• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic ℋ℮їґṧ: SIGMA (Sci-Fi/Powers/Interstellar Warfare RP)

Adrian

I can see a hover-jeep in the distance. From the HUD's IFF indicator, it was someone named Katherine, I believe. Goodness, for some reason the text is hard to make out. I carefully took my helmet off and rubbed my eyes. It seems like I'm pretty tired already, and I'm supposed to be part of the Sabre Corps, the most elite military division in the New Union and the only reason we stand a chance against the Smierc Collective.

As the hover-jeep closed in, I wave my hand, indicating to the driver to stop nearby.

Meanwhile, I get another transmission from one of the secondary wave dropships. Seems like we have more support.

"This is Corporal Morrison of Fireteam Nexus to Captain Miller. Fireteam Nexus and a couple of other Fireteams are moving in to take out the Yabrao Central Defense Station's communication arrays to disable the orbital defense stations keeping our main Recovery Fleet at bay. We appreciate any support, since our own Captain and Sergeant are down, over..."

LoneSniper87 LoneSniper87

(Oh yeah, the Sabre Corps uses US Marine rankings, just so you know)

"Understood, Fireteam Ohama is rallying on your Fireteam's position." I told the Corporal, suprised his Captain and Sergeant both were dead. "Omaha!! We are rallying on Fireteam Nexus to help in the assualt on the Yabrao CDS! Stay on guard and keep with a squadmate! Let's get into the war!" I shouted, the team loading up into a few hover-jeeps and heading toward the Fireteams' positions. "Do you have any wounded on your end?" I asked, scanning my surroundings for any sign of an ambush.

After a minute of traveling the jeep in front of me hit a mine and went up in flames, hitting the ground with sickening crash, the occupants dead on combustion. "Hurry it up!" I shouted, nervous of any more mines in our way. The lead jeep carried two recons and two field ops, but they were lucky to still have two medics with them, as well as thier heavy. The road ahead was thankfully clear and they approached the rally point. "Fortune favors the bold." I said to myself, more to keep myself from thinking of those lost and steady myself than anything else.

"Corporal Morrison!" I shouted as I exited my jeep, walking his way. My rifle was held in my right hand, held like an old friend. "What's your sitrep over here?" I asked, the remains of my Fireteam following close behind.

(I will look into the rankings soon)

Last edited:
Daelen

We followed the withdrawing Smiercs into a complex area, and pushed towards a wall. I hand motioned the Corporal and Joachim to watch my back, as I pulled out 4 holo-cluster charges and planted them across the wall. The charges were no larger than the palm of my hand, but oh boy they do produce some breath-taking fireworks. Joachim was not surprised with my toys, but Carlison however, gave me a strange look. I guess they don't have these in the army anymore, probably due to low supplies or something.

"Just you wait mate, it's gonna get lit the hell up." I told him as I planted the last charge before planting a bigger, square-shaped charge for our breach.

We pulled back towards the railings, and once we got a safe spot, I pushed the button. It may have looked like nothing from the outside, as Carlison gave me a disappointed look. The lad probably expected a much bigger boom. Little did he know, the charges released a hell-storm of holo bolts into the room, effectively killing, crippling or seriously injuring every Smierc inside. Shortly after the 4 charges are spent, I detonated the bigger one, punching a large hole on the wall of the complex.

"I can never get enough of that." I told the men. Joachim laughed, before summoning fire in the form of a blade weapon. We quickly dashed into the complex to eliminate the remaining Smierc in the building.

The room was a mess. Dead Smierc scattered here and there, without some of their limbs. I counted approximately 6 in total, but I couldn't be certain as some were ugly, bloodied pulps so deformed that I could not see the resemblance to a Smierc at all. We approach an opened, small door that appears to lead towards a hallway.

"You first." I whispered to Joachim, as I looked down a suspiciously empty, dark hallway.
"Carley, watch our rear." I said, took out my revolver and followed Joachim as we slowly walked through the door. Something sure smells fishy about this place.

Joachim

I stagger after summoning my Claymore, for absolutely no purpose. I really shouldn't have done that. Guess I felt like it, but Davo's explosives were more than enough to overwhelm their shields, or Bio-fields, whatever the fuck they're called, and kill them. But it never hurts to be extra careful.

As we approached the dark alleyway, my eyes started to darken. Only for a while, after that, it returned to normal. Good thing my absorption abilities automatically absorbed heat as I moved past the room Davo just cleared with his explosives. Davo motions me to move forward, to take point. I nod, and I pull my Strajk out with my right hand, and support my Type-KJ with my right forearm. Both guns out. Maximum bullets.

Out of the corner of my eye, I spot some movement. My eyes dart to that place, and I could just make out a humanoid silhouette, only a few shades darker than its surroundings. Good hiding spot. 'But not good enough.' I said, as I quickly snapped my MG towards the silhouette and emptied at least 20 rounds into the thing.

The sputtering of its personal shields could be seen and, to some extent, heard as a slightly metallic whirring noise, something powering down. The silhouette then collapsed to the ground, and a thick, dark liquid starts flowing out of it. Custom-made holographic bolts. Specifically made to enhance effectiveness against their Bio-Field things. Very neat, especially close-range.

And at that point, it was as if all the Smierc on Yabrao had jumped onto me. But in fact, it was just 3. Their shadows loomed over me as they descended, roaring fiercely. I took a big hop backwards as I sprayed my Strajk wildly into the air, miraculously catching one of them in the head, killing him- or, should I say, it- whilst only barely scratching the other 2, whose Bio-Field System shrugged the bolts off without effort.

Behind me, I could hear a louder thud, and the distinctive metallic shifting found in the Shifting Armor-Plates. The extra heavy-sounding steps also suggest that it's a Dziki armor wearer. I could hear two lighter entities landing after him. Normal Mortus troopers, it seems.

The two in front of me deploy their enhancements: one with Arm Blades, the other, opening up its Acid Blaster pores. One of the Mortus troopers behind me hold me in place with its Personal Grav-Manipulator. Blades charges at me, with a loud war cry, and I drop my MG to summon my Claymore and deflect the blow, whilst I spray the Strajk at Acid. All 10 of my shots connect with the thing's chest, and the custom-made bolts do their work and bypass the Bio-Fields, making the Acid pores collapse into itself, melting the Mortus trooper. No more Mr. Acid.

I could hear a cacophony of holo-bolt fire behind me, as Carlie and Davo exchanged fire with the Dziki wearer. I heard a painful screech uttered by a Mortus trooper, and guessing by the sudden release from the PGM, it was the one holding me back. I spring forward, ducking below to avoid Blades' slash, and stab him in the abdomen with my fire Claymore. I could see the Bio-Field System crack under the pressure, and Blades screams in pain, as a fiery blade pierces only half of its abdomen, as the remaining energy from the Bio-Field still prevents the blade from running through. I changed that, however, by sticking my Strajk into that same spot and emptying the rest of the magazine into the wound, and kill Blades for sure, as the creature sinks down the shaft of my Claymore.

I pull the Claymore out vertically, splitting the dead Mortus corpse in two. A little bit unnecessary, but it was important that I get the head separated. Revival Serum and all. I spin around, to see that my team has dealt with the situation well. Two Mortus Troopers dead, with only the Dziki remaining. Its Shoulder Spikes enhancement has been of little use, as Davo takes out its left arm with his Aufspie- Aufsp- Spear hands, loosening its grip on Carlie's neck. Now he spins around, with his MG in hand, preparing to promptly execute the Mortus trooper with a hail of bullets.

I load a fresh magazine into my Strajk with finesse and practice, and load the first holo-bolt into the chamber just as a latecomer leaps onto my friend, Davo, with a Golonka in its hand. Such raw strength at such close range... even with high-tech Sabre Corps shield technology, it would kill him. I put a stop to it in time, however, by taking a swing at it with my Claymore from beneath, digging into its wrist, almost cutting directly through. The slash made it drop the Golonka, thankfully.

From behind me, on the other side of the dark alleyway, 2 Mortus troopers appear, spraying holo-bolts all over the place. I pull my Claymore out of the thing's pitiful wrist and, in one swift motion, throw it at one of the Mortus troopers, whose Bio-Field then disappears, as the thing partially sinks into its right shoulder. My IRESS takes its first hit of the day, as 2 shots from the other Mortus trooper hit it. My shoulder, the point of impact, jerked back painfully, but I kept moving forward quickly.

I swiftly pick up my Type-KJ from the ground, exchanging shots with the Mortus Trooper as we both come close to melee range. My IRESS comes dangerously low to depletion, but alas, the shots stop coming, as the Mortus grabs his Wlocznia and goes for a swing from up top. I deploy my manual E-Shield and completely deflect his blow to the right with the remainder of the IRESS' energy. I then rudely shoved my MG's barrel directly into his chest and let loose a hail of holo-bolts that punctured his Bio-Field and killed him.

His chest suddenly melts, however, as the Acid pores that he had started to collapse onto itself. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch sight of the remaining Mortus Troopers; the last 3. Without thinking, I immediately pulled out one of the grenades on the dead Mortus, shoved it directly into his melting chest, and kicked him at those 3. Well, and that one guy on the ground, who's recovering from my Claymore throw, so, 4.

I immediately hopped away, hands covering my head, you know, usual stuff that trained personnel do when hiding from a close range explosion. Well, usually, people don't survive said explosions. And what a big explosion it was. That Acid is a lot more corrosive than I thought it was. Smoke covered the dark alleyway. My eyes went black, probably from the smoke, probably from the exhaustion, probably both. I feel something wet on my head. Probably my blood. But I'm still suffering from this terrible ache all over my body, and I'm still conscious to complain about these aches, so I'm guessing I'm not dead yet.

I turn around, and see that 2 of the Mortus troopers, the one who got the Claymore and the one closest to the grenade, died instantly. Bloodied, mutilated corpses being the only remains. As for the other two, their Bio-Field did miracles for them, but it was not enough miracles. They were dazed, in a situation even worse than myself.

I immediately reach my hand towards my Strajk, and pull off 2 consecutive bursts. Both bursts connected with their intended targets, and the 2 survivors relax their muscles, as pools of blood form around their heads.

I sigh in relief. That's all the Mortus accounted for. Suddenly, something starts speaking in my ear. I don't know if it's my damaged earpiece, or if the explosion did something to my ear, but the message didn't come through entirely. "This is Corporal... of ... Nexus ... Miller. ... of other Fireteams ... Central Defense ... the orbital ... main Recovery Fleet ... We ... support, ... and Sergeant are down, over..." followed by "Understood, ... Omaha is rallying on ...'s position."

Guess it's our cue to move.

Katherine

I quickly shift back before anyone can notice me like this. Then, hostile blips, next to allied blips, not far from our location cease to be, one by one, explosions, alien-like screams, and loud gunfire confirming my suspicions.

"Morrison, is it? Where do you need me?" I said, crouching low behind a wall, pulling out my signatured katana, blazing white from the silver blade, soon to be tasted by the Smierc, and my pistol, which you would think is the Type-BX until you realize it's just my trigger finger on a Type-BM.

Well, I mean I'm not that blood thirsty.

Anyways, my drone is hovering over the complex in an attempt to find more information about any hostiles waiting for us.

I glanced around the surrondings again, looking at the remains of Nexus' Captain. "Dman shame..." I muttered, glancing away from the mutilated corpse.

"Rodriguez, Simmons, check for wounded. Chaplain, find a vantage point to watch the North side. Jackson, you got South side. Roland, Tucker, Samuel, you guys will be with Sergeant Walker on the main assualt. Group of with the remnants of Nexus and Unity and let me know you have gathered your assualt force." I ordered, moving off as they all broke to there groups and got started.

I took off my helmet and sighed, looking around, then down to helmet that was in my hands. I put it back on and glanced around, seeing a name appear on my display. "Corporal Katherine, do you read me? This is Captain Miller of Fireteam Omaha, give me a rundown on what's happened here so far, I'm making my way toward you." I said, jogging toward her location.

Katherine

I hold my earpiece before speaking through the comms, "I read you, Captain Miller. Fireteam Nexus has cleared out most of the hostile forces present in the yard of the CDS before losing their captain and sergeant to a Smierc fighter strafing run."

"Fireteam Comet appears to have cleared an enemy flanking squad, and we're about to have quite a party over here. I got a few hostile blips inside the complex. Tight quarters, so I would bring some close ranged weapons, and maybe some explosives, if you're feeling good."

Judging by all the requests for information I'm getting, I think I'm the only Recon alive. That's not helping my nervousness.

I nod to all the information. "Fireteam Comet, what's your status, I have a couple guys of mine headed your way to be under your command for the time being." I said over the comms, hoping they picked it up. I start closing in on the corporal, poor girl must be scared out of her wits, I knew I was. "Katherine, you kept Nexus alive out there, good stuff." I said when I closed in, pressing my hands toward my sides to hide my shaking hands. "May I ask if this is your first op with Sabre?" I asked, setting up my rifle next to her, setting a distance and making sure the gun was ready to fire.

"What's your take on this?" I asked the corporal out of the blue. "By this I mean the mission." I clarified, as I found myself asking the same thing as my thoughts wandered beyond the dead.

"I mean, why not I just sight the place and level the building, correct? Why not get our Heavy's and bombard this place beyond hell? Right? I'm not trying to get you to question orders from command, just speculation, got it? Better to speculate than let your mind go to the dead..." I trailed off, looking away from her and my scope down to where there were more corpses. I steeled myself to the best of my ability but my hands still held a slight waver.

"Omaha Beach, 1944..." I muttered again, trying to find some more courage from those who had it before me. It sounded silly if I were to explain it, I know, but it kept me going when I felt I couldn't.

Daelen

When Joachim sprayed down that Smierc hiding in the dark alleyway, I knew shit was going down. What I did not expect, however, was how fast it was going. Almost immediately, 3 Smierc jumped onto Joachim, staggering the man, before he shot one of them in the head with his sidearm. I quickly aimed my revolver at the remaining 2, before getting jumped on by another 3 Smierc. They landed in front of me. There was a loud thud, and the distinctive metallic shifting of their armour. Out of panic, I pulled the trigger and hit one of them in the chest, but his Bio-Field absorbed the shot. I mean, anyone would panic, if a giant suddenly jumped down in front of you, eager to rip your head off. I assume it's a Dziki armour, by the size of the thing. It towered over me and the Corporal. Next to it was two smaller Mortus Troopers, Knights, maybe. One of them turned to Joachim and held him in place with its Personal Grav-Manipulator while the 2 Smierc engaged him, one with Arm Blades.

Of course I didn't have the luxury of observing and commentate Joachim's engagement with the 2 Smierc while he could barely move due to the Knight's PGM, as the giant in front of me pointed his MG at me and Carley. Before he could pull the trigger, I pulled it off his hands. I may have underestimated the thing's strength, even though its size should've given me a pretty clear idea of what it could do. Right after I got the MG off its grip, it punched me and I went at least 3 metres backward and dropped my revolver. If it wasn't for the KAISYS Gamma chest-plate, which absorbed the shock from the punch, and my IRESS, that thing would've probably broken every rib I had, and reduced me to a bloody pulp. My vision went black, but I heard the echoing sounds of holo-bolt fire, as Carlison delivered 2 shots to the giant Smierc's knees. The giant reached forward, and it grabbed Carlison, trying to choke the air out of him. I got up on my feet and dashed towards the Smierc with my hand, ready to chop him to neat pieces. I was probably knocked off pretty hard by the punch, as I failed to notice the other Knight when he pointed his weapon at me. The shots narrowly missed me, the Knight was probably too panicked to take a clear shot, while again, my armour saved me, as my IRESS absorbed some crystal bolts. I went right under the giant Smierc, and swung my hand up as hard and swiftly as I could. The fluids spilled all over me as I cut his right arm off, from the shoulder down. The Knight dropped his firearm and charged at me with a blade weapon. He struck me horizontally as I held my right arm up, miraculously blocking his attack. Due to the jolt, it was a pretty strong strike, but I had no time to admire his skills with the blade. I grabbed him by his shoulder and thrusted my left hand right through his chest. Apparently, their Bio-Fields are susceptible to melee weapons.

I pulled out my Dzida and aimed at the giant's head to finish it off. But just as I was about to pull the trigger, I felt a painful jolt on my back. Apparently, a late-comer decided to join the squabble. He jumped right on my back, he was probably not that heavy, but his weight brought the pain back, and it was unbearable. My muscles were somewhat paralysed to the pain. Flash. Joachim swung his Claymore at the Smierc on my back, it screamed in agony and dropped something, that I assumed was its weapon. I gathered any strength I had left despite the pain that almost collapsed me and slammed by back against the wall. I have to admit, that Smierc was one resilient son of a bitch. As soon as he got off my back, he kicked my knees and got me flat on the ground. He started choking me with his other hand. The overwhelming pain on my back drained all the strength out of me, as I was gasping for air like a washed-over fish on the cold ground.

-Fuck. This is it?- I simply thought. Out of all the ways to die, this is one pathetic way. But something caught my attention. Just as I was about to yield to the Smierc, I saw my revolver. It was right there, right beside me. Swiftly, I grabbed the firearm, pointed it at his leg and shot right through it. Not even his Bio-Field could effectively absorb a shot this close. The thing growled and held me down even harder, while I reached out for another shot at it.

Suddenly, there was a huge blast. It happened too fast, I didn't know what it was. The Smierc collapsed on me, fluids spilling out of its ugly, deformed back. Shrapnel. Just in time. I heard some gunshots, and I saw Joachim there, exhausted. I couldn't move a muscle myself. I lied there, the Smierc was heavy, but I couldn't be bothered. I felt like I might just fall asleep there, in that dark, dusty alleyway. But then I heard a voice on the comm.

"Fireteam Comet, what's your status, I have a couple guys of mine headed your way to be under your command for the time being."

I didn't recognise the voice, probably a Sabre Corps captain. Whatever. The name was on my display: "Ashley Miller". I pressed the earpiece and answered the lady on the comm while struggling to catch my breath.

"This is Daelen Lisowski of Fireteam Comet. About damn time Captain, we've begun clearing an area in the complex, have your men rendezvous with us at these coordinates. Tell them to work their arses off, double time. Daelen out."- I said to this Captain Miller, as I transferred our coordinates to her.

Reinforcements. That didn't sound bad, considering how deep in shit we were. I got up on my feet, but I could barely stand straight. I leaned onto my Dzida and helped Carlison up before we started looting the Smierc and resumed on our task.

"Fuck it. Get up, we can't have ourselves lookin' like shit in front of the fresh troops. Let's get moving."- I said to my squad-mates before I tapped Joachim on his back, replacing him as our vanguard and continued further down the alleyway.

Katherine

The barrage of questions came on suddenly, but I answered most of them anyways. I quickly checked my surroundings, making sure there were no enemies around so I could answer her.

"This is my first mission, in fact. I'm perfectly fine doing this mission, though I somewhat agree that we could have thinned out the enemy through mortar and naval support." I pause for a moment to read Captain Miller's face, displaying some concern for me, as well as... fright? Nervousness?

"Why are you looking at me like that? Just because I'm young doesn't mean I don't know what I'm doing. Back in... Back where I came from, as soon as you were born, you were taught in how to fight. Close quarters. With abilities inherited from your parents. I had no parents to train with, who... disappeared after I was born. I was alone. Every step you walk, you could die in a matter of seconds, though I survived, training myself to fend for myself.

"I'm pretty sure that you can already tell by this," motioning towards my only shown tail and then pointing at my ears, "that I'm not from around here, or even entirely human. But I fight, for the folks on my world I left behind, because who knows? If the New Union falls, and the Smierc Collective is allowed to expand, then my world could be their next target, and I can't let that happen.

"That's why I fight," I said with finality, flinging my rifle on my back, held there by a shoulder strap, after setting down my pistol and katana to do so, "Not for blood, but rather to defend this sector, and my own world as well."

"I wasn't trying to judge, Katherine... Sorry if that's what it came out like." I said, an apolgetic look under my helmet. "It's good you have something to fight for, and a noble something at that." I admitted.

I glanced back into my scope, watching for more enemies. "And honestly I don't care if your human, Silentian or a fucking whale with five fingers and wings. If you can handle yourself and protect your team, your good in my book, alright? And if someone tries bothering you cause your different, tell 'em Captain Miller's in your corner, they'll back off." I said.

"Wanna know what I fight for?" I asked quietly, glancing at her as I flipped off my comms. "Wanna know what keeps me going?" I started turning this to a pep talk and I groaned internally at this habit of mine, but let it go on.

"Dealen?" A voice was heard over the comms. "This is Sergeant Gregory Parkins of Fireteam Omaha, I'm here with Corporals Jackson, Berkins, and Nuñez. Captain Miller has ordered us on your command. We are seconds away from your location, orders?" He asked, coming around corner and into plain view.

Last edited:
Adrian

Thanks to the support of the rest of the Fireteams, I led the two other remaining members of Fireteam Nexus to nearby our main objective: the communications array. Once Corporal Katherine and Captain Miller met up with my Fireteam, I began to think about how to approach our objective. From Katherine's drone's reconnaisance, it seems like there are quite a few hostiles within the communications array still. I really wish we could have had some air support to get this over with, but I knew how deadly accurate the Smierc Collective AA could get. I've seen too many attackers and bombers get shredded into literal pieces with the enemy AA.

"Katherine, I'm going to have you cover us from a long-range position while I lead Fireteam Nexus into a side route to the communications array. Keep the Mortus Troopers pinned to cover with your sniper shots, but don't stay in one area too long. Can't have you be spotted and killed too early, can we?"

I turned over to Captain Miller, the leader of Fireteam Omaha. Omaha huh? I vaguely remember it from my old history classes...

"Captain Miller, could your Fireteam act as a distraction. Of course, I'm not suggesting you throw your soldiers' lives away careless. No no. Keep the Mortus Troopers busy at a more medium range compared to Katherine, and keep on making some noise. Fireteam Comet and Fireteam Nexus will head into the communication array compound while you guys keep the enemy on their toes. Roger?"

I began to signal to my Fireteam to move out, when I heard a grudge-filled whisper.

"Why is this guy taking charge...?", whispered Corporal Amis to Corporal Ingris.

I can't really say much to that. It's true, I'm more of a lone wolf than a leader in these kinds of situations. But I know that the other two Corporals can get their emotions out of control at times. I still can't believe my Captain and Sergeant are both gone, leaving me alone to deal with this mess.

I nodded, switching on my comms again. "Will do, boys you heard him: make some noise and FUBAR this shit." I said, to which there was a hoorah or two and a lot more of our montra going around. "Oh, Amis and Ingris. If you have a problem with him, your welcome to join the cannon fodder." I offered, as I overhead the comment. "Morrision I'm letting you know you got my full support on this one, you need something you got the remnants of three or four fireteams at your back, yeah?" I added.

Joachim

I slowly got up on my knees, as the pain proves to be a lot worse than I expected. I could see some Focus Crystals falling off my armor, as either the shock wave or the shrapnel has cut them loose from their anchors. I cough, and to my surprise, blood comes out. I press an emergency release on my helm, and open the face mask to let the blood drip out. Can't fight with all this red in my eyes.

As my friend Davo speaks, it became apparent that there was something wrong with my ears. A loud ringing, an extremely annoying sound, that sounds like a high-pitched jackhammer right next to my ears, and at the same time, has no sound. I've read about this somewhere, heard about it somewhere, some of the Falcons talking back in my early days as a Twisted Wolf. Tinnitus, I think they call this.

I feel a tap on my back, as Davo's muffled voice spoke to me. "Fuck it. Get up, we can't have ourselves lookin' like shit in front of the fresh troops. Let's get moving." he said, before taking point, further into the hallway. I don't know why, because if I remember correctly, the Mortus in this hallway were all that's left of that one squad. But then again, I remember seeing a way out on the other end of this complex, on the holo-map. If I remember correctly, that's also the same direction where the Nexus guys are also moving.

"This is Sergeant Gregory Parkins of Fireteam Omaha, I'm here with Corporals Jackson, Berkins, and Nuñez. Captain Miller has ordered us on your command. We are seconds away from your location, orders?" I heard over the comms. They were hard to make out, as it sounded muffled in my ears. "Copy that, Parkins. We're currently clearing this complex. You take your guys, clear the East Wing, we'll check West, then we regroup and head to the CDS with Fireteam Nexus. Over." I said, after I looked at the map display once more.

I then grab my equipment, and move behind Davo, with Carlie behind me. My left eye scans the surroundings for any stragglers or newcomers to the party, while my right eye studies the map display. It appears that this complex area is... complex. Structure interior suggests that this is a supply cache or something. Whatever it is, it's reinforced tightly, with a lot of security doors. It splits into two wings, East and West, leaving a large room in the middle.

I whisper quietly to Davo on the comms. "We're taking the left. Let's go." before, I take point, once again. I can't get the glory if I stay in the back. We reach door after door, plain kicking them open, or, with the strong ones, some of Davo's sticky explosives. As we moved through the West Wing, things were eerily quiet. I started getting anxious, as the tinnitus was getting louder, almost hyping up to some big jump-scare in a horror movie or something, where the entire hallway erupts into crystal-bolt fire and we all die within a blink of an eye. But nothing like that happened.

Sounds of holo-bolts smacking the walls from the outside startled us the first few times, but now we've grown used to it. I guess it means that our boys are getting closer. Then that also means that Mortus & Co. are getting pushed back, until they're all clumped up at the CDS. Then it'll be a hell of a fight.

We found ourselves at the doorstep of the large room. Before I kicked it down, I swear, I could hear something inside. Clicking, and chatter. I nod to Davo, and he nods back. We prepare for a great firefight, and I kicked down the door. We charged in, screaming at the top of our lungs.

It was a good thing my trigger finger was feeling a little sore. It was rather embarrassing to charge into what could probably be your last firefight, your final blaze of glory, and to find out that you almost got your own guys killed. For in front of us, were not Mortus troopers arming themselves, but rather, our reinforcements, sent to us from Omaha. They looked scared, agitated, probably the Corporals, with the one closest to us, looking only slightly surprised, who is probably Sergeant Parkins.

"Uh... sorry to jump on you guys like that. You should've told us that you were already in the complex." I said, in my defense. The entire room relaxed their arms, and slowly holstered their rifles. "Jesus, we almost shot you." said one of the Corporals.

"This seems to be an armory, sir." Sergeant Parkins said to me, as we both inspect the room. Empty weapon racks, lockers left open, crystal-bolt magazines lying on the ground, that no one even bothered to pick up. Guess we took some of them by surprise, at least.

I look to the corner, where a decent-sized collection of crates lie. I open them up, and I saw the largest stockpile of crystal-bolt munitions I had ever seen in my life so far. Granted, I haven't seen many stockpiles, but I must admit, this is a lot. "Alright, we'll stock up on ammo, and then head out." I said to the guys as Davo and I scurry around the crate, him taking as many Dzida magazines as humanly possible, while I grab all the Strajk magazines I could find. Such a sad thing, to see all this stuff be left unused. But it's not as if standard New Union weaponry could accept these ammunition types anyway.

"Alright, let's move." I said to the guys, as we moved out at running speed through the East Wing. "This is Fireteam Comet, we have linked up with reinforcements from Omaha, moving towards the objective to assist Fireteam Nexus, over." I spoke into my comms on the way.

Last edited:
Katherine

"Copy that, and don't worry about me. Just keep yourself alive. Fall back if you need to, and don't push yourself too hard." I get up, and put my weapons in their correct spots before looking at Captain Miller. "Thanks for the talk. Stay alive, and maybe we can talk again later."

Eyeballing several points of where I can lay down some cover (literal) fire, I use the grappling hook that came with the armor to get back to the jeep in an instant, taking a Zmija from my scavenging trip earlier, just in case my rifle spontaneously fails, before vaulting up branches into the jungle canopy once again, perching on a branch, eyes down on the Fireteams now entering the CDS complex.

"I also do well in CQC, but I don't think anyone would recommend doing so in my armor." I say, before swinging my rifle back over and onto my shoulder, sights on the comm array, firing at an alien arm, though the shot deflected off of an invisible field. Huh.

I didn't pay mind to Katherine scurrying around me, but took notice as the shot she took deflected off... Something. "What was that?" I asked, glancing up at her with a confused look. I looked back through my scope at the target, and took my own shot, only for it to deflect as well. "Hmph. Guys we have a problem..." I said, keeping my eyes fixed on the shielded alien. "We have a Smierc, and he seems to be shielded by something, no visible sign of protection." I informed them. "Stay alive? As long as we keep an eye on each other we will be fine." I reassured her. "Alright Jao, you treat my guys good alright? If you chip the paint you don't get your deposit back." I joked, knowing my guys could handle themselves and could take the joke, hopefully at least.

Last edited:
DM

As the invasion is underway, the Commander, Commander George S. Perez, began to receive the preliminary battle reports from the ground forces. The Recovery Fleet, Winchester, is still managing to hold off the orbital defense stations, but the Sabre Corps is going to have to destroy the CDS communications array soon. The NUSS Artemis III, the flagship of Fleet Winchester, continues to oversee both the ground operations and the naval engagement.

However, the Commander begins to notice some odd things about the whole situation. From the preliminary reports, it seems that the ground forces are not meeting as heavy of a resistance from the Smierc Collective and its Mortus Troopers. Initial hostile contact is usually yielding positive wins for the New Union forces, and there are no active enemy air defense fighters engaging the incoming New Union dropships. Even in the naval engagement in Yabrao's orbit, the Smierc Collective's defensive fleet is not present in their full capacity.

"What is going on? Why aren't we seeing more enemy presence at Yabrao?", asked the Commander to a nearby New Union Navy Captain.

"Sir, we are confirming the same situations all over with both the ground forces and our current naval fleet; there's a shortage of expected Smierc Collective defensive resistance from our initial calculations.", responded the Captain.

The Commander began to stroke his beard as he looked into the secured live camera footage of both the ground battles and the naval engagements. It is pretty obvious that the Smierc Collective is not fighting to their best ability, and there is a distinct shortage of troops and ships for a proper defense against a planetary invasion.

Taking note of the situation, the Commander relayed orders to be spread across all fighting forces currently engaged with the Smierc Collective.

"This is a message from the Field Battle HQ NUSS Artemis III. We're seeing a strange lack of enemy presence compared to our initial estimated combatants on Yabrao. There may be something up with the Smierc Collective, so stay alert, over!"

That's when the attack started. All over Fleet Winchester, several ships began to be unresponsive to all controls. Several New Union ships veered straight into the firing range of the orbital defense stations, leading to their explosive demise. Even the New Union fighters currently engaged with the Smierc Collective Defense Fleet became unresponsive to controls, leading many pilots to spiral to their deaths.

"Captain, I need a sit-rep right now!! Shut down all engines and focus only on stabilizers to keep up oriented for battle!"
"Aye Commander!"

The Captain scanned the navigational computers and other systems that are related to the NUSS Artemis III's controls, and made a horrifying discovery. The Smierc Collective has somehow managed to infiltrate the New Union Military Communications Network and spread a computer virus to take over Fleet Winchester. The Captain rushed to the Commander, relaying this crucial piece of information.

"That's it, we're ordering a retreat. Order a retreat now! Switch to manual control and try to get that virus out of my systems!"

With that order, a massive retreat order is relayed to all New Union forces. Meanwhile, the New Union Recovery Fleet began to turn their railgun turrets and missiles against each other, beginning to destroy each other rather than the Smierc Collective.

Katherine

Crouching down on my leafy perch, I can hear a commotion on the comms coming from the Winchester Fleet (which is well named, I might add,) but a specific line interested me beyond a doubt.

On the screen, Commander Perez's name flickered on the top bar of the lens of the Data Analyzer along with audio as well, though mixed in with some static from the atmospheric interference.

"Kzzxxxtt... it, we're... Kzzxxxtt... Order a retreat now! Kzzxxxtt... try to get that virus out... Kzzxxxtt..."

I let out a groan, letting my free hand's palm hit my face in disgust. Someone didn't update their antivirus software and definitions...

Swapping over to the local channel, I said, "They're ordering a retreat, naval support is out of the question, but we ought to finish what we need to do. Set up those explosives and get out of there! I can detonate them.

"As for the guys being protected by that invisible shield~," jumping and disappearing into another tree to avoid a salvo of crystal-bolts coming from the CDS, now targeted at me, "I think they have one of those area shield thingies..."

Experiment time. I take my partially full box magazine of bolts out of my rifle, blowing a tiny flame into it and on the bolts, making them glow a bright red, tiny wisps of fire emanating from them every so often, before locking it back in and pulling back on the bolt. "AP Incendiary Dragonsbreath round, stand clear!"

Upon firing, a blinding flash of white light came from the compensator from the amount of heat contained in the tiny bolt. To my satisfaction, the bolt shredded its outer 'incendiary' layer on impact with the field, causing a fireball no bigger than a person, but enough to cause the field to falter slightly, allowing the 'AP' core to pass through it, and tear off a Smierc arm that just so happened to be in the way.

The barrel and its attachment(s) were glowing red from the amount of heat released, with smoke wafting out, though it's been several seconds after the firing. "Well, I got someone. How were the fireworks?"

Last edited:
"Shit..." I muttered at all of our support high-tailing it. "We've been left high and dry on support... Great." I said, muttering something else under my breath others wouldn't want to hear.

I ducked down as some holo-bolts headed my way, them passing above me or hitting my vantage. I slid my rifle off my perch and around my shoulder, then taking out my handgun and deploying my personal shield as another volley came by, some deflecting or missing, others sticking in. I heard the shot behind me and was still slightly blinding by the light from the muzzle flash. I watched as the shot hit and penetrated, hitting the Smierc.

"Damn fine shot, corporal!" I shouted, glancing at her. "I didn't realize it was the 4th of July already!" I added on, then got serious again. "Also you gave an idea. I want you to light my shield on fire on my command, I think we can make your fireworks display look like a firecracker if this works..."

Last edited:
Katherine

Noticing even more blips coming in from the north, "Enemy signatures North, inbound. Relatively large in size. ETA 30 minutes. Morrison, finish up and let's go!"

After activating my personal shield, I jump off of my perch, avoiding another volley of shots, while expending my whole box of 'APIDB' rounds into the crippled Mortus Knight's head, putting the fella out of his misery, 3 Smierc Berserkers, and 4 other Smierc Knights, most of them losing their arms and legs.

"Hostiles crippled, sending targeting information now." I said, landing in the crunchy understory of the enormous jungle, noticing that the field I'm firing through is also starting to flicker and fade more and more often.

My rifle was now glowing white and jamming from overheating, "...and there goes my rifle, but at least I went on a scavenging trip." Taking the spare Zmija I got off of a dead Hunter some time ago, after putting my own rifle on my back. "Only about five shots in this, make it count."

After listening to Captain Miller's plan, I started having doubts on this plan, "I hope you have some good protection cause this stuff can get really, really hot, and it'll weaken your shield considerably." That's what the fire does to the bolts; makes them hot and unstable to the point where the outer layer shatter on impact, creating the large fireball or the blinding muzzle flash. "I don't guarantee you'll come out without some kind of injury, but if you're willing to follow through with this, I'm ready."

"A few scorch marks never hurt anyone." I said, "and let me put it this way, this thing plus your fire will make a big fireball. Pretty much a napalm IED. Follow me." I said, heading toward the blips on my HUD. "Also, word of advice, if I offer an idea, I obviously am willing to go trough with it." I added on, keeping my shield facing the main conentration of blips. When the first few came into view I stopped and waited for more to show up. "Alright, on your mark light this shield on fire and I'm going to release it into them, but when I throw this shield, get down." I warned, taking a step back to have her slightly ahead.

Adrian

Over the comms radio, I heard the mass retreat order from the NUSS Artemis III. Seems like there's been a whole deal with some sort of computer virus, from what I could hear in the static. Meanwhile, Katherine is yelling at me to start pulling out Fireteam Nexus.

"Roger that Corporal Katherine. Fireteam Nexus is pulling out. I'll call in our dropship extract, over."

Corporal Amis and Ingrid both looked rather annoyed at the fact that our Recovery Fleet fell under a computer virus. This troubles me as well, since it's well known how extensive the computer safeguards are for all New Union military hardware and software. I'm not even sure if the Smierc Collective and the New Union share similar computer architectures. Nonetheless, anything goes in war, and it seems that we pulled the short one today.

"This is Corporal Adrian Morrison of Fireteam Nexus, requesting for an immediate dropship evac, over!"
"This is dropship Zulu-04, making our way to your extract point, over."

The dropship extract is around a couple minutes if we run. Even with the New Union in full retreat, we're still not seeing as much resistance or even retribution from the Smierc Collective forces. Something is going on, I can tell.

I start to provide some cover fire for the rest of my Fireteam to start heading out, unable to fulfill our mission even with the target in sight. Then again, what can we do with direct orders from HQ, right?

Katherine

"Okay," taking a deep breath to concentrate on the shield I'll be lighting up in a few short moments, while also keeping an eye for when they come around the corner to fire at us.

"Now." Snapping my fingers, flicking a spark in the air, but as that spark faded, Miller's shield spontaneously erupted into flames behind me, as though the spark were like a small-scale replica of the flaming shield, though the thing stayed on fire. Following the Captain's orders, I get behind something, closing my eyes for the big flashbang-like fireball.

---

"I said to plant some explosives into the communications array!" My fire won't do anything without something volatile, so... "We're gonna be improvising now. Gather as many of those Anti-personnel Mines from off of the Smierc Knights, bundle them up together, arm them, and then get clear so I can detonate them.

"It may not be enough firepower, but we need to try, to finish what we started, and I'm not one to give up while we're ahead. If you don't want to take part, you can go ahead and retreat into the jungle until evac arrives. This sector, and other sectors..." remembering what I said earlier, "They're counting on us."

"Fire in hole!" I shouted, getting Smierc attention as I launched the shield at them, then ducking down and turning away as the shield hit one, then exploding into a blast wave of fire, killing those closest and igniting others, those further out merely feeling the heat and being blinded. I turned back around, seeing some Smierc trying to get their bearings or get rid of the flames. "IT WORKED!" I said with a laugh, then realizing the armor on my lower arm was ablaze. "Ah!" I shouted as I quickly patted out the flames, finding the armor now a slightly lighter black, and my arm a bit numb. "Well shit... It worked though." I said. I took out my rifle and took out a few stragglers. "Let's search here and see if we can find any mines over here." I said, glancing back to Katherine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back