Help me make a combo

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I have a tough time coming up with combos. Probably because I've never actually played to see them work. I now getting involved in an online game and the ST said we might want to start with a combo. I'm having trouble coming up with one from the charms that I've selected. It a Lunar game and here are my charms

Shape Shifting: Finding the Spirit’s Shape, Hide the Cunning Hunter, Deadly Beastman Transformation x1

Body Enhancement: Ox-Body Technique x1

Melee Combat: Sensing the Deadly Flow, Monkey Paw Advantage

Defensive: Bowing Reed Technique, Bending Before the Storm

Healing & Survival: Beast Instinct Method, Infection-Resisting Prana

Can anyone help me make a combo from these charms. Also, what do you think of my charm selections? I don't have much experience with Lunar charms. I've had the book for awhile but I've never gone into much depth with the charms section. My character is a Lunar No Moon who prefers a quick attacks over brute force

Thanks for the link. It gave me some ideas. I'm going to have to rethink my charm selection to get any of them to work though.

apeman321 said:
Shape Shifting: Finding the Spirit’s Shape, Hide the Cunning Hunter, Deadly Beastman Transformation x1
Body Enhancement: Ox-Body Technique x1

Melee Combat: Sensing the Deadly Flow, Monkey Paw Advantage

Defensive: Bowing Reed Technique, Bending Before the Storm

Healing & Survival: Beast Instinct Method, Infection-Resisting Prana

Can anyone help me make a combo from these charms.
You can eliminate some of these from combo consideration, because they don't have instant durations. That leaves Finding the Spirit’s Shape, Deadly Beastman Transformation (I hadn't realized these were instant and reflexive until just now, oops) and the melee, defense and healing ones. The healing charms don't make very good candidates for combos. Bowing Reed is also a bit, uh, dodgy, since it requires full dodge. You could conceive of combos using the others, but none would be that interesting. I could see maybe Deadly Beastman and the two melee charms comboing for a wicked surprise attack. Since Bending Before the Storm is a reflexive, you could add it to the combo and use it or not as needed. All it would cost is some extra xp.

BTW, it's good to consider combos as a lunar, because they don't have the restrictions on mixing charms that others do.

apeman321 said:
Also, what do you think of my charm selections? ... My character is a Lunar No Moon who prefers a quick attacks over brute force.
The charm selection is decent for a starting lunar, though none really scream "quick attacks". The earlier reference to the LunarsAreFine wiki page is your best bet. Also look at the section on lunar combat tactics, as it speaks to quick attacks.

I changed some of my charms

Melee: Sensing the Dealy Flow, Knowing Weapon Technique, Tiger Claw Swat

Defensive: Bowing Reed Technique, Bending Before the Storm, Wind-Dancing Technique

I have an idea for a combo worked out but I'm unsure if I should include a defensive charm in it. The only practical option is Bending Before the Storm, i think. Any advice?

apeman321 said:
The only practical option is Bending Before the Storm, i think. Any advice?
If you can spare the XP, you might as well include as many reflexives in a combo as you can. Unlike supplementals, you are not required to activate the reflexives when activating the combo, but can if you want. So it's a case of it being better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it, assuming you have the XP to buy it in the first place.

In my campaign, you'd also need to worry about training time, which get more scary as you add more charms.

Thanks for the advice.

I decided to add Wind-Dancing Method to the combo

It's a three charm combo; Knowing Weapon Technique, Tiger Claw Swat, and Wind-Dancing Method.

I wanted Monkey Paw Advantage in there but I don't have Manipulation at three.

Hi, I have another combo question. It deals with putting solar counterattack into combo.

The question is; is it  necessary? The charm description say that it is not action and doesn't affect a characters action for the turn. Wouldn't this mean that if I wanted to use it along side Heavenly Guardian Defence that it wouldn't need to be put in a combo? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not  am I missing any benefits of putting Solar Counter Attack in a combo?

apeman321 said:
Hi, I have another combo question. It deals with putting solar counterattack into combo.
The question is; is it  necessary? The charm description say that it is not action and doesn't affect a characters action for the turn. Wouldn't this mean that if I wanted to use it along side Heavenly Guardian Defence that it wouldn't need to be put in a combo? Please correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm not  am I missing any benefits of putting Solar Counter Attack in a combo?
It is a Charm.  Whether or not it is an ACTION has nothing to do with its Combo status. For a Solar to use multiple Charms in the same COMBAT TURN, he must Combo them.

So to use it with HGD requires that you Combo.

The benefit of Comboing SC is that you could use it with HGD.  If you don't, you could not.

Now that you explained it it seems obvious. Does it show that I've never played a game of Exalted before? Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back