Anima Interaction and Eclipse Contracts

Dereis

Hit Me!
I have a player who wants the following ability for his eclipse caste:

He has selected his iconic anima to be all of the contracts that his exalted essence has ever made swirling around him as he blazes with light.

He now wants to be able to read or have implicit knowledge of all remaining active contracts.  Most of these would be from the first age, made with powerful beings (most other contracts would have expired).  I have no problem with this as a storyteller, as I can openly agree to or deny anything I see as an abuse of this power.

What should I make him do to pay for this ability?  Some kind of merit? Some background, like savant?  Or a lore specialty that he can roll to remember or have knowledge of an ancient contract?

Or should Eclipse caste just be allowed to have implicit knowledge of any binding contracts?  I could just say that all contracts are nulled upon the death or reincarnation of the Exalted.

This brought to mind a possible flaw, as well: Contracts: 1-3 pt flaw.  Your character is party to several standing Eclipse caste contracts from the First Age.    1pt version would be relatively light restrictions, or a small number of contracts, with number and severity increasing with the 2 and 3 point versions.  Any violation of a contract will cause a catastrophic botch.

I'd run it as a Merit, personally. Remembering past lives, or aspects thereof, seems to be the purview of Merits.

-S

Dereis said:
He now wants to be able to read or have implicit knowledge of all remaining active contracts.  Most of these would be from the first age, made with powerful beings (most other contracts would have expired).  I have no problem with this as a storyteller, as I can openly agree to or deny anything I see as an abuse of this power.
What should I make him do to pay for this ability?  Some kind of merit? Some background, like savant?  Or a lore specialty that he can roll to remember or have knowledge of an ancient contract?
There are two parts to this.  First, the ability itself.  This is a special application of the Past Lives Merit.  It gives the character a clear advantage and provides substantial working knowledge of the First Age.  How expensive it is depends on how much detail the player wishes to get from reading the details of the contracts.

Second, the benefit of the ability.  If the PC's former incarnation did indeed have several pacts with powerful creatures, AND the terms of those pacts included his subsequent reincarnations, then the player needs to purchase the appropriate Allies, Mentor, Backing, Influence, etc. Background to reflect the advantage he has.

Dereis said:
...I could just say that all contracts are nulled upon the death or reincarnation of the Exalted.
The contract (and the punishment meted out for the breaking thereof) is specifically stated to be upheld by the Heavens, and not directly derived from the power of the Eclipse, thus any contracts made are binding. Period.

As for the rest, I'm with memesis on this one.

Solfi said:
Dereis said:
...I could just say that all contracts are nulled upon the death or reincarnation of the Exalted.
The contract (and the punishment meted out for the breaking thereof) is specifically stated to be upheld by the Heavens, and not directly derived from the power of the Eclipse, thus any contracts made are binding. Period.

As for the rest, I'm with memesis on this one.
There is no guarantee that the TERMS of the contract include the Exalt's following incarnations, though.  "Swear allegiance to me" is not the same as "Swear allegiance to me or my spiritual successors".

In the real world, typical large-scale contracts will always include clauses that cover how long the duration is, under what terms either party can gracefully withdraw from the binding, and other "exception cases".  Software comes with a dense thicket of legalese for this reason, and also because contracts must ALSO abide by all applicable local laws and regulations.

I imagine that similarly, you couldn't write a binding oath that contravened the laws of Heaven - something like "this elemental must serve me any time I wish and must command all his subordinates and convince all his friends to help too" - and that there are specific conditions for release in many cases (such as reincarnation).  The fact that Summon Elemental already includes clearly built-in time constraints and warnings about proper treatment of elementals suggests that this is a canonical consideration.

Indeed; however, the converse can also be true--if the player is willing to pay all the associated costs with the backgrounds and merits that come with it. The Eclipse may have had the signatory of the contract at a disadvantage, so that many of the protective clauses common to those contracts are reduced or missing.

Another possibility: the signatory agreed to a highly disadvantageous contract through ignorance. Who reads all the clauses, anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back