkness. His neck was tense and his jaw clenched tightly, but he did not comment on hi sister’s hasty approach. He was hungry, and he knew neither of them could put up a fight on an empty stomach. Once they left the castle, they would spend a while on their own - that, if they were lucky enough to not run into a flock of guards.

“Here, hold this,” Gloria called from the darkness. As she returned to Leon, who was still in the middle of the stairway leading down, she threw a heavy bag into his hands and disappeared back into the cellar. Under Lia’s dimly lit torch, Leon could tell it was a sack of potatoes, perhaps large enough to last them a day or two.

“I have no weapons, I will hold them,” he called back to the pair, specifically addressing Nikolai. Under no circumstance would he let the prophetess burden herself with sacks of food, especially not when Leon knew he could not make himself of much use otherwise.

Gloria eventually returned for a second time, with two smaller sacks in her hands. Her chest was heaving and her golden eyes stared up at Lia’s torch from the bottom of the cellar. “We must go,” she said quickly, before passing the bags to her brother and hurrying up the ladder. “I got potatoes, ham and some cheese,” she breathed out as she got to the top. “It should last us enough to get by, I could not find anything prepared.”

The entirety of the royal kitchen seemed odd to her. Back home, Rhoda always used to leave out pieces of cooked chicken and seasoned olives for them to snack on if they grew peckish at night, a classic occurrence with her husband, Solon, who sometimes studied into the first hours of the morning. Everything there, however, seemed too sterile, not inviting, and smelling of dirt more than anything remotely edible.

She pulled her hood back over her head and reclaimed her place by her brother. Leon looked over to Lia, fingers clutching the bags securely. He knew all too well that they had only passed the easy half of their escape route. “Lead us out of here. I’m watching behind us, and if something happens from here on, you and Gloria run, and we will hold them back.” Despite not knowing her, Leon still felt a slight sense of protectiveness over Lia; he saw his sister in her, and saw fierceness masking fragility. No matter what her purpose was, if their mission proved unsuccessful, he wanted to die knowing he had, at least, given the two of them a chance at escaping.

Lia felt like her skin was crawling with nerves as the woman, who had named herself as Gloria, rushed immediately for the cellar while barely giving a glance around to ensure that no one was around. Of course, it was unlikely that anyone would be, but there were some times when servants who would sneak down here every now and again to snatch a few extra morsels of food for themselves. She was terrified of that happening tonight. Lia might be able to pass off Gloria and her brother Leon as servants – though the cloaks would be difficult to explain – but what could she say about Nikolai? A guard down here in the kitchens with three servants at this hour? There was no good way to explain that.

While Gloria went to raid the cellar, Nikolai moved closer to the normal entryway of the kitchen, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword. All his senses were strained, listening for the sound of someone who might be coming. His finger tapped against the hilt of his blade in an even rhythm, trying to keep himself from seeing too on edge in front of everyone. He’d be damned if he lost his cool confidence in front of these people, especially the two extremely attractive women. Still, he knew he had to be on alert for even the slightest sign of trouble.

The sound of Gloria’s voice was enough to make Lia flinch at the noise. Everything seemed too loud, even though the woman was being relatively quiet. Lia held the torch up to try and somewhat light the cellar as Gloria passed things up to Leon and he made some comment about carrying them himself. Lia felt a little guilty about him carrying everything, but she didn’t really trust herself to be carting around sacks of food while also trying to navigate them through the palace and she didn’t have the voice to protest at the moment.

It was only once Gloria and Leon exited the cellar with their bounty of food that Nikolai left his post and came over to them. Before Lia could say anything about wherever she was going to lead them out, he cut in, “Actually, I have a better plan than whatever it is you’re thinking, darling,” he said as he winked at her, causing Lia to huff in annoyance, but he was already plowing on before she could protest. “I’ve already got two horses tacked up for us and if we go through that passage,” he pointed to a door that would lead out into the courtyard near the stables that Lia had been planning on avoiding, “we’ll come out near the stables and we can get on and ride off.” He glanced over at Lia with a crooked, cocky smile, clearly waiting for her to approve the plan.

She didn’t want to, solely for the fact of that stupid grin on his face, but Nikolai did have a good place. Lia would have liked to have been informed of this before now, but there was nothing she could do about it, so she only nodded curtly. “Fine. Take us there.”

Nikolai’s smirk widened as he spun on his heel, guiding the other three after him while he went to the small side passageway. He’d often entered the palace through this door after training so he could grab some food to satiate his hunger. Leaving the kitchen, the four would find themselves in a short passageway that eventually dumped them out in front of the stables. “Wait here,” Nikolai ordered, his voice low.

Under the light of the moon, he crept across the courtyard while Lia stayed with Leon and Gloria, fidgeting restessly. She doused the torch before tossing it off to the side, her fingers then twisting themselves into her hair for something to do until Nikolai returned.

He was leading two stallions when he did. Both were large and powerfully muscled with long, flowing manes and tails. One of them was pure white like virgin snow and the other was a rich roan color. They were already saddled and briddled, ready to depart.

“Here we are,” Nikolai grinned as he haned off the reins of the roan to Leon. “Let’s get this food strapped on and then we can be off.” He took the two smaller sacks of ham and cheese, wrapping them to the back of his saddle and ensuring that everything was properly tied down while allowing Leon to strap the potatoes to the roan. Once all the food was tied down, Nikolai’s languid gaze flickered over to Gloria. “I assume you’ll want to ride with your brother? That’s alright, I know if he wasn’t here you’d be jumping at the chance to ride with me.” He smirked at Gloria before his eyes switched over to Lia. “Well, I’m sure little miss prophetess will be jumping at the chance to ride with me.”

“Tell yourself whatever you want,” Lia muttered under her breath, though not loud enough for Nikolai to catch. She did raise her voice to say, “It doesn’t matter who rides with who. We just need to get out of here.” Dutifully, she walked over to where Nikolai was standing with the white stallion, eyeing the creature warily. She’d never really ridden before and she was a little nervous too now.

Nikolai laced his fingers together and held his hands out for Lia while still giving her that stupid crooked smile. “Up we go, my lady,” he said. Lia shoved her nervousness aside and walked over to the stallion, reaching up to the saddle to brace herself while hauling herself up. When she did, however, the horse’s eyes widened and it snorted, skittering away from her and whinnying. Lia’s ow eyes widened and she scrambled back while Nikolai frowned, jolting upright and hurrying forward to grab the reins.

“Whoa there,” he said, clinging tightly to the reins and trying to calm his steed down. Nikolai’s brow was furrowed in confusion. His horse never acted like this. He was a trained war steed. Why was Lia’s presence causing him to become so skittish?

2FE85F6D-DD86-4D1A-B691-B8FAF3FA33B9.jpeg
Gloria’s heart twisted at Nikolai’s proposal to take another route. She had gotten used to the thought that Lia knew exactly what she was doing and where she was taking them. Aware she was in no position to suggest a plan, as a stranger to the castle and all its inhabitants, she pursed her lips and lowered her head, in a frail attempt to hide her fear. From the corner of her eye, she peeked at her brother, who seemed far more confident in the idea of following a warrior in such circumstances. She could sense he was cautious, tense, but did they truly have a better choice?

They followed Nikolai down the narrow hallway and waited at its mouth as they were prompted to stand still. Gloria made an effort to quiet her thoughts and listen to the silence, wary. She focused her gaze on the bags of food hanging from Leon’s hands, wondering what would happen if their heist was a success and Orpheo’s servants found their chamber empty the following morning. By then, they could be long gone, well out of Athelos and heading North-West, down the lesser known roads.

The moon was bright that night, and the air was warm, soothing. She could feel the breeze on her cheeks and taste the salt in the air. She had not gotten the chance to say goodbye to Rhoda and Solon, nor to reassure them that they were alive and well. Perhaps, once the King discovers their chamber empty, the rumours will reach their ears, and they will know they had taught them well - Leon, a glorious fighter, and Gloria, a witty lioness.

Nikolai’s shape came to light soon, backed by the silhouettes of two well build steeds. Leon’s fingers had clenched so tightly around the sacks of food that their tips had gone completely numb; he tensed his neck and took a step foward, towards the darker steed, and set the sacks on the ground. He held on to the reins as he patted the horse’s forehead lightly; the creature whinnied and shook its head, a gesture resembling a respectful bow, which earned a light chuckle from its new rider.

“He’s well behaved,” the man smiled softly as he went on to strap the food securely to the saddle. He found his fingers were trembling, struggling to tie the knot for a moment. As Gloria neared the steed, Leon pulled back for a moment and set his hand on its back.

“As for the guards?” his sister asked. “I pray you know your way around here, given you made us deviate from our original route.”

Before an answer could be given, Nikolai’s white steed broke the silence with a protest against the prophetess’s touch. Gloria took a step back, startled, and gripped Leon’s shoulder as the horse pulled back and away from Lia. The sight lit a spark inside her mind, one almost bright enough to pretend to whisper her the truth, but Gloria quickly brushed away the thought. The expression written on Leon’s face matched hers, confused but, strangely enough, not surprised.

“Ride with my brother,” the lioness almost ordered as she hurried to the white steed, cape fluttering behind her. “This one’s just a bit difficult, I suppose.” She gently tried her hand at touching the steed, but this once, the animal blinked calmly, likely soothed by the newly found distance between himself and Lia. “I’ve had my fair share of rides, I believe this one will not cause me trouble. Go on,” she gestured towards Leon’s steed, before hopping onto the other one, herself.

Leon frowned slightly as Lia approached him, wary, holding one hand on his steed’s back and digging through its dense fur gently. “Let me help you,” he offered quietly, and did not wait for a response before placing his hands on her waist and lifting her up onto the saddle. They had no time for any more unnecessary commentary; Leon knew all too well time was against them, and he wished for nothing more than to safely flee the capital. At the back of his mind, he still wondered if Lia shared their intentions, or if she was indeed committed to helping them. This, to her, was no longer a nocture escapade. It was treason.

Up on the horse, Leon struggled to place himself so as to not disturb his riding partner. He held one hand on the reins and let another fall right by her waist once again, lightly floating against the cape engulfing her. His steed was oddly calm and obedient to the slightest movement, which made him all the more intrigued by the other’s fright. “Lead the way,” she almost ordered to Nikolai once he claimed his own spot, and settled himself more comfortably in the saddle. With a bit of luck, it would be a long ride ahead.

Standing back away from the stallion as he tossed his head, eyes rolling back to show off their whites, Lia’s heart pounded away in her chest. She’d never been very good with animals and it seemed as though she wasn’t going to be suddenly blessed with an aptitude for them so they could escape. She’d always had a feeling that animals could somehow sense her strange connection to the gods, to the fact that Lia was a walking disaster-predictor, but she’d never technically had definitive proof. But she really didn’t need this to be happening right now, when escape was just within their reach.

“He probably senses your nerves,” Nikolai muttered as he stroked the stallion’s velvety muzzle, urging it to calm down. His gaze flickered up as Gloria paced forward, saying that she’d ride with him, and a wickedly mischievous smirk crossed over his face. “By all means, my lady,” he drawled as he winked on her, not giving a damn at all that her brother was standing right there behind her. Nikolai crouched once more, intending to help Gloria mount the steed, but before he could, she was climbing on herself. He grinned, gripping the saddle and swinging himself up behind her. Unabashedly, Nikolai’s hand immediately snaked around her waist, holding her flush against his chest. “Don’t worry now, you’ll be safe with me, darling,” he whispered against her ear with a grin.

Warily, Lia made her way over to Leon, her gaze flickering over to the horse in worry. This one, at least, did not seem to startle at her presence. Lia couldn’t say why, but she was just grateful that it didn’t. She allowed Leon to lift her up onto the steed and she immediately reached forward, tangling her fingers in the horse’s mane as she clung to it. She felt Leon mounting behind her, the adjustments of his weight shifting the saddle and causing Lia’s grip to tighten on the mane. It was impossible to ignore the warmth Leon radiated behind her as his hand draped around her waist. Lia was stiff against him in her fear and worry, and the fact that she could feel the muscles in his arm around her was not helping.

“We’ll have to go slow at first, to make sure we miss the guards on patrol,” Nikolai called lowly. He tapped his heels to his horse’s side. “Come on, Aeolus,” he murmured to it. The stallion trotted forward and Nikolai led them through the courtyard and off to one of the side gates that led outside the palace. It was the one he usually took when he went to go and train. His senses strained for any sign of life beyond their quartet, but there was nothing, no one coming after them.

It wasn’t long before the two horses had successfully made their way through the courtyard and they reached the outer gate. Nikolai slid off the horse for a moment to open it, waving everybody through before he came out and shoved the gate closed again before mounting Aeolus again. “I’ve got a place we can stop to rest and plan our next moves,” he told them. “We’ll be safe there, but it’s a few days’ ride.” Nikolai didn’t elaborate on where this place was or why it was safe; he figured there would probably be some protests if he said that they were going to the home of one of the noble families.

So, without waiting for anyone to say anything, Nikolai clapped his heels to Aeolus’ sides and the stallion reared slightly off the ground before taking off across the field, its hooves pounding in the dirt. The moment Leon started pushing his horse to the same pace, Lia turned a pale shade and her hands flew to Leon’s arm, clinging tightly to it for dear life as the horses raced on into the night. It wasn’t long before the palace started looking smaller and smaller behind them. Lia occasionally threw a glance back, her hair whipping her face, but so far, none of the torches in the towers looked to be lit and there wasn’t the sound of any pursuit coming after them.

Despite all the odds, it seemed as though they had escaped right out from Orpheo’s nose and were well on their way to freedom. Well, relative freedom. Lia wasn’t sure how much freedom one could have while being on the run, but admittedly, she felt a little lighter knowing that she was no longer going to have to be stepping on eggshells around a boy king and trying her damndest not to piss him off to avoid punishment.

Leon could hear his heart thudding loudly, wildly, like a roaring storm, and even as he saw himself build distance between them and the danger of Orpheo, he still could not come to terms with their freedom.

Everything had come to him all at once. It had been a wave of terror, pain and visceral confusion. He felt shaken still, as though he had not yet regained full control over his limbs, his movements, his thinking. Looking to the side, to Gloria riding beside their saviour, he felt everything but relief. The look etched on her face, pendulating between sobriety and concern, gave him all the reasons he needed to know that the worst had not yet passed. They were still treading royal ground, still in Orpheo’s vicinity, and a part of him knew that the man would never rest before he found them, even outside Athelos’s walls.

The feeling of cold, sharp fingernails digging into his arms did little to bring him back to reality, but Leon was shaken enough to take a better hold of the reins and focus on his posture atop the steed. He was a good rider, trained from a young age, but riding beside someone else was an entirely new experience, for he found himself understandably preoccupied with preventing Lia from falling given a sharper movement.

On the other mount, Gloria held her head high, an unconvincing attempt but a try nonetheless. As little as she liked the thought of being caged by a man’s arm around the middle, at their current speed, she was rather thankful for the additional security. Moment by moment, Athelos grew smaller behind them, along with the palace where, had it not been for Lia and her appointed guard, they would have found the end of their road come next morning.

She gulped before she spoke, lashes fluttering against the wind. She could taste seasalt on her lips already, as the ground beneath them lead them closer towards the bluff. “We do need to stop soon,” she breathed out and found her voice almost getting lost in the breeze behind them. “We have not rested in too long. We need to ride away from the sea and get lost in the thickets.”

“Not now,” Leon almost growled from his place, holding on tighter to Lia. “The farther away we are from them come morning the better. They are not dumb enough to only search the main roads.”

Gloria’s expression changed briefly, and Leon felt a momentary guilt. He could tell she was exhausted, by the emptiness in her eyes and the pallor of her cheeks. She was right, but neither of them knew the outskirts of Athelos well enough to secure a safe hideout from Orpheo’s search party.

“We will leave before dawn,” she tried again. This time, it was she who clutched Nikolai’s arm tighter, unknowingly, for even her own weight pulled her down. “They will not know until then. We have enough time to pack up and leave.”

Leon found himself at an impasse. His gut shrunk at the thought of their effort being nullified by the simple need for a few hours of sleep. Yet regardless, none of them could last much longer riding on an empty stomach, particularly himself, bleeding still through his shirt and aching from the falls he had taken while fighting the chimera. He could only wait for Nikolai and Lia’s verdict, although a part of him feared that they would agree with his sister. The woods would protect them, if they cut through the field fast enough to reach them. If they descended down to the beach, they could find a carving in the bluff wall to spend their night beneath.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back