• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Futuristic ℋ℮їґṧ: SIGMA (Sci-Fi/Powers/Interstellar Warfare RP)

(Sorry folks, just got back from a 4 day vacation. Expect new post to start the action sometime today)

(alright, barely got this post up now, get ready for action folks)

DM

As the various Fireteams of the New Union taskforce commandeer their respective Smierc cargo transports (about four in total), the impromptu pilots transmitted their security clearance codes to the central Smierc HQ commander. If this fails, then the New Union taskforce will not be able to get off Portus alive, considering that an entire fleet is above them and enforcing a blockade.

"Cargo Transports 01-2, 02-3, 03-1, 04-2, you are cleared for your cargo shipment flight.", came in the comms from the HQ's commander.

It seems that the meticulous planning of the Portus underground rebels paid off in the end, as the New Union forces now make their way to the enemy shipyard in orbit.

The cargo transports dock at the shipyard's central hub, which connects to all the ships in orbit. The mission parameters call for 50% of the fleet to be strapped with nuclear charges, after which the Scouting Fleet will exit hyperspace and launch a full scale strike on the disoriented enemy fleet to finish the Portus threat.

Adrian

Fireteam Nexus quickly took care of the Smierc's robotic inspection crew, frying them out and deploying decoy signals to make sure that the Smiercs don't suspect a thing. Noa, the AI, scanned the nearby hub area and located several service vents we could use to make our way to our targets without compromising the mission.

"This is Fireteam Nexus, reporting in. Our cargo transport has managed to dock safely, and we already took care of the robotic inspection team the Smiercs deployed and masked the signals. We're sending out a rough schematic of the central hub area to all allied units, so that we can all coordinate a move through the ventilation systems, over.", I relayed over the radio.

Bill
"Roger that."
I will take that answer as a yes.
First things first. I need to investigate the map before advancing. I believe that this place has lots of corridors I can take advantage of if we are discovered.
I patiently wait for other answers.

J

"Comet here. Got it. Where we headed?" I asked, as I crouched within my transport, opening up the map discreetly among my Fireteam. We look at it, analyzing the situation carefully, as there is no room for error, since we are basically in the enemy's backyard now. One wrong step, and the entire fleet descends upon us.

I think carefully. There should be a way to sneak onto the ships discreetly, but somehow, I think shoving an entire Fireteam full of burly men armed to the teeth through some tiny vents isn't going to be the best plan of action. I also try to guess likely guard positions and enemy strength. Seeing as a sizeable fleet is here, a Mortus Troop security detail is most likely to be expected. They'd be assigned to most likely guard the flagships and the important command & control centers, and probably munition depots as well. Though, just to be safe, I'll assume that Mortus Troopers are everywhere.

I turn to Carter, the new addition to our Fireteam, and ask an open-ended question for my entire Fireteam. "Well? Any bright ideas?"

JacobLG JacobLG @Komrade Kommissar GearBlade654 GearBlade654

Carter Nyles​

Carter gritted his teeth, going over the few options plausible for such a heavily-equipped fireteam in his head. "Maybe we could go through the engine rooms. I've no doubt it'll be dangerous down there, but the security details will probably be robotic considering the added risk, and the robotics I should be able to neutralize with ease using my powers. Of course we'll have to get through cargo first and then make our way down to the engine rooms in the first place. I think if we could make it to a lift that route would be doable, but, as you already know, the security details we'll run into getting to that lift are gonna be a pain in the ass," Carter said, a HUD of the ship they were boarding opened in his helmet as he belted out his suggestion quickly. "That's all I got for now," Carter finished after a few moments pause, checking his rifle idly for the upteenth time for any possible malfunctions.

Adrian

I see that everybody is getting tense. To tell the truth, the tension is getting to me as well. This mission could determine the fate of the New Union, so we don't get a chance to mess up. Studying the map with Noa, the AI's help, I come to the conclusion that each Fireteam should use the branching vent system to get to our designated targets.

"Alright Fireteams, listen up. We're going to split ways and get to each of our designated Smierc targets for demolition through the vents. I would advise for those with scouting drones to use them prior to entering the vents, since we don't have a thorough map of the security measures of this place."

With that said, I quickly got Fireteam Nexus into one of the vents connected via the dock. We needed to get off the cargo ship quick, as the unloading robots would soon enter and begin the cargo transfer process. In short, we're not going to have the cargo ships as transports back to Portus. We needed to succeed in this mission if we wanted to get out of here alive.

DM

The Smierc Collective's dry dock in Portus' orbit was set up almost as soon as the Collective took over Portus. The locals were enlisted as needed for administrative purposes, considering that the labor was filled by the Smierc's reliance on robots for most menial labor/construction needs.

For the Smiercs, the ultimate sign of conquest is the construction of dry docks over captured planets. For the Smierc, their naval prowess is what enables them to rapidly expand into the Milky Way Galaxy. For most encounters with resisting local species, the Smierc would just overwhelm them with their advanced space-based navy.

This time, it was different.

The New Union had the naval technology to rival the Smiercs, utilizing their own system of advancing shielding and holographic-based weapons that were surprisingly effective on homegrown Smierc bio-fields. That meant that the Smiercs needed to upscale their naval production far beyond their normal means.

It meant that the Smiercs were preparing to absolutely crush the New Union through numbers... Not exactly a good sign for the declining humans.

Bill
"Roger that."
I turn to Fireteam Comet.
"I have a modified version of the normal Scouting Drone. I can send it in these vents for recon."
I take the drone out. A metal disc, with a small red dome on top and a BEP on the bottom. I toss the drone lightly in the air, and in response, the disc immediately floats in the air with the red dome softly glowing.
"Permission to deploy drone?"

Raijin
"Well...This is just brilliant. First day on the transfer and they send me on a suicide mission with no briefing and a squad I know nothing about,"
mumbled Raijin. For some reason, he was the ranking officer on the squad and they expect him to lead a team with no plan. "I guess it's more fun this way."

Raijin decided to address Fireteam Mako and get some information. "Alright team, let's go over the plan one more time. Private Hammer, would you like to explain the plan for us."

The Private started to protest, but he stopped and explained the plan for his superior anyways. The plan went like this: we took these transport ships filled with nukes to a Smierc shipyard where we then transferred the "cargo" to new ships that flew us up to their ships in orbit and then we blow things up. Seems simple. The only reason Raijin didn't know any of this was because he was "smuggled" in a vacuum sealed stasis pod so that they didn't have any explosive accidents with the nukes or the security robots.

As Private Hammer finished the plan, the doors to the ship's cargo bay slid open and several loading bots stomped in. What the heck? Why didn't I detect them? They detected us instantly and opened fired on the squad. Private Hammer dove into cover while the rest of the squad wasn't so lucky.

Panicking, Raijin turned to his Wisp Form to avoid the bullets and dash towards the bots to disable them. Once he did, he realized his mistake. The control center would notice the missing signals, so he quickly torn open the bots to reactivate the signals. "That...wasn't fun at all."

He went back to where his squad mates had fallen and put his suit back on, realizing that the New Union decided to cover his suit with insulation, leaving only the super conductor face-plate. That's why he couldn't detect the bots. Raijin radioed the other squads. "This is Sergeant Raijin from Fireteam Mako, my squad has been detected and eliminated, but no alarm has been raised. Me and Private Hammer are the only ones left, and we cannot transport the nukes given my abilities. Over."

"This is Fireteam Comet, we read you. Rendezvous with us at the corridor leading out of the hanger bay. Over."

Raijin picked up his custom DES and his newly silenced revolver and signaled Hammer to form up on him. The NU is a pain in the butt, they have to stop modifying his equipment without his permission and actually brief him. He sighed and began to make his way to the rendezvous. Now where's the dang map?

J

"Yeah. That could work. Yeah, we'll do that." I said to Carter, taking his idea into consideration. A full Fireteam, plus additional troops, would be hard to navigate through a cargo area without getting detected or killing half the occupants in our path, though. Perhaps we'll be safer if...

I glance to Bill, who had just graciously asked for permission to get his modified drone into a vent. Morrison just briefed us on the game plan just now as well, so I nod to him. I motion my hand to Carlison, and he quickly uses the butt of his sniper rifle to bash in a vent cover, with John and Danny holding its sides so that it doesn't make any more of a commotion when it falls. Hope that didn't attract anything dangerous.

"Get it in there, Bill. We're looking for a way to a lift of some sort. We're following Carter's plan, but we're going through the vents. Too much of a risk going through the cargo. We're too big." I whispered quietly to the Fireteam, before dispersing them for covert overwatch of the area. Now we just have to wait until we find--

"This is Fireteam Comet, we read you. Rendezvouz with us at the corridor leading out of the hangar bay. Over."

Guess we have company. Sounds like their Fireteam took a beating. Only two left. Jeez. Hope those two are good. They broke radio silence, though. I don't know how that's going to affect our mission. Let's hope no one was listening.

Bill
"Roger. Scouting protocols engaged."
The drone floats off into the vent. I watch for a few seconds, then check my own weapon.
Good to go.
I pull out a screen for the drone. Time to see what we have to do-and fast.

Adrian

As I led Fireteam Nexus down towards the vents, making sure that enemy robots are not nearby, I ordered one of the Frontline Troopers to send out a Scouting Drone. The drone quickly became airbourne and entered the vents, scanning the area as meticulously as it could with its sensor package. The drone noted areas of high security measures, as well as areas where we could easily take down the security with our own hacking methods.

With the drone's scouting complete, Noa suggested the nearest Smierc ship for us to take down. It would be about a 10 minute crawl through the vents, avoiding the areas tripped with heavy security measures. Sergeant Amis made sure that the newer members of the Fireteam got into the vent and were comfortable before heading in. I myself was at the front, with my HoloRifle tucked in its magnetic holster while I got my own AutoPistol out for reasonable self-defense.

That's when I heard a friendly radio comm. That's not supposed to happen...

"Friendly units, be advised. We're switching to tachyon-based communications. We cannot risk clumsily giving away with sub-lightspeed radio waves. Keep comms to a minimum, over.", I said using the comms network that I just suggested.

With that said, I found myself struggling a bit in the cramped space of the vents while disabling the weaker security measures. The long war might have brought countless ruin for the New Union, but it did also enable us to gain a useful understanding of the Smierc Collective's electronic systems. They seem to have based electronics to a 4-bit system (unlike our older binary system of computations). It made hacking normal Smierc systems easy, as the New Union had switched over mostly to quantum computing about a century ago. Even so, most secured Smierc systems are based on quantum computing as well, meaning that trying to decipher them is much more of a challenge.

After disabling the weaker security systems, I found myself looking outside the exit vents near our target: a Smierc warship. This one is so much bigger than anything I've ever seen. Why would a ship even need that much mass? Anyways, back on the mission. Once the coast was clear of robotic guards, I slipped open the vent cover and quietly descended back to the floor. I note that we are in some sort of storage station, where robotic parts are strewn all over.

Sergeant Amis rounded the Fireteam up, as did Corporal Ingris. I have to keep reminding myself that only three of the original crew remained, and that I still needed to prove myself as not a bad omen, but one that will bring success to this mission.

"Let's get it started. Nearest airlock to the space docks is about 20 steps away to the right. Keep your eyes and scanners peeled."

(Just noticed I accidentally bounced to 3rd person in my last post. My fault, tryin' to keep this consistently 1st.)

Carter Nyles
I nodded at Joachim's command, dismissing myself before leaving to gain a vantage point with visuals over a 45 degree area of the docking bay. From my position, I could see a few of the unloading bots doing menial tasks like sorting through cargo and running checks on what was coming through. Their sense of awareness wasn't the best, which I was thankful for, considering the loadouts of my designated fireteam. Still, I could feel my heart thudding in my chest consistently, to which I forced to slow with deep, calm breaths. However, after catching wind of the unfortunate fate of Fireteam Mako, I could feel the thudding beginning once again much to my dismay. "Deep breaths, Carter," I whispered to myself. "That won't happen to us," I reassured myself, the dead words falling like bricks even upon my own ears. There was always a risk of being killed, but hell, that's what I signed up for, isn't it?

Last edited:
Bill
The drone, dutifully floating from vent to vent, was still performing recon. I shoot a look at the screen, giving my eyes a few seconds to look at what was on the screen.
I'm not sure if anyone sees this, but my face is set in a grim scowl. One wrong move, and the Sigma Sector is as good as doomed.
I glance down at my DES, and look back at the screen.
Vents, vents, and more vents, if I'm not mistaken.
C'mon, do something drone-ooh, what's this now?
The screen seems to be indicating something instead of the average vents. Something, or it's my imagination.

"What do we got?" I asked, seeing as I had no drone. Appearently a Fireteam was already obliterated, but no alarms were raised. I highly doubted the second part considered the shots would have been most likely reported. "We should geta move on soon, the longer we wait here, the more of a chance we have of being detected." I said, but still paitently waiting for our recon to come back.

(Sorry, I'm getting used to school again)
Raijin
Raijin used his modified thruster pack to maneuver to an air vent, with Private Hammer following close behind. As they crawled through the vents to rendezvous with Fireteam Comet, Raijin couldn't help but notice how little sound they made. They were two relatively large soldiers in very heavy power armor crawling around air vents, which is supposed to be the loudest thing possible, but it was almost silent. Even with his Enhanced Auditory Sense module, he could hardly hear their movements.
"Private Hammer, do you notice how quite we are?"

"Yes, Gunnery Sergeant Huang, sir. That is my use of Silentium: Sonic."

"Please refer to me as Sergeant Raijin from now on. But you said your ability is to manipulate sound?"

"That is correct. I can mute sounds and create concussive sound waves."
He can manipulate sound? No wonder why more bots didn't show up when they opened fire. That's actually pretty convenient, but damn annoying.

"For future reference, please notify me when you use it Private. If you fail to do so...we'll figure something out..."

"Yes, sir!"

After a minute more of crawling, the map indicated that they were at the rendezvous.

"Alright, Private Hammer, we are now above the corridor, you can disable your Mute." Private Hammer nodded. Raijin tapped the air vent to make sure. There was a dull clank. "Okay, this tie, I actually have a plan. I'll go in first and take out any enemies, while you wait up here."

"With all due respect Sergeant Hua... Raijin, that is a terrible plan."

"I am perfectly aware of that, but you have to suppress any gunfire that may occur, or else the entire mission would be endangered."

Private Hammer nodded and readied his powers, while Raijin gently removed the vent cover in front of him and unholstered his pistol. Raijin then dropped down into the corridor and started sensing for any life forms. He sensed a squad of armored entities in front of him. One of them seemed to be remote controlling something from his tablet, based on the signals given off. Another had a communicator that projected a signal that matched the one that replied to Raijin.

Raijin holstered his pistol and called Private Hammer down.

"Gunnery Sergeant Raijin and Private Hammer reporting for duty." Raijin said in a jokingly serious manner.

"Save the jokes for after the mission. I'm...J"

"Alright, J, what are we doing right now?"

"We're wait for Bill here to finish the recon, you can wait over there."
He motioned somewhere, but Raijin couldn't tell where it pointed, his focus was on Bill's screen.

Bill
"Alrighty. Feast your eyes..."
I point at the screen.

A Smierc Warship.

Oh boy. And the thing was a lot larger than what it was supposed to be. What is it carrying?
Anyways. Back to the mission.
I point at angry red spots on the screen.
"Security detected, we'll need caution to get around those sensors."

J

So, the guys from that obliterated Fireteam finally showed up. Kinda spooked me when they rounded the corner, but it's okay. I didn't expect... these guys. I imagined they'd look more like normal Sabre Corps troops. Not this weird suit thing. But I digress. We're now grouped together, and that's hopefully the final addition to Fireteam Comet for the time being.

"Alright. We're moving on that Smierc warship. Everyone, get your sidearms out, we're going vent-crawling." I said to everyone, holstering my bulky LMG, opting to take out my Strajk instead, having a firm grip on it. My AI brings up comms for me, and I broadcast to everyone via tachyon-based communications.

"All units, this is Comet. We've located a warship to the North-East of us, about..." I peer into Bill's screen, reading its bearings. "...bearing 2-4-1 degrees from our entry point. About 300 to 500 meters. Over." I then turn to the rest of Fireteam Comet, a bulky squad, a force to be reckoned with.

"Right. So any of us got any fancy superpowers that'll be useful for vent crawling?" I asked everyone, motioning my head towards the two newcomers, who have identified themselves as Raijin and Hammer. I have a feeling one of those two have some kind of power that detects sensors or traps or something, seeing as it's unlikely they managed to sneak past all the security measures to our position without taking to the vents or something.

Raijin
Raijin was focused on the screen of the drone pilot. On the device was a live feed of the drone, and on that feed was an enormous Smierc warship, judging by how far the drone was from it. They should not be this big, but heck if we're going to let it stay the way it is.

J motioned toward us asking: "Right. So any of us got any fancy superpowers that'll be useful for vent crawling?"

Raijin raised his hand. "Funny you should say that. We could use Private Hammer's ability: Sonic"

A random soldier looked at Raijin, cocking his head. "What the hell does that mean?"

"It means that Hammer can suppress almost all sounds coming from a certain range, at least 10 meters, give the space on our transport. It let us sneak through the vents without a sound, but heck is it annoying to me. Oh yeah, his ability is also what prevented us from being detected while squad did the whole...dying thing."

That same random soldier looked skeptical, "That still doesn't prevent laser trip sensors and heat monitors from noticing all the heat coming from your suit's core."

"Actually, my suit's vacuum insulated."
Raijin then mumbled, "Thanks, New Union!" before continuing on. "So no heat coming out from me. But regardless, my powers make me a living live wire, so I can fry most electronics I touch or manipulate their signals if I'm careful. I'll let you guess which one I did."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back