Greetings and Salutations

mythus

The Artificer
Greetings one and all,

I am known as mythus. I cam here following a button link from another RP resource site.

I am a father of 2 wonderful children, a husband to a wonderful wife, a student who recently went back to college, and most important of all... a role player and writer.

I'll be completely honest, I came here hoping to find great people to role play with, primarily at my site. But while I am here I do hope to get to know all of you better and enjoy in some good conversation regarding role playing.

Welcome, welcome, welcome.

Here's my standard welcome package: Games about to start can be signed up for here in LFG, but you can absolutely just go down to the Roleplay List to see what you can see.

You'll want to check out Roleplay Discussion, too, to add your name to the Players Seeking Games list. Maybe take a look at the Roll of Storytellers.

If you need anything, the admins are always happy to help - I'm sure one will be here soon to extend that offer formally.

And if you don't expect to be playing much here, you might want to get acquainted with the Creativity Forum, because the odds of luring people to play elsewhere are pretty low without an amazing pitch - well, that and attempting to drum up traffic for an unrelated site is frowned on.

Thanks for your standard welcome package there Grey!

Aha...ha...ha... For some unknown reason I thought that this board was for RP advertising. I completely misread the forum... way to fail there mythus... way to fail....

Oh well, no matter. I joined up so I might as well use my account for something right? So I'll just have to look around this weekend and see what I can get myself into here. Granted I probably won't be your most active member (have wife and kids, schooling, and my site that really eat up my time), but I'll do what I can. After all, what's worse than someone who joins for all the wrong reasons than someone who joins for all the wrong reasons and doesn't actually ever do anything?

So yeah, I'll check out what's all going on here, and maybe check out the Creativity Forum as well.

EDIT: Where would I go to ask questions? For example, I have something I could submit to either Creativity forum or as a source material; that is I have a completely finished tabletop RP rule book, in PDF form. I just need to know if a.) it is something I can submit, and/or b.) where.

Last edited by a moderator:
mythus said:
Thanks for your standard welcome package there Grey!
Aha...ha...ha... For some unknown reason I thought that this board was for RP advertising. I completely misread the forum... way to fail there mythus... way to fail....

Oh well, no matter. I joined up so I might as well use my account for something right? So I'll just have to look around this weekend and see what I can get myself into here. Granted I probably won't be your most active member (have wife and kids, schooling, and my site that really eat up my time), but I'll do what I can. After all, what's worse than someone who joins for all the wrong reasons than someone who joins for all the wrong reasons and doesn't actually ever do anything?

So yeah, I'll check out what's all going on here, and maybe check out the Creativity Forum as well.

EDIT: Where would I go to ask questions? For example, I have something I could submit to either Creativity forum or as a source material; that is I have a completely finished tabletop RP rule book, in PDF form. I just need to know if a.) it is something I can submit, and/or b.) where.
If you are interested in advertising your site, you could use our subsite: http://www.toprpsites.com

Welcome to RPdom!

Thanks Dark Wizard. For a dark wizard, you are very helpful and inviting :P .

I joined that subsite as you have suggested! Thanks again!

mythus said:
Thanks Dark Wizard. For a dark wizard, you are very helpful and inviting :tongue:.
[media]

[/media]
But welcome to RPdom, hope to see you joining, or even running, a few games here soon! :D

Captain Hesperus

Haha, I am sure it is a trap. Never is a dark wizard nice and welcoming except when wishing to trap poor souls. Unfortunately for him, I am soulless... so... yeah.

You are completely cool to submit a finished game .pdf to either Creativity, or the Resource area - I've done it myself, though the game isn't finished yet (and as there is always room for improvement, might never be).

I'd say add it to the resouces if you want to make it available, and otherwise add some snippets to Creativity for a taste, and feedback.

I saw in your Seeking Games post you'd enjoy fantasy and/or steampunk. I would welcome you, therefore, into... the bulk of my games, if your schedule (busy and admirable) permits.

If nothing else, you might get a fun read out of it.

Oh, and if you're open to constructive criticism I'd love to see your game.

Trust the Wiz. The Wiz is Love.

Haha, I know all to well the "room for improvement" situation. It took me ten years before I released my first draft because I kept coming up with a "better idea", and even then the first draft was very rough. Right now I'm on my so-called edition 2 release of my finished game, it came about because well... always room for improvement. It's a never ending vicious cycle.

I'd actually love any constructive criticism I could get, to be honest. Besides my small group that plays the game here around my dining room table, I don't get much. The few that have it elsewhere in the world don't leave me much comments about it. While I'm sure there's bound to be some differences on opinion on some of the things done, I'm very open to hearing from completely unbiased sources on how things could be improved.

The pdf is a large file, hopefully I can attach it here. If not maybe I can link to it? It is freely downloadable by guests and all and is licensed under the Open Publication License.

Oh and I'll search your games out and take a good look at them! Thanks!

EDIT: I uploaded two resources awaiting approval. The core rule book and the character sheet. I was also going to upload the optional character spreadsheet, it makes character creation and maintenance so much easier (no need for calculators), but alas it's an .ods file (libreoffice/open office spreadsheet) and well... not an allowed file format. Oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Um... n00b question alert but... where do I find your RP's at Grey? I looked in the "Looking for Players" forum but many of the ones you created haven't had a post in them for a couple years. I saw one that really piqued my interest, the "To Ashes" one with the dying world (dying world, might not be system based, sounds awesome!), but last post in it was in 2011, and I didn't see it with all the RP's listed....

Oh, we recently changed from having a centralized list of ongoing games to uh...

Hm.

Man, I miss that list.

The dying world one (Ash & Moonlight) went defunct within two threads, sadly, but I want to pull it out again sometime.

Right now all of my games use the same system, so if you're cool with that:

Darkening Skits is high-fantasy sorta-steampunk timeline-hopping intrigue and adventure. Minimal GMing on my part here; it's for everyone to play and come up with scenes they'd like to see their characters interact in.

Fallen is grim low-fantasy about making terrible sacrifices and living with the consequences.

Tears in Rain is essentially a... hub-game. Every few months there's meant to be a new one-thread game in here. Not going according to schedule, right now...

To Reign In Hell is, as you might imagine, set in Hell, and involves the political intrigues, clandestine wars, coups, love affairs, and general baroque strangeness of Demons competing for power and prestige.

On which note, I'd better go update some of these. I'll have a read over Nor'Ova a little later.

Fallen looks intriguing. I'll have to read up on it and see what is all needed and how it plays and such.

I've not heard of Crucible before, oddly enough. I used to be pretty big in the different systems back in my high school days.. but then as the drain of adult responsibility hit I had to make those terrible sacrifices and before long the only system I kept up with any more was the one I was making. Sad right?

Any particular threads I need to read up on concerning Fallen? I'll look around in the Fallen board and see what I can find myself of course.

I wrote Crucible, so don't feel bad about that one. It's getting moderately popular here in Ireland and, seemingly, on RPdom, but even less busy you'd not hear of it.

But hey, while you're here, we've got a broad knowledge of systems, so we can always introduce you to good stuff when you've got the time.

You'll probably want to read this here, and then there's a character sheet template in the character subforum, and some relevant lore in the other subforum (mainly to help people decide on the nature of their Fall).

Though to get a feel for the game, most any character's thread is a good example.

mythus said:
I am a father of 2 wonderful children, a husband to a wonderful wife, a student who recently went back to college, and most important of all... a role player and writer.
That totally got me thinking about Gladiator :D

Ach, but where are my manners? I am known as Wolf, and am also the resident wolf here. Beware *rawrrr*

If you're not looking to actively roleplay here, then you will probably be utilizing the Creativity subforum. Word of advice - it's worth digging. You can find some pretty interesting stuff ;)

Otherwise I wish you a pleasant visit *bark*

mythus said:
<snip>
Any particular threads I need to read up on concerning Fallen? I'll look around in the Fallen board and see what I can find myself of course.
Welcome ~

I would also recommend having a bit of a look at some ongoing threads in Fallen, just to give you an idea about what's going on. The main idea is simple; we all begin as regular people, and fall in some fashion. Be it by demonic pact, or giving away part of ourselves to the fae; we become something else entirely, and the story goes on from there.

Demonic pacts link you to one of the six existing demonic archetypes, based on the deadly sins, minus Gluttony. Fae pacts turn you into a witch, and worshipper of an abstract concept made manifest; Winter, Night, Summer, Justice, The Wilds - there is a certain amount of free reign here if you wish to design your own fae deity, and that can be pretty fun.

*nods* Yeah, it is a very interesting premise. I can already imagine a character for it, a guy who had worked hard to be a good guy but when tragedy strikes him on his would be wedding day, he falls to grief... and anger. Long story short, the guy begs for the power to right the wrongs that were done to him. He gets that in the form of demonic possession and develops a split personality: the guy who is generally good and the demonic infused guy who is very much not good.

I'm not fully sure if that character idea fits that RP yet of course, it is simply what came to me with the little I've read of it so far. I still have to read up on how to make a bloody character as well since I have no knowledge of the system. I've skimmed over the core material and it looks simple enough. I just need to take the time to really read through it and see, and I need to find some threads or posts that show how the system is used in the RP.

Time... oh how I need more time....

BTW- thanks for the welcome Wolf and Alexandra!

mythus said:
*nods* Yeah, it is a very interesting premise. I can already imagine a character for it, a guy who had worked hard to be a good guy but when tragedy strikes him on his would be wedding day, he falls to grief... and anger. Long story short, the guy begs for the power to right the wrongs that were done to him. He gets that in the form of demonic possession and develops a split personality: the guy who is generally good and the demonic infused guy who is very much not good.
I'm not fully sure if that character idea fits that RP yet of course, it is simply what came to me with the little I've read of it so far. I still have to read up on how to make a bloody character as well since I have no knowledge of the system. I've skimmed over the core material and it looks simple enough. I just need to take the time to really read through it and see, and I need to find some threads or posts that show how the system is used in the RP.

<snip>
I'm not sure if Grey has rules for mental illness drawn up, but it can definitely be included. Or, you could do something similar to what Silvertongued is doing right now in the same forum; play a straight up fallen hero. A guy who had the best of intentions, but unfortunately got in over his head. That kind of internal struggle is always interesting to play.

Character creation is super simple; it usually takes less than ten minutes if you have an idea of what your character's personality and backstory is like. The first time may take a little longer if you're unused to it. There's only a bit of math, and that comes right at the end where certain traits are added together to determine things like speed, combat pool, offence and defence.

It'll probably take me longer simply because I'm not familiar with the system. The character backstory, personality, and stuff are one thing. The stats, traits, and skills are another entirely. I'm used to a very different system lol, so I'll want to make sure to read carefully all that is involved with stats and the like so I don't mess it up.

The math though, that's not an issue :P . Me likes me some maths.

Is there a place in Fallen to ask questions?

One I have right now: Who is this Historian? It says to tell the Historian my character concept. I assumed there was a forum to do so but alas... I could not find one.

Ah to feel so new and ignorant again...

mythus said:
Is there a place in Fallen to ask questions?
One I have right now: Who is this Historian? It says to tell the Historian my character concept. I assumed there was a forum to do so but alas... I could not find one.

Ah to feel so new and ignorant again...
Oh, it's a trend in the last few years for everyone to call the GM something different. Purgatory, the OOC thread, is where you can ask me anything.

mythus said:
Ah OK. I sort-of assumed as much, but you just never know...
It's good to ask these questions.

As you've probably noticed, there is a huge bank of boxes on the main page, each with a different illustration, and that's where the games happen. Each is a separate game with subforums, and there's always an out of character thread where one can ask the GM questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back