• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic ℋ℮їґṧ: SIGMA (Sci-Fi/Powers/Interstellar Warfare RP)

(It's exam week for me. Pretty important stuff, since it's the finals. Post amount is gonna be minimal. I have no idea what I just wrote.)

Joachim

I press my hand up to the comms piece, not realizing that it was unnecessary, as my A.I. had automatically brought it up. The hangar has been cleared. 'Wonderful.' I thought to myself. I ordered Fireteam Comet to head to the reactors, since that's where the fighting's still hot.

On our way through the same hallways, as we carefully hopped over the dead Smierc sprawled over the floor, the lights went out for a moment, before being replaced by a dimmer red light, as the backup generators kicked in. The reactors have been shut off. Probably temporarily, I didn't hear or feel a boom coming from there. But then again, maybe I'm just too far away. Nah, we'd all have died if that happened.

I open my comms device. "This is Team Comet, we're headed to the reactors, over."

(Kommissar and I have come to an agreement, since we both have important exams this week. We'll be gone for the week, but anyone can use our characters if they please.)

Riley's mind was a muddle of distorted voices and flashing shapes. She knew something felt right, and something felt wrong, and she couldn't quite wrap her conscious mind around what was happening. There was a ringing, or buzzing, droning harshly in her ears and she felt as if she'd had her had filled with millions of angry bees. There was a jarring motion, and a pain blossoming from the side of her face. It seemed that had been what was needed as her eyes jolted open.

However, her eyes were blurry and unfocused, her pupils wide and her mind lost. Despite their general unfocused visage, the lost eyes locked onto the being before her, and one instinct rang true in her mind. Lashing out with a leg, she took the being's legs out from under it and let it hit the ground. Drawing her sidearm from her waist, she levied the firearm at the being when, as if through water, she began hearing voices, screaming, yelling, demanding, pleading.

Being at her feet distorting in her minds eyes to form her own form, screaming for mercy, Riley cursed sharply and stumbled back, her weapon dropping. As she stepped back her right hand caught on something sharp, and a burning sensation blossomed in her leg. As if shocking out of her clouded thoughts, the girl blinked furiously as she looked down and saw a crystal embedded in her leg, slightly below the hem of her dress.

Looking up revealed a group of confused looking soldiers, one groaning on the ground, and another, hands out, palms facing her, talking to her slowly and calmly.

"Easy there kid, looks like you got a little lost in the field. What's a girl doing here in the fray anyhow, and are you alright?"

Shaking her head to shake any lingering confusion, Riley blinked twice before wrapping a hand around the crystal in her leg, tearing it out with a hiss, but not reacting to the pain in any other way. As she pulled out her medical kit she spoke.

"I wish I could say I was doing well, but it seems I got a touch lost there for a moment. You are with the Union I presume? I am Riley, with the Twisted Wolves. I ran ahead to clear this area out, but... I am unsure of what just happened there. Again, my apologies, I do hope everyone is alright."

Finishing up her work on her leg by ensuring the bandages were pulled tight enough to staunch blood flow, but loose enough that they didn't cut off circulation, Riley stood up and retrieved her pistol before turning to the soldiers, noting some seemed a bit wary of her now.

"Well, with that unpleasantness behind us, I have emptied this reactor room of the Collective. What else is required of me at this time?"

Katherine

"Perfect..." That's when I realized I spoke too soon, as I can still see a faint outline of Miller, and if I can see it, even with great eyesight, that means the Collective's Hunters can too.

I started concentrating fire on the Hunters, taking care to actually kill them rather than cripple. A green (experience-wise) Knight came out, serum and pistol drawn to revive a headshot Hunter, but the serum didn't work and he also found a bolt through the back of his head.

Another 3 folks down, and 4 to go.

Dettrick lowered her rifle. "We got 'em. We don't need to push." She put her fingers to her earpiece. "Got it. Let's go!" The rest of her fireteam advanced. She turned back to me. "Only place to fight now is the reactor. Come on." She ran to join her team, and I followed.

I entered the room with Fireteam Comet to see several soldiers, mostly allies. I noticed Riley injured and surrounded by soldiers, and two Sabre troopers doing most of the combat. Dettrick immediately ran behind cover, peeking over to see the situation. I ran to cover across from her. I moved my shoulder a bit, to try to stop the soreness.

I nodded at Katherine's words, still focused on my task of bomb defusal. A crystal bolt went past my head and pinged off the metal railing off to my side and I flinched, risking a glance up to see Katherine handling the Smierc, and judging by the comms there were more of us on the way. After a few minutes I was able to defuse the bomb. I whirled around after hearing heavy steps behind me, leveling my handgun to a confused Hunter's head as it promptly vanished off his shoulders in a cloud of red mist. "Bomb defused!" I said into the comms." I'm going to go search and see if there are any other bombs, Katherine stay behind until the reinforcements arrive and secure the reactor fully!" I told her, then dashing off through the other exit.

After a few minutes of running I stopped, uncloaking herself and panting as she glanced around. This area looked realitively okay, no visible dead bodies or signs of entry in my path. I rose when suddenly a form came out of nowhere and landed a punch square into my visor, making a crack go along the width of it. I fell back, my handgun clattering to the ground and sliding out of arm's reach. I looked up at the assailant, seeing a humanoid form in armor very similar in design to... It couldn't be... "Michael?" I asked quietly, tilitng my head. "I figured it was you, sorry, Ash, but this time you're on the wrong side of history." He said, his voice malicious and distorted, impossibly different from any human dialect. He lifted me up and tossed me into a wall with immense strength, causing my vision to go spotty from the pain, some of my HUD blinking red and going nuts. I hit the ground and laid there, stuck in pain, but I managed to power through and rise, bringing up my fists. "What happened?" I asked. "I chose the right side, well... Rather they chose me." He said, rushing at me with a raised fist, which I eaisly side-stepped and pushed him to the side, causing him to stumble. "You can't win Ash... Not this time." He said, rushing again but instead of throwing a punch he tackled me and crashed me into a wall, my armor systems once again going nuts as my IRESS failed.

He dropped me against the wall, then moved toward my gun. "Wonderful piece of machinery you got here, wonder who fixed it for you..." He said, pulling back the slide. "Well, I hope you know your heirloom will be your demise now..." He said, aiming at her and putting three shots into her chest and abdomen, all of them going clean through. He tossed the gun to my side, then turned and walked away. I was in too much pain too move, and I couldn't even bring up the nerve to speak. My vision went dark and I heard a voice in my helmet talk to me. "Ashley you die on me now your dad will wipe me off the face of the earth and turn me into some home A.I.!" Tex had said, releasing a distress beacon from within the suit that came up on all New Union and Sabre Corp. comms.

(I just had 7 hours of testing done today. Expect something to be posted by Friday. I'm too tired with testing right now, ugh)

Katherine

Finally. The bomb's defused and the reactor is disabled, so now, I can get as rough as I want with this jerk. No time for words, I raised a wall of fire between Miller and the newcomer, drew my katana, before letting it come down hard at the newcomer's shoulder. Judging by that armor, I don't think it's going to be good enough to go through that but I got to get to Miller.

"Work through the pain! Come on!" I normally lock my weapons to my own bio-signature but I unlocked it to accept Miller's before throwing it to her.

Unfortunately for me, I threw my pistol too soon, because a single armed Berserker came up behind me and punched me in the back, the armor micro fracturing, breaking the blow, but breaking itself. I missed the newcomer due to the blow, but with the momentum, I swung around to slash into the crack between the Berserker's helmet and his body armor. It failed to go all the way, but it cut straight into his throat, which will be enough to kill.

"Fireteam Comet, Joachim, I want you to execute the rest of the disabled Smierc 'scum' as you call them when you get here. I saved those kills for you. I have some business to take care of." I said in a rather cold tone, my eyes focused on the one who shot Miller, glaring intensely, dislodging the blade from the dying Berserker's throat.

Michael grinned as Katerine had taken a hit at him. "So someone actually cares about you, Ash? Suprising, considering the things you've done." He said. "Well, girl, my fight isn't with you, so I will be leaving now, perhaps we will meet again." He said, bowing slightly before turning invisible and making his escape. My eyes cleared a bit at the sound of another voice, and I look up in time to catch a handgun tossed my way. I sit up against the wall more, using my free hand to cover the worse of the injuries. "That bitch..." I muttered under my breath, coughing up blood into my visor, some of it slipping through the crack. I slowly took off my helmet and set it at my side, leaning my head back with my eyes closed. "If I move I'm not staying conscious..." I said quietly. My face was smeared with blood, mainly around my nose and mouth do to the wall I impacted earlier, but my nose stopped bleeding a minute or so ago.

"Thanks for coming Kath... But don't bother chasing him... he only... wants to get at me, judging by... what he said, you won't have to worry... About the crew..." I said, my head tilting back into a normal position. "Reactor clear?" I asked, my voice getting even quieter so Tex repeated it, my helmet acting as a makeshift speaker.

Katherine

I cocked my head a little to the side on a matter of habit when I don't really understand what the heck a person is talking about, or they have strange behavior, sheathing my katana when I saw through his invisibility that he actually did leave.

I dashed through the flames to avoid burning my clothes a bit too much, kneeling down at Miller's side. "Well, we've done our part, and there are still several more enemies alive, but they're pretty much done for, considering at least one of their limbs are missing. Enough of that, we need to look at you."

I leaned a little bit closer, looking at the various bruises already turning purple. "That recharging IRESS saved you from the worst of it, though I doubt you won't have a concussion from this." I tried to ease the pain by taking some of it upon myself, leaving me with a sharp feeling of holes in my chest, as I slowly tried to take off the armor.

"Those holes in your armor don't look too good... These are from your pistol?" I pointed, "We ought to put up bio-signature encryption on your gun, maybe even teleport it into your hands or holster if they fall out of your hands." Judging by the placement of the shots, and the time he took to aim, either that man was a terrible shot or he was trying to torture her. I don't think it got any vital organs, but I can't be sure.

I paused for a while to calm myself down before asking, "Who was that?"

A familiar voice from my private communications channel cut through the symphony of alien screams and the roaring flames, "OS, reporting."

About time, "Yea, gimme the skinny." I replied.

"We have control over the ship's interior turrets and cameras, and exterior weapons systems are firing at weaker points in the enemy's armor. We're close to cleaning out the Smierc in your ship and the other ships under attack."

"Thanks, keep me posted." I swapped back to the allied forces' communications, "Looks like we caught ourselves a break. That was the last few waves."

It took too much out of me to speak, not even from blood loss, just sheer will. I started signing, knowing my A.I. Would pick up on it and translate. "Yeah, that was mine. The wierd part was that she did have a biometric lock on her gun, she thinks he was able to bypass it with some type of device that allowed him to bypass it, she can't think of specifics now." The helmet emitted. I signed something else, this going unsaid.

"Fiiiine." The helmet responded, and by my shoulder appeared what Tex was percieved as, which was currently my late older sister, who glowed faintly with a shimmering green hue. The manifest had what seemed like earlier stages of the current armor we use, and she did not wear a helmet. I glanced to the woman on my shoulder, gave a slight nod, then signed some more things. The hologram took a more formal officer's stance and continued. "His name is Michael Church, he's the son of on of her Dad's old friends, before they moved out to the Colonies." I signed something very fast at the A.I., then giving a small nod.

"Oh shit, good point. Him and I kepy in touch often, and we has become as good as friends could get through a screen. We had talk of actually seeing each other in person one day. We both enlisted for Sabre Corps, and we grew close. He was a field medic that was deadly at close range. Obviously." The A.I. Added the last word, and I glared at it. "What? Im speaking the truth..." I signed at her some very mean words, then signed for her to continue. "He had been assigned to a different squad than me, so we didn't talk much after that. A few months later there were reports of Fireteam Tiger all having died during an attack very similar to this won. The ship was left dead and lifeless, torn open from within with no life support or survivors. Or so we had thought, it seems. It looks like he was converted to the Smierc one way or another, we need to stop him.

I motioned for Tex to stop, and she nodded and proceeded to seemingly sit on my shoulder. "Ow..." I groaned, the adrenaline going away and the pain tenfolding. Though despite the pain I'm kinda glad now that Dad taught me sign language, as well as old-school POW 5x5 and a bit of morse code. That man was seemingly preparing me for intergalactic doomsday, and boy was he on to something.

Joachim

I burst into the room and met a teeny tiny bit of resistance with this other Twisted Wolf, a Sabre Corps team, and the tiny-but-not-tiny girl. We briefly entered combat, but not the kind we expected. Riley had been shot in the leg, and she looks frenzied. I was worried we might have to fight her or something. But I sighed in relief, seeing her return back to normal, after pulling out the crystal bolt in her leg with a slightly painful hiss.

I hear, faintly, down the corridor, where Katherine and Miller are, a few gunshots. Nothing could've been good. Then my earpiece rang up. It was Katherine. She asked me to... deal with the Smierc scum when I get 'here'. I open up my map, and see them down that exact corridor, as two blips with writing next to them. Miller seems a bit banged up, but her vitals are holding. They're not dropping rapidly. At least that's good.

'With pleasure', I thought to myself, as the thought of exacting vengeance upon the Smierc scum, the kind of scum that had inflicted so much pain upon my family, almost made me shiver with joy. I looked like an insane man, I feel like an insane man, getting all squeamish at the thought of horrible murder. I move with utmost haste, but I pause, as I remember that I still had other members of the Fireteam. Parkins and the two newbloods. I don't wanna let them know about my murderous side. Granted, I'm a mercenary, but I don't want them to see the side that has been consumed by blood lust.

I tell Parkins and the two Corporals to hold here, while Davo and I make our way to Miller's position. Our footsteps were swift, as Katherine's blip moved closer to Miller's, down the corridor. I hear some alien grunts, and Smierc groaning. As I come across the corner, My eyes adjusted to the darkness, assisted by my visor, and I see the sight of a few disabled Smierc grunts. Too wounded to fight.

Dav, he was a bit calm. He put them out of their misery, single taps to the head, before retrieving their Focus Crystals. I got a bit more carried away, however, as I brutally hacked them with my holo-machete, and retrieving a Focus Crystal from their slashed up remains. One of them, at the far end, had managed to get up, despite missing a kneecap and a right arm. I advance towards it, and sink my holo-machete deep into its shoulder, making it screech in pain. I pull it out, and in one swift spin, I smack him with the blunt side of the holo-machete, sending him flying, smacking his head against the other wall of the corridor, killing him. I retrieved his Focus Crystal, and moved on.

We came close to Katherine and Miller, and they were railed off by.. fire or something. Must be Katherine's. There was this Berserker choking on his throat injury on the ground. Seems like a nasty cut that didn't follow through. Poor fella was still choking. I aided his breathing by stomping on the wound as strong as I can, worsening the cut and crushing his trachea. I don't even know if the Smierc troopers have tracheas or not.

Either way, that one died quickly, as it expired just as I yanked the Focus Crystal from its armor. I could hear Miller's A.I. talking. Seems like she took quite a few hits. Woah, there's a hologram standing on her shoulder. Neat. I wonder if mine could do that. Anyway, I grab a med kit from Davo, unwilling to give away mine, and chucking it over the flames, landing near the two.

"You need some help with that?" I said loudly, rudely announcing our presence. It was the second time I ruined a 'moment' between the two girls, with the first one ending up with me getting roasted on a dropship as we pulled out of an embarrassing defeat. But meh.

Katherine

I sat in silence and in agony from trying to take off some of Miller's pain, as the blips disappeared from off of the transparent map, as soon as two allied positions reached them.

I could faintly hear, "You need some help with that?" and a medkit coming over the wall of flames that surrounded us. I settled the flames down, making a path for Joachim to come through if he wanted to before opening up the medkit and taking out a package of painkillers that didn't come in pills but rather a vial with a tiny port on the bottom which matches the port on her armor, a neat, futuristic water bottle which probably recharges itself with the moisture in the air, a roll of bandages, and a syringe full of what looked like cotton balls, leaving the other stuff that I had no idea what to do untouched.

"Remind me to do some training as a medic." I said, putting the syringe in one of the little holes and pressing down the plunger a little bit to fill the hole with one of those cotton balls, stuffing up the wound until it can be properly treated, and did it for the rest of the bullet holes. Taking the roll of bandages, I started bandaging up the bruises and cuts, to the best of my ability, and then plugging in the painkillers into the medical port.

"Please do." The A.I. Responded for me. My eyes widened and I gasped at the sudden, though lessened, pain of the cotton touching the fresh wounds. The feeling quickly went away thanks to the painkillers, which I assumed was Morphine, but whatever it was it did it's job. I smiled, feeling better. "Fuck, man that hurt." I said, slowly sliding up the wall and leaning against it, being careful to be careful as I clipped my helmet to my belt. "Thanks Tex." I told the figure on my shoulder, which dissapeared with a nod. "And thanks Katherine, and Jao!" I added Jao as a near afterthought because I didn't really see him. I turned back and noticed 3 dents in the wall behind me, the rounds still there and forming a triangle.

"Help me out of here, you two? I probably can walk but I don't want to risk it." I said, then making a long step toward Katherine, leaning on her for support. "That was probably a warning... Otherwise you'd find me dead. But he didn't seem like... Him. He seemed different, but I can't place how." I said. "Omaha, how are the wounded?" I asked, grabbing my helmet and putting it back on. "Miller? Oh god we thought you were done for." One of my Corporal's responded, then my temporary Sergeant spoke up. "This is Sergeant Conners, the injured are secure and we are moving them back to the infirmary. Need a pickup?" He asked. "No, I'm safe, no need to send anyone, I'll be on my way soon." I told them, then shut off my comms. I glanced at Katherine, my eyes visible through the cracks. "He'll be back, no need to search for him." I told her.

Adrian

By the time I made it to the reactor room, the situation seemed to have been resolved by the other members of the Sabre Corps and Twisted Wolves. I had Sergeant Amis take the new guys to guard any other possible intrusion points while I took Corporal Ingris to meet up with the rest of the New Union soldiers.

The battle seemed to have been quite brutal, judging from the multiple bloodstains and the fact that Miller is lying on the ground with obvious bullet wounds pierced through the KAISYS armor. Noa, my AI, alerted me to an incoming transmission from the Commander himself.

"Alright, patch the comms through Noa."

The Commander seems to be rather out of breath; probably because of the intense firefights breaking out all over the NUSS Artemis III after the sudden appearance of a Smierc attack fleet.

"Captain Morrison, we're receiving reports all over that the situation in both the hangar and the reactor room is now slowly under control. The remaining Smierc presence is being eliminated by the other Sabre Corps Fireteams as we speak."

The Captain then takes a deep breath, which was quite audible through the comms.

"Now the issue is with the Smierc attack fleet itself. While our Scouting Fleet was under attack by the Smierc boarding pods, the rest of the attack fleet launched a simultaneous assault on the New Kronan orbital defense stations. There were too many enemy ships, and the New Kronan Defense Fleet could not respond in time to assist the stations. We've received reports from the New Kronan Defense Force that the Smierc Collective is preparing an orbital bombardment of the main capital city before possibly launching a landing operation."

"In short, the New Union High Command has ordered a retreat from New Krona. We'll be responsible for evacuating government officials and civilian personnel from the New Kronan District 12-A. Get your Fireteam ready for the evacuation operation, over."

Just like that, it looks like we don't even have the firepower to defend our capital world, New Krona. It really dawned on me just how vulnerable we all are in the face of the Smierc Collective, and how we deluded ourselves into thinking that we could possibly fight back...

I walked up to the group of Sabre Corps and Twisted Wolves to deliver the news.

"Folks... I think we just lost New Krona. New Union High Command has ordered an evacuation, and we'll be taking care of evacuating District 12-A..."

Katherine

I slowly stood up, supporting Miller as I stood as I processed what I just heard in anger and disbelief. "This is utter bullshit! This is the second retreat we've had this month! No! We have to at least try to defend the capital!"

This is probably the only way we're going to be able to do this. "I'd say we split our surviving forces in two. One team will be boarding Smierc attack ships, take them over or blow them up, I don't give a shit. The other team will help with evacuations, in case they do manage to attack, which I doubt, because I assume everyone here has a brain to use. Of course, counterattacking is your choice." I swapped communication channels before whispering, "OS, come in."

"Yea? We got Intel on your situation."

"Assist the NU external weapons system and concentrate fire on the SC artillery systems. Disable them, then warp in KI fighters to keep their other defenses busy." I shook out the shattered pieces of KAISYS Alpha out of my bloodstained, ripped jacket.

Turning off my microphone, I whispered, "I don't feel like I can trust our commander. At least, for me, anyways... Then again, what choice do I have...?"

Last edited:
Adrian

"Corporal Katherine, the New Kronan orbital defense stations were taken out by the attacking Smiercs while the Scouting Fleet had to deal with the boarding pods. The New Union High Command probably issued an evacuation order for essential areas as a preemptive measure."

I placed my HoloRifle on my back magnetic latch.

"Katherine, it's probably getting a bit ridiculous, but we are dealing with a relatively unknown enemy here. The New Union probably doesn't want the Smiercs to be provoked into using that green energy wave WMD again."

Noa notified me of the wider orders being sent to the surviving Scouting Fleet to start preparing for the evacuation operation. The New Kronan Defense Fleet is heading to intercept the Smierc Assault Fleet, but it'll take a bit of time before they could effectively start counter-attacking.

(Also, it's a bit weird for personal AI to take over an entire ship's weapon systems, don't you think Henrypika Henrypika ? Maybe edit out that part or at least localize it instead of a system-wise takeover. Doubt the Captain of the Ship will appreciate that, lol)

Katherine

I grit my teeth together before answering, "Fine. Let's get on the ground then. If this turns into a full retreat order... Well, let's just not talk about that... Speaking of that green energy wave, have they figured out a counter for that?"

(Edited it to say "assist" rather than "take over". Also, it's not an personal AI, rather, it's outside technical and statistical support. Hacking. Statistics. Maybe firepower at some point.)

I cringed at another seemingly retreat order. "I don't like the whole retreat mentality... But they're the boss. Also as far as we know that WMD was just on the one defense base." I said. "Take me to the hangar. I don't care how riddled I am it's not like I'm charging head first into No Man's Land." I said jokingly. I walked with Katherine toward the reactor first, stopping in front of Parkins and the others. "You heard the news boys, I'm assuming?" I said, glancing at them. "I'll be ok by the way, don't worry about me. We just heed to worry about extracting Sector 12-A and making sure they get out safe." I said with a nod. "Now let's get out there and do our job!" I shouted, then bending over a bit and coughing. "Fuck... Never again." I muttered, then straightened up and looked at Kath. "Away, my faithful comrade!" I said exaggeratedly, trying to not think about the pain and the bullshit that Command pulled on us.

(Also Henrypika Henrypika lol I saw the SC and thought Sabre Corp and I thought TRAITOR!!! But then I realized context and was like ooooh they mean Smierc Collective. Lol.)

Katherine

"What do you mean? We're already there!" I said, swinging Miller up in a piggyback ride fashion before dashing down into the hangar on three, holding onto Miller with one hand with my other hand hitting the floor, while dead corpses of late allies and enemies passing by with nothing more than a blur in an unaided eye's vision.

And then the cramp settled in right when we got to the hangar. Must be from all the exercise I had today. "Ahem... 'Never again'..." I thought of rubbing the part where it started hurting but I remembered I was still in armor. Well, partly armored. Let's hope we don't run into Smierc with my type of assisted targeting system.

When the fight was over, the fireteam stood up, silently listening to the Sabre captain. We lost a planet.

Dettrick turned to me. "Now you want a medkit?"

"There's probably still injured out there who might need it. I'll take care of myself."

"Well, good working with you."

"I barely did anything."

"You helped out in the hangar. That's enough."

"I'll see you around." Dettrick nodded and turned around to talk with her fellow soldiers.

I left the core room, lighting another cigarette on the way to the hangar. I noticed the two Sabre troopers from earlier, playing around. I walked down and took any guns, attachments, and ammo that could be useful.

After that... I don't even know what to call that... Trip, I guess. We stopped in the hangar and I stood up, leaning against another wall as I glanced to Katherine. "Why didn't we just walk it? All that jostling would've been enough to kill a small animal." I said. I looked at another person who was walking around with a bunch of weapons, ciggarette in mouth. "Hey, haven't you ever heard smoking kills?" He asked, looking at the person. "Alright, Katherine, I need to run a plan by my team, tell your Captain to get his fireteam over here now. If we are to pull this off we need all hands on deck with the same plan." "Jao, Captain Morrison. Get your guys to the hangar ASAP, we need a gameplan before we head out there today, this op supercedes rank or team." I said, leaning my head back against the wall.

Katherine

I took a glance at the man with the cigarette in his mouth, glancing at him, and then the cigarette, and afterwards looking away. Then, the whole cigarette just blew up in flames.

"Uhh... Miller. My... Fireteam was disbanded this week. That's why I asked to join you earlier."

While checking out a HoloPistol, one of the soldiers I noticed said, "Hey, haven't you ever heard smoking kills?" I looked to them, then grinned. I was about to quip when the cig exploded. I flinched and spit it out of my mouth, quickly looking around for the source. When I found nothing, I looked down at the ashes.

No way they were sabotaged.

I coughed out ash, looking at the two soldiers. It must've been them. They're so nonchalant. And they're Sabre Corps...one of them's a pyromancer.

I tried to think of something smart to say or do, but I couldn't think of anything. I just wiped off my poncho and picked up the HoloPistol again.

Normally, I'd show off my marksmanship, but I doubted it would faze elite soldiers. If anything, it would make them hostile. Maybe I'll get her back later.

My eyes widened as the cig in his mouth combusted, then shot a glance at Katherine. "Too much." I said quietly, then looked back to the guy, taking off my helmet. "Sorry about her! She's new to Sabre Corp and isn't completely in control of her abilities!" I shouted back, a lie, but it made enough sense. Katherine was still a Corporal, now I just needed her to not call me out on it. "And your Fireteam got disbanded? Shit didn't even know Kath." I said. "But yeah, welcome to Firetram Omaha." I added on with a small nod. My team arrived at the hanger just then, and I took up a more formal stance, hands held behind my back with a squared footing.

"Now we need to wait for Captain Morrison and Captain Jaochim to arrive with their teams before we can begin talking about our plan, but know that time is of the essence, I give you full permission to do what is neccessary within reason, only run something by me if it something that risks one another, we don't need another Yabrao."

Joachim

Up until then, I was having a pretty good time. We were all having a pretty good time. Except for Miller, I think. But other than that, everything was fine. We had repelled the Smierc from our ship, now it was only time for an assault on the enemy fleet. But then, of course, the No-good Unbelievable Chumps, as one of my (deceased) Sabre Corps teammates nicknamed them, gave us the bad news. And if anyone could destroy my joy, it was the New Union Command. Right, what do they want this time? Tell us something we already know? Or...

A retreat from New Krona. A retreat. From New Krona. New Krona. A retreat. FROM MOTHERFUCKING NEW KRONA.

My mind bursted into a figurative firestorm of anger and hatred, with swear words inbetween. Meanwhile, a literal firestorm seems to be bursting from my left palm, my dominant hand. The iconic bright yellow mixed with red hue of the impending fire jet illuminates my arm, earning worried, confused looks from people around me.

"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCKKKKKKKKK!" I yelled at the top of my lungs, spooking everyone, even Dav. I was super pissed. The retreat... first, Yabrao, now this. What next? 'Smierc Collectives within 5 feet, retreat from existence'? I knew they were a bunch of spineless cowards. I knew, and still, I trusted them to not screw things up. How dumb am I?

In the midst of my internal tantrum, I hear something on the comms. "Jao, Captain Morrison. Get your guys to the hangar ASAP, we need a gameplan before we head out there today, this op supercedes rank or team." It was Miller. She sounded better, kind of. She took off with Katherine, with good speed. They're already at the hangar. I don't know if it's my anger, but the way she said my name sounded kinda funny. Kinda weird. Anyway, she's got a point. The order is to retreat, but for now, the objective is to cover the evacuation.

"Y...Yeah, copy that Miller. We're on our way. Out." I spoke to her on the comms, before ordering the whole of Fireteam Comet to move out towards the hangars. On the way, my mind ran through all available possibilities of how to do this, although most of them are just batshit crazy: for example, the possibility of Fireteam Comet getting on a dropship headed towards an enemy ship, taking over said ship, and turning its weapon systems against the entire fleet. Another possibility is to go down, wipe Smierc ground forces from existence, and then fly all the way to New Union HQ or whatever it is, and smack the general responsible for this order until either his head flies off or his neck snaps.

But nah. Like Miller said, gameplan at the waiting room. No wait, that's not what she said. Ah shut up, one day you're gonna make us crazy. What us? There's only one Joachim. Then who's talking, stupid? Guys, please, let's not do this. Oh no, we're totally doing this, it's ON, Voice #1. Uhh, here we go again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back