RpNation Site Rules
1. Respect - Users are expected to respect all other users. Users may not attack, demean, or insult other users of RpNation. This includes staff members.
Harassment - Users are not allowed to harass other members on RpNation. Harassment is defined as the action of targeting another individual repeatedly with messages or actions that intend to annoy, upset, disturb, or insult. Users can be reported for harassment if they continue communicating to an individual who has requested a termination of behaviors by the harassed user or by any others. Any user may report suspected harassment; it does not need to be the person being harassed. The Staff encourages users to report harassment, even if it is not against them personally. Reports of user harassment are taken seriously by RpNation Staff and strict punishment may be dealt to accounts engaging in harassment.
Discrimination - RpNation takes complaints of discrimination seriously. However, because of the complicated nature associated with discrimination, the Staff handles matters of discrimination on a case by case basis. If you feel you have been discriminated against, please report the incident to the RpNation Staff and an Administrator will investigate the matter.
Let the Staff do their Job - It is acceptable for users to calmly and respectfully explain site rules and regulations to other users, but users are not staff of the site. Users are not allowed to belittle or demean another user for their actions. Staff members are here to deal with that. If a user is breaking a rule, it should be reported. Users are not to police RpNation and will be punished for vigilantism against other users.
2. No Erotic/Extreme Gore Content - RpNation is not an Erotic Roleplay Site. This means users are not allowed to post any explicit erotic content on RpNation. This includes, but is not limited to, both written words and images.
No Sexual Roleplaying - Users of RpNation are not allowed to participate in sexual roleplaying under any situation on RpNation or other web spaces provided by RpNation. Users must not roleplay sexual acts in any roleplay even if warnings of mature content are provided. Roleplays that post explicit erotic content face immediate closure and all users involved will be dealt with accordingly.
Encouraging Erotic Content - Users are not allowed to encourage the creation of erotic content on RpNation or other web spaces provided by RpNation. Users must refrain from allowing erotic content within their roleplays or within the Private Messaging system. Users must also avoid implying or instructing other users to conduct in erotic roleplaying off-site or in their private messages/conversations.
Extreme Gore - RpNation does allow non-erotic adult content, but RpNation does not allow extreme descriptions of gore or violence. Users cannot post real-life photography of extreme gore or violence. Drawn extreme gore or violence can be posted, but must be placed in spoiler BBCode.
3. No Illegal or Immoral Discussions - Users are not allowed to discuss or provide advice that is either illegal or immoral on RpNation. Topics considered illegal or immoral can include, but are not limited to: piracy of copyrighted media, theft, selling illegal products, or threatening individuals or organizations.
In-Character Behavior - Literary freedoms do exist on RpNation when it comes to roleplaying. Characters can partake in illegal or immoral behavior when it doesn’t conflict with other site rules and is allowed by the creator of the roleplay. When roleplaying a character who is involved in illegal or immoral behavior as defined above, the user is expected to address the situation in a mature, respectful, and delicate manner. As an example, if a character is a drug addict and the creator of the roleplay allows it, they can imply the use of drugs or similar activities. However, users cannot discuss drugs out of character or give advice about such content to other users.
4. User names - To make it easier to tag and type usernames, we are now only allowing the following characters in usernames:
- All alphanumerics (A-Z, a-z, 0-9), in both upper and lower case
- Periods ( . ), colons ( : ), semi-colons ( ; ), underscores ( _ ), hyphens ( - ), and spaces
5. No Advertisements – Users are not allowed to advertise external websites or services with the intention of either personal gain or distracting from the community. This means links that benefit the posting user, links that sell a product or service, or links that serve to gain a user-base on another website are considered advertising and will be removed.
Commissions - Commission requests and advertisements are permitted as long as such posts are made in the Creativity section and given the "Commissions" tag. Costs may be discussed in the post, but any and all payment information (such as credit cards, etc.) may not be posted in public and may only be handled via PM.
Admin Permission – A user can seek permission to have an external site affiliated with RpNation under Advertising Links. The website must be approved by RpNation Site Administrators. If seeking an official affiliation with RpNation, please contact us using admin contact.
Reporting Advertisements - Users are advised to report any thread or post that appears to be advertising a product or promoting a roleplay not hosted on RpNation. Reporting can help moderators remove Spambots quickly and efficiently.
Offsite roleplaying - Users are allowed to recruit for offsite roleplaying in a thread for Skype and all the various IMs and programs that exist. However, RpNation and the RpNation staff are not responsible for any content/harassment that may occur unless it is on the RpNation site or on the official RpNation Discord server.
Public contact information - We highly recommend NOT sharing any contact information publicly, as doing so can lead to harassment, stalking, and/or other unpleasant things. We will not be issuing any warnings to users who choose to do so; however, be advised that RpNation and the RpNation staff are not responsible for any adverse occurrences that may result.
6. No Ban Evasion - Users on RpNation are expected to serve any punishment by the RpNation Staff to the punishment's completion. Users who are banned are expected to remain off the site until their ban has expired. Users who are discovered evading their ban will receive additional punishments to their account depending on the severity of the ban and the evasion. Any secondary account a user users to evade punishments will be removed from the site.
Connected Punishments - Users on RpNation are allowed to possess multiple accounts. However, such accounts are considered conjoined in terms of warnings and punishments. Users should not attempt to create new accounts as a means to avoid further punishments for repeated offenses.
Aiding a Banned User - Users on RpNation who are not banned but are found helping a member evade being banned, such as letting that user utilize their own account to post, will also be punished.
Ban Appeals - Users who are banned from the site can appeal their bans to the RpNation Administration. Please see RpNation's Ban Appeal Policy below.
7. Spam - Users should not post spam on RpNation. Spam is defined as posting content in an area of the site where that content is not meant to be held. This can include but is not limited to: posting repeated images, flooding a thread or forum with posts, and posting forum games within the discussion forums. Threads or posts marked as spam will be either moved to the appropriate section or deleted by moderators.
Be Wary of Flooding - When considering Spam, users should be wary of flooding a thread or forum. Flooding is the action of creating multiple entries within a single area of the site in a short period of time. Users can flood forums by posting too many threads in one forum too frequently or without necessity and in threads by posting too many posts in a single thread.
Respectful Recruitment - Users should avoid posting threads involving/promoting their individual roleplays outside of the designated Recruitment Category. Recruitment and Interest Check threads posted in incorrect areas of RpNation will be moved.
Distracting Signatures - We are relaxing the limits on signatures, but please try to keep to a reasonable length and format. We're here to focus on your post, not your signature! xF has a setting in user preferences that allows you to not see signatures if you so desire.
Animated Avatars - The site software does not allow the use of animated avatars.
Use Fonts/Colors with Discretion - RpNation encourages users to experiment with BBCode, color, and text options in roleplay posts. In order to make sure content is readable in non-IC posts (i.e. site questions & information, news & updates, discussion threads, etc.), RpNation requests users do not apply text colors or fonts.
English Only - Content posted on RpNation is expected to be written in the English language. Roleplays posted on RpNation must utilize the English language (outside of in-character dialogue). RpNation chat requires English to be used in all conversations. This assists staff members to moderate content effectively and fairly.
----- Minor Elements of posts, such as: usernames, phrases, signatures and in-character dialogue, are not required to be English. However, users may be asked to provide an honest translation to a moderator upon request.
8. Positive Environment - The general RpNation forums are not places for users to vent or rant on their own personal problems. RpNation is supposed to be a place for users to have a fun and positive experience. For this reason, users wishing to vent or discuss serious or upsetting problems should post in the personal discussion forum.
Uncomfortable Conversations - Users should respect the wishes of other members while using private messages or the site's public forums. If a member asks another user to stop talking about a specific topic within a thread or in a private conversation, the topic of discussion should be switched or that part of the conversation should move to another section of the site. This guideline is not to give users permission to shut down a conversation just because they do not like the topic. Instead, it is to prevent conversations that upset or unease other members who are involved. Topics that can be told to stop can include but are not limited to: sexuality, gender identity, religion, politics, philosophy, ideology, theology, or trigger topics (e.g. murder, sex, drug addiction). If users are asked to stop, they have the option to move their discussion to another area on RpNation. Starting a new thread about the topic in question or continuing the discussion within a private conservation are both viable methods if the topic is allowed by RpNation Site Rules.
All users are discouraged from making "wall virginity" posts (i.e., posting on someone's profile with the comment "I've stolen your wall virginity!" or other sexual references). These may be reported, removed, and/or given warnings even before being asked to stop.
Spoilers - Users are advised not to "spoil" any media without a spoiler tag outside of discussion threads designated specifically to the media in question (e.g. Naruto spoilers can be posted in a Naruto Discussion thread without warning but are not allowed elsewhere without spoiler tags). Spoilers are described as explaining or talking about plot or character developments of a media product. Users posting spoilers are still advised to utilize the spoiler or in-line spoiler BBCode even in threads aimed at a specific media source.
Offensive Word Filter - Certain words are known to be near-universally offensive, and so we filter them from the site. Filtered words are replaced by the phrase "I'm uncultured." If you see this in your post, you know what word it has replaced. Attempts to evade this filter will result in an Uncomfortable Communications warning. Please refrain from the use of asterisks, underscores, spaces, or other means of filter evasion.
Warning/Ban Discussion - To promote this positive environment, users are not allowed to discuss Warnings, Infraction Points, or Site Bans of any duration in the public forums; this includes, but is not limited to: Status Updates, forum threads/posts, or any other publicly accessible on-site discussion tools. Discussion of Warnings, Infraction Points, or Bans will be deleted without notice and the user(s) issued with a site warning. If a user feels that they have received a warning and/or Infraction Points unfairly, they may place a support ticket with the Administration. Ban Appeals are described in detail below.
9. Plagiarism - Plagiarism is defined as the "theft" or unauthorized use of someone else’s intellectual property, such as writing, artwork, and other creative works. RpNation does not condone the use of plagiarism in any form. If the creator of such a work reports an instance of plagiarism, the plagiarizing post is subject to removal and the poster may receive a warning.
Pictures - Use of pictures found on the internet is exceedingly common, and we don't want to limit it unfairly. Users are free to use any images not explicitly restricted by the creator/owner of the image. We do encourage users to include a link to the picture source wherever possible, to give credit to the creator/owner. Note, however, that if we are contacted by the creator/owner and requested to take down an image, we will do so, so make sure any images are free use.
BBcode and other formatting - While BBcode is more limited than HTML, and therefore there are more limited ways to use it, we still wish to protect the rights of those who have spent extensive time with their post formats. If a user wishes to share coding that they have created, we absolutely encourage that. However, many users wish credit to be given when their codes are used, and some may not wish their codes used at all. With that in mind, if the creator of a particular BBcode combination requests that other users include a link to the original source, that request must be honored. If the other user does not comply after a reasonable time, the original creator of the BBcode may make a report and the staff will handle it from there.
10. Roleplay Rights
Staff Intervention in Roleplay Disputes
It is important to note before reading below that RpNation Staff do not typically get involved in roleplay disputes between members. Outside of rule breaking, RpNation Staff only get involved in a dispute if the Roleplay Creator petitions the Staff for assistance with their roleplay. In those cases, the RpNation Staff expect the Roleplay Creator to have taken reasonable steps to resolve any disputes before requesting assistance.
RpNation Staff will NOT get involved in a roleplay dispute on behalf of players unless the Roleplay Creator is violating RpNation Site Rules. If you have an issue with your roleplay creator, you as a player have options, including leaving the roleplay or making your own roleplay on RpNation. Complaints of stolen characters or other forms of plagiarism will be investigated by the RpNation Staff if appropriately reported.
Roleplay Creator Rights:
Roleplay Creators have certain rights over their roleplays created on RpNation or web spaces provided by RpNation. These rights are not necessarily absolute and can be altered or changed depending on a Roleplay Creator's behavior. If a dispute over a roleplay arises, the Roleplay Creator will be held in higher authority than a roleplay's participants by RpNation staff members. All Roleplay Creator's rights are listed below:
- Roleplay Creators are the authority over their roleplays, not their players.
- Roleplay Creators are the owners of their roleplays.
- Roleplay Creators have the right to add their own rules to their roleplay (as long as such rules do not contradict or abridge RpN Site Rules or Policies).
- Roleplay Creators have the right to determine what content is allowed in their roleplay (as long as such content does not break RpN Site Rules or Policies).
- Roleplay Creators have the right to remove or reject any player from their roleplay.
- Roleplay Creators have the right to prohibit or edit any action that occurs within their roleplay.
- Roleplay Creators have the right to make decisions about their roleplay’s setting or lore and can even declare any content as "non-canon" for their roleplay.
- Roleplay Creators can moderate and edit any content posted in their roleplay.
- Roleplay Creators can delete posts within their roleplays.
- Roleplay Creators have the right to place posting requirements or restrictions onto their roleplay.
- Roleplay Creators do not have to notify their players of changes to their roleplay.
- Roleplay Creators have the right to petition to the Staff to have their rules or wishes enforced (if their attempts to resolve issues directly with their players are unsuccessful).
Roleplaying games are collaborative ventures. While a Roleplay Creator owns the content associated with their roleplay (as long as such content is not plagiarized or copyrighted), specific entries (such as a player's characters) submitted to that roleplay are considered the property and ownership of that individual poster.
RpNation Hosting Rights
Upon posting on RpNation, you as a content creator enter into an agreement with RpNation when it comes to hosting your content online. RpNation is a private entity and has the right to control what content and materials are hosted on RpNation and web spaces provided by RpNation. The rights below are bestowed to RpNation staff members. These hosting rights supersede any other rights given to any roleplay creators, players, or users on RpNation. These rights do not apply to RpNation staff members acting as either a player or a Roleplay Creator within a roleplay dispute. The hosting rights are listed below:
- RpNation is the authority over all content posted on RpNation and web spaces provided by RpNation.
- RpNation has the right to terminate any content in violation of RpNation Site Rules.
- RpNation has the right to preserve, store, and archive content on its server.
- RpNation Site Administration are allowed to remove, close, delete, or forbid any roleplay determined to be rule-breaking without notice, explanation, or otherwise to the roleplay’s creator or players.
- RpNation Site Administration are allowed to moderate, edit, or delete any content posted on RpNation and web spaces provided by RpNation without notice, explanation, or otherwise.
- RpNation Site Administration are allowed to revive or retrieve deleted content posted on RpNation and web spaces provided by RpNation.
- RpNation Site Administration are allowed to remove or alter content claimed as plagiarism or copyright infringement without notice, explanation, or otherwise.
- RpNation Site Administration are allowed to hold a roleplay's creators or players liable for content they post and punish them according to RpNation Site Rules.
- RpNation Site Administration are allowed to change an individual's Roleplay Rights without notice, explanation, or otherwise.
Site Rules Override Roleplay Rules
All RpNation Site Rules are final. Roleplays cannot have rules that contradict, abridge, or remove RpNation Site Rules. Roleplays found attempting to break these rules or encourage rule-breaking will be closed. The Roleplay Creator will be held liable and will be confronted by RpNation staff members.
Ban Appeal Policy
Users banned from RpNation have the option to appeal their bans to RpNation Site Administration. Please use our RpNation Webmaster Email at firstname.lastname@example.org, as banned users cannot access Admin Contact. A ban appeal must include clear, valid reasons why the ban should be overturned. A banned user is given one chance to appeal a ban. A banned user can only appeal bans of a significant length (multiple months or permanent bans). Ban appeals underneath a month are not sufficient.
Users cannot have their ban appeals submitted by other members.
A banned user must submit the ban appeal on their own by sending the ban appeal to email@example.com.
The children's online protection privacy act (abbreviated to COPPA) is a federal law of the United States of America. The details of the law can be found http://www.coppa.org/. The short of it is that since the site’s owner and the server containing the site are both American, the site must abide by this law. Failure to comply with this law can get this site shut down and the site owner in legal trouble. This law is what prevents users under the age of 13 from being members of the site. For this reason, users that are found to be under the age of 13 will have their accounts terminated without warning by RpNation Staff.
(Last Revised on 6/17/17)