ꜱᴘᴀᴄᴇ ᴅᴇᴛᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇꜱ

Tolo took another swig of beer and pulled a face, but not because of the drink's taste (that particular brand was actually one of her favorites). Things just kept getting weirder for her today. First it was Sidro's job that she had explicitly stated was out of her wheelhouse, though she had quietly resolved to leave the actual murdering of Jahher to Esmis. Then it was the revelation literal seconds ago. Both things were not at all what she had been expecting, and both things had resulted in her becoming increasingly wary about the entire situation, so that everything would pass without incident and she could get back to taking regular jobs ASAP. She decided that she was just going to stay out of Esmis' hair as much as possible.

"Right," the Twi'lek muttered. "Just do my part. And aside from piloting the ship, my part would be...?" She didn't pretend to know anything about the ins and outs of assassination missions, or what exactly an assassin's accomplice did.

The grimace on Tolo's face was so obvious that even Esmis managed to pick it up. That only reinforced the feelings of fear and distrust she had been picking up from her all through the conversation. Whatever this girl had seen or heard about Force users must have been terrible enough for her to distrust them by default — which was the smart thing to do, really.

Esmis looked towards her quizzically at the question, as if this was the first time she had actually considered her role in the operation. A brief silence passed between the two before she answered, rather bluntly. "Gathering information. We can cover more ground that way." The assassin usually preferred to work alone and hunt down her targets over long periods of time, so even coming up with something for her to do other than her pre-assigned job was a struggle. Maybe Tolo would be able to help her with the rest of the job - maybe she wouldn't. The suggestion had come off of the top of her head, and Esmis really did not know enough about the Twi'lek to make a sound judgment about her abilities.

The Anzati shrugged. "You are much harder to recognize than I am. People see dozens of Twi'leks everyday, but maybe one Anzati to last a lifetime. Yes?"

"... You're not wrong," Tolo said, taking another sip of beer. Information gathering was not exactly within her usual wheelhouse, but it couldn't be too dissimilar from cargo smuggling, right? Both actions required a certain precision- skill at getting things in and out, and not letting anybody cotton on to what you were trying to do.

As far as Galactic species went, Twi'leks were indeed a dime a dozen, especially beautiful grubby ones like her; blending in would likely be easy. Plus, she had smuggled information about once before (though it had been physically stored information, and it had almost ended in complete disaster) so the idea wasn't exactly foreign to her. Just not the most familiar to her. She could do it. If she really put her mind to it and avoided repeating the same mistake as last time, she could pull it off.

Probably.

"Alright, I'll bite," said Tolo, finishing off her beer can. "I'm gathering information, yeah? But what kind? What exactly am I looking for? I need deets, Esmis. Deets. People, places, that sort of thing."

"Anything that might tell me where Jahher has been. If they have seen or worked with him, I want to know. Sidro gave the time and location of where he was seen when he was on the planet," Esmis said, nodding. Although she hadn't been around many other assassins in the past (and her social skills were frankly lacking), she was confident she could work out Jahher's thought process with some effort. Still, she didn't want to get Tolo's hopes up too much. "We might find something. We might not. If he is as much of a threat as Sidro says, we may have have to take this more... slowly." And turn this into a solo, long term mission, she thought to herself.

The assassin shook her datapad and turned it on, scrolling a little before she found the passage she was looking for. She cleared her throat. "There were a few possible leads, but it will take us a while to follow all of them through. Some of them may be dead by now, but we should at least try."

"Hmmm. Possible leads being dead... doesn't exactly sound promising," Tolo said, rubbing her chin. But she supposed that that sort of thing came with being a more outgoing, more deadly criminal like Esmis or Jahher. All the more reason to be cautious about this; she didn't want to end up like them. She edged around the Anzati woman to peer over her arm at the contents of the datapad, curious about its contents. "So, who's first on the list? And where would he... she... it... be? Just so I'll know where to park."

The assassin flipped the datapad over the other way as fast as Tolo had made her way over, holding the device out at arm's length in the opposite direction. The instinctive move mostly likely just raised the tension in the room to a new high, but Esmis didn't regret it. Boundaries needed to be set. "That's confidential. I'll give you the information you need."

Esmis cleared her throat and took a small step away from the smuggler, positioning the datapad so that it was facing away from her. She stayed there for a moment, squinting at the screen. "Apparently there's one on the west side of town who got a good look at Jahher here. I wouldn't expect a... Chiss to survive for very long out here, but apparently she's the cautious type. Wouldn't give her name." She quirked an eyebrow at Tolo. "Have you ever seen one before?"

Tolo fingered her chin, sifting through her booze-hazy brain in search of something relating to a Chiss. "Those are the blue ones, right?" she asked. "Blue skin, red eyes. Not bald, though, those are something else... I think." In her defense, she had been impaired that night, and it had been dark. She had not been, and still was not, able to recall if he had been a Duros, or a Chiss with a shaved head. What she could recall, however, was that it had been a very unpleasant night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back